Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:20   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shaju and Skywalker. Guess its all because of Jassi I have become so paranoid (hee hee Just kidding Jassi). I am just trying to be extra cautious, dont want the pixel burn to happen before my emi's finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
This should be image retention, not permanent burn in.
Nothing to worry about.
I have rarely noticed image retention on my PV80. And you don't see this until you look with your critics eye
Ok a question then to all u guys, what is the diff in image retention and pixel burn?
Is permanent image retention called pixel burn (or am I losing it here with age) ?

edit: Here is a great article I found on pixel burn Plasma TV Burn In: Is It Still a Problem? at Plasma TV Buying Guide

Last edited by sammyboy : 3rd December 2008 at 20:30.
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:21   #2222
BHPian

This should be image retention, not permanent burn in.
Nothing to worry about.
I have rarely noticed image retention on my PV80. And you don't see this until you look with your critics eye
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:32   #2223
Senior - BHPian

I have just picked up a Vertex 2KVA Servo Stabiliser souped up to audiophile standards like thicker cables, better terminals, double stage filteration, EMI/RFI protection etc, etc.

The picture on my Panny 80D has to be seen to be believed! The colour, Contrast, and the Black levels have all seen dramatic improvement. The SD signals (Tata Sky) seems to have 'firmed-up' and become more solid! DVD signals upconverted to 720p and passed thru a HDMI cable is purely brilliant!

I am completely satisfied and recommend this wholeheartedly - get yourself the best possible servo - it makes a HUGE difference! (Be careful - there are a lot of cheap ones out there)
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:53   #2224
Senior - BHPian

kb100, I was shocked to hear so many changes in your plasma just with a change of stabiliser !! I am still hanging on to my 300 va Vguard for my PV8 which consumes 380 watts according to the manual. I really want to upgrade. My plasma takes 380 watts and Philips HT takes 180 watts, could you give some gyan on what Vertex model can suit my needs ? Also tell us what all gadgets are connected to your new Vertex stuff ?
Old 3rd December 2008, 22:02   #2225
Senior - BHPian

hey KB this sounds awesome but I fail to understand how the pic changes because of a stabilizer ? Please let us know more details about this along with the price. Maybe the PV80 gang can do another group deal for this one too

Strangely the Panasonic installer said that I did not need a stabilizer for the TV :(
Old 3rd December 2008, 22:16   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
kb100, I was shocked to hear so many changes in your plasma just with a change of stabiliser !! I am still hanging on to my 300 va Vguard for my PV8 which consumes 380 watts according to the manual. I really want to upgrade. My plasma takes 380 watts and Philips HT takes 180 watts, could you give some gyan on what Vertex model can suit my needs ? Also tell us what all gadgets are connected to your new Vertex stuff ?

It was hooked to V-Guard before - therefore I can tell you this with authority that there is absolutely no comparison! My Philips CRT had blown despite being hooked to this stabiliser (nothing happened to the stabiliser!) - and the stabiliser itself quit working yesterday! Therefore my decision was made!

I have the Plasma, AVR, DVD, and a sub on the way that'll pull 300W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
hey KB this sounds awesome but I fail to understand how the pic changes because of a stabilizer ? Please let us know more details about this along with the price. Maybe the PV80 gang can do another group deal for this one too

Strangely the Panasonic installer said that I did not need a stabilizer for the TV :(
Clean and stable power can do wonders for your picture and sound. There is a lot of material out there - read up! (Sorry I am not a technical person at all - hence will not be able to elucidate effectively!) I was a hard core sceptic too - Till now! It was a 11.5k decision - and there is a lot of snake oil out there.

This was something recommended by one of the leading AV distributors of India. Get yourself a good solid well built one - well worth it!

Last edited by kb100 : 3rd December 2008 at 22:22.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:02   #2227
Senior - BHPian

kb100, thanks for the response. I was also considering APC Line-R 600VA Automatic Voltage Regulator until I read your vertex experience (I am a die-hard APC fan since 2001, my PC back up is APC R S 1500 with extra battery pack). I am yet to differentiate between the brands and my actual need (max 600 VA will be enough for me, no upgrades in the gadgets for atelast 5 years). Hopefully my plasma will find its 'voltage inspector' as soon as possible.

Last edited by shajufx : 3rd December 2008 at 23:04.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:19   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
kb100, thanks for the response. I was also considering APC Line-R 600VA Automatic Voltage Regulator until I read your vertex experience (I am a die-hard APC fan since 2001, my PC back up is APC R S 1500 with extra battery pack). I am yet to differentiate between the brands and my actual need (max 600 VA will be enough for me, no upgrades in the gadgets for atelast 5 years). Hopefully my plasma will find its 'voltage inspector' as soon as possible.
Sorry Shaju

Will hardly be very different from what you have currently. This is no better than a digital stabiliser (like the V-Guard Digi 200). You will find absolutely no change in PQ with this. It is just not going to cut it! And I also read voltage regulation for computer applications are very different from AV applications.

You will need enough margin for 'transients' . So considering that the Panny and your HT will together need 550 x a factor of .75 = 733 Watts . This means you need a minimum of 1KV which will give you a buffer of 267 odd watts for the 'transients' (sudden extra demand for current). Bear in mind that ANYTHING you add will necessitate a further upgrade to your servo capacity. Also bear in mind that the difference between a 1 - 1.5 - 2 KVA is not much. (Approx about 1k per KVA )

The experts can explain better...

My recommendation - do some research - and make a decision. It can get confusing - all the best!

Last edited by kb100 : 3rd December 2008 at 23:25.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:34   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Panny and your HT will together need 550 x a factor of .75 = 733 Watts . This means you need a minimum of 1KV which will give you a buffer of 267 odd watts for the 'transients' (sudden extra demand for current). Bear in mind that ANYTHING you add will necessitate a further upgrade to your servo capacity. Also bear in mind that the difference between a 1 - 1.5 - 2 KVA is not much. (Approx about 1k per KVA )
So that throws the APC out of the window now! IT related power back up, I still cant find another alternative as reliable as APC though. So coming back to the servo stuff, could you give the dimensions of the product ? Its lacking in their website. I can only buy something that will perfectly fit into my newly built cabin. Cant think of a stablizer out of place, which will spoil the present improved aesthetics of the living ! Its not only that, even the power cables of the gadgets can not reach outside the cabin for any purpose.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:36   #2230
BHPian

@kb100: Can you please post details of the servo you got? How much for? Any web links?
Old 4th December 2008, 09:44   #2231
Senior - BHPian

hmmm... we PV folks are hijacking this thread. I guess since we have so many PV8/80 users here, we can create a separate thread itself?

So what HTs do you folks have? I have a Yamaha amp & speakers. I haven't yet upgraded my DVD player (its a 5 year old model and still watching 480p/576p via component cable) to an upscaling one. For people who have done it - is it worth the 3K i pay for it? Also which brand is recommended?
Old 4th December 2008, 14:35   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
hmmm... we PV folks are hijacking this thread. I guess since we have so many PV8/80 users here, we can create a separate thread itself?

So what HTs do you folks have? I have a Yamaha amp & speakers. I haven't yet upgraded my DVD player (its a 5 year old model and still watching 480p/576p via component cable) to an upscaling one. For people who have done it - is it worth the 3K i pay for it? Also which brand is recommended?
I still have my old faithful Sony RX7 (going strong for over 5 years now)but now have to look at getting a good HT to match the Panasonic.
I have the same query about upscaling DVD players which one would be good?
Could you share some details of yout HT?
Old 4th December 2008, 14:53   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
I still have my old faithful Sony RX7 (going strong for over 5 years now)but now have to look at getting a good HT to match the Panasonic.
I have the same query about upscaling DVD players which one would be good?
Could you share some details of yout HT?
if you guys are really in it - get a PS3 - not only does it upscale dvds, but also plays blu rays and yes you can game occasionally too!! Not to mentioned the fact that you can stream hd videos to it from any computer to further enjoy the plasma or dual boot it with linux and use it as a home pc/universal media player Ofcourse all that at 24k where as good upscaling philips dvd player will cost you 6k, but then you can do so much more
Old 4th December 2008, 15:25   #2234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
if you guys are really in it - get a PS3 - not only does it upscale dvds, but also plays blu rays and yes you can game occasionally too!! Not to mentioned the fact that you can stream hd videos to it from any computer to further enjoy the plasma or dual boot it with linux and use it as a home pc/universal media player Ofcourse all that at 24k where as good upscaling philips dvd player will cost you 6k, but then you can do so much more
I was thinking of the same thing Jassi. The only issue is if I spend 25K on this then the HT budget gors for a toss.
Sometimes I wonder if the PV80 is more like a Pandora's box. First buy PV80 , then to see a good pic buy tata sky +, now to enjoy dvd's buy ps3/upscaling dvd player, then to really enjoy the package get a good home theater. Oh man will there ever be an end to this ?
Old 4th December 2008, 15:54   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of the same thing Jassi. The only issue is if I spend 25K on this then the HT budget gors for a toss.
Sometimes I wonder if the PV80 is more like a Pandora's box. First buy PV80 , then to see a good pic buy tata sky +, now to enjoy dvd's buy ps3/upscaling dvd player, then to really enjoy the package get a good home theater. Oh man will there ever be an end to this ?
Why stop there mate? You will end up having to buy a new house with a dedicated theater room to house all the above

Most Viewed