Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 23:54   #4561
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
HDMI will work only if your TV is capable of supporting HDMI inputs of both 50/60 Hz. In the US, signal is of 60 Hz, but in India its 50 Hz (due to electricity cycles being 50/60 Hz respectively).
Flat panel TV is a DC device and is independent of AC frequency or voltage. Internally an SMPS converts AC to DC. For example specs of this TV:

Home entertainment re-defined - UA40C6900VR - LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Power specs: Power Supply AC100-240V 50/60Hz

Regarding HDMI:

These TVs support signals from 40 Hz to 60 Hz. So there should not be any issue.
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2011, 10:39   #4562
BHPian

Yesterday tried hard to make Mezzmo show in my LCD, but no luck. I have turned off firewall in my laptop, enabled UPnP in my router, but for some reason the Mezzmo media server didnt show up in the LCD.

But my Laptop shows up, which has Samsung PC share manager installed.

Anybody has tried streaming videos from Mezzmo?

Please help.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:39   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, an update.

I went ahead and bought the 32" LE5300 LED TV from LG. It cost me Rs. 34900 apprx at the LG exclusive store here in Bangalore. I bought it on an EMI option, paying just 500 bucks as downpayment.

Now, coming to why this model, which is only HD ready, and not FHD with wireless LAN features:
- I tried comparing the output with another FHD model from LG for the same HD input. For the life of me, i could not make out the difference.
- The suggestion/fact that for smaller screen sizes the difference in picture quality isnt too obvious.
- Apprx 10k price difference to the next FHD variant
- Lazy person like me is not too inclined to connect to a wireless network to watch TV and so on...
- Plays Divx HD, so seemed to satisfy my requirements.

Thanks a lot to those who contributed with their suggestions and opinions.
You made the right choice buddy , FHD in 32" is of no use at all.
Better to get a feature packed 32 or 42" or if FHD is the requirement 46" and above makes sense.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:55   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I doubt my TS STB has that kind of option.But there is another good option to bypass NTSC/PAL thingy is to buy HD version of DTH e.g. TataSky HD which has HDMI output that will go into HDMI input of any TV.
What Netfreak is saying is different. Please do more research on this. NTSC TV bought from US will not play PAL in India even if its HDMI. We are not talking about the power frequency here. Its the refresh rate on the TV. You might need a scaler.

I would be happy to know I am wrong in this case!

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd March 2011 at 10:59.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:09   #4565
Senior - BHPian

I wonder which TV does not switch between NTSC and PAL today.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:15   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What Netfreak is saying is different. Please do more research on this. NTSC TV bought from US will not play PAL in India even if its HDMI. We are not talking about the power frequency here. Its the refresh rate on the TV. You might need a scaler.

I would be happy to know I am wrong in this case!
I don't know about HDMI, but can vouch for VGA working ok.

I have connected my cable to the STB and connected STB to a computer TV Tuner box with VGA output, which is connected to my NTSC only TV. And this, my friends, plays local (read PAL) STB signal output perfectly on my bought-from-USA NTSC only LCD tv. But my tv supports 110-240V 50/60Hz electricity supply, so I thankfully did not have to get a voltage convertor.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:17   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I wonder which TV does not switch between NTSC and PAL today.
TVs not bought in developing countries!
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:42   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
NTSC TV bought from US will not play PAL in India even if its HDMI. We are not talking about the power frequency here. Its the refresh rate on the TV. You might need a scaler.
NTSC / PAL are "Analogue" video standards. These would not matter with HDMi connections.

I am using LCD that was bought in US and never had any problems with that in India.

In digital signals, TV and Video source perform a "handshake" and agree on a refresh rate + resolution that is supported by both.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:32   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Now, since some of the videos are not compatible with my TV, can I play them in WMP12 and stream them to my TV? This way, I can save some time in converting the not supported movies.

I have enabled and configured WMP12 to stream, but do not know how to view them in my LCD.

Anybody???
Quote:
Yesterday tried hard to make Mezzmo show in my LCD, but no luck. I have turned off firewall in my laptop, enabled UPnP in my router, but for some reason the Mezzmo media server didnt show up in the LCD.

But my Laptop shows up, which has Samsung PC share manager installed.

Anybody has tried streaming videos from Mezzmo?

Please help.

What is your TV model mate?

I am not too sure about Mezzmo and Twonky (as they are not free ware) but I recommend PS3 Media server if you are OK with a bit of tweaking with .conf files.

P.S: For Samsung 5 series LED, PC share manager is THE BEST. I guess because my TV supports almost all the formats!
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:51   #4570
BHPian

My model is Samsung LA40C550 40" LCD. If I dont have a HDD, then PC Share manager is the best bet.

But as of now, if some video are not played in the TV, I convert them. It takes 2 hours for me to do it.

So thought, I can play those files in my laptop and stream it to the TV.

I am on the technical side, so no problems in fiddling with the conf files.

I have also downloaded TVersity, which is a free version. Need to check if it works.

Note: I do not have an PS3

Last edited by dre@ms : 22nd March 2011 at 12:52.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:03   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Note: I do not have an PS3
The latest Smasung TVs generally support many formats. Let me know which format you are facing problems with.

PS3 media server, though developed for PS3 is compatible with many DLNA devices which include Samsung too.

And for a DLNA server (Mezzmo) not being visible on your TV check that yourTV's IP is accepted in the security setting of the Server. Like in PC share manager you need to manually set the device policy. I guess it is the same with Mezzmo too.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:17   #4572
BHPian

Some MKV files doesnt play. TV shows video codec not supported. So, I change them to AVI. I have also compared the fps in the playable/not playable file, both seems to be same. May be the codec used to convert them to smaller sizes is the culprit.

Since the new firmware is out, thought these would be addresses, but my bad luck, I am not able to apply the firmware, even though it is for my model number.

I have allowed the IP of TV in Mezzmo, turned off firewall in Laptop with no luck.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:21   #4573
Senior - BHPian

An alternative is to buy a media player (Xtremaer / NBox et. el.). It would cost 4 - 10k, but it would play almost every audio/video file. File could be on network (shared folders/ internet) or in NAS or in HDD connected to media player via USB.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:24   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some MKV files doesnt play. TV shows video codec not supported. So, I change them to AVI. I have also compared the fps in the playable/not playable file, both seems to be same. May be the codec used to convert them to smaller sizes is the culprit.

Since the new firmware is out, thought these would be addresses, but my bad luck, I am not able to apply the firmware, even though it is for my model number.

I have allowed the IP of TV in Mezzmo, turned off firewall in Laptop with no luck.
Some MKV files? So there are others that work is it?

To rule out the PC Share Manager/ DLNA server problem try playing that file using USB, if it plays then there should not be any problem with TV. And you can nail it on transcoding and hence try installing new codecs among other options.

New firmware? For which all models? I dont see anything available for mine.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:34   #4575
BHPian

Here is the page for my model.

Designed to suit your style Samsung LCD TV Series - LA40C550J1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

The release date for the firmware is on 28 Jan, 2011

And I am not complaining my TV is not supporting some formats. I am quite very happy, since my LCD plays even the flv video files downloaded from Youtube.

Since, my tv is DLNA enabled and can pick up streaming videos from PC, need to check if it works. Simple!!!

Have downloaded PS3 media server. What are the changes to be done in the conf files?

And I believe, only one media server should be present in my laptop. Once back home, will try to remove pc share manager and check with Mezzmo. Dont work, will remove Mezzmo and try with TVersity, if no luck, will remove it and try with PS3 media server.

@Netfreakbombay
Problem is not with supported format, it is to check whether my TV works as it has to be. Thats all. So, your option doesnt suit me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks