Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2023, 15:03   #10321
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

You guys can read about my Vu 55 inch TV experience here. Everything is good for my usage (OTT Only) except that the sound quality sucks and needs a soundbar. After about 3.5 years, I noticed it had gotten slighly sluggish. A factory reset solved the issue.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5434837 (The Budget / Frugal TV thread)
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 18:26   #10322
BHPian

My current primary TV is the Sony KDL-42w670a LED TV that we purchased sometime in 2012 / 2013 i believe at around 60k. Its been 10+ Yrs., but the Damn thing just wont die and still goes on & on. 0 Issues since we got it. Kudos to Sony's Quality and Materials used, but with the technological advancement in Televisions (QLED, OLED & what not) and regular nagging from my Wife and Daughter, i so want to get the newer big screen TV's with the latest technology. The current 42 inch feels pretty small now. At times, i feel i am really missing out on enjoying quality content viewing on TV. But then, i convince myself saying why change if its not broken. Head vs Heart thing.

Sorry for the rant, but couldn't resist posting this. And hope i have not jinxed myself.
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 22:41   #10323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How good is VU customer service for repairs (warranty & otherwise) etc?

t
I have a VU 32" LED for more than 7 8 years. The only time i needed their service was to replace the remote after more than 6 years. They delivered a new one within a day. Other than that is been doing ok since almost 10 years.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 23:12   #10324
BHPian

Amazon and Flipkart are running some good offers now. Just placed an order for Hisense 55U7H on Amazon including 1 year extended warranty (standard warranty is 2 years). The price was just slightly more than 36k after all card / pre-paid offers.

Flipkart too having similar offers (depending on which card you have).
satnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 20:44   #10325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I saw VU 55" in person last weekend. It looked fine but the picture quality was definitely better on Sony/LG/Samsung. The sales guy didn't recommend VU for OTT content too (he might be associated with premium brands and tried to pursue me from VU). Am totally confused now. I doubt whether the 55" inch will upscale HD content properly.
Sales guy would always refrain customers from buying stuff like VU, Sanyo etc because these are budget offerings that are primarily sold online. TV settings play a very important role in actual viewing experience and thats why they tweak it to showcase certain brands in better light.

I doubt you will have complaints regarding upscaling of hd content in VU provided the source is good. And if you are still very confused then just go for 55 inch Samsung. Avoid going for a smaller screen size. That would be my recommendation.
Maverick Avi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:00   #10326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
Amazon and Flipkart are running some good offers now. Just placed an order for Hisense 55U7H on Amazon including 1 year extended warranty (standard warranty is 2 years). The price was just slightly more than 36k after all card / pre-paid offers.

Flipkart too having similar offers (depending on which card you have).
Received the TV and overall experience was a mixed bag.

The good:

1. Amazon delivered the TV as scheduled on Monday. I was allowed an open box inspection as mentioned in their delivery policy.
2. The TV was installed only yesterday and first impressions are really good.

The bad:

1. Installation only happened late yesterday evening and it took multiple follow ups and escalations to Hisense for someone to turn up at my door step (appears that installation is not done by Hisense and outsourced to third party)
2. The guys who came for installation were insisting that I buy stabilizer and their swivel wall mounts and were really disappointed when I did not. It looked like they have targets from their boss to sell these. Suggesting these options are ok, but it was bit more than that.

So overall thumps up to the TV quality itself and to Amazon for the delivery, but thumps down to overall installation experience.
satnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:55   #10327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
The guys who came for installation were insisting that I buy stabilizer and their swivel wall mounts and were really disappointed when I did not. It looked like they have targets from their boss to sell these. Suggesting these options are ok, but it was bit more than that.
This is very regular as the installation person earns a handsome profit on this. Many times its not even driven by their company, but they do it individually. When I bought a TV few years back, the delivery person told me that swivel mount is mandatory since it will help in keeping the TV at a distance from the wall. If not, the TV will not last long due to dampness in the wall
Everlearner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:28   #10328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
If not, the TV will not last long due to dampness in the wall
If there is dampness then the wall itself is not going to last long
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 22:46   #10329
Senior - BHPian

Coincidentally I was in the same boat recently. Out Sony from 2017 developed flickering again. Last time the board was replaced under extended warranty. This time it didn't make sense to shell out for a new motherboard so I gave it to my repair guy who does board level repairs. Unfortunately he couldn't repair it either so a replacement was on the cards. He suggested I go for a cheaper Chinese TV as pretty much all consumer grade electronics these days have 3-5 year service life anyways which I think we can all agree is pretty much true.

But I still went to various shops anyways to check out the TVs and mainly to get a better idea of the sound quality which was lacking in the Sony we had and previous Panasonic as well.
Anyways did a little research and got confused by the 'n' number of models but kind of determined that the newer models had "Google TV" certification which was an easy way to sort them out. Did the rounds of the showrooms and pretty much all the Samsung, LG and Sony 55" models were in the 68-80k range. Remembered my repair guys advice and checked out the other brands. Hisense and TCL models had 95% of the picture quality and colour balance at half the price with better sound quality and standard 2 year warranties. Made a lot more sense to me. Came back and did a bit more research and settled on TCLs newest model which is also a QLED TV for 45k on Amazon. Called up a local shop and I'm getting it in a day or so with an extra 2k exchange for the old TV.
Will report back once I get it.

I just have one query if the old policy where the warranty is intact only if the company guy opens the box and sets it up still exists?
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:19   #10330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How good is VU customer service for repairs (warranty & otherwise) etc?

Also here I see a really cheap VU 43" TV for under 21,000 including 3 years warranty. An idea how is the quality of picture/sound etc on this TV?

Considering a 40,000 TV lasts for 5-6 years at best, I am wondering if a 21K TV with a 3 year warranty is a better bet
I had purchased a 43 inch VU Smart tv alongwith a 2 year extended warranty from VU (I think i paid 2.8K for it, offer was directly from Vu so took it)

About 2 Years and few months later we saw 7 dead pixels on the screen, searched for the warranty mail & topped it up stating the issue. Right from the pickup upto replacement with another 43 inch (Not the same model since they dont make it anymore) took about 4 or 5 days, we were provided with a loaner TV of 43 inches. So yes, service was great.

I'm not very peculiar about deep blacks or rich bass or FPS, I'm fine as long as it gets the intended job done, so I won't complain about the picture quality or sound quality, its fine. The TV is now mainly used to render Playstation 4's games.
montsa007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 17:32   #10331
BHPian

I have a 43 inches LG LCD TV which is of the non-smart variety. Which media streaming device should I go for considering that there are many such dongles available right now.
1. Amazon Fire Stick
2. Mi Streaming Device
3. Airtel something
4. Google Chromecast
Thanks.
Old 9th June 2023, 17:38   #10332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Which media streaming device should I go for considering that there are many such dongles available right now.
1. Amazon Fire Stick
Had no issues using a Amazon Fire Stick with my LG Plasma.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 07:33   #10333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 43 inches LG LCD TV which is of the non-smart variety. Which media streaming device should I go for considering that there are many such dongles available right now.
1. Amazon Fire Stick
2. Mi Streaming Device
3. Airtel something
4. Google Chromecast
Thanks.
Just don't go with the "Lite" version. Doesn't have volume controls on the remote. I use the 3rd gen stick and it does the job.

One thing that bothers me is that it's got only 8gb internal storage. While, that's more than sufficient to install all apps that one need, we just can't find space to copy movies onto the firestick (I prefer watching it on VLC player rather than the TV's native player).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 07:51   #10334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Amazon Fire Stick
2. Mi Streaming Device
3. Airtel something
4. Google Chromecast
Thanks.
The mi box is faster and better than the fire stick. Also, it's got female hdmi, the fire is male. Much easier with the mi to plug in.
Using both.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 07:52   #10335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Amazon Fire Stick
2. Mi Streaming Device
3. Airtel something
4. Google Chromecast
Thanks.
I'd recommend to go for Firestick. In fact, go for 4k model if your budget permits. That way, it would be future proof and still be useful if you upgrade to 4k TV in future.. Although now a days, we get smart TVs but personally I still prefer and find it more convenient to use my 4k Firestick over the native apps.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 10th June 2023 at 07:58.
Aviator_guy is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed