Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2024, 15:23   #10411
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Folks, please recommend me a TV!

Budget: 1L
Size: 65 inch - Happy to settle for an older model and from a budget brand (warranty support is a must). Agnostic to tech/features as long as the movie looks half-decent.

Thanks!
I got a 55 inch Sony X80K last year for around 72-75k
So do check out the X80 series, it should fit in your budget and suit your requirements. Extended warranty is also offered.
Eco_boost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 13:58   #10412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
My 3 year old Sony TV has a problem of picture fading out every so often. The Sony technician came and replaced the T-Con board but the issue persists so has diagnosed a full screen replacement at 31k! I do not have extended warranty.

It is just 3 years old and so no way am I going to shell out approx 40% of what I paid for it to repair the screen. It is unacceptable to me that the screen should fail within just 3 years.

Does anyone have a contact for a higher up in Sony that I could speak to about this? Any phone or email would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Unfortunately not been able to get my 3 year old Sony TV fixed without having to cough up 31k for repair. I don't see the point in doing this so am now looking at getting a replacement.

Any thoughts on decent 55-65 inch TV's around a 60k budget? Has anyone bought the Samsung Series 8 "Dynamic Crystal" LED TV? Not sure what the difference is between the CU8000 and CU8750, but the CU8750 is available on Amazon for 64k after all discounts. Is this model any good? Listed on Samsung's website for ₹101,990 so wondering if this is a good deal?

65" CU8570 Crystal 4K UHD Smart TV

Any other suggestions?
Old 18th January 2024, 00:08   #10413
BHPian

Hello, i am looking for a 43 inch Tv for my bedroom and it will be used almost everyday for 3-4 hours for music and YT/OTT. I have read some horror stories regarding the Big Three’s of the TV world. I have a LG OLED 55’’ 2017 Tv for the living room and it has some noticeable burnins on almost 30% of the screen. So never going the OLED way again the blacks are not worth the burns. I am planning on getting either a Samsung crystal UHD since someone suggested it here or the TCL UHD since both are around 23k now on Amazon. What do you recommend? Is there any other model/brand i should be looking for ?
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:12   #10414
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to finally discard my two Samsung CRT TVs and go for LED TVs. I have waited and waited for them to give up the ghost but it never seems to happen. Both are 20 years old now.

A friend who has been running a Tv service centre for over three decades says to buy Haier/TCL/Xiaomi/Panasonic brands and preferably no more than 32" size screen. Says TVs up to that size have the least amount of problems, and the larger the screen gets, the probability of problems too increase. Says not to spend more money for big brands, these brands will be equally good. I am a bit confused, I have always been a brand buyer for any product.

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd January 2024 at 22:38.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:25   #10415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
preferably no more than 32" size screen.
This is 2024. I'd have considered 32 inch size 10 years ago. Once you go big screen, there is no going back. Currently use 65 inch.

If you are concerned about longevity, then go for extended warranty. Also, tech changes every few years. You yourself wouldn't want the next TV set to last another 2 decades.

As for brands, if you have budget, do go for Sony/Sammy/LG else even the Vu/Hisense are decent enough.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:58   #10416
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to finally discard my two Samsung CRT TVs and go for LED TVs. I have waited and waited for them to give up the ghost but it never seems to happen. Both are 20 years old now.

A friend who has been running a Tv service centre for over three decades says to buy Haier/TCL/Xiaomi/Panasonic brands and preferably no more than 32" size screen. Says TVs up to that size have the least amount of problems, and the larger the screen gets, the probability of problems too increase. Says not to spend more money for big brands, these brands will be equally good. I am a bit confused, I have always been a brand buyer for any product.
Your friend is partly correct. Brand won't matter much since most of the parts are made by same OEMs and it is only marketing that differs for smaller TV sizes. Pick a 40 inch as the price difference between a 32 and a 40 inch will be very marginal but the experience will be better with the larger size.

For experiment, you can pick two different brands and see how it goes, if you are still leaning towards branded ones.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 02:22   #10417
BANNED

Quote:

A friend who has been running a Tv service centre for over three decades says to buy Haier/TCL/Xiaomi/Panasonic brands and preferably no more than 32" size screen.
I have said this many times in the last few pages about the brands (but not about the size). All LED TVs start giving problems after 3-4 years irrespective of the brand. So no point paying premium for Sony, Samsung, LG. My personal experience was with LG but if you scroll through last 10 pages, you will find similar stories about the other 2 also. Best is to buy a cheap TV & replace it after 3-4 years when it starts giving problems. I am temporarily doing an experiment without a TV but if & when I buy one again, I had narrowed down on VU because in these pages itself you will see maximum people reporting that they are happy with the quality & service.

About size, it may be true that 32" doesn't give probs but it's difficult to go for that size after being used to bigger sizes.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 07:38   #10418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Folks, please recommend me a TV!

Budget: 1L
Size: 65 inch (can't fit bigger and don't want smaller)
Need minimum 5yr warranty (paid if required) from a company that will honour.
Usage will be very basic, occasional movie watching (max 2-4 hrs of usage per week). Happy to settle for an older model and from a budget brand (warranty support is a must). Agnostic to tech/features as long as the movie looks half-decent.

Thanks!
Just checked out Sony x82L 65” a couple of days back. Reliance digital gave me a quote of 95K (they matched the current lowest price online) on top of that, there was an additional 6k offer on Kotak CC EMI.

They will push for x95L for about 50k more with Micro Led. If you don’t want to cross your budget, don’t even ask them to Demo it for you. That TV is amazing.

creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:05   #10419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Just checked out Sony x82L 65” a couple of days back. Reliance digital gave me a quote of 95K (they matched the current lowest price online) on top of that, there was an additional 6k offer on Kotak CC EMI.

They will push for x95L for about 50k more with Micro Led. If you don’t want to cross your budget, don’t even ask them to Demo it for you. That TV is amazing.

Are you sure it’s x95L? I don’t think it’s marginally more expensive
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:06   #10420
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
It's Mini-Led. Micro Leds are exponentially more expensive and so not even mainstream yet.
Old 26th January 2024, 16:43   #10421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
This is 2024. I'd have considered 32 inch size 10 years ago. Once you go big screen, there is no going back. Currently use 65 inch.
I will be moving up from a 21" CRT, so it will be more like an upgrade! Even branded 32" ones are available much below 20k. I am inclined to spend as little as possible because for the past few years I don't watch Tv much, it is sporadic. The Tv will be idle a lot of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Pick a 40 inch as the price difference between a 32 and a 40 inch will be very marginal but the experience will be better with the larger size.

I am open to 43" as well, my maximum budget is 30k for one Tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
All LED TVs start giving problems after 3-4 years irrespective of the brand. About size, it may be true that 32" doesn't give probs but it's difficult to go for that size after being used to bigger sizes.
The CRTs are not giving any problems at all. I want a bigger screen, and a CRT piece in the living room currently is a strict no no according to my son!

Another query. Could a lot of the issues encountered with LED Tvs be due to voltage problems? Would using a old fashioned stablizer help? I remember using the thing three decades ago, not sure if any such thing is available nowadays. My area has a high voltage issue during night time (250+ volts).

Last edited by Gansan : 26th January 2024 at 16:54.
Old 26th January 2024, 17:00   #10422
BHPian

Quote:

I am open to 43" as well, my maximum budget is 30k for one Tv.
Don't if you want VFM TV

Taxes for panels upto 40 inch are lower than those with higher sizes. Hence you will find the price difference between 40 and 43 inch TVs to be substantial when compared to anything under 40.

It is analogous to the sub 4-meter length for cars.

However, not many brands have a 40 inch option.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2024 at 20:24. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 26th January 2024, 17:41   #10423
Senior - BHPian

^^ I scouted around in the Croma and Reliance Digital stores last night, didn't see any 40" Tv. Smallest is 32", then it is 43" onwards.
Old 26th January 2024, 23:21   #10424
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Samsung 43CU7700 UHD/4k model for Rs 33k from Croma this evening under Republic Day deal. It included a Rs 3k extra cash discount from manufacturer cum credit card co tie up. I had also short listed a couple of TCL/Haier models but they did not have any such additional discount and came to 29-30k, so decided to go with Samsung. It has a two year warranty.

Bought one TV only for the living room, decided to retain one CRT TV in the other room.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th January 2024 at 10:00. Reason: Minor typo. As requested.
Old 27th January 2024, 07:16   #10425
BANNED

Quote:
Another query. Could a lot of the issues encountered with LED Tvs be due to voltage problems? Would using a old fashioned stablizer help?

I don't think so for 2 reasons.

- My TV had problems in Mumbai & Mumbai power supply is extremely stable - stabilizers aren't required here - I have never owned one here & neither have most people.
- I have read that most electronic equipment come with built in stabilizer for small fluctuations - the ranges are far less than external stabilizers but good enough if your power supply is generally good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks