Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 13:31   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i would say wait for the new model prices to drop - i bought my pv80 for 72k and within a few months prices dropped to 65 and then 55 and now 48k So wait for a few months and get the neo pdp panny plasma. have patience, although if it were me, I would have just bought it at 63k hehe
neopdp is a good option. However, as in the past, it will come (when??) at a high price, people will buy, and when prices come down (inevitably) some months later, a new generation would be around the corner. The process repeats again. So if a person has to buy now, it is better to buy PV8/80 rather than wait for the pie in the sky.

I do not think you made an unwise decision. You bought at the market price then, because you wanted it. I bought a Pioneer 42 at 1 lakh, and now that is discontinued (as is the company). But the TV is great, will last long (even if the company does not) and I do not regret ever paying that amount.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:39   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi Jassi and others,
I already took the plunge and bought the PV80D itself for 48.5k. Actually have already waited long enough to get impatient he he.
COngrats its a really good choice

Quote:
Just wondering how good it'll be with an HDMI input.
If you are using a true HD source like blu-ray/PS3, you will really see the difference. It is quite good for DVDs too.

Quote:
I'm using a Hathway STB now. Some channels are coming out nicely but not all. BTW, any suggestion if I can route the STB signal via component out? Or it's not possible. Currently I'm directly connecting the co-axial video out from STB to TV.
Why are you connecting using co-ax, I use hathway and connect using composite Composite video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and i must say the quality is just too good and way way better than using co-ax - no LCD can match up to it for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Buddy this is life cycle of Consumer electronics may be beyond 48K they will just phase out the old model and there will be still a newer model at 72K for which you need to wait to come down to 48K.
New features , more convergence , reducing the panel thickness and support of newer specifications ( example Ultra HD under development).

How else so many hardware / software engineers employed by CE giants will get their salary.
I completely agree - which is why in most cases I research on appropriate technology and buy it. Almost never do I wait for prices to drop as I think the 10-15k more that I pay gives that additional 5-6 months of enjoyment vs waiting for prices to drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
neopdp is a good option. However, as in the past, it will come (when??) at a high price, people will buy, and when prices come down (inevitably) some months later, a new generation would be around the corner. The process repeats again. So if a person has to buy now, it is better to buy PV8/80 rather than wait for the pie in the sky.

I do not think you made an unwise decision. You bought at the market price then, because you wanted it. I bought a Pioneer 42 at 1 lakh, and now that is discontinued (as is the company). But the TV is great, will last long (even if the company does not) and I do not regret ever paying that amount.
Thanks!! I think both of us made some excellent choices for the display
Old 12th June 2009, 18:47   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
COngrats its a really good choice
Thanks mate, it's you guys inputs which helped me in getting this set.

Quote:
If you are using a true HD source like blu-ray/PS3, you will really see the difference. It is quite good for DVDs too.
No True HD sources as of now. Will be using DVD's only. Will be probably upscaling to 720p once I get a capable DVD player, but that's about it.

Quote:
Why are you connecting using co-ax, I use hathway and connect using composite Composite video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and i must say the quality is just too good and way way better than using co-ax - no LCD can match up to it for sure
I think composite and co-axial are the same things, right? Probably you are confused with the RF connector? I'm using the composite(co-ax) out only from the STB. It's just ok not very good. Probably the cable itself is not a good cable.
Old 12th June 2009, 19:05   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks mate, it's you guys inputs which helped me in getting this set.

No True HD sources as of now. Will be using DVD's only. Will be probably upscaling to 720p once I get a capable DVD player, but that's about it.

I think composite and co-axial are the same things, right? Probably you are confused with the RF connector? I'm using the composite(co-ax) out only from the STB. It's just ok not very good. Probably the cable itself is not a good cable.
oh ok I thought the co-ax RF connector (like the ones from antenna) - hathway does provide both of them out of the set top box and I have both connected to my panny and I can clearly make out the difference between the two. Also I can clearly compare and say that my panny is better than my old samsung crt (sold) and sony bravia 3lcd (which incidentally is still in the house and running hathway composite)

Also you don't need an upscaling dvd player i think as the panny does a fairly decent job at upscaling SD (which is why hathway or dvd looks good) compared to most low to mid end LCDs.
Old 12th June 2009, 21:29   #2675
Senior - BHPian

jassi and the others:

would you suggest a pansonic 50pv80d or a full hd samsung series 6 46" (type A)

absynth: did the daywell electronics people also give you a quote of the PY850?
Old 12th June 2009, 21:50   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
jassi and the others:

So you mean
this VIERA TH-50PV80D | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India vs
this 117cm (46) high definition LCD TV LA46A610 - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

what they lack in picture quality they normally make up for in features - so if you want things like more a/v ports, pip, wake up timers - then a samsung is good, however as far as PQ is concerned especially for dvds and regular cable (SD), i am not sure it can match up to the panny.

Also the samsung's 1080p won't really make that much of a difference, even with full HD sources unless you are very close to the tv.

I reviewed some samsung/LG LCDs and plasmas when i was buying, however they did not compare well to panny/pio. I would leave someone who is well versed in the samsung 6 series LCDs to give further detailed advice though
As far as plasmas vs LCDs go - we all know from various cnet reviews etc that most LCDs don't stand chance to a good plasma

Last edited by jassi : 12th June 2009 at 21:51.
Old 15th June 2009, 15:55   #2677

Why not consider LG's new LH50 46" full HD LCD?

Guys, if we are ready to spend around 90K for a 50" HD Ready (1366 x 768) plasma, why not consider LG's new 46" full HD (1080p) LCD with 200Hz refresh rate? This model LH50 and comes with 4 HDMI, USB 2.0, SD card support and almost all software features one can ask for! The MRP is 90K with a 5.1 ch home theater system, DTH connection and 20 DVDs thrown in!!
Old 15th June 2009, 18:41   #2678
Senior - BHPian

If true color reproduction , response time and image fidelity in general is concerned CRT is still the best choice , Yes it consumes more real estate but then true audiophiles choose Big footprint sub woofers too.

The reason one normally goes for a flat panel TV is features , You may call it a conspiracy of sort but manufacturers are no longer investing in High Defination CRT TVs so this feature of display resolution ,HDMI connectivity and ability to play content from your PC in forces you for a flat panel TV.

So in nutshell if buying a Blue Ray with 1080P in couple of years is a possibility or even you have a PS3 then a Samsung/Sony/LG makes sense over Plasma display with 720P and lack of connectivity options. One may argue that UltraHD is already on the way but then BlueRay is already in market and will be a mass market replacing DVD in India in couple of years and they have selected TrueHD as of now.

If it is not an absolute need wait till murk on the TrueHD business is resolved and prices stabilize

EDIT: One important aspect is DLNA connectivity , DLNA is basically media streaming protocol on WiFi and using this you can stream media from your PC to TV using Wifi.

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th June 2009 at 18:52.
Old 15th June 2009, 18:49   #2679
Senior - BHPian

That is old one the 2009 is

117cmÂ*(46)Â*LCDÂ*TV LA46B650T1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG
Old 16th June 2009, 11:14   #2680
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
What say guys??

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-crv43_frontright.jpg
43″ curved display monitor from NEC made especially for gamers. It has 2880 x 900 pixel resolution, 10,000:1 contrast ratio and 0.02 response time. NEC claims that the screen covers 100m percent of the sRGB color gamut and it connects up to DVI-D and HDMI. It also includes a USB 2 hub.
Price: $8000
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-crv43_fronttop.jpg
Old 16th June 2009, 12:09   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee86 View Post
Attachment 148464
43″ curved display monitor from NEC made especially for gamers. It has 2880 x 900 pixel resolution, 10,000:1 contrast ratio and 0.02 response time. NEC claims that the screen covers 100m percent of the sRGB color gamut and it connects up to DVI-D and HDMI. It also includes a USB 2 hub.
Price: $8000
Attachment 148465
can't find any major reviews on cnet, etc of this nec crv 43. And from what i read, NEC designed it for professional graphics kind of apps vs gaming I am sure though that gamers will find the vitamin M to get this

heres a brochure
http://www.necdisplay.com/NewTechnol...chure_0409.pdf
Old 16th June 2009, 15:48   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
jassi and the others:

IIRC the PY850 was quoted at 1.60lac ( non negotiated).
Old 16th June 2009, 17:15   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can't find any major reviews on cnet, etc of this nec crv 43. And from what i read, NEC designed it for professional graphics kind of apps vs gaming I am sure though that gamers will find the vitamin M to get this

heres a brochure
http://www.necdisplay.com/NewTechnol...chure_0409.pdf
This device seems to be targeting towards replacing the 3 desktop monitors which are configured now to create a virtual 3D space. Looks like an early proof of concept device.
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:48   #2684
BHPian

Hey Guys - I am having a serious complex posting this question with talks of 46 inchers and 50 inchers, but here goes anyway .

I am moving into a smallish flat in Bombay and wanted to pick up a LCD TV for my bedroom. The room is about 150 Square feet and the viewing distance will be no more than 6 to 8 feet. I went to Croma and have come across 3 options:

1) 22" LG TV / Monitor - This supports TV input via coax as well as componenet - It is full HD i.e. 1920 X 1080 and also supports VGA and HDMI / S-Video etc. Cool feature is you can use PIP to watch TV and work on the computer and quickly keep swapping sources too. Price is Rs. 16,000.

2) 26" Samsung (Don't know the model name) but it's pretty standard in terms of specs - Rs. 25,000

3) 32" VU (Don't know the model name) but it's pretty standard in terms of specs - Rs. 23,000

Now my input sources are going to be DTH (Probably Tata Sky); Laptop with only VGA and S-Video Output; but this will be used as a DVD player as well as a media server.

The LG TV / Monitor combo looks really nice and suits my needs perfectley but it is a tiny bit small for a bedroom TV. I think I would miss the screen real estate. 26" is nice but too expensive for my purposes and I am not sure about the 32" VU brand.

So now, based on my specs and needs what would you recommend? I would like my budget to be around 20K.

Thanks!
vcash

P.S. Oh and where should I buy the TV from in or around Andheri West - Croma / Vijay Sales / Etc.? Who gives the best price / installation and service?
Old 23rd June 2009, 00:04   #2685
Senior - BHPian

hey vcash, why not a 26" lcd monitor with a tv tuner card in the cpu, and you can run the video out from the tata sky to the tv tuner.

that way you can directly stream movies, record stuff, plus have the pip feature.

vu is overall a good company. try for panasonic 32 inchers, you should be able to get a 32le8 for about 25-26k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks