Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 16:03   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Why stop there mate? You will end up having to buy a new house with a dedicated theater room to house all the above
lol Just bought a house and the reason for the PV 80 was that the 21" sony was too small for the house so now u know the prequel to the PV80 and the sequel too. cheers:

Last edited by sammyboy : 4th December 2008 at 16:04.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:04   #2237
BANNED

I am using Pioneer DV-490V-S which i bought for 98$ in 2006 end and now using its full potential with my Pana and its upscaling feature works at its best, got Onkyo basic HT which came as offer with Pana and all together they makes magic for me .
Missing one good HT which upscales any input to HD, Blue Ray player and USB interface in my old DVD player.Lets wait and watch when DTH offers HD broadcast.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:37   #2238
BHPian

@Sammyboy: Ha ha - true how we keep adding stuff once we buy a TV !! There is no end to it and we stop when and where we wish to - but the fact is we are tempted NOT to stop !!

@Thalaboy: True man !! We would end up buying a new house with a dedicated home theatre room to house everything, but we would then be tempted to get an even bigger plasma tv or maybe a projector and a motorised screen !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 4th December 2008, 17:53   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the PV80 is more like a Pandora's box. First buy PV80 , then to see a good pic buy tata sky +, now to enjoy dvd's buy ps3/upscaling dvd player, then to really enjoy the package get a good home theater. Oh man will there ever be an end to this ?
It doesnt stop there. Think about my situation. I got a PV8, then felt the TV cabinet doesnt match, had to dispose that, get a wall mounted new cabinet and beautify the wall. Then I thought the Sony HT is already 6 years old, how can I keep it with a brand new Plasma ? Disposed it, got a new Philips HT with all tower speakers. Threw the old sofas and got a 3+1+1 art leather posh looking ones. Then I found the dining table was only 4 chair, could not find it matching with the surrounding too. Disposed it and got a 6 chair one with more style and strength. Wifee asked, "hope you are not planning to upgrade your wife too, since I am already 5 years with you" I came back to real life and stoped my upgrades that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Why stop there mate? You will end up having to buy a new house with a dedicated theater room to house all the above
Exactly what went through my mind. But I wont think about a new house for a 42" screen. May be the day I can afford 60+", I might also think about house upgrade. Need to slog for vitamin M till then.
Old 4th December 2008, 18:03   #2240
Senior - BHPian

ha ha ha Shaju, you take the cake . Thankfully the house I moved in had a cabinet already created and fixed to the wall so the TV was to match that
The old tv trolley for the old tv is now being used as a cupboard.

Ok now some plasma talk, what are the RGBY buttons on the remote for? I tried pressing them but nothing which I could make out happened.
Old 4th December 2008, 18:10   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
..... Wifee asked, "hope you are not planning to upgrade your wife too, since I am already 5 years with you" I came back to real life and stopped my upgrades that moment. ....
If you did that then you will have to downgrade everything back so that you can cater to the "new upgraded" demands!
Old 4th December 2008, 19:19   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ok now some plasma talk, what are the RGBY buttons on the remote for? I tried pressing them but nothing which I could make out happened.
Nothing will happen to your action on the RGBY as long as you are on tatasky or any other dish. It will start functioning only if the usual cable TV is connected to your plasma. TV can start scanning channels, set favourites etc on RGBY. So according to me half the buttons on the plasma remote are useless ! Bottom portion is only for viera link gadgets (VCR/DVD links). But RGBY buttons add beauty to the remote if you look at it that way. Sometimes you can feel that you are controlling half the globe with numerous buttons of your plasma remote. I wish I could send some missiles to Pakistan by pressing the Green button and few to China by pressing the Yellow, just a couple to Iraq by touching the Red etc.cheers:

Last edited by shajufx : 4th December 2008 at 19:22.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:38   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
if you guys are really in it - get a PS3 - not only does it upscale dvds, but also plays blu rays and yes you can game occasionally too!! Not to mentioned the fact that you can stream hd videos to it from any computer to further enjoy the plasma or dual boot it with linux and use it as a home pc/universal media player Ofcourse all that at 24k where as good upscaling philips dvd player will cost you 6k, but then you can do so much more
Jassi - that's exactly what i had in mind - but i should think about new ways to convince my wife about the need for another console . I had picked up a Wii a few months back.

But that apart - my biggest problems with PS3 is that it cant be modded (yet) and BDs wont be commonplace for at least an year.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:55   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
But that apart - my biggest problems with PS3 is that it cant be modded (yet) and BDs wont be commonplace for at least an year.
Skywalker - I am not sure what you mean by modded - PS3 games are region free, you can pick them up from any country and most (not all) Bluray discs are also region free. Or if by modding you mean, upping the hard disk from 40gb to 320gb or installing your favorite linux variant - all those are completely supported by sony and infact procedures recommended on their playstation site.

Last edited by jassi : 4th December 2008 at 22:57.
Old 4th December 2008, 23:20   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skywalker - I am not sure what you mean by modded - PS3 games are region free, you can pick them up from any country and most (not all) Bluray discs are also region free.
i meant a mod chip isn't available, like in PS2. I am sure you can guess why - but then, lets not get deeper into that
Old 5th December 2008, 00:23   #2246
BHPian

Or ditch PS3 and get a Popcorn Live or WD TV
Old 5th December 2008, 00:52   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
i meant a mod chip isn't available, like in PS2. I am sure you can guess why - but then, lets not get deeper into that
sure got it
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Or ditch PS3 and get a Popcorn Live or WD TV
nah can't compare to archos pvr - not only does that play hd to your plasma, it also records from your cable box - having owned various models over the years i can completely vouch for it - but a ps3 can still do way way more for your plasma !!
Old 5th December 2008, 07:38   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
..but a ps3 can still do way way more for your plasma !!
Besides the gaming part. In what way can the ps3 do way way more when compared to the features available for Popcorn H ?
Old 5th December 2008, 08:09   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
nah can't compare to archos pvr - not only does that play hd to your plasma, it also records from your cable box - having owned various models over the years i can completely vouch for it - but a ps3 can still do way way more for your plasma !!
Jas: Can you explain, didnt get your point. Does Archos PVR play H268 with 5 channel sound?
Old 5th December 2008, 12:57   #2250
BHPian

Regarding PS3

Jassi

Are you sure PS3 games are region free ? Does this mean that I can buy a PS3 outside India if I get it cheap, bring it to India and play the PS3 games sold here without any problem ? What about Blu ray disc movies ?

I know some region free BD movies are available but what about those being sold at Landmark / Odyssey for Rs. 899 per movie ? Are those region free ?

I am now thinking - whether I should spend 40k on a very nice home theatre system like the Denon 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 speaker package, or the Onkyo HT-S5100 package, or go in for a Philips HTS 4750 for 22-23k and get the Sony PS3 for 24k !!!

Confusion, confusion and more confusion !!! All due to Team BHP !!! Like someone somewhere else on this forum said, ignorance IS bliss very often !!

Warm regards,
Venkat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks