Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 07:11   #10306
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the current opinion on buying a Smart TV? When I bought a TV last, I purchased a non-Smart TV & used Chromecast to make it smart. My reasoning back then was if the TV had inbuilt smartness, it would eventually become obsolete because the TV company would stop updating the software in a few years since it would be an old model by then. So may be I would be able to access the playstore etc to update some app or download the new app etc.

So is this a valid concern? How is this handled?
I used to be of this thought process as well. A powerful fire tv stick after a few years of purchasing the TV can put to shame the most advanced smart TV. But, the problem today is that the best TV in terms of picture quality also might give you the best smart TV experience as well. So that decoupling doesn't seem to be possible today.

Quote:
What is the best kind of smart TV to buy? One with Android or something with a proprietary OS or what?
My recommendation in today's market - Google TV by Sony followed by Android TV by other manufacturers.

Web OS by LG is also very interesting option. Try it out. You might love it or hate it. Be mindful that it might not be as user friendly for older people.

Having said that, I'll recommend not to worry about the smart tv experience. Give priority to picture quality, eye strain, screen reflection, brightness, Dolby vision, hdr 10+ support, Atmos support, voice clarity etc. When you select a good display, you'll invariably get a decent software experience. Even if it goes outdated after a few years, just buy the latest and most powerful firetv and you are sorted.

Last edited by amalji : 25th April 2023 at 07:13.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:18   #10307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
My recommendation in today's market - Google TV by Sony followed by Android TV by other manufacturers.
Why are these better? And what about Samsung?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

just buy the latest and most powerful firetv and you are sorted.
Is firetv better than Chromecast in any way? I have had a Chromecast dongle which has lasted for 5+ years, I think (I don't use it that much though).
Old 25th April 2023, 11:14   #10308
BHPian

Quote:
Why are these better? And what about Samsung?
Is firetv better than Chromecast in any way? I have had a Chromecast dongle which has lasted for 5+ years, I think (I don't use it that much though).
My observations on the three brands being used in my family circles

Sony - expensive at any price range by 10-20%, android interface is good, colours natural but dull for most use cases, durable by atleast 10 % extra than samsung(lasts 1 year more than a samsung which conks of after 5-6 year average)

Samsung - wider range, Tizen OS/ UI is average not snappy like android, brighter colours viewing angles etc.,

LG - no experience with low to mid range. Higher ranges like oled/qled etc good interface and picture quality.

My usual thumb rule if usage is high like more than 6-8 hours per day then go for Sony in low and mid range. High range choose LG or Samsung and subscribe for amc or insurance to cover potential repairs. All other cases Samsung fits the bill.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:02   #10309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
(lasts 1 year more than a samsung which conks of after 5-6 year average)
My current LG LED started giving problems after 3-4 years & lots of problems.
OTOH, the earlier LG CRT which my parents had lasted for 10+ years without problems. Are there no LED TVs which last for 10 years?

I was considering Sony but it doesn't seem worthwhile paying extra for just a year more?

What about One Plus - the price seems almost the same as Samsung, so I am guessing it's better to go with Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Samsung - wider range, Tizen OS/ UI is average not snappy like android, brighter colours viewing angles etc.,
Chromecast etc can be used with this if needed, right?

Last edited by carboy : 25th April 2023 at 13:03.
Old 27th April 2023, 10:48   #10310
Distinguished - BHPian

Need recommendations.

Planning to replace our 9 year old Samsung 40" LED tv after it started developing white spots on the screen. Would love to upgrade to a 55" tv this time and would want to keep the cost below 45k.

1. Saw Sony 43" for 43k - I know the picture and sound quality will be awesome but seeing a lot of options online which adds to the confusion.

2. No Samsung/LG as I would live Android/Google TV. Though I use Amazon Firestick, I would prefer stock Android OS if possible.

3. Prime usage will be OTT viewing at 1080p and will be using inbuilt TV speakers. Would 4k tv's compromise on upscaling 1080 videos?

4. How is VU GloLED series, Toshiba or Blaupunkt Cybersound? Acer and Kodak offers really good deals but highly reluctant.

After a quick research, my preference would be:
1) Sony 43" for 43k
2) VU GloLED 55" for 38k (Good speaker on paper).

Any suggestions?
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:05   #10311
Senior - BHPian

I will be relocating soon within BLR and hence would need help in TV Wall Mounting Services. The Movers and Packers said they will only uninstall but won't install post shifting the TV to new location. Any recommendations in Bengaluru?

Also, would it be worthwhile to invest in a TV Stand with flexibility to move / tilt ? Currently it is hard to access the rear HDMI and optical ports once the TV is wall mounted.

Was looking at something like this: (TV Size is 65 inches)

Gadget Wagon 40-80" P6 LED TV Wall Mount Stand Bracket, Heavy Duty Full Motion VESA 600X400 mm - Link

Name:  TVStand.png
Views: 329
Size:  216.5 KB

Are these cheaper to buy offline? Please suggest offline options if any in Bengaluru.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 2nd May 2023 at 23:07.
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:56   #10312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I will be relocating soon within BLR and hence would need help in TV Wall Mounting Services. The Movers and Packers said they will only uninstall but won't install post shifting the TV to new location. Any recommendations in Bengaluru?
Urban Company so far has been pretty reliable especially for small jobs which cost under a few thousand rupees.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:24   #10313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Are these cheaper to buy offline? Please suggest offline options if any in Bengaluru.
The offline option that I have used is a shop that was practically only selling wall-mount and associated equipment near S.P. Road. It was slightly inside from the main computer components road (where Arihant Electronics is located). Btw, I had bought it from there close to a decade ago and after that I have only used Amazon ones like the one you have shared.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 20:44   #10314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My current LG LED started giving problems after 3-4 years & lots of problems.
OTOH, the earlier LG CRT which my parents had lasted for 10+ years without problems. Are there no LED TVs which last for 10 years?
I've got a Sony 55" that is 10YO now. It was the flagship model when I got it 10y ago. I guess the high end/flagship models have got good build quality and one can expect it to last longer. This one still serving in the common area just fine while a LG C8 I got in 2019 I've lost last year due to the panel failure, guess the fault was mine while I shifted homes and may not have taken enough care. However, the old Sony was also transported the same way, right under this LGC8, both in its original box packed. LGC8 gave up due to the very thin panel and build quality I guess.

With that experience, I have now got Sony A95K65 QD-OLED to replace my LGOLED and used for UHD/HDR shows while 10YO Sony FALD is still rocking all HD and occasional 3D content that we play in living area.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 20:37   #10315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

4. How is VU GloLED series, Toshiba or Blaupunkt Cybersound? Acer and Kodak offers really good deals but highly reluctant.

After a quick research, my preference would be:
1) Sony 43" for 43k
2) VU GloLED 55" for 38k (Good speaker on paper).

Any suggestions?
Avoid Toshiba, Blaupunkt or Kodak. All 3 are just old brand names being used by some assembler. VU has good reputation and would be my pick amongst all your options. I would pick the VU over Sony because of much bigger screen, better speakers and lower cost. In terms of quality or durability I don't think any company is really doing something tangibly different including Sony.
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:00   #10316
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
VU has good reputation and would be my pick amongst all your options. I would pick the VU over Sony because of much bigger screen, better speakers and lower cost. In terms of quality or durability I don't think any company is really doing something tangibly different including Sony.
How good is VU customer service for repairs (warranty & otherwise) etc?

Also here I see a really cheap VU 43" TV for under 21,000 including 3 years warranty. An idea how is the quality of picture/sound etc on this TV?

Considering a 40,000 TV lasts for 5-6 years at best, I am wondering if a 21K TV with a 3 year warranty is a better bet
Old 5th May 2023, 11:23   #10317
BHPian

Quote:

Also here I see a really cheap VU 43" TV for under 21,000 including 3 years warranty. An idea how is the quality of picture/sound etc on this TV?
I didn't have to use service, but I have a VU TV bought in 2019 and still working fine(was lying unused for almost 2.5 years because of covid) and I find the picture and sound quality better in VU when compared to similar brands like MI.

Quote:
Considering a 40,000 TV lasts for 5-6 years at best, I am wondering if a 21K TV with a 3 year warranty is a better bet
+1
I'm sure there will be perceivable difference when compared to a premium Sony/LG/Samsung, but with the way current electronics are lasting, its always a safe bet to go with mid range brands than spending a fortune on premium brands. Most, if not all premium products now a days are premium only for namesake and not much difference in actual quality.
Old 5th May 2023, 11:39   #10318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I saw VU 55" in person last weekend. It looked fine but the picture quality was definitely better on Sony/LG/Samsung. The sales guy didn't recommend VU for OTT content too (he might be associated with premium brands and tried to pursue me from VU). Am totally confused now. I doubt whether the 55" inch will upscale HD content properly.

My Samsung worked fine for 5-6 years after which the LED spot issue started appearing.
Old 5th May 2023, 12:28   #10319
BANNED

Quote:
I saw VU 55" in person last weekend. It looked fine but the picture quality was definitely better on Sony/LG/Samsung.
Comparing it in multibrand showrooms isn't that helpful. The sales guys adjust settings of different TVs so they can move you towards the brand/model they want to sell you.

Quote:

My Samsung worked fine for 5-6 years after which the LED spot issue started appearing.
With my LG, I have paid for changing the backlights twice in 6 years & also have 2 big vertical lines on the TV.

Last edited by carboy : 5th May 2023 at 12:29.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:01   #10320
BHPian

After using 40'' Sony led 3D tv for 7 years, changed to 55''LG C2 OLED tv.
Got blown away by seeing the picture quality of OLED panels when we went to the shop. I felt LGs panels were much crispier than the SONY ones.

Anyway, i feel the money well spent, the quality of images and contents are truly mind blowing.

Cheers
Joe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks