Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 00:37   #2686
Team-BHP Support

vacsh honestly when i saw vu i was impressed. its at a good price too so why not?
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:48   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey vcash, why not a 26" lcd monitor with a tv tuner card in the cpu, and you can run the video out from the tata sky to the tv tuner.

that way you can directly stream movies, record stuff, plus have the pip feature.

vu is overall a good company. try for panasonic 32 inchers, you should be able to get a 32le8 for about 25-26k.
Hey aadix - I don't have a cpu tower - just a laptop and that too does not have an integerated TV tuner card. Not sure about converting a monitor to a TV - I have had issues with native resolutions on larger monitors in the past when trying to pump out streaming Television via sling and the like.

25K foor Pana 26" is over my budget - Need to stay within 20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
vacsh honestly when i saw vu i was impressed. its at a good price too so why not?
Will look at VU closely once again - Dop they may a 26" for sub 20K?
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:44   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Just a heads up, 32 inch LG Jazz Full HD is available for 35.3k (cash) at Girias. One of friend picked up one last Sunday. Seems to be a very good price. I think even Devi Intl will also give for similar price.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:58   #2689
Senior - BHPian

imo, the samsung 32a/b450 for the 30-32k pricing is a much better option when compared to the lg jazz.

and hey vcash, i meant the 32" for that price not a 26"
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:18   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
imo, the samsung 32a/b450 for the 30-32k pricing is a much better option when compared to the lg jazz.
Hey man, is Samsung full-HD too? Me thinking of gifting one to folks and Samsung is my favorite LCD maker!
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:18   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Aadix, can you please explain in what terms Samsung was better? Please don't take the question as rhetoric, I just want to know. Personally didn't liked the Sammy panels as I found them too much saturated in color (specially the reds). Actually out of all 32 inches we've seen that day, Philips was the one I liked most. But again philips lost out due to features(according to my friend's requirements) and price. Couldn't audition any Panasonic panels due to time constraints which I think would've been also at par or may be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Hey man, is Samsung full-HD too? Me thinking of gifting one to folks and Samsung is my favorite LCD maker!
I think 4-series is HD-ready, not full HD, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 23rd June 2009 at 15:20.
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:25   #2692
BHPian

Guys, do you think it makes sense to get a LCD from Singapore? Are there major savings in customs/duties? (I intend bringing in a model worth around 25-30k, so as to evade customs entirely). Also, is the risk in transport worth it?
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:30   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Aadix, can you please explain in what terms Samsung was better? Please don't take the question as rhetoric, I just want to know. Personally didn't liked the Sammy panels as I found them too much saturated in color (specially the reds). Actually out of all 32 inches we've seen that day, Philips was the one I liked most. But again philips lost out due to features(according to my friend's requirements) and price. Couldn't audition any Panasonic panels due to time constraints which I think would've been also at par or may be better.

hey no issues bud, mine was on personal observation and the overall feeling, when i played my own dvd on the screens, i found the samsung 32a450 better when compared to the others.

i found the lg ones too oversaturated and not too comfortable for long term viewing.

but when i played thier demo dvd, i found the lg one better. its able to reproduce the colours on the demo dvd much better which was routed via a hd upscaler (most of the demo dvds run this way)

also i found the samsung vfm price wise, picked up two in the last month for 30,900 each. which i felt was a good deal.

similarly, i found the 42" panny plasma the best and the most vfm in the 42" range.

the 26" sony t-series in the 26" range.

and the lg lh 50 in the 46-47" range.

all these are under my observation and usage with a regular dvd and tata sky signal feed.

since most of our sources are the above, i go generally go by them and check out the colour saturation along with the clarity and the feel over a usage of about 30 mins. since the dealer i pick up from is a very known person and with the kind of business i give them, they have no issues with me hanging out for a long period and doing my own observations.

whats your budget btw?

btw jassi and other panny fans, has anyone checked out the new 42x10d?

Quote:
hey hi, the samsung 4 series isnt full hd. onlt the series 5 & 6 are, and generally unless untill you are very keen on full-hd, a hd ready screen with proper colour repoduction should do a good job. as the full-hd on a 32" isnt of much use, unless until you plan on using it as a computer screen also.

Last edited by aadix : 23rd June 2009 at 15:34.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:42   #2694
Senior - BHPian

31k is a very good price for the set, congrats. Yeah, we checked with their demo DVD only and LG looked better.
I was supposed to check out the new Panasonic model but after hearing the price(63k, no discounts on Pana showroom) I gave it a pass and bought the PV80D. And oh boy, it's an experience, I'm loving it. In fact spending all my leisure time in front of the TV only, even my favourite passion for photography is taking the back-seat these days.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:19   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
31k is a very good price for the set, congrats. Yeah, we checked with their demo DVD only and LG looked better.
I was supposed to check out the new Panasonic model but after hearing the price(63k, no discounts on Pana showroom) I gave it a pass and bought the PV80D. And oh boy, it's an experience, I'm loving it. In fact spending all my leisure time in front of the TV only, even my favourite passion for photography is taking the back-seat these days.

the best choice i would say!

how much did it cost you?
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:48   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the best choice i would say!

how much did it cost you?
48.5k for the PV80D.

BTW, guys, I've bought a Belkin surge protector yesterday. It's the Superior series, paid Rs.1850/- for that. I hope it'll help in protecting the TV and other components. Any reviews on it? I hope I took a right decision about the surge protector. Is there anything else I need to take care of?
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:56   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
48.5k for the PV80D.

BTW, guys, I've bought a Belkin surge protector yesterday. It's the Superior series, paid Rs.1850/- for that. I hope it'll help in protecting the TV and other components. Any reviews on it? I hope I took a right decision about the surge protector. Is there anything else I need to take care of?

good price bro, was just wondering, why not a stabilizer at that price? wouldnt that be better at protecting the tv?
Old 24th June 2009, 00:56   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good price bro, was just wondering, why not a stabilizer at that price? wouldnt that be better at protecting the tv?
Stabilisers won't stop the spikes/surges AFAIK and also the case that the current gen TV's have built-in stabilizer for voltage fluctuations. But to safeguard from the voltage surges you need a surge protector like this But don't take my word for it as my knowledge is also limited.
Old 24th June 2009, 08:57   #2699
Team-BHP Support

Guy I posted this in the home appliance thread and I think it is relevant here as well. My LCD TV had 2 fried components even with a vguard stabilizer. That was because the stabilizers do not have surge/spike protection. The new ones however do have this feature:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
vguard has a digital stabilizer meant for the new high end appliances like LCD/Plasma. The new ones have surge suppressor/spike protection along with the regular voltage regulation. They cost substantially more than the normal stabilizers. They are available in 300VA, 400VA, 600VA and 1.2KVA. More details here:

Products

The 400VA costs Rs.2,600 and the 600VA costs Rs.3,090.

I'm thinking of getting either the V-guard 600VA digital stabilizer or the APC Line-R 600VA.

Line-R 600VA Automatic Voltage Regulator

The APC one is Rs.2,950.
Old 24th June 2009, 14:48   #2700
Senior - BHPian

OT but related to the above posts:-
I have heard that Non sine-wave UPS/Inverter is also bad for electronic equipments. Does the normal stabilizer do or we need any specific device to protect the TV and HT running on inverter?
Btw, I am using an APC 600VA inverter.

- Jag

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th June 2009 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks