Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2022, 15:38   #10231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
^^ Besides humidity and condensation, a lot of failure of sensitive electronics appear to happen due poor quality power supply. It is a good idea to have a spike, surge, and voltage protector. There are plugs available online for the purpose. They should be quicker to react to power supply changes than poorly made ppwer strips and also take care of voltage fluctuation. Voltage stabalizers aren't quick enough. As a safeguard, they would disconnect power when needed for a few seconds after an event.

Recommended.
Could you please give us some examples of said plugs and which ones to get?
Old 6th November 2022, 16:05   #10232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please give us some examples of said plugs and which ones to get?
Just checked and the one I've been using for years isn't available anymore.

Amazon name: Count On 10 A, 220 W Voltage Protector Smart Plug for TV, Desktop Computer, Gaming Console, Router, Aquarium
Link: https://amzn.eu/d/fn6JSq3

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-protector-plug-recommended.jpg

Looked around a bit, and didn't see a good enough replacement as the above has a digital readout (voltage, timer, delay settings etc) and has aspects one could customise.

We often get higher than expected voltage at our place, especially in winters when the load on the grid reduces, so I was able to set this to a workable upper voltage limit - not too high that it doesn't offer protection, nor too low that it trips a few times in an evening.

Could see a poor replacement:

Amazon name: PROPLUG High/Low Voltage Protector Rated @ 15Amp with Surge Protection Plug
Link: https://amzn.eu/d/2Ug1lP8

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-protector-plug-poor-substitute.jpg

Might take long to find a suitable replacement. In case anyone comes across one similar to the first one, please do share the details.

Last edited by Poitive : 6th November 2022 at 16:06. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 20:18   #10233
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony A95K vs LG G2

Quote:
Kindly please as I would like to participate in this group buy for under 1.7L for the 65G2! It is pretty good value then!

I will also DM you now.

Many many thanks
Can I ask how this group buy went? Was it a smooth experience? Do they provide normal warranty just like with individual retail buying?
Old 6th November 2022, 20:58   #10234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Can I ask how this group buy went? Was it a smooth experience? Do they provide normal warranty just like with individual retail buying?
Yes it went well. Experience was great. I did the entire thing sitting remote and did not even see the TV. Everything was over phone and WhatsApp.

All terms and conditions are the same. We just did a bulk deal with a retailer.

Pretty relieved actually lol!
Old 6th November 2022, 23:54   #10235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

I've got this for 2.45L after the cashback. If I close the EMI/loan earlier, let me see if it fetches me further discounts on interest that I save!!
I'm part of couple groups who are planning to execute a group buy. We have brought the 65G2 all the way down under 1.7L Please message me if you want to get that as part of that group, you can get B2/G2 the size you want as part of that deal, at least see what's the quote for the model/size you are looking at.
Quote:
Yes it went well. Experience was great. I did the entire thing sitting remote and did not even see the TV. Everything was over phone and WhatsApp.

All terms and conditions are the same. We just did a bulk deal with a retailer.

Pretty relieved actually lol!

Well that's great to know!

Please let me know if you guys are planning on purchasing an equivalent speaker setup to go with the TV. I need to upgrade my existing Onkyo setup and I would like to try out this group purchase thing.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 11:32   #10236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Hi All, I use a Sony 55-inch 4K TV (KD-55X7002F). Purchased in Nov/Dec 2018 for approx. INR 85K. Now 4 years old.
Suddenly the display was not working. I got the red light blinking - 6 times.

Kindly advise on the following
1. Is it worth servicing/repairing the TV?
2. If yes, is the cost of replacing and servicing correct/justified?
3. Is the quality of TVs in India even after spending such a high cost? Is there a better option that comes more reliable and long-lasting even if it is a bit expensive?

I appreciate your suggestions, advises, and recommendations. Thank you.
Repairing display in modern TV is not really worth it. Add to that the price quoted is quite high. In my opinion it is best to accept it and sell off the TV. With festive season still on a new 55"4K from Samsung or LG should be around 75K or less after all the discounts and schemes are considered.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:06   #10237
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a good value-for-money 4k TV for my home. Requirements are simply HDMI port, as we have a fire stick, we will stick to it.

Our HD Ready Plasma TV won't turn on, though the red led appears on the bottom right. When I try to turn it on, the led goes away for a few seconds and returns. Nothing on the screen.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:50   #10238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I am looking to buy a 43 inch LED 4K ultra HD TV. QLED is out of budget. Anywhere around 43 inch is fine, I don't want it bigger than that as if hinders experience when watching non HD video.
After a lot of research (from reading and watching videos) and discussing with an expert friend and a sales guy who seemed to have a lot of knowledge, I gathered the differences between LED, mini LED and OLED, and the difference between VA and IPS panel, and the difference between center lit, edge lit and full array back light tech, and what local dimming meant and how it influenced contrast.

OLED was out of budget and it has the burn in issues. If buying a mini LED tv, full array made more sense. Samsung has the Neo QLED series that had mini LED and full array back light in 55 inch, but Samsung only had VA panel. LG's full array mini LED had IPS panel but they start at 65 inch and it was out of budget. LG's 55 inch entry model with mini LED cost around 65k Rs, but it was edge lit. I almost decided to purchase this. Then, I thought I would buy a mini LED tv when the tech matures and becomes more affordable, and all features are available in 50 or 55 inch tv.

So, in conclusion, mini LED would make sense if the required tv size is big and budget is high. So, I bought a 43 inch 4K UHD LED tv from LG (which had IPS panel) at Rs ~35k (after discounts and cash backs) and saved quite a lot. This one is edge lit (entry models in LG Mini LED are also edge lit), and the local dimming feature is absent and I think I can live with it.

Did not buy Samsung as it had VA panels. Since my purchase was at a Vasanth & co store, I could confirm that the model was a 2022 one.

Last edited by Benoit : 7th November 2022 at 14:59.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 17:35   #10239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Even after such expensive repairs I suppose you will get only 3 months warranty on only the parts replaced. You will be exposed to the risk of other parts failing.
My call would be to replace it with a new TV.
BTW I had the misfortune of suffering such multiple failures of several 'Made in Japan' Panasonic & Hitachi TVs. Not a single TV lasted 3 year.
And then I bought a cheap Infocus TV which was working after 3 years and then I exchanged it with a TCL TV and also bought an Iffalcon TV. Both these TVs are also working fine after 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Repairing display in modern TV is not really worth it. Add to that the price quoted is quite high. In my opinion it is best to accept it and sell off the TV. With festive season still on a new 55"4K from Samsung or LG should be around 75K or less after all the discounts and schemes are considered.
What is your recommendation for replacement with a medium cost? Not as expensive as an OLED/QLED, etc, or not as cheap as a Vu/Hisense/others - Preferably from brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, etc where after-sales support is good. In fact, Sony's after-sales support is good.
Old 7th November 2022, 17:43   #10240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is your recommendation for replacement with a medium cost? Not as expensive as an OLED/QLED, etc, or not as cheap as a Vu/Hisense/others - Preferably from brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, etc where after-sales support is good. In fact, Sony's after-sales support is good.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...tv-thread.html (The Budget / Frugal TV thread)
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 17:59   #10241
BHPian

Quote:
After 15 years of experience of owning several big screen TVs and seeing failures of these TVs, following is my take.
Modern TVs has fewer but complicated boards. Like power board, display board etc.
Now whenever a TV malfunctions there is only one successful solution i.e. to replace the faulty board(repairing of boards is not successful and often is done very shadily). This replacement usually costs from one third to one-half of the original purchase price of the TV set and often unscrupulous technicians use old boards scavenged from older TVs.
But the problem is that TV is a very fast depreciating asset and so it does not make sense to repair these TVs.
My whole point is to not run after-sales support as such support after 3 years of purchase is useless in my opinion.
Instead you can do what I do and buy from mass manufacturers like TCL, Hi-sense etc. I think their durability will be same as that of premium brands though they will be lacking in break-through features.
neeraj0272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 06:27   #10242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Have recently purchased the OnePlus TV 65" to replace the aging Panasonic Viera 55" as the primary TV.
How is it holding up? My TCL is out after the replacement of the replacement TV also gave up.
Old 8th November 2022, 07:11   #10243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Go for OnePlus, you can't go wrong with quality
You may not have needed after service till now, but any reports on how their Service is? Do they attend to complaints promptly (like say Samsung)?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 09:24   #10244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I use a Sony 55-inch 4K TV (KD-55X7002F). Purchased in Nov/Dec 2018 for approx. INR 85K. Now 4 years old.
Suddenly the display was not working. I got the red light blinking - 6 times.

1. I called up Sony service. The technician visited my place and opened the TV and said the backlight panel is gone. His solution was to replace the entire panel which will cost around 32K approx (or) exchange this TV for a new Sony TV.
2. I also called for a third-party technician. He visited and gave the same problem. The backlight panel is gone. He advised changing the entire backlight panel only which will cost around 20-25K.

Kindly advise on the following
1. Is it worth servicing/repairing the TV?
2. If yes, is the cost of replacing and servicing correct/justified?
3. Is the quality of TVs in India even after spending such a high cost? Is there a better option that comes more reliable and long-lasting even if it is a bit expensive?

I appreciate your suggestions, advises, and recommendations. Thank you.
I too have the same issue and called urban Company. Mechanic has come and assessed the TV and as expected, it's backlight panel issue which needs to be changed and cost is a max 15K. Panel will be from Sony OEM and has to be ordered and replaced and a year warranty will be provided.
As my TV is of almost 10 years W850 series 55 inches and bought around 1.6L. so 15K is a profitable investment, instead going for new TV, to give second life to beloved TV.
So i have asked him to take it their place to fix it. seems it takes 2-3 days to procure OEM panel.
Wait starts and believe, it turns to be good and some more years without issues.
aks_karthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 15:56   #10245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I too have the same issue and called urban Company. Mechanic has come and assessed the TV and as expected, it's backlight panel issue which needs to be changed and cost is a max 15K. Panel will be from Sony OEM and has to be ordered and replaced and a year warranty will be provided.
As my TV is of almost 10 years W850 series 55 inches and bought around 1.6L. so 15K is a profitable investment, instead going for new TV, to give second life to beloved TV.
So i have asked him to take it their place to fix it. seems it takes 2-3 days to procure OEM panel.
Wait starts and believe, it turns to be good and some more years without issues.
I have done the same thing. Urban company is the third party that I mentioned already. They will take the TV today. Since it is Sony and the latest model (compared to yours), 20K is the final price that I got. I am getting a 1-year warranty both in the Urban company as well as direct Sony.

I am planning to add the surge protector to the already existing stabilizer. Fingers crossed to continue a few more years with the existing TV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks