Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 07:27   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
hahaha - i have a 42" plasma and a 42" LCD for years, but no pretty girls yet
For that you need to be Ranbir Kapoor

I am thinking of replacing my age old 21" CRT with 42"+ LCD or Plasma, was waiting for full HD prices to become reasonable. Inquired at Panasonic brand shop, and came to know that they are having special Diwali discount and 3 year warranty (instead of usual 1 year) till this Sunday. Following two plasma models are attractive-

1. xxx42S10D (full-HD) Rs. 58K (G10 with NeoPDP is costlier @73K)
2. xxx42C10D (HD) Rs. 45K

My neighbor has bought a full HD Samsung LCD for about 52K which also seemed quite good, but he didn't have high quality content to test, tata sky and some divx's were obviously not so stunning. But one thing I noted is that there was no noticeable difference in colors when I changed viewing position (from left to right, up-down) and having non-glossy finish there wasn't much of reflection problem. Panny plasma looked very good with DVD or HD content, but being glossy I was a bit worried. My hall has two big windows on both sides, though not in front of TV's location.

Another friend suggested that LG has got 42" full HD LCDs for as low as 40-45K range. I am confused now! Please advise, I have only a couple of days to decide in case Panasonic offer is to be en-cashed.
Old 23rd October 2009, 07:42   #3092
Senior - BHPian

You are aware that Plasma's suck up lots of electricity ? , you get huge electrifying bills . .
Old 23rd October 2009, 08:06   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
For that you need to be Ranbir Kapoor
yeah he is my clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
You are aware that Plasma's suck up lots of electricity ? , you get huge electrifying bills . .
in my experience panny plasmas consume power equal if not less than LCDs - the reason being they vary the power based on contrast ratio. So the monthly bills are similar to an LCD. Goto any panny store and they have a nice glossy explaining power consumption on their plasmas.
Old 23rd October 2009, 08:12   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I have following knowledge about power numbers-
1. Older generation plasmas used to consume huge amount of power ( heard of 1000W, which is like a geyser!). Above mentioned models have ratings of 350W for FHD and 285W for HD, much lesser.
2. LCD power ratings are lesser, but they consume continuous power, whereas for plasmas it is peak power (when the whole screen is fully bright white!). It is like RMS versus PMPO wattage in audio. Overall, present plasma power consumption won't be much higher than LCDs.
3. Both plasmas and LCDs anyway would consume lesser power than CRTs.

Please correct if anything is mistaken.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:55   #3095
BANNED

Santosh if you are planning for Plasma go for Penny and for LCD none other then Philips and i can bet against any LCD available in India.
Check out in Modern World a old airport road, very good collection of large screen TV's.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:06   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Following two plasma models are attractive-

1. xxx42S10D (full-HD) Rs. 58K (G10 with NeoPDP is costlier @73K)
2. xxx42C10D (HD) Rs. 45K
The models might be attractive, but the quotes are not! In Delhi, I got a quote for G10 for 63-65k (don't exactly remember), while S10 was for 55-56k. C10 best quote was about 44k. All quotes from Panny showroom in some Saket mall (I think it was DLF Place).
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:53   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
If its LG & LCD you could check out the LH90 series too, its a newer one. Was 68K a fortnight ago. (LG's website is not upto date)
Are you kidding? 42" LED TV for 68k! Just checked the LG website. It shows 90k there. I presume even the street price won't be less than 80k.
http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Produc...arent=LCD%20TV
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:14   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Are you kidding? 42" LED TV for 68k! Just checked the LG website. It shows 90k there. I presume even the street price won't be less than 80k.
Bought this one last month end. They seem to have updated the website since then, back then there was no information about LH 50 or LH 90 on the website.
Yes, the list price is 90K. 82K is the festive price, 76K is what the dealer offers it for. Refusing the freebies with the set lessens the price to 70K. Then a bit of cajoling for the best price gets it down further. Though, the branded showrooms or LG showroom's best price w/o the freebies was between 73 and 79K.

Last edited by theMAG : 23rd October 2009 at 21:33. Reason: As requested
Old 24th October 2009, 12:18   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
In Delhi, I got a quote for G10 for 63-65k (don't exactly remember)
Thanks green and Ajay for suggestions. Guess Panasonic salesman was trying to push S10 over G10 as the later is in high demand and out of stock. But then he was also suggesting me to go for HD model instead of FHD, however I am inclined towards FHD because I don't think it will be too late before blue-ray discs and/or FHD TV (IPTV/DTH etc) become common, in addition to PC and game consoles being other possible sources of FHD content. So, it should be OK to pay some premium (for me, it is about 10K) extra for a 1080 panel.

On some other forum, I read that many people have bought G10 for about 60-65K and some even at 56-57K (in Kolkata).

I surely need to visit Modern world and couple of others- Girias and Pai showrooms suggested by my colleague as best price shops. (These days we are really spoiled for choices!)
Old 24th October 2009, 17:20   #3100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
CRT has its advantages:
  1. Resolution & Aspect Ratio- Operate at any resolution, geometry and aspect ratio without the need for rescaling the image.
  2. Black-Level - Produce a very dark black.
  3. White Saturation - Bright-end of the intensity scale is very rugged
  4. Contrast - Produce the highest static contrast levels
  5. Gray-Scale - perfectly smooth gray-scale
  6. Gamma shape of the gray-scale- close to a perfect power-law,
  7. Color and Gray-Scale Accuracy - the very best color and gray-scale.
  8. Motion Artifacts - Have fast response times and no motion artifacts. Best for rapidly moving or changing images.
  9. Cost - Less expensive than comparable displays using other display technologies.
Where it loses out:
  1. Physical size - The picture tube makes it bulky
  2. Emissions - Give off electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields.
Due to the clear images it produces, graphic designers in our company still prefer CRT monitors.
I have to admit that you are correct. I was a little gun-ho after buying the LCD TV last week and after watching it a last few days- it simply doesn't compare to our old 21"CRT. The contrast and PQ is better in the CRT than the new LCD.
Old 25th October 2009, 03:02   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Visited 3 shops mentioned earlier. To my surprise, 2 of them do not deal with Panasonic and Philips at all! Though one of them quoted good prices for LG LED-LCD models- 60-63K for LH50 and 67K for LH90.

Modern world had both Philips LCDs (model number 7xxx, if that's what Ajay meant) as well as Panasonic plasmas. Philips LCD indeed looked very good, though salesman himself admitted that panasonic plasm look better/more natural under normal lighting in house or even better if you make it full dark One thing that I didn't expect was that plasma showed easily noticeable flicker, not across whole screen, but only for moving objects while playing a DVD in 5xxp format, whereas philips LCD was stunningly smooth with some 100 or 200hz pixel-perfect feature!

Why this flicker when the plasma has 550 or 600hz refresh rate? doesn't that also contradict with general consensus that plasmas are very good at reproducing fast moving scenes?
Old 25th October 2009, 10:00   #3102
BHPian

hello guys,

I wish to replace my Samsung 29 inches CRT with an LCD/Plasma. Well the requirement is simple:

i. Cheap and trouble free
ii. No gizmos needed. Let us keep it simple and straight.
iii. 29 inches and above would be fine with me.

Any suggestion for entry level LCDs/Plasma. Please list the brand and the quoted price. If possible the store name where the quote was obtained.

Thanks, Mutant
Old 25th October 2009, 21:00   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Well, finally took the plunge with 42S10D full-HD Panasonic plasma @57K inclusive of wall mount/installation and 3 years warranty! Expected to be installed tomorrow. (BTW, recently my cable wallah has provided power backup which keeps his network active even in case of power failures. So, I have dismissed plans of getting any DTH and ordered a Hathway digital cable box instead)

PS: I was concerned whether he is giving me a showroom piece that I saw a couple of days back and wasn't there today. Confirmed with them twice that I should be getting a fresh piece, was told that the piece has been already sold. Hope that particular customer is not me.

Last edited by santosh.s : 25th October 2009 at 21:06.
Old 25th October 2009, 21:29   #3104
BHPian

Quote:
PS: I was concerned whether he is giving me a showroom piece that I saw a couple of days back and wasn't there today. Confirmed with them twice that I should be getting a fresh piece, was told that the piece has been already sold. Hope that particular customer is not me.
congrats, but beware this same thing happened to me with the panny store korramangala. I had that posted here and had to speak to the panny regional mgr to get it replaced!
Old 25th October 2009, 22:06   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
Well, finally took the plunge with 42S10D full-HD Panasonic plasma @57K inclusive of wall mount/installation and 3 years warranty! Expected to be installed tomorrow. (BTW, recently my cable wallah has provided power backup which keeps his network active even in case of power failures. So, I have dismissed plans of getting any DTH and ordered a Hathway digital cable box instead)
Congrats mate, I think you got it at just the right price and that 3-year warranty sounds lovely! And yeah, I too use a Hathway box and compare it favorably to DTH (no signal problem in rains ), and of course Hathway works out much cheaper than DTH!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks