Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:32   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Yes buddy, as soon as I saw your post on the HT thread, I checked the details and searching for where I can get a demo of this. Will update on that in the HT thread itself as we are disturbing the Plasma/LCD gang here. Thanks for the tip.
Old 23rd November 2008, 00:15   #2087
BHPian

Hey Shajufx

I had gone to E-Zone again with my friend today as he wanted to check out the Sony home theatre room. They had the DZ-870, 370 & 570 hooked up. To be honest, I watched a scene from 2 Fast 2 Furious using the DZ-870 (4 tall boy speakers, total 1000 watts RMS) and I wasn't impressed, though the bass was really boomy.

My friend was interested in the DZ-777 too, which costs around 24k. MRP of this unit is 24,990 I think. These all come with a passive subwoofer.

I then went to the Onkyo home theatre room where I had a demo on the Onkyo TX-SR304E receiver and SKF-4700 front tower speakers, 2 smaller bookshelf type surround speakers and large centre speaker, plus active subwoofer. I didn't ask for the wattage until I finished my demo. Sound was very good and there was a world of difference between this and the Sony. I could hear even minute details in this system.

This package was being offered for 34k here. For the price, I think this is a steal. Yes it's 10k more than the Sony and Panasonic you are considering, but the sound on this system will blow you away for sure. Amazing deal for 34k.

The receiver does not have any HDMI inputs but let this not put you off from checking this out. The sound output from this receiver is really good. Power is 120W/ch RMS at 6 ohms. It's got the speaker A - B setting so that you can connect 2 pairs of stereo speakers to use as a music system too. Features are pretty good and power is decent. The speakers were pretty good too. Front tower speakers and subwoofer are really good and I could hear a lot of minute detailed sounds which were almost non-existent on the Sony DZ-870.

I suggest you check this out at your nearest E-Zone or Onkyo showroom and then take a decision. For 34k I think this is a steal. Do check when you get a chance and post back with your views.

Warm regards,
Venkat

P.S. - Some pictures are included below for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-sks4700small.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-skf4700big.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-tx_sr_304_fr_big.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2008, 00:20   #2088
BHPian

VSG 12777

Thats 5 k more than what my brother paid 2 months back. Same package was purchased recently by another cousin for the same price.

Both purchased from Ezone in Bangalore.

Guess chennai prices are high.
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:14   #2089
BHPian

bbops1

We can then bargain on these prices. Or we can find out from Onkyo directly regarding the prices just to compare. Let me see if I can check on these prices from Onkyo showroom in Chennai today and post back. Not sure if they would be open today though.
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:59   #2090
BHPian

panasonic price cut?

Panasonic has advertised pv 80 @59,900 under exchange in TOI , yesterday.(Approximately 3 k cut )

So the street prices also should drop in places like Devis.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:48   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Panasonic has advertised pv 80 @59,900 under exchange in TOI , yesterday.(Approximately 3 k cut )

So the street prices also should drop in places like Devis.
Hey W12,

The brand shop here in Chennai anyway confirmed that they would not be able to sell the 42PV80 for less than 62k. So since they have advertised the 42PV80 at 59,990 under exchange, there is actually no price cut. The actual price if you buy the plasma without exchange would still be 62k.

Why go for a 42PV80 for 59,990 under exchange when we can get the plasma for 56k from Devi International, B'lore rightaway without exchange ? Devi guys are still the best for now folks !!
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:20   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday advertisement quoted that they were willing to take an old tv for "upto" 13K and the pv80 would be available for 55900/-

Well Devi was willing to take the old 29" for 6K and you would get the pv80 for 50K !!
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:57   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Yesterday advertisement quoted that they were willing to take an old tv for "upto" 13K and the pv80 would be available for 55900/-

Well Devi was willing to take the old 29" for 6K and you would get the pv80 for 50K !!
Yup there you go !! Devi is still the best Panasonic's ad is an eyewash.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:08   #2094
BHPian

Just went to RK's at Jubilee Hills Hyderabad to purchase a DVD player for my friend. I saw the Panasonic 50PY850 there. The MRP is around 1.99 Lakhs where as the buying price is around 163000 when enquired. It was written on the side that it is Made in Japan and also the side frame and the plasma screen are both at the same level as if there is no separation of the frame. Did not check it thoroughly.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:28   #2095
BHPian

Is it worth bringing a new LCD/Plasma in from overseas ?

Hi guys

One of our forum members netarchie had mentioned sometime in July 2008 that he had brought the latest Samsung Series 6 LCD - 32 inch from Bangkok and it cost him INR 42k. However no details on duties paid etc were given.

I would like to know now whether it is worth it buying a plasma from Singapore / Bangkok etc where electronics are cheaper and bringing it into India.

I find from the Customs website that for a passenger above 10 years of age who returns from a stay abroad of 3 days or more, the duty free allowance is INR 25k, in addition to a laptop which can be brought in duty free. The duty applicable for any item which exceeds the duty free allowance of 25k, is 37.5% of the amount that exceeds the duty free limit.

Eg If I buy a plasma tv from Singapore for INR 100k, 25k out of this is duty free. So 37.5% is charged as duty on the remaining 75k, which amounts to around 28k. So in essence for a product worth 100k, we would be totally paying 128k for it. This 28k works out to around 28-30% of the full cost of the item.

Now obviously this would be worth it only if the product is cheaper to bring in, despite paying the duties. Eg if the 100k plasma is being sold here for say, 150k or 175k, it still works out cheaper for us to buy it outside and bring it in with duties.

Please give your views on this issue along with any website links to prices of these items outside etc so that we can check and compare the prices with Indian prices. As of now, only US/UK prices are easily available on the internet.

Look forward to your responses guys !!

RoC, I definitely await some useful information from you

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 24th November 2008, 15:54   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hi guys

I would like to know now whether it is worth it buying a plasma from Singapore / Bangkok etc where electronics are cheaper and bringing it into India.

Venkat
Hi Venkat,

The customs guys calculate the price of the TV which you have bought based on the 'Bluebook' they have which contains the prices, sometimes outdated and higher than what you would have paid. The customs duty is not calculated on the bill you would produce for the purchase. You are right about the Rs 25000 exemption.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:06   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find from the Customs website that for a passenger above 10 years of age who returns from a stay abroad of 3 days or more, the duty free allowance is INR 25k, in addition to a laptop which can be brought in duty free. The duty applicable for any item which exceeds the duty free allowance of 25k, is 37.5% of the amount that exceeds the duty free limit.

Eg If I buy a plasma tv from Singapore for INR 100k, 25k out of this is duty free. So 37.5% is charged as duty on the remaining 75k, which amounts to around 28k.
Unfortunately its not as straightforward. Value of LCD for taxation would not be INR 100K. It would be price of similar models in India (E.g. INR 140K).

So, tax would be higher then 28K.

Every customs office would have booklets that have reference prices for most items. Its very crude, like

Sony Digital camera
5 MP - INR 7K
7MP - 9K

Sharp LCD
32 Inch - 30K
40 Inch - 40K

And so on...

In my experience, customs in Red Channel, will overvalue items and then hint at bribes. At least that is the way it works in Mumbai. You arrive at Red channel, they hint at bribes and bring down valuation to near 25 K.

You proceed to SBI counter for paying duty (Since they have video surveillance at counters ) and you loose your pockets in that area.

I always insist on paying complete duty and look on their face is priceless... and since items that I usually buy (like Digicam / Computer parts) are not that costly so actual duty is around few hundred rupees.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:09   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

One of our forum members netarchie had mentioned sometime in July 2008 that he had brought the latest Samsung Series 6 LCD - 32 inch from Bangkok and it cost him INR 42k. However no details on duties paid etc were given.

I don't think it will be worth.
Price difference is not much for you to take so much pain.
Customs you may be able to get through by paying Rs-1000. My friend also bought a 32" Samsung from Singapore. Conversion price was 32k and in India it was available for 38k.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:19   #2099
BHPian

If you are ok with getting it from abroad with all the hassles involved, you rather buy the same LCD from the grey market and pay way less than what the official price is. You will not get a warranty, but usually this is not much of an issue with reputed brands and reputed grey market sellers. I got in my home theatre from Singapore 3 years ago and had to service it once in Sony service center for which I was charged 1000 bucks. So irrespective of the warranty they will still service the products, but you will have to pay for it.

Here in bangalore I know a couple of really good guys who can get you sony lcds at around 20% lower than mrp.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:48   #2100
BHPian

Hmm lots of interesting information guys. Thanks. Looks like it may not be worth it bringing these electronics from overseas after all, especially the expensive stuff like LCDs/Plasmas. I shall stick to the plan of buying it in India itself.

However does anyone know some good places / shops in Chennai where we can get the same showroom models . eg Panasonic PV80 plasma at lower than showroom prices ? The showroom price of a 42PV80 is now 62k. If the same thing can be obtained for 40-45k, it may be worth it buying from the grey market. But if the difference is only 5-6k, I would rather buy it from the showroom itself.

In case any of you guys would know some good places to get plasmas at low prices in the grey market, please do let me know. PMs are also fine. If the prices are really good, I would like to go in for maybe a bigger size plasma - 50 inch. However if the prices are not low enough to impress, then the idea would be dropped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks