Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 14:35   #2131
BHPian

Yes kb100,

I agree with you. Technology just keeps improving and it's simply impossible to keep pace with it. Just gotta buy it when we wanna buy it !!

Aadix,

That's a good idea. Hmm - well then maybe I will pick up a 42PV80 in Dec and then go for a 50PV80 in July 09 !! I can then move the 42 inch to the bedroom and put the 50PV80 in the hall

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 27th November 2008, 15:22   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
That's a good idea. Hmm - well then maybe I will pick up a 42PV80 in Dec and then go for a 50PV80 in July 09 !! I can then move the 42 inch to the bedroom and put the 50PV80 in the hall
Venky, by July 09, you might need a 32" LCD for the kitchen too ! Technology and needs of everyday life are changing every second !

How many days our Pana gang members had to wait for wall mounting after the Plasma/LCD delivered to your place ? I got my PV8 delivered home on 16th November and today its the 12th day. So far not a single call from Panasonic installation guys ! I found out the service centre number and called them on 25th and fixed the installation for 27th, thats today.

Called them today at 11.30am to reconfirm, the lady on the phone said "Sir, its raining, so none of our guys have come". I really lost my temper, I said "If you are not fixing it today before 6pm (no drilling allowed in our building after 6pm), I am sending it back to the dealer for refund." As the mumbai issues are taking place, wife's family being there, our TV is in the box since 3 days, desperately in need of watching the news. I am not making any personal comments here without knowing from others what Panasonic service means to members.
Old 27th November 2008, 15:25   #2133
BHPian

since both of you are saying that there is no problem with the scrolling text then it should be me or the TV. I'll get both checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Venky, by July 09, you might need a 32" LCD for the kitchen too ! Technology and needs of everyday life are changing every second !

How many days our Pana gang members had to wait for wall mounting after the Plasma/LCD delivered to your place ? I got my PV8 delivered home on 16th November and today its the 12th day. So far not a single call from Panasonic installation guys ! I found out the service centre number and called them on 25th and fixed the installation for 27th, thats today.

Called them today at 11.30am to reconfirm, the lady on the phone said "Sir, its raining, so none of our guys have come". I really lost my temper, I said "If you are not fixing it today before 6pm (no drilling allowed in our building after 6pm), I am sending it back to the dealer for refund." As the mumbai issues are taking place, wife's family being there, our TV is in the box since 3 days, desperately in need of watching the news. I am not making any personal comments here without knowing from others what Panasonic service means to members.
Shajufx, it's not really difficult to fix the TV to the stand, assemble and place it temporarily on a table or something and use it while you wait for the service guys to attend.

Last edited by nemo : 27th November 2008 at 15:31.
Old 27th November 2008, 15:46   #2134
BHPian

Nemo - yes just check your plasma again. Most of them don't seem to face this issue while seeing scrolling text on the PV80. If need be, maybe you can have a service guy from Panasonic come over to check it out too.

Shajufx

True, but isn't a 32 inch LCD for the kitchen, an overkill ??? Maybe a small one like a 26 or 22 inch would be alright (for the ladies to watch soaps while cooking) As it is, my wife likes the "dual zone" feature on the Denon 1709/1909 receiver since a separate pair of stereo speakers can be connected to a discrete audio source, while using the 5.1 audio from a DVD player or PS3 etc. She says "you can use that feature by setting up 2 speakers for me in the kitchen so that I can listen to some nice music while I work in the kitchen, and you can also enjoy your action movies at the same time" !!

More than 15k extra for that feature though is not worth it in my opinion. The 1709 has 7.1, slightly better wattage and dual zone audio compared to the Denon 1509. Definitely not worth paying 12-14k extra for.

And yes, like Nemo has said, I suggest you take out the plasma and set it up temporarily on a table or something using the swivel base provided in the box. This way, you won't get frustrated with the delay in the arrival of the Panasonic installation guys and you can watch the news too.

After reading your message, I've decided not to wall mount my plasma. I'll be happy with it on a nice rack, so that it's easy for me to shift it to another room if required. I can just move the rack to the other room. Plus, no drilling etc on the wall for this.
Old 27th November 2008, 16:00   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Shajufx, it's not really difficult to fix the TV to the stand, assemble and place it temporarily on a table or something and use it while you wait for the service guys to attend.
It was self installed on the stand for 10 days, then I placed it back to the box for chipping, electrical works, plastering, painting, cabinet work etc. Now if the wall mounting does not happen today, my only choice is to place it on the stand again, but cant do it alone.

Quote:
After reading your message, I've decided not to wall mount my plasma. I'll be happy with it on a nice rack, so that it's easy for me to shift it to another room if required. I can just move the rack to the other room. Plus, no drilling etc on the wall for this.
I agree, but I prefered a neat installation on the wall, just because I dont plan to move it anywhere else. Even if I upgrade to higher size, pipes installed on the wall will remain the same. In case I sell the house later, I will sell the plasma as well !
Old 27th November 2008, 16:03   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
guys,

i noticed while watching CNBC i found the scrolling text & the stock tickers to be very irritating to the eyes - i was not able to watch that portion for more than a minute. This is on PV80 and i just wanted to know if anyone else has observed it. i tried playing with the settings and none of them helped.

Jassi & Saji i would like to hear from you guys as you are also in Hatway.
I did not have such an experience with my setup
What is your viewing distance?
Mine is 9 feet and I am comfortable
Old 27th November 2008, 16:09   #2137
Team-BHP Support

I saw this phenomena on LG. This came just once or twice. It doe not happens always, but in case of some programs, when the credits begin rolling, it happens. This is rare, maybe one in 20 programs have this issue
Old 27th November 2008, 16:14   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
It was self installed on the stand for 10 days, then I placed it back to the box for chipping, electrical works, plastering, painting, cabinet work etc. Now if the wall mounting does not happen today, my only choice is to place it on the stand again, but cant do it alone.

I agree, but I prefered a neat installation on the wall, just because I dont plan to move it anywhere else. Even if I upgrade to higher size, pipes installed on the wall will remain the same. In case I sell the house later, I will sell the plasma as well !
Shajufx

True. If you don't plan to move the plasma anywhere, then wall mounting it is the best thing to do. But in my case, if I get a 42 inch plasma now, I might go in for a 50 inch a bit later, and at that time I'd have to move my 42 inch plasma to the bedroom to accommodate the 50 inch unit in the hall.

You've mentioned that the TV can't be stand mounted by yourself. Is it due to the weight of the unit ? I thought the plasma was only around 25-30 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I did not have such an experience with my setup
What is your viewing distance?
Mine is 9 feet and I am comfortable
Hey PV80 owners, on an average what is your viewing distance for your 42 inch plasmas ? 12 feet for a 50 inch plasma was fantastic as tested in a Samsung showroom sometime back. So for a 42 inch plasma, maybe 9-10 feet should be alright ? Don't want to sit far away and get the feeling that even 42 inch is small, cos it's actually not ! It's huge compared to a normal 29 inch CRT TV

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 27th November 2008, 18:15   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Hey PV80 owners, on an average what is your viewing distance for your 42 inch plasmas ? 12 feet for a 50 inch plasma was fantastic as tested in a Samsung showroom sometime back. So for a 42 inch plasma, maybe 9-10 feet should be alright ? Don't want to sit far away and get the feeling that even 42 inch is small, cos it's actually not ! It's huge compared to a normal 29 inch CRT TV

Warm regards,
Venkat
I am at 9 feet from my 42pv80
Old 27th November 2008, 19:18   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Venkat - The next generation will not be out till at least September next. The next generation is going to see the shift to the 5 lumen technology. (Did you read the links that were posted earlier?). Technology will keep improving - you can end up waiting endlessly!!
The next generation Pana will be out in Mar-Apr time frame, but this will be the regular line. The 5 Lumen lineup will come only late next year after commissioning of their new panel plant and may be launched as a different sub brand (not Vierra) as this will also sport a significant price premium over existing models.

Nemo, Scrolling text issue is most probably related to some wrong (scanning or motion handling) setting.
Old 27th November 2008, 19:36   #2141
BHPian

Nemo,
After you said it, I specifically looked at the rolling text in NDTV profit and I get what you mentioned. I too find a slight vibration in characters (letters are dancing )

But not prominent in news channels. NDTV profit one is very fast moving
From around 20 feet distance, it looks neat.
Old 27th November 2008, 19:36   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
The next generation Pana will be out in Mar-Apr time frame, but this will be the regular line.

Given the mechanics this should take until July to be available in India.
Old 27th November 2008, 20:54   #2143
BHPian

sj

Please check CNBC and let us know. I felt Profit's scrolling text better.

ST7677, Can you elaborate on the settings that you are talking about please? The scanning is set 100 hz
Old 27th November 2008, 21:14   #2144
BHPian

OK question for folks in Pune ( or anyone else who can respond) -- i have tried the Pana site and there are no specific dealers or company showrooms in Pune ( Pimpri-Chinchwad) area to be specific. I also wanted to see a demo of the LG 42" frameless plasma but havent been lucky. I have tried ezone(Premier plaza), next, Dass and Radhika electronics without much luck. Most of them have LCDs on display and sale.

please guide me to a decent shop where I can demo and decide on the purchase ( either LG 42" or Panasonic 42")
Old 28th November 2008, 09:45   #2145
Senior - BHPian

@ kpbhatt:
You will have to venture out of pimpri-chinchwad if you want to check Plasmas. Panasonic brand shops for pune are in Kothrud (opp. Yashvantrao chavan natyagruha) and in Kasba peth area. You can also visit 'AVxllence' in Akshay Complex, Dhole patil road to check out panasonic & pioneer plasmas.

Most Viewed