Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 13:04   #2251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Besides the gaming part. In what way can the ps3 do way way more when compared to the features available for Popcorn H ?
Fillmore - i was referring to ps3 vs archos and wd tv - don't know what popcorn H is - you gotta a link handy. Besides gaming, you can stream all your video/audio/pics in HD quality using something like tversity, you can dual boot into linux and use it as a universal media player for playing any format under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Jas: Can you explain, didnt get your point. Does Archos PVR play H268 with 5 channel sound?
from the archos specs (note the dvr station has hdmi and spdif connectors for hd video and 5.1 audio)
MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) including WMV protected files
M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution

With optional plug-in (downloadable from your tablet on www.archos.com):
HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)
you can get more here ARCHOS

I was also using archos earlier as my car audio-video player (via aux-in), in addition to recording all my music videos from tata-sky
Now with the realplayer video download option, I have basically stopped recording from tv and also since I have the htc diamond phone hooked up in my car (for gps and audio-video), I rarely use my archos (sad but true!! never thought my archos would be replaced)

Last edited by jassi : 5th December 2008 at 13:06.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:13   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Jassi

I am now thinking - whether I should spend 40k on a very nice home theatre system like the Denon 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 speaker package, or the Onkyo HT-S5100 package, or go in for a Philips HTS 4750 for 22-23k and get the Sony PS3 for 24k !!!

Confusion, confusion and more confusion !!! All due to Team BHP !!! Like someone somewhere else on this forum said, ignorance IS bliss very often !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Venkat - neither the 1509 nor the Philips 4750 will be able to decode Full HD sound. So if you are contemplating a blue ray player and want to enjoy true blue HD 7.1 HD sound processing, then you may want to look at one of the players which has Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio Decoders which amongst Denons, only the models starting from 1909 onwards have.

A good way of finalising is by asking yourself if you are willing to upgrade again in a year or two. If not - get the 1909 (or equivalent) and future-proof yourself!

Last edited by kb100 : 5th December 2008 at 13:14.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:18   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Venkat - neither the 1509 nor the Philips 4750 will be able to decode Full HD sound. So if you are contemplating a blue ray player and want to enjoy true blue HD 7.1 HD sound processing, then you may want to look at one of the players which has Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio Decoders which amongst Denons, only the models starting from 1909 onwards have.

A good way of finalising is by asking yourself if you are willing to upgrade again in a year or two. If not - get the 1909 (or equivalent) and future-proof yourself!
well my 2 year old onkyo thx990(s) does dolby true hd and DTS-hd as well has all the thx/dolby modes for 7.1 (including dolby plIIx). I added Jamo S606 fronts to it (only because some of my speakers got stolen and I wanted to get back to 7.1) and have a pretty good HT now. When i bought it, it was 60k, but last I heard it was on sale for 39k. It is also the only thx certified htib, with everything including the wires thx certified . Good HTIB, if you don't want to go down building your own.
Edit - now die-hard HT fans, don't give me the THX cert is useless talk, all I am saying is it gives some assurance of quality amongst the sea of HTIBs - peace!!

Last edited by jassi : 5th December 2008 at 13:21.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:09   #2254
BHPian

Is this a good buy -- i checked with Hitachi office in Mumbai and they quoted that they have started shipping these in India -- can anyone staying close to AV excellence ( Dhole Patil Road) confirm if this is true :

Hitachi UT37X902 Review - 37 Inch Ultrathin LCD TV
Old 5th December 2008, 14:15   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
well my 2 year old onkyo thx990(s) does dolby true hd and DTS-hd as well has all the thx/dolby modes for 7.1 (including dolby plIIx). I added Jamo S606 fronts to it (only because some of my speakers got stolen and I wanted to get back to 7.1) and have a pretty good HT now. When i bought it, it was 60k, but last I heard it was on sale for 39k. It is also the only thx certified htib, with everything including the wires thx certified . Good HTIB, if you don't want to go down building your own.
Edit - now die-hard HT fans, don't give me the THX cert is useless talk, all I am saying is it gives some assurance of quality amongst the sea of HTIBs - peace!!
Jassi where do you pick up speakers from Bangalore? I have checked out a few places like eZone, Modern World and a ProFX store in MG Road, but none too impressive. There were some good tower ones, but i am more of a small, but powerful speakers (read: not sound purist )

I am thinking of picking up some Klipsch ones in my next trip instead. Your suggestions welcome.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:22   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Jassi where do you pick up speakers from Bangalore? I have checked out a few places like eZone, Modern World and a ProFX store in MG Road, but none too impressive. There were some good tower ones, but i am more of a small, but powerful speakers (read: not sound purist )

I am thinking of picking up some Klipsch ones in my next trip instead. Your suggestions welcome.
i picked them up the s606 fronts from the jamo store in garuda mall for 24k (i think) - pretty decent - i didn't want to goto profx as I can't control my spends in such places modern world is good too and may give you some decent discounts
Old 5th December 2008, 16:48   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Upgrading plans in a year or two is just a mental status. Revolutionary gadgets come out in the market every now and then, its tough to keep up with the pace and upgrade our things accordingly. If you invest more today with an upgrade plan later, may be the whole product itself will be replaced with something affordable very soon. That is the situation in the electronic gadgets.

My 21" flat TV was big for me in 2001. I felt it was too small in 2003. Got myself a 29" flat TV and continued the same until 2008. I upgraded to 42" Plasma just because I felt 29" is too small for my comfortable viewing. I pray that I dont feel 42" is too small atleast for another 2 years !

kb100, I was waiting for an answer from you since 3 days. Earlier you mentioned about your upgrade from v-guard to servo stabilizer. Please post the physical dimensions here as I cant find them in their website. If it fits my newly built cabinet, I want to go for it and get a cleaner Plasma experience !

Last edited by shajufx : 5th December 2008 at 16:50.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:10   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
. If it fits my newly built cabinet, I want to go for it and get a cleaner Plasma experience !
Jeez !!Shaju, this is called going a mile over the extra mile
Will look forward to the dimensions of a new cabinet very soon from you to accomodate the stabilizer
Old 5th December 2008, 18:37   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 21" flat TV was big for me in 2001. I felt it was too small in 2003. Got myself a 29" flat TV and continued the same until 2008. I upgraded to 42" Plasma just because I felt 29" is too small for my comfortable viewing. I pray that I dont feel 42" is too small atleast for another 2 years !
that more or less matches my journey too - even the years are accurate! After seeing my BIL's 63", my 42 is beginning to look small too. must...fight...this...feeling...

Last edited by SkyWalker : 5th December 2008 at 18:39.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:51   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
that more or less matches my journey too - even the years are accurate! After seeing my BIL's 63", my 42 is beginning to look small too. must...fight...this...feeling...
All of us guys need to stop thinking that "Bada hai to behatar hai"

meaning ( If its bigger then its better )

This will stop all of us from going an extra 10 miles and spending our hard earned money on the cutting edge gadgets which get outdated every 5-6 months
Old 5th December 2008, 18:57   #2261
BHPian

With 70K plus budget - i will suggest you go in for a 2200 lumens benQ or Sharp projector. It will project from your laptop, DVD, Cable conection or Dish TV type connection also.

I have tried it at home and it gives AMAZING picture with approx 100 inch screen on a wall.

I have used a white wall for screen, and Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers for sound. Quite amazing while watching movies or discovery channel.

Think about it.....

Soumo Chatterjee
Pune
Cell 9970411311
Old 5th December 2008, 19:13   #2262
BHPian

True. There is absolutely no end to spending on these. No use in spending so much on something today, which is anyway gonna get outdated in a couple of months. As for plasmas, not much of choice in 42 inch size - it's either Panasonic or LG and both are almost the same price. But for HT systems, huge variety (component vs HTiBs) and even wider price range. So here is where we can really choose to spend less and still get a reasonably good system.

Well kb100,

I don't mind upgrading in a year or two really. So a good entry level receiver with good features like the Denon 1509 is fine too. But, the point is, if I'm again gonna spend upwards of 30-35k on just the receiver alone in 1 or 2 yrs, why spend 24k on the Denon 1509 now ? Might as well go in for a Philips HTS 4750 (which has been praised by other members in the HT thread) and buy a Sony PS3 to watch BDs (albeit with just normal DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sound for now). Both of these together would still cost 22k + 24k = 46k which is superb value for money.

What do you all think about the Onkyo HTS 5100 package for 40k ? Another member Flipsyde from Chennai has auditioned this 2 days back and he's very impressed with it, much more so than the Denon 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 package. Would like your views on this. The Onkyo package is a 7.1, has dual zone audio (5.1 in the hall, stereo source for another room possible), 3 HDMI in / 1 HDMI out, 130w RMS per channel etc. Speakers are smaller ones, though much bigger than usual satellite speakers. Reviews are pretty good on Amazon.com by customers who have purchased it. Planning to audition this today or tomorrow.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 5th December 2008, 19:43   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Well guys I think there's a separate HT thread where you can add all this valuable information. We seem to have deviated quite a lot from the LCD/Plasma subject !!! Anyways we Panasonic Plasma folks have almost taken over this thread
Old 5th December 2008, 21:18   #2264
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the Servo Vertex guy in bangalore (Murali) and he is sending me some technical details of their products that are not on the website. He quoted 9k for a 1 KV stabilizer. Only issue is I can not buy it as I buy anything else from a shop or showroom. They dont have a showroom in the whole of Bangalore. Its just manufactured at Peenya and supplied to customer/industrial orders straight away. He claimed around 350 supplies already done for Home Theatre/Plasma set up. ProFx also recomends their product according to him.

Where are the other Plasma gang members disappeared ? Do you guys actually use a stabilizer for your plasmas or just plug it straight to the main line ? Please put your feedback here. First time I am realizing there is a world outside the V-Guard monopoly. If someone values quality for a price, I think Servo vertex is the way to go.

Here are the details I just received;
Home segment we are branding it as ADYA which belongs to the same group.

ADYA 1 kVA Single Phase Servo Stabiliser : Rs.9000
Input Range: 170V - 270V; Output: 230V +/-1%
With Built IN double stage RFI/EMI Filter and Spike Suppressor(MOV)

Input : 2.5 Sq.mm 3 core cable of 1.5 mtr ; Output 4 nos of 5A socket Lisa Make.
Dimension: H 220 mm; W: 250 mm; L: 360 mm (Approx)

Last edited by shajufx : 5th December 2008 at 21:24.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:42   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

kb100, I was waiting for an answer from you since 3 days. Earlier you mentioned about your upgrade from v-guard to servo stabilizer. Please post the physical dimensions here as I cant find them in their website. If it fits my newly built cabinet, I want to go for it and get a cleaner Plasma experience !

Sorry - believe me - no scale in the house! and got to measure it only now! (that too using Iphone!)

With the front facing you, its 11 " tall , 13 " wide and some 16" deep. (approx - give or take a cm)

I don't know to make diagrams - but if you can then put one up with the above measurements and I'll tell you if its correct (if its required)

Quote:
Only issue is I can not buy it as I buy anything else from a shop or showroom. They dont have a showroom in the whole of Bangalore. Its just manufactured at Peenya and supplied to customer/industrial orders straight away. He claimed around 350 supplies already done for Home Theatre/Plasma set up. ProFx also recomends their product according to him.
Shaju - I am confused. Here you are getting something DIRECTLY from the factory , and you want to buy from a showroom? Ask anyone the former is way better - and cheaper! They have an office - and an entire factory - what exactly are you worried about?? They are correct about their installation claim. I myself know more than one audiophile who is using their servo's and are extremely happy! This also comes recommended by some of the best people in the business. (which includes some of the best high end distributors in this business - I even met one in Coimbatore who ALWAYS uses this for ALL his installations)

If you are spending 9k for a 1KVA I recommend you spend another 2k more and get yoruself a 2KVA one. makes it future proof - these things last a long time.

Luckily - they are in Blr as well - ask him if he can come with a piece, hook it up , and if you see a difference buy it! There is no way any regular stabiliser can compare with the protection this can give you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post

Well kb100,

I don't mind upgrading in a year or two really. So a good entry level receiver with good features like the Denon 1509 is fine too. But, the point is, if I'm again gonna spend upwards of 30-35k on just the receiver alone in 1 or 2 yrs, why spend 24k on the Denon 1509 now ? Might as well go in for a Philips HTS 4750 (which has been praised by other members in the HT thread) and buy a Sony PS3 to watch BDs (albeit with just normal DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sound for now). Both of these together would still cost 22k + 24k = 46k which is superb value for money.

What do you all think about the Onkyo HTS 5100 package for 40k ? Another member Flipsyde from Chennai has auditioned this 2 days back and he's very impressed with it, much more so than the Denon 1509 / ProFX Fusion 5 package. Would like your views on this. The Onkyo package is a 7.1, has dual zone audio (5.1 in the hall, stereo source for another room possible), 3 HDMI in / 1 HDMI out, 130w RMS per channel etc. Speakers are smaller ones, though much bigger than usual satellite speakers. Reviews are pretty good on Amazon.com by customers who have purchased it. Planning to audition this today or tomorrow.

Warm regards,
Venkat
VSG - I have not listened to any of these other than the Philips - Please go only by your ears - forget about what anyone says about anything! I am going in for a 7.1 with full processing capability. I am not intending to upgrade again in two years. If I go your route I might have to end up changing everything - the amp, speakers et all.

Last edited by kb100 : 5th December 2008 at 22:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks