Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 15:25   #661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LG claims a 5ms response time as compared to 8ms of Samsung and Sony.
That's the reason you didn't see the motion blur. 8ms is more apparent on the scrolling news channels and the credits. It is also noticeable while watching football where the screen moves very fast.

LG has good response but their colour engines aren't the best. I found the colour a bit artificial.
Old 12th November 2007, 17:34   #662
Senior - BHPian

I can't convince myself to spend obscene amount of money to degrade my PQ!!!

hmmm... I guess my wait will continue till I find good PQ on LCD, till then the big fat CRT continues to rule... <sigh>
Old 12th November 2007, 17:37   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I hope that statement is not just to console yourself. Current LCD range PQ has improved quite a bit from the last year ones. And, each year it continues to get improved but, then wont our expectations also go up?
Old 12th November 2007, 19:10   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope that statement is not just to console yourself. Current LCD range PQ has improved quite a bit from the last year ones. And, each year it continues to get improved but, then wont our expectations also go up?
Well not really! I had a lakh liquidity reserved for this purchase this festival season and had almost made my mind to jump in. Then got into this thread, did some research and actually saw some TVs and decided to hold on!!!

I myself said that PQ has improved over last year (post 660) but still the present LCD TVs (beyond 32") just don't cut it. The only 40" one I liked was Sony X series.
Most of the Samsung's features look good on paper only, image is not upto the mark. Their Image processing engine and noise reduction is bad.

Expectations won't change much as the CRT benchmark is already there. Current 8 bit LCD panels don;t give anything close to 16 bit colours available in CRT. (remember with each 2 bit the count doubles!!!) And then the 8ms response time - which in reality is 16ms for full cycle!

If someone says their 40" LCD TV is really good -
1. it's either they have a very expensive (post discounts 1.2 lakh + non HD) TV bought this season
2. They are ready to live with downgraded PQ in interest of an LCD Showpiece or
3. They need an eye check up...

Come on, we have heard enough number of people buying a 40" TV and then getting frustrated and going back to a CRT for the T20! (I have a neighbour as one of them)

Finally, It's all IMO... yours may differ...
Though I can back mine up by facts

Last edited by ST7677 : 12th November 2007 at 19:13.
Old 12th November 2007, 20:17   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, i am not getting into a war of words here. Just commented in a humorous way, if it upset you, sorry about it.

Keeping this thread debatable in a positive way--you already have a 10 bit panel LCD ( Sony V series onwards ) available. So why not opt for it, is it too expensive? I found paying close to 20K more for a V series certainly expensive and not worth the money considering the leaps and bounds of improvement happening in this industry

Maybe for some the reasons could be different but for most, main reasons in selection of a product is a combination of quality, features and most importantly price. So going by your debate, people should only buy 10 bit panel or higher with response times comparable to CRT standards meaning people who buy despite all this are making a wrong decision. Like me, there are many people who are happy with what they got at a price they paid after a bit of research into the types/brands of TV's available in the current LCD era.

If your content is mostly Satellite TV, DVD's, and PS3 games, i don't see how many people can make out the negligible differences of a superior 10 bit panel, better milli seconds, liquid technology, solid technology,vertical color gamut technology, motion blur reduction technology blah, blah etc.

The only problem i am personally facing is that my 29" CRT had better sound quality than my 40" LCD. Well, i am not cribbing as i got a nice ONKYO HT to hook it up to. And, like you rightly said, everybody's opinion differs and i don't see any need to back it up with any facts as i am the one who is enjoying the TV not my neighbor

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th November 2007 at 20:20.
Old 12th November 2007, 21:57   #666
BHPian

I had the chance to demo the Pioneer Kuro Plasmas this weekend.
I think they had the best looking pictures that i have ever seen.
They arent Full HD, and were pretty expensive.
The 42" Kuro was 1.45 compared to the 40" Sony W300 which was 1.29.
But the picture was just incredible. I think its well worth the extra money.

Of course both these TVs mean really stretching my budget, but considering that the last tv we bought was about a decade ago, i think its worth investing a little bit more.

My only concern now is if plasmas are any good for gaming. A majority of its usage will be for either the X360 or PS3. Im going back sometime during this week with my PS3 to see how the Kuro handles this. I hope its good because i now have my heart set on this TV
Old 12th November 2007, 23:26   #667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
which Model of LG? how much did that cost in Noida?
42500. Its the 32" model. The one with 10000:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response time and 2 HDMI inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That's the reason you didn't see the motion blur. 8ms is more apparent on the scrolling news channels and the credits. It is also noticeable while watching football where the screen moves very fast.

LG has good response but their colour engines aren't the best. I found the colour a bit artificial.
Yes, I also thought so, but 5 minutes with the settings and the colors are great. Watched DVD quality content through computer sRGB connection, as well as through component video connection, and it looks great. Even action.

Quote:

hmmm... I guess my wait will continue till I find good PQ on LCD, till then the big fat CRT continues to rule... <sigh>
I am happy with PQ on my LG. Most current generation TVs will give you good PQ. When I went shopping, I saw that after 5 minutes of fiddling with brightness contrast and color, all TVs could look the same. So I picked up the cheapest deal I could get among the current generation TVs. I also liked the fact that I could watch fast and the furious without getting a headache in the showroom. They had an older model Panasonic and the motion seemed little unnatural in the model. But on the Sony/Samsung/Toshiba/LG it was fine.
The biggest problem in current generation is brand generic. For example, Toshiba had this "green push problem". This was a manufacturing defect in panels. Certain sony panels had the "red push problem".
I do not know about 40", but atleast in 32" space, today I see no problem in LCD TVs. The only thing left to do with my TV is to download 720p content on my computer and connect and see whats the fuss about, or play games via sRGB, but as far as media is concerned, have tried AV in, Component in, Standard Cable. sRGB, and I am prefectly happy with my investment.
Sure, the samsung TV is more good looking, but at that time the best offer I was getting for samsung was 47000.
Old 13th November 2007, 10:38   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your content is mostly Satellite TV, DVD's, and PS3 games, i don't see how many people can make out the negligible differences of a superior 10 bit panel, better milli seconds, liquid technology, solid technology,vertical color gamut technology, motion blur reduction technology blah, blah etc.
Even if your signal is from DVD/PS3 games, except for noise reduction all other feature still matter.

I am not at all upset.
My only point was that good quality PQ at affordable rate is yet to arrive. My def of affordable is 1 lakh for 40" HD and by good quality PQ I meant that you should not feel the picture has deteriorated when switching from a CRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK1979
I am happy with PQ on my LG. Most current generation TVs will give you good PQ.
TSK you have a 32" TV with 5ms response time which is ahead of most other TVs available today. I am primarily referring to TVs of 40" and above. As the deficiencies are more visible as you grow bigger in size.

Like AA said good 40" LCD TVs are available today also but at 1 lakh+ price range, I would prefer to wait for at least a year for the prices to come below 1 lakh.
I would want to keep my TV for at least next 5 years if not more. So I would not compromise on PQ
Old 13th November 2007, 17:21   #669
BHPian

Quote:
42500. Its the 32" model. The one with 10000:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response time and 2 HDMI inputs.
Thanks tanveer.

Quote:
Sure, the samsung TV is more good looking, but at that time the best offer I was getting for samsung was 47000.
which model of samsung, I felt that LG black pearl (32'') is better looking than any other LCD.
Anyways I stilll have time to buy, will but somewhere around Jan next year. Hope I have more options to choose from.

Last edited by greatDrive : 13th November 2007 at 17:23.
Old 14th November 2007, 13:48   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Panthip Plaza..ground floor, there is a Samsung shop. I dont remember the shop name. But you cant miss it.

hey thanks.. this is the same mall where all the electronic stuff are supposed to be dead cheap right?
Old 14th November 2007, 14:50   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
which model of samsung, I felt that LG black pearl (32'') is better looking than any other LCD.
I think he's referring to Bordeaux Art, which I find the most attractive looking LCD available today. But I need to check out the Pearl Black in person. I've narrowed my search for a 32" LCD down to 3 at the moment:
1. Samsung Bordeaux Art
2. Sony Bravia V
3. LG Pearl Black

The Bravia may have slightly superior PQ, but I wasn't too thrilled about the way it looks. The LCD TV I buy will have to add a certain oomph factor to the room, so the exterior looks do matter. Hope the prices drop in the next month
Old 14th November 2007, 14:55   #672
Team-BHP Support

yup bordeaux art. It was my first choice but playing side by side I could not figure out why the bordeaux was 5000 rs more.
Old 14th November 2007, 15:13   #673
Senior - BHPian

guy's i know this is a lcd thread, but just wanted to know what are the good crt's in big sizes (ie:>29")
Old 14th November 2007, 20:17   #674
BHPian

Quote:
I myself said that PQ has improved over last year (post 660) but still the present LCD TVs (beyond 32") just don't cut it. The only 40" one I liked was Sony X series. Most of the Samsung's features look good on paper only, image is not upto the mark. Their Image processing engine and noise reduction is bad.
Hi ST7677, I'm planning to get a 40", or 46", LCD TV - the tentative date is February, or March 2008. I read with considerable interest your opinion of the Samsung LCD TVs, as the products I've shortlisted are the LA46M81B & the LA40M81B. Of course, my choices are purely based on paper specs.

I must hasten to add that I'm quite happy with my 8-year old, 29" Toshiba. However, Forza-Motorsport 2, Halo 3, & BioShock look really pathetic on it ! The reason I'd not considered Sony was that I'd read somewhere that Samsung & Sony share the same panels, & that the Samsung LCDs are made locally, while the Sony LCDs are imported, hence their higher price. Moreover, the Sony LCDs have lesser number of HDMI inputs than the Samsungs. Didn't seem right to pay more, for less.

I was wondering if you would recommend that I choose Sony's KLV-40X200A over Samsung's LA46F71B ? They both are around the same price...

Last edited by im_srini : 14th November 2007 at 20:19.
Old 14th November 2007, 23:14   #675
Team-BHP Support

Gaming!!? Don't even thing of a normal 40".
you need one with atleast 120/100Hz and refresh time <= 6ms
Other things like Contrast ratio etc., are not that much of a problem.

Before you buy, check out some supercars DVD(eg clarkson) and look at the pan shots from close quarters.
On the current generation you will get a headache.

Most Viewed