Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 00:38   #1276
BHPian

@csentil - i have been on this thread for quite some time now which is why told my friend to get the plasma instead of the lcd - just wanted to know how much the sony s series sucked in comparison to the panny plasma and then point him to my query and the answers to it on this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Jassi, you probably need to read up the last 10-15 pages on this thread for a comprehensive answer. The whole LCD vs Plasma and how good the Panasonic 42" is has been discussed. General conclusion is that the Panasonic 42" is too good and better suited for watching normal tv/cable/dish than LCD's.
@ST7677 thanks for the reply

Last edited by jassi : 28th July 2008 at 00:39.
Old 28th July 2008, 09:57   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
You are right. For regular viewing Pana Plasma will be better for him rather than Sony LCD, unless he has heavy PC usage planned.

Any idea when is Pioneer 9th Generation launching in India...???
It is not likely in the next 6 months (if you are waiting for that). However, it could be tomorrow also. What is certain is that the next gen is only in 50 inch and above.

On my Pioneer 42, my feedback is that TV looks very good (exterior). More importantly, DVDs are fantastic (just hooked up on a HT on the weekend). Of regular channels, the TV is great, but the content being broadcast may not be. I have seen that cartoons, Nat Geo/Discovery and entertainment channels look a lot better (worth the extra price for plasma), but major news channels look so so. Could be because of the production qualities.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:31   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
It is not likely in the next 6 months (if you are waiting for that). However, it could be tomorrow also. What is certain is that the next gen is only in 50 inch and above.

On my Pioneer 42, my feedback is that TV looks very good (exterior). More importantly, DVDs are fantastic (just hooked up on a HT on the weekend). Of regular channels, the TV is great, but the content being broadcast may not be. I have seen that cartoons, Nat Geo/Discovery and entertainment channels look a lot better (worth the extra price for plasma), but major news channels look so so. Could be because of the production qualities.
You are absolutely right.
Star, ESPN, Discovery, T&L (the Attenborough show looks yummy) and other non-Indian channels look stunning.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:09   #1279
Senior - BHPian

My conclusion about big screens Plasma/LCDs:
1. Better for standard Indian news programming (bigger picture, perhaps better quality).
2. Worth the cost for better quality TV programming.
3. Absolutely essential (of course a 21 inch CRT also does the job) for DVDs. Combine it with a Marantz/MS HT (recommended by ROC and bought by me), and compared with cinema theatres, you get comparable audio and good visual (though they cannot simply beat cinema visuals).
Old 28th July 2008, 13:19   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Absolutely essential (of course a 21 inch CRT also does the job) for DVDs. Combine it with a Marantz/MS HT (recommended by ROC and bought by me), and compared with cinema theatres, you get comparable audio and good visual (though they cannot simply beat cinema visuals).
Lol for that you need a 65" Pioneer Kuro Plasma and a dark room
Old 28th July 2008, 14:04   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
You need to get a Stereo to RCA cable, Something like this
http://www.cablesnmor.com/ProductImages/w16201.jpg

If you are from South Bangalore you can try Ezon/Chroma/Spar Hypermart.

Otherwise you will get it in the following Electronic shops
Jayanagar 4th Block Opp Sony World
Jayanagar 4th Block Opp Book paradise (The lane where NIIT and the computer spare parts shops are located)
Thanks buddy,
I guess I have got exactly the same cable (the one shown in the link) from market long back and it doesnt seem to be working!!
I used the same cable to one of the DVD input channels and I could hear the sound from the TV (played on my notebook)..

There is only one port for the PC in channel for the sound, I dont see a red and a white for the stereo input!! is it just the mono input for PC channel on this TV???

I beleive that single channel input for sound (part of PC input) is not working on my TV / never worked. I may need to get the service guys fix that before my TV goes out of warranty...
Old 28th July 2008, 14:39   #1282
BHPian

Ketan - like i said on pm, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable - which looks like headphone connectors on both sides. I saw it at tata kroma also today and it is also at staples, in addition to the brigade road place i told you. Ofcourse at kroma and staples, don't expect it to be 50rs.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:34   #1283
BHPian

cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
There is only one port for the PC in channel for the sound, I dont see a red and a white for the stereo input!! is it just the mono input for PC channel on this TV???
The one port that you see is a Stereo port.
If you take a blade and cut open the cables you will find it has 4 independent wires inside.
eg: if you take an iPod stereo headphone jack. That too is just a single port. This is not mono for sure.
Same thing with your laptop port.

The jack has 3 connectors.
- Tip dedicated for left channel
- Middle ring dedicated for the right channel
- Bottom , Common return for both channels

Last edited by Fillmore : 28th July 2008 at 15:39.
Old 28th July 2008, 17:04   #1284
BHPian

Ketan - its stereo input, I use it to connect my laptop headphone out to tv (keep the 3lcd in pc mode to select the vga for video and the 3.5mm input connector)
use this cable http://www.wiredco.com/images/6FT35MMMA2.jpg
I also use the same to connect my laptop to home theatre or portable video player (archos) to home theatre or car stereo aux in
Old 28th July 2008, 17:07   #1285
BHPian

Guys so i checked with panny showroom in kormangala (after sony world, next to ezone) and the prices they are offering are 68k for pv8 (list 70k) and 73k for pv80 (list 75k). Is this a good price or can be bargained more.
Both the pv8 and pv80 can handle 1080p (although the panels are not 1920X1080) and the displays are awesome when compared to the LCDs
I went to get my friend to buy it, but I am tempted to junk my sony 3lcd and get a panny plasma myself
Old 28th July 2008, 17:17   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Maybe not much of a negotiation, since the product is new. On the other hand, Plasmas are not in great demand, and perhaps some more negotiation. 1080p as stated by you is so far a gimmick, and not required. IMHO, Pana 42 PV80 at 73-75K could be much better than say a Sony V series 40 inch at 88-90.
Old 28th July 2008, 17:24   #1287
Senior - BHPian

68K looks like a good price. Go ahead and get it. You can always bargain. :-)
Old 28th July 2008, 20:06   #1288
BHPian

how would the pv80 from panny compare to the korean plasmas - are LG and samsung even worth looking - although I don't see much of a use but LG does throw in usb 2.0 and the ability to play divx/xvids/mp3s/jpegs etc from a usb device

still trying to woo my roomie into buying my 42" sony 3LCD so that I can upgrade to panny and get a discount along with my office friend!!
Old 28th July 2008, 21:19   #1289
BHPian

one more question does anyone know where I can find the user guide for the panny 42pv80h plasma and also does this model support hdmi 1.3
Old 29th July 2008, 07:17   #1290
BHPian

it says here ( VIERA TH-42PV70H | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India ) that the 42pv70 up-converts SD to HD using a 1080p remastering processor. Is this any good??
was this feature eliminated in the 42pv80 ( VIERA TH-42PV80H | Plasma TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India ) , can't seem to find it for this model. Although the panny showroom guy did say pv80 does it, but theres no way you can turn it off. Was he fibbing !!?

Most Viewed