Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:30   #10456
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
However , a drawback would be the WebOS with only pre-installed apps and no provision to download like the Google TV.

I’ve never used an LG branded TV , hence in a but of conundrum whether to pick this against the Sony ; even though Sony’s is a last year’s model & they’re yet to launch their 2024 series.

Pricing-wise both are nearly identical after all the store & card discounts , i.e. ~ 76k INR something.

Attachment 2591525
Not sure if this holds any relevance now, but I will just share my experience. I recently bought an LG G3 OLED TV, so just sharing my observations.

There were substantial discounts on LG TVs, maybe you can look for a higher end OLED model. As an example C3 55 inches was around 1.08 Lakhs.

WebOS for our use case so far (2 months of ownership) has been a pretty smooth operation. It does have an App Library, but I am sure it wouldn't be as packed as Google TV app library. I have never used Google TV. But in day to day usage WebOS has been fast, reliable and mostly bug free. Unless you are looking for specific TV apps which are not on WebOS, your basic regular apps like Prime and Netflix work just fine on WebOS too.

From an OLED perspective, LG does contrast and many other technical specs better than Sony, but Sony does colors better than anyone else from what I could gather from reviews. Personally, I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

CHEERS
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 11:24   #10457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
A year ago, I purchased a 65-inch Samsung Frame (LS03B) and I am satisfied with my purchase. Even during mid-day, I have not experienced any glare on the screen. Additionally, the sound quality is normal, which is to be expected from a TV of this size (purchased 800QB soundbar) Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Finalised Samsung Frame 55-inch Matte version (Non-Matte not available anymore from 2022 onwards). Need reviews if anyone using it? Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I got Samsung The Frame recently and can vouch for the awesome Picture Quality. I went ahead with this model over Oneplus beacuse of the following reasons:
1. The refresh rate. This has 120 Hz compared to Oneplus , which is 60 Hz.
2. The sound (40 W) which is better than Oneplus ( I am not talking about the Pro).
3. Picture is way better than Oneplus (Compared with a Friend's)
4. The zero gap wall mount and the separate Media box for connections , which you can stow and hide somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
And there it is.

24 hours with the TV and the feelings are mixed, but mostly on the positive side. Picture quality is amazing and leagues ahead of the iFFALCON with similar specs. Now am wondering how an OLED would have looked.

Art mode is fine, but they just have 23 free artworks out of which 10 are useable. Subscription is 299 a month - but I don't think I'd spend money on that. Am yet to figure out how to do a slideshow. Now I have to change the pic manually and have to select the mount type every time - very frustrating.

Wall mounting it makes it sit about a feet above where the iFFALCON used to sit when on the TV stand. No deal breaker, but does not feel natural. Also the cables and the switchboard are now visible. Have to find a way to cover it up.

Thanks harry10 for suggesting this TV.
Hi all
I have finalized the 65" Samsung Frame - Have a choice between LS03B and LS03D (the latter is some 7.5k more)
I would love to hear your experience after living with the TV for some time now.
Are there any major cons?
My rationale for buying the TV is that it is the missus choice & it would blend great with the living room decor. The art mode is also a bit hit with her since its all about aesthetics in her case.
I also like the fact that the matte finish does not give reflections and the TV does not take center stage when it is off (unlike a shiny black Sony x90L)

I do understand that a soundbar is also needed for this TV since the default sound is just about par.

@dragonfire - were you able to work around the settings part so that the regular viewing experience is great?

Any other inputs from your side?

TIA
Cheers
Kedar
Old 29th May 2024, 12:30   #10458
BHPian

Hi all,

I started looking out for latest TV models and went to showrooms to check them out as well.

My requirement is either 55" or 65" and good brightness as well since the hall is very well ventilated in my flat. The viewing distance is around 10ft.

My observations so far:

Sony X90L: This seemed to be the best out of the lot, even though it does not have mini LED's or OLED. The XR processor seems to do a great job of enhancing details and contrast. Checked it out side by side, playing the same content with the Samsung QN90D. Sony had more details, better clarity, and better color for YouTube videos. It also supports Dolby Vision and sound output was comparatively better. The salespeople at Adishwar and Croma both seemed to suggest this over any other brand/model. It also has Google TV and I assume the apps get updated often when compared to Tizen/WebOS.

However, I am a bit concerned about the blooming effect in this, since it has fewer dimming zones. Online reviews say the viewing angle in this is not great, but when I checked in person, it was on par/better than the Samsung QN90D. X93L seems to be a better one, but not available in India.

Samsung S90D: A good OLED TV, which is just 8-12k costlier than QN90D models of 55" or 65". However, I observed that the screen is more reflective when compared to QN90D. Since the hall is well-ventilated, I am concerned whether it affects the viewing experience badly. Those who have it can please comment your experience regarding this.

Sony X90L seems to be almost on par with many QLED TV's, even though it doesn't have the technology, and much cheaper when compared to QN90D/S90D or even LG C3.

I am yet to check out LG TV's and compare it properly.

Anyone with X90L here, or those who considered it and then rejected it, please shed some light!
Old 29th May 2024, 18:38   #10459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Are there any major cons?
My rationale for buying the TV is that it is the missus choice & it would blend great with the living room decor. The art mode is also a bit hit with her since its all about aesthetics in her case.
After a while you will stop using the art mode as it is too much of work transfering the photos and setting it up. Also since it is not an OLED having it on all the time consumes power. If you are keen on that use case LG has an OLED version of the frame although am not sure it is available in India.
Quote:
I do understand that a soundbar is also needed for this TV since the default sound is just about par.
I found the audio decent. Much better than my previous thicker TVs. I have a HT system connected which takes care of movies and music. For regular TV viewing the TV speakers does just fine.
Quote:
@dragonfire - were you able to work around the settings part so that the regular viewing experience is great?
Having the TV set low is a personal preference of mine. In the USA people usually set it above the fireplace which would wrick my neck. If I had mounted the TV at the height of my TV stand (1 foot high), it would have looked too low for an "artwork". So I had to do some compromise and mount it at a height that serves both purposes. But to be honest I feel that it does not do justice either for TV viewing or for artwork.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 19:44   #10460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Having the TV set low is a personal preference of mine. In the USA people usually set it above the fireplace which would wrick my neck. If I had mounted the TV at the height of my TV stand (1 foot high), it would have looked too low for an "artwork". So I had to do some compromise and mount it at a height that serves both purposes. But to be honest I feel that it does not do justice either for TV viewing or for artwork.
Thanks for the response

I was actually referring to the below quote from you when I inquired about the settings
"This is my first TV with motion smoothening and that has a negative effect on me. The resulting soap opera effect troubles me as even well shot movies appear like home video to me. I watched most of the episodes of Night Sky on the TV and most of the action (there are not many) appear like a bunch of kids playing with toy guns. To disable motion smoothening I have to enable film maker mode - but to access that option I have to disable intelligent picture mode. Now, intelligent picture mode disables a host of automatic adjustments the TV does to the picture based on surroundings - including auto brightness. A bummer, if you ask me. Disabling intelligent mode immediately resulted in a washed out picture, but setting the picture mode to Cinema saved the day although the picture is now a bit warmer than I like. I guess I have to continue with me experiments with picture settings to get the best out of it."

Did you get a solution for the above?

Thanks again!
Old 30th May 2024, 10:07   #10461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalnadMansha View Post
Hi all,

Anyone with X90L here, or those who considered it and then rejected it, please shed some light!
The Sony X90L is a fantastic TV if you ask me. It is the starting point for Sony's premium range.
If you like bright colors that pop out, this is the TV to have in this price range. It almost appears as if someone is shining a light on all the content-of-interest, for any particular scene that it plays. (esp when you compare it with other similar-priced TVs and the X82L). Also, it supports Netflix Adaptive Calibrated Mode (if that matters to you)
The sound is also very very good as well! (lacks a bit of bass - but that's pretty much it) - I will not buy a soundbar if I got this TV.
The reason for my rejection is that we were fixated on the Samsung Frame for aesthetic reasons else I would have picked this up.
One con of this TV is the extremely shiny display when catches a lot of reflections. So if your room is brightly lit, this can pose problems during the daytime. Even in the showroom, with all the screens turned off, you may notice that this one is the shiniest.
So, if this aspect can be managed, I would say pick up this TV.
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 10:41   #10462
BHPian

Hello Pros!!

I am considering buying One Plus 43" 4K Ultra HD Smart Andriod TV from Amazon. With its mouth-watering pricing but non-existing brand pull, it is worth investing 23k? Should I go for it or invest 6-7k more and go for Samsung or LG? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Specs of One Plus TV:
Display: LED, 3840x2160 pixels, 60 hz refresh rate
TV Features: Android OS, 2 GB Ram, G52 MC1 Graphic processor
Audio: 24 watts output, Dolby Audio Sound configuration
Connectivity: 3 HDMI ports, Wi-Fi, USB
Old 30th May 2024, 16:24   #10463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
Hello Pros!!

I am considering buying One Plus 43" 4K Ultra HD Smart Andriod TV from Amazon. With its mouth-watering pricing but non-existing brand pull, it is worth investing 23k? Should I go for it or invest 6-7k more and go for Samsung or LG? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Specs of One Plus TV:
There was some noise all over youtube that OnePlus was exiting the TV segment in India and that is why their TVs were available with good discounts and they were doing this discreetly. I didn't follow the developments in this news so before buying make sure service centres are available (not just on paper but also in real) and research on youtube (Vineet Malhotra is a good channel).
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 17:56   #10464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
Hello Pros!!

Specs of One Plus TV:
LG and Samsung don't have Android TVs. The cheapest 43" 4K Sony Android TV is KD-43X64L and it was available at 31.8K on Amazon with all card+EMI offers (but without exchange). You may look out for the next Amazon sale. Note that this model was launched in 2023 (L series) but you will get 2024 manufactured units. BTW, the M series is due for launch in June 2024.
Old 30th May 2024, 20:12   #10465
Senior - BHPian

Please help me connect a soundbar with my TV!

The TV has only one usable HDMI port, in which the FireStick sits. The second port is on the rear surface, which is not accessible as the TV is wall mounted. My TV is dumb and does not have bluetooth.

Will a splitter device like this help?
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20240530_201114_chrome.jpg
Old 30th May 2024, 22:07   #10466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

The TV has only one usable HDMI port, in which the FireStick sits. The second port is on the rear surface, which is not accessible as the TV is wall mounted. My TV is dumb and does not have bluetooth.

Attachment 2611005
This may work but if it doesn't then is the second port working for sure? If yes, you can change the wall mount to a newer one with Full Motion system instead of the current fixed one. Will be useful.
Old 30th May 2024, 23:32   #10467
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2611005
HDMI splitter is useful only to replicate same content on multiple devices. What you need is an HDMI switch. My friend was using such a device which had 3 input ports and 1 output port. You connect output to the TV and other inputs like dth, Chromecast etc into the inputs. The switch had a button which will rotate the active input between the 3 inputs.

Example: Limited-time deal: Sounce 3-Port HDMI Switch 4K, 3x1 Switcher (Automatic Switching) Support Ultra HD 3D HDR Full HD 1080P HDCP, HDMI Splitter Hub Compatible with Apple TV Roku Fire TV Stick https://amzn.in/d/iD9TrEw
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 23:45   #10468
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2611005
Won't simply a male to female hdmi cable (i.e. an extension cable) work? You can fix it on the rear port.
Is the rear port perpendicular to the TV plane?
Old 31st May 2024, 00:28   #10469
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2611005
You can use the splitter shown by you. Some splitters need power to work, you should try both types.

Second option is to get a 90 degree (L angle) male to female HDMI adapter to connect to the port which is at the rear of the TV.
Old 31st May 2024, 13:01   #10470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
The Sony X90L is a fantastic TV if you ask me. It is the starting point for Sony's premium range.
If you like bright colors that pop out, this is the TV to have in this price range. It almost appears as if someone is shining a light on all the content-of-interest, for any particular scene that it plays. (esp when you compare it with other similar-priced TVs and the X82L). Also, it supports Netflix Adaptive Calibrated Mode (if that matters to you)
The sound is also very very good as well! (lacks a bit of bass - but that's pretty much it) - I will not buy a soundbar if I got this TV.
The reason for my rejection is that we were fixated on the Samsung Frame for aesthetic reasons else I would have picked this up.
One con of this TV is the extremely shiny display when catches a lot of reflections. So if your room is brightly lit, this can pose problems during the daytime. Even in the showroom, with all the screens turned off, you may notice that this one is the shiniest.
So, if this aspect can be managed, I would say pick up this TV.
My only concern is whether the blooming is as bad as seen in this video at timestamps 1:35 and 2:05:

It's hard to judge this at showrooms since it is a bright environment. Any X90L owners faced terrible blooming as it seems in the video above?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks