Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 15:32   #1921
BHPian

If you guys want to check how awesome a plasma is over an LCD, get the blade runner blu ray set. The black levels and color details on a plasma cannot be matched by any LCD, and this movie will get you to see just that!!
Ofcourse some of those natgeo/discovery bluray disc sets are also worth experimenting with
Old 13th November 2008, 15:39   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Jassi, you have a PV80 as I understand, I am almost making up my mind for a Plasma after many days of swinging between LCD and Plasma. Other than Pana do you recommend any other brand ? I thought of picking up a 40/42 Plasma from Bigbazar which is just 1 km from my house. Electronics manager is giving me an exchange value of 5k for my existing 29" Philips flat screen. As I will finalise a brand and negotiate, he will recalculate the total again in my favour as promised. I think they have only samsung, LG, Sensui or some brands like that.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:58   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jassi, you have a PV80 as I understand, I am almost making up my mind for a Plasma after many days of swinging between LCD and Plasma. Other than Pana do you recommend any other brand ? I thought of picking up a 40/42 Plasma from Bigbazar which is just 1 km from my house. Electronics manager is giving me an exchange value of 5k for my existing 29" Philips flat screen. As I will finalise a brand and negotiate, he will recalculate the total again in my favour as promised. I think they have only samsung, LG, Sensui or some brands like that.

Shajufx

I researched this for over three months before I took the plunge and bought the PV80. Please bear in mind that every single review/reviewer has put the PV80 leagues ahead of every other brand other than a Kuro. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that that is the way you should go if you have decided on Plasma!

Like you clearly mentioned - most of your viewing is going to be SD (Standard Definition - DTH/DVD etc) . An LCD just cant beat a plasma when it comes to SD, colours, black levels, and moving images!

Lastly please do not look beyond Devi. There is NO WAY Big Bazaar can ever match the prices Devi gives. They will also be able to give you a fair value for your CRT - but you might have to take it to them first for evaluation.

All the best!
Old 13th November 2008, 16:56   #1924
Senior - BHPian

kb100, thanks again, after reading your earlier comment I changed my mind from LCD to Plasma, now reading this I am saying good bye to bigbazar too! Although I was not a die-hard fan of pana, I had noted the number of niranjan and the other landline numbers in my exploration process of the 45 odd pages which you suggested. Now I believe 56k is the lowest taken by our pana gang members ! So that will be 50k or 51k with my 29" philips flat screen given back. Any other tips before calling them up ?

Last edited by shajufx : 13th November 2008 at 16:57.
Old 13th November 2008, 17:16   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you buy, whether LCD or Plasma, the tip I can provide is to do all your research elsewhere and quote your lowest price at Devi. He will match it in a jiffy.

Devi did not have many models for me to do a sufficient research there. So, I did all my research at ezone, Digital Shoppe near my home, etc. I knew for sure Devi would match everybody's best price. It has always been the case for me.
Old 13th November 2008, 17:31   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Plasmas are way better than LCDs so yes samsung 4 & 5 series will not look as good. I am starting to suspect, this lg plasma has a 480p panel, but takes in 1080p signals and adjusts them. In which case it will be a good deal.
Can you confirm, if it is a 480p panel or a 480p tv.
Its a 480p panel. I think the model is 32PC5RV. Here is a link on discussion about this in AVS forum(LG 32PC5RV first 32-inch plasma - AVS Forum). It did play 1080p signal "better than" Samsung 5 series. I am impressed.

Few cons of this model are, it doesn't have S-video in/out (if you are bothered about it). Only one HDMI port. Only one set of component in. Panel is lackluster in appearence and looks ancient.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:29   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
kb100, thanks again, after reading your earlier comment I changed my mind from LCD to Plasma, now reading this I am saying good bye to bigbazar too! Although I was not a die-hard fan of pana, I had noted the number of niranjan and the other landline numbers in my exploration process of the 45 odd pages which you suggested. Now I believe 56k is the lowest taken by our pana gang members ! So that will be 50k or 51k with my 29" philips flat screen given back. Any other tips before calling them up ?
shajufx - Just another thing you might want to consider ..

If you are price sensitive( 5-6k), and if a few cosmetic features would not matter, then pls consider the PV8 as well. You might get this for about 45k (50k less 5k for your old TV)

Its identical in all respects except for the lack of one additional HDMI input, SD Card reading facility built in, and an auto contrast sensor which adjusts the image brightness based on ambient light (which works ONLY in the 'eco' mode).

(Honestly, I am an 'upgrade freak' which is why I went for the PV80. I dont have a single thing that uses SD cards - all my cameras use CF.)
Old 13th November 2008, 18:39   #1928
Senior - BHPian

I am not constrained to price, my budget is between 50 to 80. I dont like to pull out the SD card from either my camcorder or digicam each time I want to view it on the TV. It has better cables for the TV. So SD card feature is useless for me. Now the auto adjusting contrast could be a great feature as I already have eye issues being on the PC for over 10 hours a day. HDMI gadgets, as of now, I dont have any. My home threatre is a Sony 5.1 DTS 3CD, 2 Cassette deck tower type, with 2 medium type boxes with sub built-in and 3 cube boxes (2002 model which doesnt have even MP3 format read). If I decide on the 45 to 55k range Plasma, I am also thinking of upgrading my home theatre from Pana itself. If anyone could suggest matching stuff, it would be very helpful.

Meanwhile I spoke to Niranjan of Devi, he said I can just sms the address and they can deliver it next day with the cheque or cash paid to the delivery person. PV80 is quoted 56k and PV8 is 50k. Exchange will be adjusted in the 5000 to 5500 range.

Last edited by shajufx : 13th November 2008 at 18:41.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:54   #1929
BHPian

Quote:

Meanwhile I spoke to Niranjan of Devi, he said I can just sms the address and they can deliver it next day with the cheque or cash paid to the delivery person. PV80 is quoted 56k and PV8 is 50k. Exchange will be adjusted in the 5000 to 5500 range.
Panasonic does not do great sound as far as my experience goes. I have Panasonic SC-PT950 (bought in US for USD400) and it is just ok types. PV80 will bring down your spending at least by 25K and use the saved money on a better Home theater system. May be you have to visit the Home Theater thread for the same.

Before working with Devi, I would suggest you to g around and take some demo. Take one DVD which has very good black level. Compare LCD vs Plasma with your eyes. I have a colleague who did comparison and ended up buying Samsung LCD. So believe your eyes than any other reviews. We have told to many facts about both, so keep them in mind while you compare

And with Devi, expect some delay in delivery and lot of follow up from you.
Old 13th November 2008, 19:25   #1930
BHPian

LG/Panasonic Plasma at Chennai

Hi guys,

just now finished reading till the last page of this thread !! Whew. That was a lot. I am about to log off, shut down and go home from office. Just thought I'd post a message before going.

I am considering a 42 inch plasma for my new house which would be ready by end of Dec 08. Viewing distance would be around 12 feet. Was thinking of a 50-inch unit, but they are too expensive for just 8 extra inches. So dropped the idea and decided to go for 42 inch, and only Plasma.

Panasonic:

The 42PV80 seems to be the hot favourite here with so many of you having already bought it recently. Well, I called up the Panasonic brand shop in T. Nagar, Chennai today evening for the prices and here they are:

42PV80: MRP 75k, best price 63k
50PV80: MRP 120k, best price 110k

Same day delivery, next day installation.

I don't think the 56k price from Devi in B'lore is gonna be available here in Chennai. However I would be buying only late in Dec 08 / early Jan 09, so some good X'mas/New Year offers might be there at that time.

LG:

The LG 42 inch 42PG61 model (frameless plasma, invisible 2-way 4-speaker system by Mark Levinson) is pretty good too and cheaper than the Panasonic. Called up the LG Shoppe here in T. Nagar yesterday and got this offer:

42PG61 plasma, HDMI DVD player, HDMI cable, 50 DVDs (English / Hindi mixed) - all for 55k - as part of a special offer going on. This is only while stocks last. Later the plasma alone would be 55k. This TV also has a USB port which can directly play DivX, JPG, MP3 etc. The design of this plasma is very appealing and sexy compared to the more traditional looking Panasonic 42PV80.

I've not had a demo on these and intend to do it this weekend if possible. Shall post back once I have the demo.

What are your opinions on the LG 42PG61R ? Has any one of you had a demo on this model ? I know there are no / few reviews on the net for this model but I really would like to know just how good this model is. I am sure the Panasonic PV80 is great since we used a Panasonic 29 inch TV from Singapore for 10 years (1991 to 2001). It hardly gave us any trouble and picture quality used to be very good.

Those with details on plasma offers in Chennai, please post them in this thread.

Look forward to your opinions soon.

I plan to get a Pioneer DV-610 HDMI upscaling DVD player to go with the new plasma.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat

P.S. - Panasonic PV80 owners, please scan and post your bills here so that we can print them and negotiate for better prices in Chennai. Panasonic brand shop doesn't wanna go below 63k for 42PV80.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:02   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
P.S. - Panasonic PV80 owners, please scan and post your bills here so that we can print them and negotiate for better prices in Chennai. Panasonic brand shop doesn't wanna go below 63k for 42PV80.
Brand shop CANNOT give you those rates - all the retailers will be up in arms.

Get your demo from there and negotiate with retailers. Devi of Bangalore will also have Panasonic people themselves deliver it your address in Chennai. (I am told the panels ship from there in any case)
Old 13th November 2008, 23:36   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
42PG61 plasma, HDMI DVD player, HDMI cable, 50 DVDs (English / Hindi mixed) - all for 55k - as part of a special offer going on. This is only while stocks last. Later the plasma alone would be 55k. This TV also has a USB port which can directly play DivX, JPG, MP3 etc. The design of this plasma is very appealing and sexy compared to the more traditional looking Panasonic 42PV80.

I've not had a demo on these and intend to do it this weekend if possible. Shall post back once I have the demo.
Looking forward to reading about the demos. Please carry a couple of DVDs with you so you can do a direct comparison of the PV80 & PG61.
Also, if you could name some of those DVDs that LG is giving free with the plasma, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by razor4077 : 13th November 2008 at 23:37.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:58   #1933
BHPian

Guys,
Thanks to all the contributors. I have lived without a TV for the last 4 years and last Sunday my wife an I decided to buy one. I was searching on the net for information and came across this thread. Believe me I did not look at any other showroom, just called Devi and spoke to Niranjan. He asked me if I was one of the group and agreed to give me the same price when I said yes. My PV8 was delivered on Wednesday, the panasonic guy must come today to install it.
I went to SP road yesterday to pick up some cables as I want to wire all the inputs beforehand (reaching the inputs will be difficult once wall mounted). I got a 4mtr HDMI cable at Rs 600, seems pretty good to me with gold plated connectors. Apart form this I bought RCA component cable 3mtr at Rs 140 and RCA stereo cable 5mtr at Rs 110. As I was hunting for cable I came across some Belden speaker cable a 14AWG cable cost me Rs 120 a metre.
I will post my updates once I connect the Sony HDMI DVD player I bought and get to watch some movies.
Old 14th November 2008, 11:23   #1934
BHPian

Here is a link to an old article that I had read about Pioneer's plans:
EETimes.com - Pioneer to exit plasma panel manufacturing
Old 14th November 2008, 12:22   #1935
Senior - BHPian

ssingry that was a ton of information for me as I am still swinging between PV80 and PV8, having already finished my phone communication with Niranjan. I also plan to upgrade my 6 year old Sony Home theatre system (4000 watts PMPO, 5.1 DTS) either to Sony itself or something better in the 15 to 25k range. Do we get any advantages if Plasma and Home theatre are both from Pana itself (both discountwise and single-remote-like stuff) ? Dont you get any single cable with the Plasma as part of the box ? What about the table stand or the wall mounting kit ? Both comes free or you have to pay ?

Most Viewed