Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 09:49   #3061
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have used a Bravia 40 LCD for a year now, and while it works fine, the image quality drops off very quickly as one moves off center, the images can be seen but the colors get washed out. So, two questions - what distance do you view it from, and, lets say you put in 5 chairs in front of it at that distance, side by side with foot of space between each - would the image quality be close that in the center chair, from the two chairs at either ends. I am referring to use for DVD/Blu ray playback.
I have checked the Panasonic 32X9 LCD in Ezone and believe me it has superb viewing angle compared to any other.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:00   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Just want to update, that, I did pick up Panasonic Plasma - G10 P42. Yesterday it was delivered and installed at my place
Congrats !
I have 2 queries:
1. Did you compare with C10 for non HD & HD content? How is the response for cable/DTH signal?
2. Any info on Viera Cast?
Old 15th October 2009, 11:05   #3063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not that I noticed. It was fairly similar. And IMO, for majorly DTH viewing it's better to go for a 32". The pixellations etc will be less visible at say a 8ft distance than a 40" TV.

One difference that I did feel was there - the angle of viewing was better in the 530. Picture did not fade away as much as compared to the 450.

I went for the FHD since a) I would be watching some DVDs on it and b) given the 3-4K I decided to go for the higher 5 series and "on paper" better technology. The 5 series looks good too.
Had to settle for the 450 since the 530 was not in stock. My mother insisted the TV must come on Dhanterus.

Even the 530 in 32inch does not come with the upscaling DVD !
Old 15th October 2009, 16:43   #3064
BHPian

I too have got delivery of my G10 a couple of days back. Have posted my opinion so far with its performance using various sources in the HifiVision forum.
Old 19th October 2009, 08:29   #3065
BANNED

After much deliberation and looking at my pass book finally went yesterday to E-Zone for the second time in two weeks and confirmed what I had seen earlier- The Panasonic 32X9D was looking better or same as the Samsung B450, LG LH20 which are more pricey, so swiped the card bought it without further ado. They had no freebies for this panny model since it was priced the lowest at 29,900 but I managed to bargain 1K off and got it for 28,900 which is the best VFM out there I think.

I was interested in the 42C10 but since it is slightly bigger for our living room I instead went for the 32" LCD and at that size I don't have to worry about FHD too. Now with the saved $$ I can also think of some decent HTiB .
Old 19th October 2009, 09:35   #3066
BANNED

Going through this thread many times and unable to decide many times weather to buy Plasma or LCD, finally bought home LG Plasma 42PQ30 on 16th. Picture quality looks better than LCD. It has cost me Rs.37000 net by credit card after too much of bargaining, though I missed a chance at Ebay last month, deal was for Rs.35000 and 6 months installments.
The problem is we have put it in the bedroom and viewing distances only 9-10 feet and feel I should be at least 15 feet for 42" TV, what do you suggest ?
Old 19th October 2009, 12:25   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
The problem is we have put it in the bedroom and viewing distances only 9-10 feet and feel I should be at least 15 feet for 42" TV, what do you suggest ?

extrmely good price for the panel! and with regards to the distance, it should be more than enough. anything from 6 feet onwards is more than ok for a 42".
Old 19th October 2009, 13:19   #3068
BANNED

Quote:
extrmely good price for the panel! and with regards to the distance, it should be more than enough. anything from 6 feet onwards is more than ok for a 42".
I understand but 6 feet is too less for 42" TV, It should be at least 10 feet because otherwise picture will be very blurr and you will have move your neck from one side to other side quite often and will be pain.
Old 19th October 2009, 14:27   #3069
BHPian

I can vouch that 9 feet is a good distance for a 42" HD ready plasma/lcd
Old 19th October 2009, 14:41   #3070
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on what is the quality of the source. With even an upscaling DVD player as an input, the correct distance to watch a movie comes down to 2/2.5 times the screen size, this means a viewing distance of 7-9 feet.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:48   #3071
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It all depends on what is the quality of the source. With even an upscaling DVD player as an input, the correct distance to watch a movie comes down to 2/2.5 times the screen size, this means a viewing distance of 7-9 feet.
It is absurd to make a calculation for viewing distance when one already has the TV. Just move back until the display seems clean and sharp enough.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:57   #3072
BHPian

As mentioned earlier, if all you're watching is the craþþy stream served up by the neighbourhood cablewallah, you'd probably find the picture produced by a 21" CRT much better than a 42" plasma.
Old 19th October 2009, 21:07   #3073
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
As mentioned earlier, if all you're watching is the craþþy stream served up by the neighbourhood cablewallah, you'd probably find the picture produced by a 21" CRT much better than a 42" plasma.
In fact crt is much better any time in picture quality than Lcd or Plasma, thats what I have found.
Old 20th October 2009, 07:32   #3074
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
In fact crt is much better any time in picture quality than Lcd or Plasma, thats what I have found.
Unqualified statements like this cause a lot of confusion to people. If CRT was much better why would companies invest millions of $$ on developing LCD and Plasma? The correct answer is CRT is good for old style analog transmissions but LCD/Plasma beat CRT hands down in new high resolution digital transmission and media format.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:35   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
If CRT was much better why would companies invest millions of $$ on developing LCD and Plasma? The correct answer is CRT is good for old style analog transmissions but LCD/Plasma beat CRT hands down in new high resolution digital transmission and media format.
CRT has its advantages:
  1. Resolution & Aspect Ratio- Operate at any resolution, geometry and aspect ratio without the need for rescaling the image.
  2. Black-Level - Produce a very dark black.
  3. White Saturation - Bright-end of the intensity scale is very rugged
  4. Contrast - Produce the highest static contrast levels
  5. Gray-Scale - perfectly smooth gray-scale
  6. Gamma shape of the gray-scale- close to a perfect power-law,
  7. Color and Gray-Scale Accuracy - the very best color and gray-scale.
  8. Motion Artifacts - Have fast response times and no motion artifacts. Best for rapidly moving or changing images.
  9. Cost - Less expensive than comparable displays using other display technologies.
Where it loses out:
  1. Physical size - The picture tube makes it bulky
  2. Emissions - Give off electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields.
Due to the clear images it produces, graphic designers in our company still prefer CRT monitors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks