Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 19:29   #9631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Haven't bought a TV in years so forgive me for sounding like a total noob

My parents had a 32" Panasonic LCD TV which got damaged in transit and am looking for a replacement. The TV will likely rest on a table stand in their bedroom which has a decent viewing distance of ~15 feet. Is 32" sufficient? Or should I upsize? Also what are good brands to shop for? They've used a couple of Sonys before this Panny. Chinese brands are a no-no.
Old 21st October 2020, 19:37   #9632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My parents had a 32" Panasonic LCD TV which got damaged in transit and am looking for a replacement. The TV will likely rest on a table stand in their bedroom which has a decent viewing distance of ~15 feet. Is 32" sufficient?
Complete noob on TVs too. But sir, are you sure about the 15 feet distance?

If we take rtings Distance to size calculator I don't know of many TV's that can meet the recommended size. Actually their max distance is capped at 12ft.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:32   #9633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
For your budget I could suggest you the Samsung 55" TU8570 Crystal 4K TV. In Sony there is 55" X74H or X75H. I don't know the exact difference between these two Sony models.
Have purchased a Sony 55 X7500H from a local store in Chandigarh. Got some discount at listed price of 74k. Thank you.
amsidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:31   #9634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Haven't bought a TV in years so forgive me for sounding like a total noob

My parents had a 32" Panasonic LCD TV which got damaged in transit and am looking for a replacement. The TV will likely rest on a table stand in their bedroom which has a decent viewing distance of ~15 feet. Is 32" sufficient? Or should I upsize? Also what are good brands to shop for? They've used a couple of Sonys before this Panny. Chinese brands are a no-no.
My parents have a 55 inch TV wall mounted and I was watching it after a really long time because we just got wifi extended to the room. I tried watching it from the recommended distance given in online calculators and got a headache. The TV is really good from 15 feet away, in fact I think that's ideal. You should measure the distance at home, go to the store and see what size they like, at the same distance. If Chinese brands are out, check out Sony(the one at home is a Sony), their showrooms should allow for variety of sizes and immediate viewing distance comparison.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:04   #9635
Senior - BHPian

Even I advocate getting 4K TV instead of full HD.
. 4K content is coming up fast so future is 4K.
. HD will be phased out so maintenance especially panels will be difficult if not impossible to get.
. Very limited range of HD TV in the 55+" range.
. Most of the current innovation is for 4K TV so you get the latest hardware and software.
. Last but not the least is the price differential between HD and 4K. It used to be 1L at one time, but now it is less than 10K on a base price of 50K.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:09   #9636
Distinguished - BHPian

This TV https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-in...ustomerReviews

Sony Bravia 138.8 cm (55 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV KD-55X7002G

is now on some deal for 59k. Is that worth it for a full 4k TV? I dont care for Android TV's, I will always install the Fire Stick or a Google TV to it.

Limited time deal apparently, let me know lol.
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:21   #9637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

is now on some deal for 59k. Is that worth it for a full 4k TV? I dont care for Android TV's, I will always install the Fire Stick or a Google TV to it.

I evaluated that tv when i bought the 49W800G. While i really wanted a size 50, Android and 802.11ac on W series were also reasons that made me choose the W series. However if you can look past that, 55x7002G is a solid 4k tv and at 59k is a bargain IMO
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:37   #9638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I evaluated that tv when i bought the 49W800G. While i really wanted a size 50, Android and 802.11ac on W series were also reasons that made me choose the W series. However if you can look past that, 55x7002G is a solid 4k tv and at 59k is a bargain IMO
Wont the latest Fire Stick or the Google TV setup negate the need of an Android OS/ and 802.11 ac?
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:52   #9639
BHPian

Quote:
Wont the latest Fire Stick or the Google TV setup negate the need of an Android OS/ and 802.11 ac?
The Firestick will certainly help tackle the lack of Android OS, however I am not sure how to solve the wifi issue.

Frankly if you are ok with the 55 size and need a decent 4k tv, there is no better choice for that amount.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:44   #9640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
The Firestick will certainly help tackle the lack of Android OS, however I am not sure how to solve the wifi issue.

Frankly if you are ok with the 55 size and need a decent 4k tv, there is no better choice for that amount.
Hmm. The firestick is wifi enabled else it cant stream content no?

Fire TV Stick 4K Specs
Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I got the same one at 72k in July-2020 and if you are getting the same at 59K, I would say go get it with your eyes closed. Stellar deal and gem of a TV
It was at 53k for prime members and an additional 28% gst discount if you run your own business lol. That would be sub 45k at my door.

Let us see what my future holds haha.

Last edited by Red Liner : 22nd October 2020 at 17:46.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:44   #9641
BHPian

Quote:

I got the same one at 72k in July-2020 and if you are getting the same at 59K, I would say go get it with your eyes closed. Stellar deal and gem of a TV
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:40   #9642
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. The firestick is wifi enabled else it cant stream content no?

Fire TV Stick 4K Specs
Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.

oops! yeah Firestick should solve that issue!
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:05   #9643
Oxy
BHPian

It's infuriating that there are no exchange offers on Plasma TVs. Amazon and Flipkart take even CRTs apparently but no Plasma.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:17   #9644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

Can members here suggest a good 4k tv or provide their opinions on the below two choices:
  1. LG um7290. It's listed for Rs. 34,999 on flipkart. They are offering 3 year warranty as part of the offers on BBD.
  2. Sony x7002g. This one is listed for Rs. 39,999. I will need to get the extended warranty (Rs 5,500) for two years from Sony.
Sir, only one piece of advise - Sony G series are 2019 manufactured model. Series H is 2020 models. Most Sony smart TVs have Android OS. I had a series D (2016 make) which was Android OS enabled.

If you are open to buying Sony G series tv, you will definitely find an Android TV with a bigger screen size. Being an Android TV, you can visit the Google Play store in the TV and download whatever OTT platforms your parents watch. The remote should come with Netflix button pre-installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thank you. Actually since this is for my parents I don't think we need the magic remote. Android operating system (using firestick 4k) is something I need to take a proper look at but as long as the native Netflix/Amazon prime app is decent i don't think they will complain.
If you are opting for a Sony Smart Tv, it will have Android OS. This takes away any need to buy another FireStick (4K or otherwise).
As mentioned above, if it is Android OS, you can download all the OTT platforms (apart from Prime & Netflix) like SunNXT, AHA, Zee5, SonyLiv, Hotstar and any other that is available on the Google Play Store which is accessible through the Android OS.

Last edited by Ithaca : 23rd October 2020 at 09:24.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:56   #9645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Most Sony smart TVs have Android OS. I had a series D (2016 make) which was Android OS enabled.

If you are open to buying Sony G series tv, you will definitely find an Android TV with a bigger screen size.
Thanks. The OS has not been a deciding factor in my TV purchase since it's for my parents. All I need was a decent and fluid OS with the Netflix/Amazon Prime apps.

I finally ordered the LG 43um7290 (Rs. 34,900 with 3 years LG warranty worth Rs. 6000+ bundled in). I didn't want to spend too much on this since I am not likely to get a significant upgrade in PQ, motion handling etc unless I spend a lot more.

It's basically a TV for them to watch the usual SD and HD channels on a STB with occasional OTT content. I gave more weight to a known brand with decent service coverage and longer warranty periods.

This is why I didn't go for my second choice the Toshiba u7980 which fits my requirements better (great PQ, mediocre motion handling...I don't watch sports unlike my dad and only see OTT content and Youtube, unknown brand presence and service coverage but it should be better in Bengaluru). I will probably get this one next year when I am back at work. Hope that a 55" u8080 gets released by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
It's infuriating that there are no exchange offers on Plasma TVs. Amazon and Flipkart take even CRTs apparently but no Plasma.
Never noticed it. Maybe it's because of the weight and lack of spare parts?
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks