Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:14   #1321
BHPian

thanks Jassi -- i will start saving for the plasma -- or alternately for a projector as i mentioned in an earler post
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:32   #1322
BHPian

just got hellboy on bluray and started watching it on my panny 42pv80 and boy oh boy its just so awesome this is the most amazing home theater experience - also getting some great dolby d ex mode sound outta my 7.1 system !!
Old 3rd August 2008, 00:44   #1323
Senior - BHPian

hey jassi, will a hd lcd tv be better than the pv8? thought of going in for the pv8, but was wondering should i pick up a samsung series 6 37" full hd lcd or the sony w-series rahter.
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:05   #1324
Senior - BHPian

It is true that a TVs native screen resolution, which indicates the number of pixels, or picture elements, on the screen. The more pixels, the finer the detail a screen can display. According to Consumer Reports `you can appreciate that level of detail most on a 50 in or larger TV, but you might see subtle improvements on a 42 screen, especially when viewed up close'.

Also no TV programmes are broadcast in the 1080p signal format now, but a 1920x1080 set will convert current HD signal formats (720p and 1080i) to match its native screen resolution. If the TV does the job well, the picture quality can be outstanding. In addition, Blu-ray and HD DVD players provide true 1080p content from high-definition movies.

If price is not an issue, of course 1080p is better than 720p. But beware of the fact that 1080p by a manufacturer is better than 720p of all manufacturers. Resolution alone doesn't determine picture quality. Some top-rated TVs are 720p. Also, do note that with typical HD programming, picture quality of a good 720p set can be almost indistinguishable from a good 1080p set (and far better than a run-of the mill 1080p), especially if it is smaller than 50 inches.
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:22   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey hi,

i checked out the pv8 at digital shoppy on rajbhavan road.

they havent got the full new range yet, only the pv8 is present from the new gen,along with all the old gen models. the full range will come there in a few days i guess.

all the new gen models are present at the panasonic showrooms at ranigunj and kukatpally.
I just went there, and the pv8d is available for 62K after discount and the pv80 is for 66 K. The only difference is that the pv80 has a sd card reader, which I feel is not worth 4K.
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:09   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I just went there, and the pv8d is available for 62K after discount and the pv80 is for 66 K. The only difference is that the pv80 has a sd card reader, which I feel is not worth 4K.
wrong - the pv80d also has the cats sensor for automatically adjusting the contrast based on ambient lighting conditions (useful unless you have a very controlled and dedicated tv room) as well as 3 hdmi inputs (useful unless ur home theater receiver has a 3+ hdmi switcher). Apart from these 2 things and the sd card reader (which most of us won't use), it looks better (subjective). In my opinion 66k is an awesome price, as I got it for 71.9k. Do ensure that these guys are not dumping showroom demo pieces on you. Typically these models have been on display for 2-3 weeks, which is around 200-300hrs. Given that for a plasma, the first 100 hrs of run-in is important (no static logos for 6hr+ periods, etc), I would recommend you be paranoid of getting a showroom piece

Last edited by jassi : 3rd August 2008 at 15:11.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:21   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
wrong - the pv80d also has the cats sensor for automatically adjusting the contrast based on ambient lighting conditions (useful unless you have a very controlled and dedicated tv room) as well as 3 hdmi inputs (useful unless ur home theater receiver has a 3+ hdmi switcher). Apart from these 2 things and the sd card reader (which most of us won't use), it looks better (subjective). In my opinion 66k is an awesome price, as I got it for 71.9k. Do ensure that these guys are not dumping showroom demo pieces on you. Typically these models have been on display for 2-3 weeks, which is around 200-300hrs. Given that for a plasma, the first 100 hrs of run-in is important (no static logos for 6hr+ periods, etc), I would recommend you be paranoid of getting a showroom piece
Thanks Jassi for your inputs. I still feel the pv8d is enough for me, as I don't even think I will use even one of the hdmi inputs--my 6 year old Panasonic home theatre system only has s video and normal av outputs.
I've bargained and got a pv 8 for 60K! They've just installed the piece.

As regards demo pieces, there was none hanging on the walls, and I was shown a packed piece, which I asked to be unpacked so that I could see how it looks like. The same piece was delivered to me, as I had memorized a plastic wrapper's position.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:30   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me exactly where this place is on rajbhavan road? Need to go check asap. Err never mind... just saw the hyderabad thing .
Old 4th August 2008, 13:36   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've bargained and got a pv 8 for 60K! They've just installed the piece.
congrats , that was the price which was offered to me intially. did you pick it up from the somajiguda branch? if yes, that pv8 was actually gotten for me since i insisted for a brand new piece, and later cancelled my order since i still havent decided yet on which one to pick up.

btw this is the same place where i picked up a pv7 for my grandparents a couple of months back for 60k.

Last edited by aadix : 4th August 2008 at 13:37.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:45   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
congrats , that was the price which was offered to me intially. did you pick it up from the somajiguda branch? if yes, that pv8 was actually gotten for me since i insisted for a brand new piece, and later cancelled my order since i still havent decided yet on which one to pick up.

btw this is the same place where i picked up a pv7 for my grandparents a couple of months back for 60k.
Bingo, that is correct! I also went there on Friday night, and he had offerred to show me a packed piece that was due for customer delivery. I declined as I did not want to screw around with another customer's piece! When I went there on Sunday, he had another packed piece inside, and perhaps that was the one you had booked.

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th August 2008 at 13:48.
Old 5th August 2008, 23:43   #1331
BHPian

Hello everyone,I am interested in purchasing a 50"tv.I am more or less inclined towards Plasma because as they if its less than 40" it has to be LCD while if its more than 40'' its Plasma..

The viewing distance is 12ft.The TV would be watched about 5hrs daily on TataSky.I never watch DVD's only VCD's.Would be playing PS2 on weekends.

I have chosen this model Samsung PS50A550S1 .As per the brochure its a 50" Plasma with full HD,1920X1080 resolution.

But the dealer is not suggesting me to go for it as according to him Plasma's don't perfom well if there is good ventilation and there's quiet good ventilation in my room.He is suggestin me to buy the LG 47"Scarlet LCD or Sony Bravia 46" LCD.

I am in a huge fix now regarding the selection of the right TV.Kindly help.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:35   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bingo, that is correct! I also went there on Friday night, and he had offerred to show me a packed piece that was due for customer delivery. I declined as I did not want to screw around with another customer's piece! When I went there on Sunday, he had another packed piece inside, and perhaps that was the one you had booked.

both are the same pieces , they got it on friday afternoon,i didnt pick it up on that day cos thought will pick it up once the shravan month starts,then finally changed my mind. guess i"ll pick it up a pv80d cos of the c.a.t.s feature.

guys any suggestion wheter a 37" full hd lcd would be better than than the 42" panasonic?
Old 6th August 2008, 11:54   #1333
Senior - BHPian

@ aadix:
Quote:
guys any suggestion wheter a 37" full hd lcd would be better than than the 42" panasonic?
I am in same fix as yours.

Have narrowed down choices between 37" HD ready Panasonic LCD, 37" 5 series Full HD Samsung LCD Vs 42" PV7 or PV8 Panasonic Plasma.
All are in somewhat similar price range. I am leaning towards LCD due heavy weight & power consumption of plasma.

Picture quality is better in plasma but weight bothers me a bit. My TV cabinet is cantilevered one (choice of interior designer) & wall has decorative tiles. So don't want to put too much weight on cabinet/wall.

Would opt for 37" Samsung 5 series LCD if price is between 65-66k else opt for 37" HD ready Panasonic LCD.

Bad that Sony doesn't have 37" LCD in V or W series.

Last edited by sukiwa : 6th August 2008 at 11:56. Reason: corrected spellings
Old 6th August 2008, 12:44   #1334
Senior - BHPian

The Panasonic Plasma PV8D weighs 25.5 kgs, and the stand (if you do not want wall mounting) weighs another 2 kgs. The PV7 weighed 10 kgs more.
What is the weight of the LCD TVs?
Old 6th August 2008, 13:20   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
I have chosen this model Samsung PS50A550S1 .As per the brochure its a 50" Plasma with full HD,1920X1080 resolution.

But the dealer is not suggesting me to go for it as according to him Plasma's don't perfom well if there is good ventilation and there's quiet good ventilation in my room.He is suggestin me to buy the LG 47"Scarlet LCD or Sony Bravia 46" LCD.

I am in a huge fix now regarding the selection of the right TV.Kindly help.
The dealer does not know much, and may be having a vested interest in pushing what he has suggested. I bought a Pioneer Plasma 42 inch only last month, and trust me, the experience has been great. If you want a 50 inch, why not also try Panasonic or Pioneer. At around 1.1 lakhs, Samsung 50 plasma model quoted by you is a far better choice than buying a overpriced (in India) Sony LCD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks