Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 12:24   #10276
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Guys I am on the hunt for a new TV and the only requirement I have is that it be from Panasonic. We still have an old 2010 Panasonic Plasma TV at home that runs without any hiccups. The brand's presence is no longer the same in the market and I am struggling to find any Panasonic televisions in showrooms like Croma, Reliance Digital etc. I know many might suggest that I ditch the requirement about the TV being from Panasonic but over the years I have observed that no matter how good a TV seems on paper and whatever its specs may indicate, the colour calibration on Panasonic TVs always lends itself to a better image atleast I find watching films on a Panasonic TV to be a far less artificial viewing experience when compared to Bravia, LG, Samsung etc. All that said, can someone please point out where I might be able to sample the latest from the brand and buy?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st March 2023 at 12:32.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:57   #10277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
All that said, can someone please point out where I might be able to sample the latest from the brand and buy?
I bought my Panasonic LED TV from Reliance Digital some 6 years ago, surprised they don't sell them anymore.
Check the nearest Panasonic dealer here: https://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/where-to-buy.html
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 13:17   #10278
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic has a Brand Store in Koramangala
Quote:
Guys I am on the hunt for a new TV and the only requirement I have is that it be from Panasonic.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:27   #10279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I am on the hunt for a new TV and the only requirement I have is that it be from Panasonic. We still have an old 2010 Panasonic Plasma TV at home that runs without any hiccups.

Thanks in advance.
I also have a 2009 Panasonic Plasma 40 inch TV which runs without any issues. I can relate to your post. I find the picture quality of Panasonic plasma to be natural compared to the new generation TVs. I want to upgrade to a bigger TV in next couple of years, but want to go for the same natural viewing experience. Please keep us updated on what you find as a worthy successor. All the best.

Panasonic was easily available when I bought the TV long back based on the recommendations in this thread. Sad to see that it is no longer the case. You may check the Panasonic brand store in Kormangala as someone suggested.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 14:35   #10280
Senior - BHPian

Just a question. If the Panasonic Plasma is available today, do you think anyone would buy it? Given its thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I also have a 2009 Panasonic Plasma 40 inch TV which runs without any issues.
Old 21st March 2023, 14:40   #10281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just a question. If the Panasonic Plasma is available today, do you think anyone would buy it? Given its thickness.
I would not buy it because of the following reasons:

1. Old technology. So after sales service with finding parts will be an issue in the future as it becomes obsolete. I made the same mistake by buying a high end CRT when CRT was at the fag end getting replaced with LCD/ plasma and ended up with a dud soon. Had to dispose the TV and got the current plasma TV.

2. Thicker frames to hold the thick plasma, which would increase the size as I want to upgrade to a bigger size. If plasmas come up with thin frames and less thickness as the current LEDs, thickness as such is not an issue for me. In bedrooms, we have thin LCD/ LED TVs with limited space.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st March 2023 at 14:45.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:23   #10282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I bought my Panasonic LED TV from Reliance Digital some 6 years ago, surprised they don't sell them anymore.
Check the nearest Panasonic dealer here: https://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/where-to-buy.html
Yes infact there was only one entry level Panasonic tv on display in the local reliance digital shop and even though there was a section of the wall marked with Panasonic branding in the local Bajaj Electronics store, it was filled with TVs from other popular brands.

Thanks for the link shall check out their dealer list

Quote:
Panasonic has a Brand Store in Koramangala
Thanks but the requirement is for my home in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I also have a 2009 Panasonic Plasma 40 inch TV which runs without any issues. I can relate to your post. I find the picture quality of Panasonic plasma to be natural compared to the new generation TVs.
Will definitely keep the thread updated. In my experience some high-end Sony Bravias come close but really nothing as cinema-like or natural looking as you put it, as the Panasonic.
Quote:
In a heartbeat yes I would. My TV was from the last generation of Plasmas and has held up really well till now no burn-in issues or dead pixels or anything of the sort. I do not care about thickness with televisions but unfortunately the market seems to think the exact opposite as me; everyone wants thin and sleek TVs and fat leprous phones

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st March 2023 at 16:28.
Old 26th March 2023, 22:52   #10283
Senior - BHPian

Update on the hunt for a Panasonic TV in 2023:

Website lists their latest launch as the LZ950 OLED series in 55 and 65inch form. Checked out their locate dealer feature on the website and all listed dealers on the website in Hyderabad, no longer exist. Digital Shoppy god knows when it went out of business, Tirumala Music Center or TMC has been bought by Vijay sales and their buildings are chained shut and empty. Literally the first 5 numbers for dealers in Hyderabad listed on their website are no longer in service. So I called their customer care, which gave me some random number to contact after contacting the number provided by Panasonic India customer care, the call was cut and then I got a call back after a while (wonder which business this is now) the guy on the other end said that they do not have any Panasonic OLEDs and instead tried selling me an LG C2 or a Sony A80K I told him I wanted only Panasonic and he said he'd let me know if and when it is available. So basically a customer interested in buying their flagship product listed at over 3 lacs for the 65inch model, is being turned down.

On the bright side, the Koramangala store that was mentioned in Bangalore seemed to have a very chirpy man on the other end of the phone who said they have everything available on display and that I could come check it out anytime (perhaps there are more discerning consumers in Bangalore?) so a trip to Bangalore is due now.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th March 2023 at 22:54.
Old 27th March 2023, 14:37   #10284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there no Panasonic Brand shop in Hyderabad (like the one in Koramangala, B'lore)?
Old 27th March 2023, 15:00   #10285
BHPian

Quote:
Do you really want a TV which could become a problem to service at a future date?
Old 27th March 2023, 15:28   #10286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Is there no Panasonic Brand shop in Hyderabad (like the one in Koramangala, B'lore)?
Nope nothing and if I google Panasonic dealers in Hyderabad they all try having me buy the LG C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Do you really want a TV which could become a problem to service at a future date?
Well fortunately I have never had to have any TV serviced as such so I am not too concerned about that. If there were any other brand that matched the near black levels of detail and color reproduction of the Panasonic then I would definitely consider it however everything else just looks so over processed and artificial for my taste that I cannot justify spending big bucks on them. Just out of curiosity what exactly on a TV might require servicing?
Old 27th March 2023, 16:02   #10287
BHPian

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what exactly on a TV might require servicing?
I have had a TV die on me in the warranty period so am a bit cautious. Other than that replacement of a broken remote.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 16:15   #10288
BHPian

Quote:
Nope nothing and if I google Panasonic dealers in Hyderabad they all try having me buy the LG C2
To echo SedateGuy, I would suggest staying away from Panasonic. This coming from a GX800 (2019 model) owner. I get what you say about the blacks and natural colours - the prison vehicle chase scene from The Dark Knight (2008) being the ultimate example. On my GX800, the blacks just pop, and skin tones are as real as they can get on an IPS LED panel.

But over the last couple of years I don’t see Panasonic models on display at any of the big retailers. And the ones available on Flipkart, they just seem to be name branded low-rent Chinese manufactured panels (no offense!).

Better to stay with LG or Sony, with Samsung the images are too artificial.

Also service requirements can genuinely come up, and I have a hunch Panasonic might just throw their hands up.

Last edited by Pequod : 27th March 2023 at 16:16.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:32   #10289
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, looking to buy a 43-55" LED TV to be installed in a bright area with full-length windows. Not planning to put blackout curtains either as it already has cellular blinds which I don't want to disturb.

Any suggestions please? Budget less than 60K.
Old 28th March 2023, 12:02   #10290
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Folks, looking to buy a 43-55" LED TV to be installed in a bright area with full-length windows. Not planning to put blackout curtains either as it already has cellular blinds which I don't want to disturb.

Any suggestions please? Budget less than 60K.
I would suggest an IPS panel for a bright room. The Sony X74K 55 inch. The Sony also comes with Google OS which is a bonus. You can also check out the equivalent LG. You would save close to 10k on the LG but a Sony is a Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You can find Samsung and LG 55 inchers for about 50k. Might turn out to be the perfect middle ground.

So basically you may end up not owning the Rolls Royce of the TVs but with a Samsung or LG, you will definitely be owning a BMW equivalent of the Television world.

P.S. Apologies for the cheesy post The last few posts got me in the mood.

Last edited by AYP : 28th March 2023 at 12:03.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed