Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 12:42   #2056
BHPian

Plasmas dirt cheap in USA/UK - Shocked at Indian prices !!

Hi kb100

Yeah even I read that on the net. People worldwide do buy the 1080p panels but maybe they're not aware that beyond 10 feet, the human eye can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I am shocked after seeing the Panasonic 42PX80 (equivalent of the Asian 42PV80 model sold here and in Singapore etc) plasma on sale at Amazon.com for only USD 728.13 with free shipping !! This equates to around INR 36,406.50 (at the rate USD 1 = INR 50) - what a steal for that price. We people are paying 60k for the same damn thing in India !!

Check this link:

Amazon.com: 40" - 49" - Plasma / 720p / Panasonic / TVs / Televisions: Audio & Video

Why so much difference in price ? Is it due to import duties & VAT of 12.5% ?

What's even more shocking is that even the 50 inch Panasonic 50PX80 (equivalent of 50PV80 here) costs only USD 975.00 at Amazon.com with free shipping. This equates to around INR 48,750/- which makes it even cheaper than the price we Indians are paying for the 42 inch 42PV80 here !!

Take a look at this Amazon link:

Amazon.com: Panasonic - Plasma / 50" & Above / 720p / TVs / Televisions: Audio & Video

Looking at these prices for almost the same plasmas outside India, I am curious to find out how much these units would cost in the grey market. Even if we could save 10-15k on these units, it would be a great deal, especially on the 50 inch plasmas. I would like to do some exploration on this. Will post back with the results.

Approximately how much duty would someone have to pay if he/she brings a 50 inch plasma into India from say, the US/UK or Australia ?

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited by VSG12777 : 20th November 2008 at 12:42. Reason: Added a link
Old 20th November 2008, 13:08   #2057
BHPian

Hi, actually LG has become the largest Plasma manufacturer in Q3 0f 2008,

http://www.displayblog.com/2008/04/30/lg-electronics-top-plasma-manufacturer/
Old 20th November 2008, 13:25   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
Hi, actually LG has become the largest Plasma manufacturer in Q3 0f 2008,

http://www.displayblog.com/2008/04/30/lg-electronics-top-plasma-manufacturer/
As per that link its ONLY Q1 - and largely because of the 32" panels. There was someone here who saw one of those 32"ers and was impressed by it.

Quote:
According to DisplaySearch, a display market research firm, LG Electronics (LGE) took the top spot in Q1′08 as the largest plasma display panel (PDP) manufacturer. The main reason for LGE’s ascension is the explosive growth of 32″ PDPs. 32″ PDP shipment share rose from 11% in Q4′07 to 15% in Q1′08. LGE’s 32″ PDP shipments grew 97% Y/Y in Q1′08.
If you look at their archives there is hardly anything there - So it doesn't look like they have a strong research and content team. A look at the 'Categories' section reinforces this further!

The other link was corroborated by Endgadget as well - surely a much more reliable site!

Last edited by kb100 : 20th November 2008 at 13:30.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:28   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the price difference in India is pitiable. My cousine had gone to Singapore last month for a dealers' meet. While shopping he found the Samsung 42" LCD Tvs (most other brands too) almost 15k lower than the indian price. Taking it while coming back is easier than before. You may have to pay some duty around 5k. Still its a huge difference. Most products sell outside with international warranty, so there is no room to think twice.

Has anyone done wall mounting for your plasmas or LCDs ? I want to know the height you have selected, the pipes used for concealed wiring, and any other information that is related to this. I plan to chip the wall in a 'cross' (+) shape, mount the plasma in the centre, L and R speakers of the home theatre on both sides, centre speaker on top.

Now 3 people are involved in this mini project. 1) Panasonic installer guy to drill and fix the wall bracket, 2) Carpenter to make the bottom cabinet which will hold the home theatre, tatasky box, VCR, DVDs etc., 3) Painter to plaster the chipped area and splash some theme painting to this wall. Now my confusion is the order of things. Carpenter will start and finish his work by next wednesday. If someone could guide on the order of these 3 people to execute their respective works, it would be a great tip for me. If chipping is a DIY project, I am happy to add me as the 4th person in this project. End of next week, I should have a clean, good looking, theme wall with plasma and HT satelite speakers on it. Something similar to the picture here;
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-ps.jpg  

Last edited by shajufx : 20th November 2008 at 14:35.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:21   #2060
BHPian

Wow Shajufx - the setup in the picture sure looks great. But did you notice that there are no wires anywhere ? The equipment has just been fixed / wall mounted for the photos !!

Anyway I somehow feel it's not a good thing to wall mount a plasma / LCD, especially since it involves chipping the wall etc. If it's your own house and you plan to be there for a long time, then it's a different matter.

I am sure Jassi would agree with me on the above. We love trolleys/racks don't we ?!

When I get my plasma by end of next month, I plan to have a nice A/V rack made (which has a slot in the centre for the centre speaker, slot on both sides for other components like DVD player and A/V receiver, one slot below the centre speaker slot for maybe a DTH set top box, and on the 2 sides of the bottom centre slot, 2 drawers for storing cables, accessories, manuals etc.

Probably something like the picture below, is what I would like to have made by my carpenter (very high quality work this guy does) for the A/V rack:

More designs attached at the bottom of this message, including one that I found with a flat cable housing behind the plasma going downwards on the wall right behind the unit. Looks very neat.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-htmarket_2027_168965761.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-htmarket_2027_209481400.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-htmarket_2027_293153939.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-plasma-stand-cable-housing.jpg  

Old 20th November 2008, 17:09   #2061
BHPian

Beautiful! These cabinets/ racks.
I'm also trying to finalize the design of wooden cabinet for placing below my wall-mounted TV. Wall mounting is not that risky, provided it is done properly. I had especially ensured that the Panasonic installation guy used the 4 metal sockets that came along in the package. Those were driven inside the wall and then the wall mount frame was fixed using the supplied bolts. Additionally, 4 more screws were used on the frame to secure it properly. And I "feel" it is safe.
Yes, the height is 26" from floor to bottom edge of the TV frame. Originally, the guy had fixed it at 3 feet, but I felt it was too high, hence got it repositioned. And its also tilted slightly (appx 5-10 deg) downwards, which also helps in reducing reflections from the window during daytime.
In my case, base mount was not an option with kids playing around in the house.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:05   #2062
Senior - BHPian

All of them look great. I googled a lot, but couldnt find similar photos. So thanks for sharing. The picture I attached above will look the same once my work is done the way I want to do it (slight difference in the cabinet design and the wall painting). I prefer to chip and rip the wall to any extend and make the cabinet and TV both wall mounted (cabinet not touching the floor but above 4 inches from the floor tiles).

To get certain perfections we need to crush something and redesign. My wife owns the house, so there is nothing to regret later. Carpenter gave me 3 designs of his brain work, but none of them were to my taste. Anyway I have spent half a lak on the Plasma, 20k for the Home theatre (upgrading to new Sony DAV DZ570 system as my budget for plasma/lcd was 85k), and the remaining 15k will go for the cabinet and painting. So, I feel its a great and wise idea to beautify the whole Entertainment wall/area within the budget of a single LCD screen ! Interestingly I got 6k for the old 29" flat TV and expecting 7k for my present 5.1 Sony Home theatre (4000 watts PMPO) and 2k for my present TV stand (Damro imported), so that makes the whole calculation stay below 70k.

I am happy with the way things turned around, If I went for a samsung 6 series or LG Jazz model as I first decided, none of these upgrades or beautifications would have come to effect. Thanks to the Pana gang here and to all the lovely members of team-bhp !cheers:

Last edited by shajufx : 20th November 2008 at 18:08.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:10   #2063
BHPian

I am going to check out the LG 32" and 42" plasmas today at Dass in Premier plaza and Next today ( if they have any stocked )
Old 20th November 2008, 18:14   #2064
Senior - BHPian

The first image is nice from the viewpoint of aesthetics but is absolutely atrocious from the audio perspective. First of all wall mounting speakers is not recommended simply because when sound plays, the speaker will vibrate and this vibration will add to the sonics. The second problem with it is that the left/right/center are way too close to each other to actually create any kind of imaging. The sound will appear to come from the same place. The third problem is that the subwoofer is placed on some kind of board. Again when the sub produces bass, it'll vibrate and add its own sonic signature. Subs must *always* be placed on the floor.

For roughly around 27-28k (maybe less if you bargain), you'd have got the JBL SCS 140 and a basic Pioneer receiver. This will murder any sony setup in sound quality. The other option in that price range is the Sonodyne Cinque and a sonodyne receiver.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th November 2008 at 18:15.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:21   #2065
BHPian

I felt even the height at which the tv is placed in the first cabinet is too high. You will have to always lift your head to watch tv. Ideally tv should be around 15 to 16 inches from ground level. It also depends on the height of the sofa and also the watching distance from the tv.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:27   #2066
Senior - BHPian

None of the things are fitted yet, so I still have time to decide the height and set up. Plasma will be on the wall as cabinet work will begin on Monday, then the cabling on the wall and plaster/painting will wind up the work.

I still have not got the Sony DZ570 at home, I just liked it at the ezone closeby (hebbal esteem mall). But almost thinking of paying it tomorow and getting it delivered by evening. Compared to other brands, I prefered Sony for HT. Still there is time to ponder, I can stretch my budget upto 30k if I find something worth the money ! Further discussions I might have to do on the respective thread (Home theatre) if needed.
Old 20th November 2008, 19:09   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Beautiful! These cabinets/ racks.
I'm also trying to finalize the design of wooden cabinet for placing below my wall-mounted TV. Wall mounting is not that risky, provided it is done properly. Yes, the height is 26" from floor to bottom edge of the TV frame. Originally, the guy had fixed it at 3 feet, but I felt it was too high, hence got it repositioned. And its also tilted slightly (appx 5-10 deg) downwards, which also helps in reducing reflections from the window during daytime.
Anuragn

Yes I agree with you. Lots of care has to be taken when wall mounting is done especially since the LCDs/Plasmas are not very light. Thanks for those measurements. I shall go home and check out the TV's height from the ground to compare. The tilting idea is a nice one. I shall keep this in mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
All of them look great. I googled a lot, but couldnt find similar photos. So thanks for sharing. I prefer to chip and rip the wall to any extend and make the cabinet and TV both wall mounted (cabinet not touching the floor but above 4 inches from the floor tiles).

Anyway I have spent half a lak on the Plasma, 20k for the Home theatre (upgrading to new Sony DAV DZ570 system as my budget for plasma/lcd was 85k), and the remaining 15k will go for the cabinet and painting. So, I feel its a great and wise idea to beautify the whole Entertainment wall/area within the budget of a single LCD screen ! Interestingly I got 6k for the old 29" flat TV and expecting 7k for my present 5.1 Sony Home theatre (4000 watts PMPO) and 2k for my present TV stand (Damro imported), so that makes the whole calculation stay below 70k.

I am happy with the way things turned around, If I went for a samsung 6 series or LG Jazz model as I first decided, none of these upgrades or beautifications would have come to effect. Thanks to the Pana gang here and to all the lovely members of team-bhp !cheers:
Shajufx

No probs. I searched on Google and got all those pics !! Just type Home Theatre Furniture in the Google search box and you get plenty of matches !!

Well well -- getting your plasma, cabinet made, home theatre system etc all within your original LCD-only budget of 85k is just superb. And I am sure once the work is completed, your design of the A/V entertainment area would be one for all Tbhp members to see !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I am going to check out the LG 32" and 42" plasmas today at Dass in Premier plaza and Next today ( if they have any stocked )
Kpbhatt

Yes - you should particularly check out the LG 42PG61 model which is very sleek and classy. Picture quality and features are very good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The first image is nice from the viewpoint of aesthetics but is absolutely atrocious from the audio perspective. First of all wall mounting speakers is not recommended simply because when sound plays, the speaker will vibrate and this vibration will add to the sonics. The second problem with it is that the left/right/center are way too close to each other to actually create any kind of imaging. The sound will appear to come from the same place. The third problem is that the subwoofer is placed on some kind of board. Again when the sub produces bass, it'll vibrate and add its own sonic signature. Subs must *always* be placed on the floor.

For roughly around 27-28k (maybe less if you bargain), you'd have got the JBL SCS 140 and a basic Pioneer receiver. This will murder any sony setup in sound quality. The other option in that price range is the Sonodyne Cinque and a sonodyne receiver.
RoC

Regarding the audio perspective, yes I totally agree with you. Like I had mentioned too, that setup was mainly meant for the photo and nothing more.

As for the JBL SCS 140 and basic model Pioneer receiver together for around 28k, I would like a bit more information on this. Can I get a nice component setup like this for under 40k ? I live in Chennai, and I was quite happy with the ProFX Fusion 5 speaker system / Denon AVR 1509 combo for 38k. This is what I am planning to get. If you think I can get a better setup for less than 40k, please do let me know (brands / models and approximate prices).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I still have not got the Sony DZ570 at home, I just liked it at the ezone closeby (hebbal esteem mall). But almost thinking of paying it tomorow and getting it delivered by evening. Compared to other brands, I prefered Sony for HT. Still there is time to ponder, I can stretch my budget upto 30k if I find something worth the money ! Further discussions I might have to do on the respective thread (Home theatre) if needed.
Yes Shajufx

RoC seems to have good knowledge on home theatre systems and you can take advice from him, while you can also participate in the home theatre thread on the forum. I have also posted stuff there.

Last edited by VSG12777 : 20th November 2008 at 19:10. Reason: added a line
Old 20th November 2008, 20:00   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Yes, the height is 26" from floor to bottom edge of the TV frame. Originally, the guy had fixed it at 3 feet, but I felt it was too high, hence got it repositioned. And its also tilted slightly (appx 5-10 deg) downwards, which also helps in reducing reflections from the window during daytime.
My cabinet top will be at 28" from the floor. Then I plan to leave some space between the cabinet and the Plasma bottom, that is atleast 8 to 10 inches, eventually Plasma bottom at 38 or 40 inches higher from the floor. Thats 2 or 4 inches higher from your 3 feet old height. I find it perfectly OK. While seated on the sofa, eye level will be bottom of the screen and the viewing distance is 12 ft or more, so its not strain too. Even I was sure of the wall mounting due to a 2.5 year old running around the house non-stop for almost 12 hours carrying either a cricket bat or a basket ball. I hope my Plasma will complete 2 years without breaking its panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The third problem is that the subwoofer is placed on some kind of board. Again when the sub produces bass, it'll vibrate and add its own sonic signature. Subs must *always* be placed on the floor.

For roughly around 27-28k (maybe less if you bargain), you'd have got the JBL SCS 140 and a basic Pioneer receiver. This will murder any sony setup in sound quality.
That picture was just to show an idea of the set up, not considering the wooden panels around. I am taking your word and considering JBL and Pioneer, just because I dont have any upgrading plan for another 5 years atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Ideally tv should be around 15 to 16 inches from ground level. It also depends on the height of the sofa and also the watching distance from the tv.
Mine is planned at 38 or 40 inches from the floor, which is more than double than the ideal height ! I think it also depends on the viewing distance. I will post pictures and details once mine is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
The tilting idea is a nice one. I shall keep this in mind too.
RoC seems to have good knowledge on home theatre systems and you can take advice from him, while you can also participate in the home theatre thread on the forum. I have also posted stuff there.
If I tilt downward, I might get the window reflection, so I need to check while installing it. Cant we do that tilting ourself after installation too ? I had checked the Home theatre thread but found the discussion more on the high grade stuff, some members talking about 1 lak or more budget setting etc. got scared and never checked again If I read too much, I might end up stretching my budget and forget myself as "married" !

Last edited by shajufx : 20th November 2008 at 20:03.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:46   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Inspiration for me - I plan to have a setup along these lines when I do get my plasma. The media cabinet would be slightly different though.
Very good looking setup... courtesy, Onkyo.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-i_view_011.jpg
Old 20th November 2008, 22:02   #2070
Senior - BHPian

This is hilarious - and informative!!

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Most Viewed