Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 14:11   #2956
BHPian

amitk26 - that was a typo by greenh0rn - panasonic is not getting *****ier with higher end models :-) and are an organisation of global reputation equal to samsung and sony if not better.
Sony and most manufacturers jumped out of plasma business and pioneer and panny persevered for longer to get us some really good display technology. So lets not make sweeping generalisations without any research.

Last edited by jassi : 25th September 2009 at 14:22.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:01   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
amitk26 - that was a typo by greenh0rn - panasonic is not getting *****ier with higher end models :-) and are an organisation of global reputation equal to samsung and sony if not better.
Sony and most manufacturers jumped out of plasma business and pioneer and panny persevered for longer to get us some really good display technology. So lets not make sweeping generalisations without any research.
It is not about repute Samsung invested in developing SOC for HDTV which payed in long run S5H2200 was first one branded as DNie they were compteting with Sony which brands the SOC as Bravia.
This does not mean that full IP is from Samsung or Sony in the respective cases but they have lot of flexibility to integrate IP from various 3ed party like TenSilica or TI for various blocks to churn out new features.
The current series 6,7,8 etc are using successors of same SOC family.

Many other manufacturers continued to source SOC from other OEM vendors so scaling up to next model is not to easy and in case SOC platform is changed few features also change.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:46   #2958
BHPian

agreed Amit - i am in no way undermining the work of Sony and Samsung :-) was just commenting on your remark at panny. Both panny and pio have done some great work with plasma displays and no I don't have the indepth details in chipsets or other technical aspects (like you cite), will leave that to other experts on this thread.
so peace man :-)

On a side note, there is a lot more money in lcds as most manufacturers jumped onto the lcd bandawagon thinking plasma is dead and has too many issues (like burn-in), when reality there was a lot more scope as evidenced by current plasmas. Due to vast lcd lobby and marketing money behind it, most of the people are blinded by the lcd makers gimmicks and go for a budget lcd - when for the same price they could get a really good plasma. Now I am not saying all LCDs suck, it depends on what they are being used for and there are some really good lcd displays in the mid to high price ranges. In 'most' cases, the plasmas are better displays for a similarly priced lcd and this is the very reason they still feature high on the cnets and other digital av publications.
The only lcd technology that i personally experienced to be really good was the rear projection lcds by sony and they were pulled out as they were interfering with non-rp lcd sales :-)

Last edited by jassi : 25th September 2009 at 16:47.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:15   #2959
BHPian

Ok, as helpfully explained by Jassi and others, it makes sense to take a 720p model like PV80 or C series at this point in time. Now another quick q- PV80 and C10 42" are priced almost the same. Is C10 a new-gen, therefore better, therefore must-buy model compared to the venerable PV80? (as per Panny India website).
Old 25th September 2009, 17:39   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Today i have got offer of Samsung LED TV 40 Inch for 1,12,000/- and 22" LCD free. How is offer?
Hope this is for 6 series. It was available for 95k without the free offer. LA40B650 may be a better value at about 72k.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:17   #2961
BHPian

LG 32' Full HD or LG 42' Plasma

Hello all,

I have been reading a lot of review on the LCD's and Plasma's, but i'm still confused as to which one to buy.

My Hall dimensions are 18*17.

One more questions for a specific model from LG 42PQ70, can this plasma display 1080p movies perfectly as a Full HD LCD.

Thanks
Old 26th September 2009, 15:55   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Currently the X10 and S10 are HD ready 720p models.
Made a mistake there.

G10 and S10 are FHD models
X10 and C10 are HD ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito_parry View Post
One more questions for a specific model from LG 42PQ70, can this plasma display 1080p movies perfectly as a Full HD LCD.
At the 42" screen size, if you watch from a distance of around 10 feet, for all practical purposes, it'll be difficult to notice the difference.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:36   #2963
BHPian

hello all
about 8 months back i was in the same dilemma- lcd or plasma,then i hit upon this thread.i got to know about the problems faced with plasma-higher power consumption,BURN IN,room heating,dead or dying technology e.t.c.
at my place there was not even a single showroom displaying plasma and lcd together.ahere ever i went the show room guys started cermoning about the lcds being better than plasma.i religiously followed this thread,cleared all my doubts and went in for plasma.
its 6 months since i bought it,i am throughly enjoying each and every moment with my panny pv8. the picture quality is astonoshing.
its raining movies every night in my plasma.my wife was a bit sceptical about the plasma but she is the one liking it very much now.both of us are in fact addicted to it now.
power consumption-the plasma runs for min of 5 to 6 hrs a day-there is no significant change the bills
burn in-the most dreaded complication.i did not face the problem.
room heating-a myth.
i thank all the panny guys for helping me to make this wonderful purchase.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:30   #2964
BHPian

Has any one checked out LG LH90?
Was about to pick LH50, but saw this one. Both LG showrooms speak negative about LH90, am confused.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:23   #2965
BHPian

Hi All, Its just been three days of exp with my brand new Panny Plasma 42" C10. This has been a great exp, I am just totally addicted, & have watched 5 movies over the last weekend & got the Airtel setup box installed yday.

Its just been a great feeling & thank to jassi & other who helped me making this decision

I started off to buy a 32" LCD & ended up buying this one

Cheers, Nitin
Old 29th September 2009, 11:53   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Hi All, Its just been three days of exp with my brand new Panny Plasma 42" C10. This has been a great exp, I am just totally addicted, & have watched 5 movies over the last weekend & got the Airtel setup box installed yday.

Its just been a great feeling & thank to jassi & other who helped me making this decision

Cheers, Nitin
excellent choice Nitin Glad to know you are enjoying it so much
Old 29th September 2009, 12:36   #2967
BHPian

My bro-in-laws 21" CTV conked off on Sunday and was on the verge of getting fuzzy and useless even after a quick repair on Sunday evening. So we went off to Vijay Sales on Monday morning and after a lot of model searching and comparisons, we zeroed in on the following model from BenQ :

BenQ India - Consumer Electronics

he got the product for 34K ( after a discount of 2K on his CTV) and had it delivered on Monday evening. The demo and wall mounting are pending and will be done on Thursday\Friday this week.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:38   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, Its just been three days of exp with my brand new Panny Plasma 42" C10......
Guys, have seen ads of new models of panny plasmas. How do they compare against "legendary" PV8/PV80?
Old 29th September 2009, 14:30   #2969
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers, Nitin
Nitin

How is the picture quality with Airtel STB?
Old 30th September 2009, 11:35   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varma View Post
Nitin

How is the picture quality with Airtel STB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Guys, have seen ads of new models of panny plasmas. How do they compare against "legendary" PV8/PV80?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
excellent choice Nitin Glad to know you are enjoying it so much
Varma, the pic quality what I found in airtel is brilliant compared to tata sky, no doubts about it. However the set up box given by Airtel, gets heated quickly, which I need to check this with their customer service..No idea why though

Santosh: What was told to me by the Panny Shop / Guys was the PV series is a 2008 Model & the C series is 2009, other wise there is not much of a differeence

Thanks Jassi, if not for your posts, i wouldn't have even looked at this option..

Last edited by crn12 : 30th September 2009 at 11:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks