Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:57   #2821
BHPian

Can any body comment on VU LCD Tvs, especially the recently launched Intelligent LCD TV by VU.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:52   #2822
BHPian

Hi Guys,

How good is Panasonic Viera TX-32LE8? And what is the prevailing price for it?

Please reply. I intend to buy it today evening.

Regards

Nitin
Old 29th July 2009, 14:06   #2823
Senior - BHPian

guys, was the 5% duties cut which was announced in the budget for the lcd and plasma tvs, has it been implemented? hearing diff news, some say it has been implimented and some say it will from aug first week, any exact updates?

Last edited by aadix : 29th July 2009 at 14:09.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:53   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Hi Guys
Planning to add a TV to the living area. The viewing distance is 15 feet.
1) Is 42" TV sufficient as per the viewing distance? Or should go for 50"/55" Plasma TV?

2) Which will be best option under 80k for TV? Shortlisted the following so far -

a) Panasonic Plasma 42" - P42G10D - 70k
b) LG Plasma 50" - LG50PQ70 vs Samsung Plasma 50" 50B550A? - 70k
c) VU 55" LCD - Pricing?
d) VU 46" Intelligent LCD TV - 80k
e) Sony LCD 46V550A vs Samsung 46B550A vs LG Scarlet 2.0 47" ? 80-90k

Please feel free to add any other decent option based on the requirements. Also share your experience, if any, for the above mentioned options.
Hi Superbhikari

For a 15 feet viewing distance, a 50 inch plasma/LCD is ideal. You can check out this viewing distance / screen size calculator:

Plasma TV - Choosing or Selecting Correct Screen Size

A 50 inch plasma from LG (PQ70 model) should cost you somewhere around 66k. Lower models in the range would be cheaper. For example the LG 50PQ30 is available for 58k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ if future proof is the criteria, I would rate LCDs and plasmas the same. Both will die and be replaced by LEDs. As of today, plasmas offer value for money and the quality cannot be matched by LCDs at similar price points.
Jassi you got that one right. LEDs would replace both of these in a few years, though we are not sure how affordable LED TVs would be. Like any new technology I suppose it would take some time for the prices to come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Any LED TVs available in 32 inch?
Went to croma to get one of those but they said LEDs come only in 40inch+
Yes that's right. Samsung has 2 LED TVs in the 40 inch size now I think. Not sure if they have 46 inch also. But they are very expensive. Something like 1.5L for the lower model and 1.8L for the higher model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
are LEDs worth buying at the moment - most of them are edge-lit not pixel illuminated. Edge lit LEDs are as good as LCDs, only slimmer.
Although if the more expensive pixel illuminated leds are out than i might be wrong
Yes Jassi, I think the current set of Samsung LED TVs are edge lit. They look very slim and sleek, almost as thin as a painting. Picture quality was good when I saw the TVs at E Zone, and resolution is high like LCDs. However I am not sure if the picture quality can beat a good plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Jassi -- i saw the Samsung LED at Ezone in my area and was not very impressed. I was instead focussing on the price vs size vs features and was able to convince my dad for the Pana PV8. The dealer had Samsung and Pana only and was yet to get the LG models. My spouse though thought that i have gone bonkers to spend so much on a tv at the moment and cancelled the deal over the phone before having a look at it. Do u suggest waiting out for the LG models to come in and then decide. I have a feeling LG might just have all the features of the new Panny plasma at a lower price point.
Kpbhatt, the LG is definitely better value for money than the Panasonic, though the Panasonic may have an edge over the LG in terms of picture quality (black levels) - probably the Panny would be 10-15% better. However, the LG makes up for that with a nice set of features - USB slots with JPG/MP3/Divx capability, frameless design, bluetooth facility and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Well frankly, I am not looking for a much superior image compared to LCD. I intend to put this in a part of our living room hence the thin sleek look will add to the decor.
Sahil, if the cost of the LED TVs is not a problem, then they are an excellent choice. Yes - the TVs are just so slim and for sure would add to the decor in your living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I thought pure LED TVs are still not in the market, the new Samsung LED TV just uses LEDs for backlighting. Correct me if am wrong.
Rocky, you're right. The biggest OLED TV is made by Sony and it is only 11 inches in size. These are only LED backlit LCDs like you mentioned. Not pure LED TVs. Pure LED TVs would be far more expensive too.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 29th July 2009, 18:22   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Went to ezone in Perungudi. Prices:

Samsung PS42B430 - 46k (Airtel dish free on Samsungs)
Samsung PS42B450 - is 7k more in the MRP on samsung.co.in. He didnt have the price for it.
LG 42PQ30 - 44k
Panasonic 42in X10 - 56k
Panasonic PV8D - 45k
Guys, I brought home the Samsung PS42B430. Compared it side by side with the LGPQ30/70 and the Panasonic PV8.

The higher contrast ratio in the LG and Samsung were evident and I took Samsung because of slightly better service that it is supposed to offer when compared to LG. The LG PQ70's exterior looks better though.

Am very happy with the Plasma. Airtel dish TV looks great and DVD/DIVX look obviously better.

Bought the Philips 3996 DVD player with HDMI upscaling on Venkats advice and it is a GREAT choice. I got it for 3.2k. Superb VFM.

Paid 44k for the plasma and gave my old Sansui 29" for 2.7k.

Overall, I am very satisfied.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:32   #2826
BHPian

New SAMSUNG PS42B430P2 with 2,00,000 contract ratio

Guys , I just had a look at new SAMSUNG Plasama PS42B430P2. Can you please let me know how does it flares with PV 8 since both of them are similar priced around 42 K in delhi . But SAMSUNG has 2,00,000 contrast ratio.

help

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 29th July 2009 at 20:33. Reason: Please read as contrast instead of contract
Old 29th July 2009, 20:38   #2827
BHPian

^^ 2 million is the dynamic contrast ratio - didn't know plasma makers were pushing those numbers :-) I guess samsung took a leaf from their lcd marketing :-).

Please do compare the static contrast ratio of samsung vs panny plasma
Old 1st August 2009, 22:19   #2828
BHPian

Am looking at choosing a 42 incher between an LG PQ70 ,Samsung B450 and Panasonic PV8. Could you please suggest the best one considering i will be primarily watching SD content on the Hathway STB and the rest using a Upscaling Philips DVD player.
Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 22:28   #2829
Senior - BHPian

hi werfish, would suggest the panasonic if the pricing is good and around/below 44k.

after that would suggest the lg panel cos i have been fairly impressed by it.

lg plasma guys, how good are the plasma till date, any ghosting? did any of you connect it to a computer/laptop?

vsg127777 sir, one of your friends picked up a 50pq30, how is it holding up?

any minus points? am keen on the 50" of the lg plasma mainly cos of their amazing price and quality almost on par with panasonic.

jassi and other panny guys, what do you think of the lg plasma?
Old 1st August 2009, 23:10   #2830
Senior - BHPian

For the price you pay for the 50" LG with a so so panel, you'd get a Full HD panasonic G10 which is almost as good as the Pioneers.

Its almost mindless to prefer size over quality.
Old 1st August 2009, 23:12   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Am looking at choosing a 42 incher between an LG PQ70 ,Samsung B450 and Panasonic PV8. Could you please suggest the best one considering i will be primarily watching SD content on the Hathway STB and the rest using a Upscaling Philips DVD player.
Thanks
I have a Samsung 42in 430 (technically identical to the 450) and would definitely recommend it.

Dont consider the Panasonic PV8 unless youre the kind of guy who thinks old tech is OK. Yes, it is reliable but I think you'll end up regretting the decision after a couple of years. The PV8 has a 1 million:1 contrast ratio whearas the Samsung 430/450 and the LG PQ50/70 have a 2 million:1 contrast ratio. And that does make a difference.

Between the Samsung and the LG, I chose the former because I thought the pic quality was slightly better than the latter and because I think the Samsung brand is slightly better than the LG brand.

Look at all 3 and make your final decision.

PS: If the Samsung 430 is mich cheaper than the 450, choose the former. Remember, it is technically the same TV.

Last edited by Proxima : 1st August 2009 at 23:14.
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:37   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For the price you pay for the 50" LG with a so so panel, you'd get a Full HD panasonic G10 which is almost as good as the Pioneers.

Its almost mindless to prefer size over quality.

yes very true sir, but unless until i pick up a av reciever with an upscaler such as the onkyo TX-SR706, whats the point in having a full hd screen? esp when blueray dvds are so expensive and the only way to experience true full hd would be to download up from the net, which again is a cumbersome process.

my most of the tv usage would be tata sky only. so the only way would be to get an hd upscaler to utilise the full potential of the tv!

i too am a panny (& sony) fan (have a 42pv7), but after checking out the lg panel was fully confused! its honestly good.

plus add to the fact that i already have a 42" panny and a 40" sony.

wanted to check out the g10, but it is still yet to arrive in hyd, esp since its a neopdp panel, wanna check it out before i finalise.

the other point confusing me is, am getting the lg 50pq70 for almost 5k cheaper than the panny 42g10.

have you checked out the lg panels sir?
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:57   #2833
BHPian

aadix - the panny plasmas (pv80 in my case) do a good job at upscaling SD content and this is from a personal comparo with an inhouse sony bravia! Both running hathway.
Thought full hd is not really needed (i enjoy my blurays on 720p) unless you are sitting very close to the tv, getting a neopdp is quite future proof, atleast till the true LED brigade starts playing with our brains :-P
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:35   #2834

You get samsung led's in 40,46 and 55 inches...its a work of art.
also check out the worlds slimmest lcd by sony..comes in 40 inches.

Vu lcd's are VFM products, serviced by the vast network of zenith computers. its an californian brand and has done decently well in india.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:30   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I have a Samsung 42in 430 (technically identical to the 450) and would definitely recommend it.
Is the 430 good at SD content also compared to the PV8?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks