Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 19:27   #721
Team-BHP Support

Reliance digital, the new consumer electronics showroom from Reliance is giving the Sharp 32" 32BX6 model LCD for Rs.37,990 on exchange for any TV dead or alive. A steal I would say.
Old 29th December 2007, 23:08   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I guess you did not get it..Let me try and explain..

There are two broad types of quality - standard definition and high definition. The DVD's that you get are MPEG-2 compression with standard definition. There are multiple quality levels in high definition with different number of lines - 480, 720, 1080 to name a few. These come either as interlaced or as progressive (indicated by a i or a p). There are two competing DVD formats for High Definition - one is called HD-DVD and the other is bluRay (sort of similar to the war between VHS and Betamax). You want more details, here is a pointer: Blu-ray vs HD DVD: State of the Division - Engadget
The Showdown: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

HDMI is a digital connector standard for audio and video and can be used typically for High definition quality, but not can carry Standard definition quality as well.

The upconvertor players around convert a standard definition DVD (format and quality) into high definition quality (either to 1080i/720p or 1080p). In order to carry the HD quality signal, HDMI is used.

Hope this clarifies..
to whatever you said. But I was not asking for the explanation of what each format is. My question was simple.. "Is there a noticeable difference after the upscaling using one of these DVD players?"

I am not talking about theoretical stuff but practical stuff. Let me explain with a few examples.

Example 1
1080 Interlaced Vs Progressive scan. Progressive is supposed to be superior given the rendering technology. But when viewed on an LCD/Plasma of 40 Inches and below there is no noticeable difference in picture quality. You cannot tell which is Interlaced and which is Progressive. To notice this you have to view it on a much bigger HD screen.

Example 2
Theoretically speaking, if a DVD player has the feature to upscale normal picture to 1080i or p, There should not be any difference viewing a regular version of a movie upscaled , Vs a HD DVD version of the same movie. But practically it may not be so. You will find the HD DVD version far superior.

In this context I wanted to know if anyone who has purchased this DVD player has noticed a difference in the upscaled image Vs the same DVD played on a player which does not support upscaling.
cheers:
Old 30th December 2007, 09:30   #723
BHPian

I wanted to see the difference too, but most of these showrooms are ill equipped (eg. no HDMI cables) when i was buying my LCD 6 months ago. Would love to hear from the others. I agree that if you have a panel that is less than 40", dont bother with 1080p, but it is tough to perceive the difference between 720p and 1080i. 1080p will definetly be better i am sure. A friend of mine bought an oppo upscaling player - will try it out and let you know.
Old 31st December 2007, 17:08   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
But before buying plasma make sure that you know the basics of plasma. Please see wikipedia for details. Life of plasma is lesser than LCD. and current consumption is almost double. So it may not run on your invertor
I am not for Plasma at all. Was just providing an update...

On anything below 40" it anyway hardly matters between 720 & 1080. So how does upscaling help?

Last edited by aah78 : 15th January 2008 at 21:41. Reason: Posts merged
Old 1st January 2008, 08:59   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
On anything below 40" it anyway hardly matters between 720 & 1080. So how does upscaling help?
I have a 40" LCD, The reason for upscaling is , although these DVD players upscale upto 1080p, They have settings to upscale to lower resolutions like 720p.

Traditional DVD resolution is 720 * 480, whereas HD resolutions are

720p = 1,280x720
1080i/p = 1,920x1,080 cheers:

Last edited by aah78 : 4th January 2008 at 05:35. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 1st January 2008, 13:23   #726
BANNED

Need suggestion:

I was planning to go for 20" LCD TV. I have one more idea: going for 20" LCD monitor + TV Tuner - basically separating TV from LCD.

For similar LCD specs, which is a better option: LCD TV or LCD monitor + TV tuner?

Note: The latter option is cheaper by almost 10K.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:57   #727
Senior - BHPian

I have got the Sony 3LCD RPTV last evening could spend just an hour while dinner and yet to go ahead with all tuning and different external input options..

I'm also planning to get TataSky (I understand its not DV input though - may be resolution of 480 or 576 max but not 720) - how do we compare TataSky with DTV?

I have the VGA cable and connected my notebook to this tv, it did some automatic adjustment and changed the resolution of my notebook(1400x1050) to 800x600. However, I could not see the video using VLC player or media player on TV!! they were showing blank - I could however see the notebook screen.. also. need to find out the cable that can pass on the sound from notebook to the TV in the market yet.

@Jatin,
let me know if there is any specific settings about the PQ we have to do on this unit..

some of the channels looks good even with the local cable in our area, this guys have channels with most problems around,, some of the good channels like Discovery, StarMovies, HBO have always problems.. I would like to see how is this unit going to perform with TataSky or DTV.

Also, if you can suggest me a stabilizer for this unit and other few stuff (xbox360 elite) that I'm going to add to this.
Using the old stand for temporarily, shall go out this weekend to look for a better stand for the unit - suggestions are welcome here too
Old 4th January 2008, 05:45   #728
Team-BHP Support

Reviews

Guys, any reviews on the following models?
  • Hitachi L42X01A
  • Samsung LA40M81B mosel blaque
  • Sony KLV-40X350A
  • Sony KLV-40W300A
Dad's looking for a 40"-42" LCD TV. Preferably, Full HD. He's bent on Sony but I'd like him to explore different options before finalising.

I've also shortlisted a few LG and Philips models.

I have a Philips 32" LCD myself and though the picture quality is great, I'm not at all happy with the speakers - even a little Bass causes irritating distortion. Anybody tried the Philips LCD's in India?
Old 4th January 2008, 07:45   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
  • Hitachi L42X01A
  • Samsung LA40M81B mosel blaque
  • Sony KLV-40X350A
  • Sony KLV-40W300A
Dad's looking for a 40"-42" LCD TV. Preferably, Full HD. He's bent on Sony but I'd like him to explore different options before finalising.

I've also shortlisted a few LG and Philips models.

I have a Philips 32" LCD myself and though the picture quality is great, I'm not at all happy with the speakers - even a little Bass causes irritating distortion. Anybody tried the Philips LCD's in India?
Generally speaking, the audio quality on these slim LCD/Plasma displays are quite crappy.. They are all pretty much the same. My personal preference is the Sony. If budget is not a problem, then there is a new crop of OLED TVs that have just been announced with a phenomenal contrast ratio. Samsung's costs 2.5L. The prices should drop as volumes pickup..
Old 4th January 2008, 12:45   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Generally speaking, the audio quality on these slim LCD/Plasma displays are quite crappy.. They are all pretty much the same. My personal preference is the Sony. If budget is not a problem, then there is a new crop of OLED TVs that have just been announced with a phenomenal contrast ratio. Samsung's costs 2.5L. The prices should drop as volumes pickup..
, i have the 40 Samsung LAR8 and everything is wonderful except the sound clarity ( sometimes it completely incomprehensible). However, i have a 5.1 HT to fall back on, so no major worries.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:36   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have a 40" LCD, The reason for upscaling is , although these DVD players upscale upto 1080p, They have settings to upscale to lower resolutions like 720p.

Traditional DVD resolution is 720 * 480, whereas HD resolutions are

720p = 1,280x720
1080i/p = 1,920x1,080 cheers:
well, I have an upconverting (1080p) Magnavox DVD player..as well as Blu Ray Disc (PS3) player..and the true hi def certainly is true hi-def..while the uipconverting dvd players..although they mention 1080p/1080i..etc..but well, if the source DVD itself is meant for 480i, the upconvertor can't do much ...probably yes..it'll give a better resolution than standard dvd players..but definitely not even near 720p..(hi-def)..
Also, to make sure you connect the upconverting dvd players to your tvs using HDMI..not composite video/audio..not component..HDMI is the way to go..it'll give you the best out of your player..

-sr
Old 7th January 2008, 02:11   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh So is the OLED TV already out? Is it available in India?
What size costs 2.5 lakhs?
What about the short life-span issues of OLED...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah
I would recommend a Sony LCD if you can afford one. The Bravia engine is undoubtably the best.

Last edited by ST7677 : 7th January 2008 at 02:12.
Old 7th January 2008, 10:53   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Oh So is the OLED TV already out? Is it available in India?
What size costs 2.5 lakhs?
What about the short life-span issues of OLED...?

LA70F91B LED LCD TV - television SAMSUNG
* Size : 178cm (70)
* Dynamic Contrast Ratio : 500,000: 1
* Viewing Angle : 178
* Response Time : 8ms
Old 7th January 2008, 11:11   #734
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is the samsung TV mentioned above the same as the Sony OLED? It only tells LED.

Check the news item below :
Sony brings OLED TV to U.S., encouraged by TV sales - Yahoo! News

It tells sony ( the founders of OLED ) have just launched the 11'' model in US for 2000$. How can samsung launch the 70'' model in india before that?
Old 7th January 2008, 11:35   #735
Senior - BHPian

Samsung is showing a 30 inch model in the CES show. Looks like OLEDs might happen earlier than thought about. That should make plasma Vs LCD discussions stop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks