Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 10:50   #8776
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The only gripe is it refuses to recognize my 1TB WD passport hard drive.
Weird. I use a 4 TB WD Passport HDD (this one) with my 50" Sony TV, and it works like a champ (it's connect directly to the TV with the USB cable that came with the drive). I forgot what I formatted it as (most likely NTFS), but the manual states "The USB ports on the TV support FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS file systems".
Old 12th October 2018, 13:11   #8777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Weird. I use a 4 TB WD Passport HDD (this one) with my 50" Sony TV, and it works like a champ (it's connect directly to the TV with the USB cable that came with the drive). I forgot what I formatted it as (most likely NTFS), but the manual states "The USB ports on the TV support FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS file systems".
The manual says the same for my TV too but still the drive isn't detected by TV when it works flawlessly on my Dell laptop. Any idea what to do with this issue?
Old 12th October 2018, 13:36   #8778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The manual says the same for my TV too but still the drive isn't detected by TV when it works flawlessly on my Dell laptop. Any idea what to do with this issue?
Have you used this drive as a bootable drive ever? I had recently used a 64 GB pen drive as a bootable drive to install Windows 10 and used it to watch a movie on the TV later but the TV wouldn't detect the files. Despite formatting it several times using various file systems.

Figured out later that this was a bootable drive. Changed it using a free utility called Rufus. Try it out. Just in case.
Old 12th October 2018, 13:40   #8779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK - so are you saying that if you go to Settings > Storage & Reset, the external drive isn't listed under Removable Storage?

Or does it show up there, but is not showing any contents through one of the apps?
Old 12th October 2018, 13:45   #8780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you used this drive as a bootable drive ever? I had recently used a 64 GB pen drive as a bootable drive to install Windows 10 and used it to watch a movie on the TV later but the TV wouldn't detect the files. Despite formatting it several times using various file systems.

Figured out later that this was a bootable drive. Changed it using a free utility called Rufus. Try it out. Just in case.
No, never used it as bootable drive. And it used to connect instantly with my Samsung Plasma. Only in this new one it's not getting detected in any of the USB ports.

Quote:
OK - so are you saying that if you go to Settings > Storage & Reset, the external drive isn't listed under Removable Storage?

Or does it show up there, but is not showing any contents through one of the apps?
Nope. Not showing there. Attaching pic for reference. Only 32 gb pen drive is showing.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20181012_134316.jpg  

Old 12th October 2018, 14:15   #8781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Not showing there. Attaching pic for reference. Only 32 gb pen drive is showing.
Have you tried connecting it without the pen drive also connected at the same time? It feels unlikely, but I wonder if the pen drive is taking away just enough power to prevent the HDD from spinning up.

Also, has the TV been rebooted? :-) It's a smart TV, so in a sense a computer, and we all know how periodic rebooting helps! Under Settings > About > Restart.

Quote:
Yes. Without pen drive. Booted many times. Done everything I could think of and still not working out.
OK, this is going to be a pain - but can you try reformatting the drive (after copying its contents elsewhere)? When formatting in Windows, click the 'Restore device defaults' button on the Format window, to get normal sector sizes, etc. That's probably the last thing I can think of.

Your drive is obviously working fine, given it worked previously, and still works on your laptop.
The drive is a modern one from WD, so it shouldn't have excessive power requirements (yes, older drives did require power from 2 USB ports). What's its model number, BTW?
I'd also be confident that the TV is supplying adequate power, simply because it is a modern and a high-end TV.

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th October 2018 at 14:44.
Old 12th October 2018, 14:27   #8782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried connecting it without the pen drive also connected at the same time? It feels unlikely, but I wonder if the pen drive is taking away just enough power to prevent the HDD from spinning up.

Also, has the TV been rebooted? :-) It's a smart TV, so in a sense a computer, and we all know how periodic rebooting helps! Under Settings > About > Restart.
Yes. Without pen drive. Booted many times. Done everything I could think of and still not working out.
Old 13th October 2018, 00:14   #8783
BHPian

Quote:
Convert GPT to MBR partition type - https://community.wd.com/t/wd-elemen...ed-tv/166517/2

Take backup of all data before doing this.
Old 13th October 2018, 11:16   #8784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Convert GPT to MBR partition type - https://community.wd.com/t/wd-elemen...ed-tv/166517/2

Take backup of all data before doing this.
It is already in MBR partition type.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:58   #8785
BHPian

Quote:
It is already in MBR partition type.
Try making two separate partitions on the hard drive one NTFS and other FAT32.
Backup the data before proceeding.
Use the Windows Disk Management utility on a PC, select the hard drive. Use the shrink option and select a size accordingly.
There will be two partitions visible in the WDM utility, one will be an unallocated partition.
Select the unallocated partition and format it with FAT32.
And you should have two different partitions on the same HDD.
Try connecting it again.
It should show the FAT32 partition.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2018 at 05:22. Reason: Removing the X360 bit. We do not permit any posts related to piracy. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2018, 17:29   #8786
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how my 2 yr old Vu tv looks. There are problems with sound too. I am thinking of disposing it and getting something else.

Any recommendations for good 42-43 inchers? It will play SD set-top box content 90% of the time. So I am not too inclined to get a 4k or even smart tv.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20181013_17214402.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20181013_17072401.jpeg
Old 13th October 2018, 17:42   #8787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Try making two separate partitions on the hard drive one NTFS and other FAT32.
Backup the data before proceeding.
Use the Windows Disk Management utility on a PC, select the hard drive. Use the shrink option and select a size accordingly.
There will be two partitions visible in the WDM utility, one will be an unallocated partition.
Select the unallocated partition and format it with FAT32.
And you should have two different partitions on the same HDD.
Try connecting it again.
It should show the FAT32 partition.
Done.
It's still not recognizing the hard drive.
Seems there isn't any solution left to this weird issue.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2018 at 05:23. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 14th October 2018, 02:23   #8788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This is how my 2 yr old Vu tv looks. There are problems with sound too. I am thinking of disposing it and getting something else.
Hey dryice! I just ordered a 55 inch Vu television from flipkart. Would love to know your feedback on the brand and would you recommend buying it or should I go ahead and cancel it. I have only used Sony and Samsung LED and LCDs till now hence have little experience with these new manufacturers. My Bravia LED concked off in 5 years while 2 Samsungs a 40 inch and another 49 inch are working just fine. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger 4k display hence ordered the Vu. Would love to know the opinion of the community on Vu and other competing brands and which one should I go for. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:51   #8789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Hey dryice! I just ordered a 55 inch Vu television from flipkart. Would love to know your feedback on the brand and would you recommend buying it or should I go ahead and cancel it. I have only used Sony and Samsung LED and LCDs till now hence have little experience with these new manufacturers. My Bravia LED concked off in 5 years while 2 Samsungs a 40 inch and another 49 inch are working just fine. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger 4k display hence ordered the Vu. Would love to know the opinion of the community on Vu and other competing brands and which one should I go for. Thanks in advance.
I have had two Vu TVs in the past five years. The first was a 48 inch one which I used for 3 years without any issues. Now I have been using a 60 inch Vu for the past 3 years. It has great picture quality and performs perfectly. I have often compared its picture quality with other brands and it is quite comparable.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:16   #8790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's still not recognizing the hard drive. Seems there isn't any solution left to this weird issue.
Do you know someone you can borrow another portable HDD from? It would seem worthwhile confirming that other HDDs work in your TV. Pen drives are solid state, so their power consumption is orders of magnitude lower than a mechanical HDD.

If the other HDD works, then you might be looking at a HDD replacement. :-(

Most Viewed