Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 01:50   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sony has 12000:1 dynamic contrast ration, but that number is meaningless.
I got the figure from Sony's website (Sony India : KLV-32V300A (KLV32V300A) : Details), but like you said, these figures don't really translate into an enormous difference in reality.

Quote:
For those touting sony as the best, here is a fact "Samsung makes panels for sony", so the sony model and samsung model are effectively very similar in technology!
That's an eye opener. I was aware that Samsung makes the panels for LG... did not know the same was true for Sony.
I have a few days in hand to decide. Meanwhile, I hope the prices fall even more
Old 29th October 2007, 08:59   #527
BHPian

Quote:
For those touting sony as the best, here is a fact "Samsung makes panels for sony", so the sony model and samsung model are effectively very similar in technology!
SONY LCD Ads in the newspapers (ToI, Bangalore) now specify "SONY PANEL". May be they have started making their own panels now.
Old 29th October 2007, 08:59   #528

Totally agree with TSK1979, The quality of the HD clip being played makes all the difference.

In addition to this besides having HD Video streaming from your DVD, It also matters on the quality of the connectivity you are using.

Component cables comes is different quality and price ranges, Same with HDMI too, you have HDMI 1000HD, 700HD 500HD etc..
Check Monster the current leader in these. (At least many people believe this) .. Monster Cable Connection Guide - Analog Connection

Mod Edit: Kindly wait for the post to be approved, don't keep reposting, it doesn't help the cause.
Old 29th October 2007, 09:18   #529
BHPian

well sony must've outsourced the panels to korean samsung as it may be cheaper.
This doesn't mean that the innovation for sony lcds is being done by samsung, any new lcd development maybe coming out of sony labs anyway, then converted into a standardized processed and outsourced to samsung.
Also on current series lcds most of the innovation happens on the picture processing i.e. wega to bravia engine, etc dont quite remember the current bravia version as of now
As a result even though the panel is made by samsung on two sony lcds bought 1 yr apart, the picture processing maybe completely different.

An outsourcer can make a part for 5 different companies, that does not mean they will all have the same end result with the product I am sure as tbhpians we can compare this with cars or as IT professionals with software.
Old 29th October 2007, 09:41   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samsung doesnt make panels for Sony,

Sony and Samsung source their display panels from the same factory and have a 50-50 partnership in it.

For more info S-LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After looking at a couple of LCDs id say I have to disagree with you, there is definately a difference between LCDs, you can make out. The LCDs I saw were all connected to the same HD source, the colour reproduction and contrast ratio were different in different models. Whether or not its worth paying extra for the difference in quality is another issue.

Last edited by khanak : 29th October 2007 at 09:43.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:54   #531
Senior - BHPian

I agree, I have seen more than 8 showrooms and have found Sony picture quality to be consistently better than Samsung.
I always make my comparison on Cable / Tata sky channel with a sports channel or News channel playing.

That's PQ, but overall with aggressive pricing I feel Samsung is a good VFM package.
Didn't check out LG, as it is anyway 4th in LCD TV market.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:31   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Samsung doesnt make panels for Sony,

Sony and Samsung source their display panels from the same factory and have a 50-50 partnership in it.

For more info S-LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After looking at a couple of LCDs id say I have to disagree with you, there is definately a difference between LCDs, you can make out. The LCDs I saw were all connected to the same HD source, the colour reproduction and contrast ratio were different in different models. Whether or not its worth paying extra for the difference in quality is another issue.
Well the end result is same, Samsung and Sony have the same panel.
As for quality, out of the box my LG did not deliver the quality I saw at showrooms, for a simple DVD that is. Adjusting contrast and brightness made a lot of difference.
At Hometown for example, one of the Samsung sets was showing much poorer quality than an older samsung model.
So all these are actually issues with settings.
As for same HD source, the source may be same, but there is also the coupler in between which does the job of distributing the same signal to various TVs.
That said most sony showrooms were using High Definition DVD discs, and the showroom where we finally bought from, the display was using normal DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I agree, I have seen more than 8 showrooms and have found Sony picture quality to be consistently better than Samsung.
I always make my comparison on Cable / Tata sky channel with a sports channel or News channel playing.

That's PQ, but overall with aggressive pricing I feel Samsung is a good VFM package.
Didn't check out LG, as it is anyway 4th in LCD TV market.
the best way to test is in a darkened room, in a bright room all look the same.
As for image quality, response time is important and all these leading guys have similar response time, so nothing lost.

I think in the 42" space which has true HD(not pseudo HD) you will make out differences between the different brands, in 32" space all the brands including Panasonic, LG, Philips, Samsung, Sony etc., look the same.
As for differences in image quality, I think it can more be due to settings.

If you really really want a better LCD TV, look at the 100Hz or 120Hz models that will be affordable within a few months.
In the current 60Hz space, atleast my eyes can't make much of a difference! As always, like they say in ICE. Trust your "sense" brands etc., is all bakwas.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:20   #533
BHPian

Quote:
There can be no 1080p in 32". You will always downgrade to 720p broadcast standard.
So find the best deal you can and get it....
This is not exactly true. There are a few true HDTVs at 32" size from Sharp Aquos range. However this makes better sense only for gaming or similar HD graphics development. The extra resolution is discernible only if the viewing distance is less than 6 feet for a 32" screen. Thus for a regular TV, thats an overkill.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:21   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
If you are going for Sony, dont consider anything below their Bravia V series. Ofcourse X series is the best, but its very expensive. Try V or D series.

Regarding picture quality (+ features and aesthetics, 37'-40' and below Rs100k), the following is my rating table after lots of trials. I am not really worried about SQ as it will get routed to my HT system anyway.

1. Hitachi 37' LD 9000TA/9800TA (75k/99k)
2. Philips 37' TA2800/98 (65k)
3. Sony 40' KLV 40V300A (87k)
4. Samsung 40' LA40 R81B (75k)
5. Samsung 37' LA37 S71B (62k)

Pricings are aproximate
I have decided on Samsung 40" R81 and will be getting it next week. Are you sure the price is 75K? The last quote that i got a month ago was 84K. And, as we all know it comes with Tata sky free. Please let me know what is the current best offer price as i don't want to lose good money in a hurry to buy it.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:47   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
This is not exactly true. There are a few true HDTVs at 32" size from Sharp Aquos range. However this makes better sense only for gaming or similar HD graphics development. The extra resolution is discernible only if the viewing distance is less than 6 feet for a 32" screen. Thus for a regular TV, thats an overkill.
So there exists a sharp LCD panel(32") which has a resolution of 1920x1080?
Care to specify the models?
All 32" panels in the market I saw (Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, Philips, Videocon, Onida, Samsung, LG....) were 1366x768 resolution.

Some models(like the one I got) support 1080p, but that means they downgrade 1080p to 720p internally before showing the picture on 1366x768 resolution
Old 29th October 2007, 13:49   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So there exists a sharp LCD panel(32") which has a resolution of 1920x1080?
Care to specify the models?
Sharp.ca Sharp at Home
Old 29th October 2007, 14:06   #537
Team-BHP Support

Woweee! 1920x1080 native resolution in a 32" TV.
All the models in most showrooms (Samsung, sony LG etc.,) had highest resolution 1366x768.
this one must cost a bomb though!
Old 29th October 2007, 14:10   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Woweee! 1920x1080 native resolution in a 32" TV.
All the models in most showrooms (Samsung, sony LG etc.,) had highest resolution 1366x768.
this one must cost a bomb though!
I think this model may not have been released in India yet.
Old 29th October 2007, 14:46   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the best way to test is in a darkened room, in a bright room all look the same.
As for image quality, response time is important and all these leading guys have similar response time, so nothing lost.
You are correct!
I spend some couple of hours with 3 of my friends who own
1. 32" Samsung Bordeaux Art (recently purchased)
2. 32" Sony V series (recently purchased)
3. 40" Samsung Bordeaux Art (Purchased in beginning of this year)

Analyzed one DVD (lord of the rings), One cable recorded CD and default signal (Tata Sky & Dish TV). Played around will all settings possible and backlight.

Even with same panel on Sony and Samsung, the Bravia (Image processing) engine gives much better pictures.
40" was horrible as there were too many artifacts visible.

For me the 32" picture on either is not satisfactory.
Old 29th October 2007, 15:01   #540
BHPian

they do pay a lot in US for experts to come from stores and tune your lcd based on the sources you have - oh yeah its big business there!! But the first thing they start with is disable all stupid display related features, put the picture in standard mode and then work on it The default settings are good for fast setup fo showrooms, but you need to change everything to standard and then work yourself up to setting the panel to your sources thats what i did and pq is excellent for all the sources i connect (tatasky, dvd, ps3)

Cheers,
j

Most Viewed