Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:04   #10396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a good 32 inch LED SMART HD TV with maximum warranty.

Can anyone here recommend VU as a reliable TV to buy. I am sick and tired of failing Samsung's so would rather not buy their TV's ever again.
Go for an Acer branded TV they offer the best value for money in the entry level category and best part is their color reproduction is not overly saturated and shadow detail beats many mid-range bravias too.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 01:16   #10397
BHPian

Quote:
I would heartily recommend VU, have a 32" one since 10 years now, running without any problems. Just needed a new remote once which was promptly provided.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2024 at 16:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:26   #10398
BHPian

Quote:
VU offers really good and reliable products; the service is especially good too.

Don't go for TCL, have heard of some terrible horror stories. You can alternatively check out Acer. Hearing really good things from my cousin who purchased it for 3 bedrooms in his house. The resolution and colour calibration is spot-on, it seems.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2024 at 16:31. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 13:04   #10399
BHPian

My 3 year old Sony TV has a problem of picture fading out every so often. The Sony technician came and replaced the T-Con board but the issue persists so has diagnosed a full screen replacement at 31k! I do not have extended warranty.

It is just 3 years old and so no way am I going to shell out approx 40% of what I paid for it to repair the screen. It is unacceptable to me that the screen should fail within just 3 years.

Does anyone have a contact for a higher up in Sony that I could speak to about this? Any phone or email would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 1st January 2024, 13:28   #10400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
It is just 3 years old
LED/LCD TVs aren't robust like CRT TVs. For most people, they start giving problems somewhere between 4-5 years. You have been just a little unlucky if it started after 3 years.

I think the best thing to do is to buy a cheap TV (Vu etc) & replace it whenever a major repair comes up. No point in paying a premium for Sony/LG/Samsung.
Old 1st January 2024, 13:55   #10401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
LED/LCD TVs aren't robust like CRT TVs. For most people, they start giving problems somewhere between 4-5 years. You have been just a little unlucky if it started after 3 years.

I think the best thing to do is to buy a cheap TV (Vu etc) & replace it whenever a major repair comes up. No point in paying a premium for Sony/LG/Samsung.
I don’t think that’s really the case.

The SAMSUNG LED bough before 2011 WC Final was retired only after 11 long years after the PCB failed. It survived 2 long distance hauls - Delhi-Lko and Lko-Mumbai as my Dad was transferred twice during that time.

The Panasonic LED in our house has survived little over 8 years and is now showing signs of ageing, with colors fading out on the edges.

At my aunt’s house, their SAMSUNG LED in the drawing room is nearly 13 years old and still going strong, same was the case with another one in one of their bedroom’s LG LED, about 10 years after which they changed due to less size and deteriorated picture quality.

At the moment, we have one TCL 55 QLED in the drawing (average performance; glitches; RAM could’ve been more for a 4K QLED in 2021), one Panasonic LED 32 inches, due to be retired soon (maybe this year), Two Sony LEDs 43 inches and 32 inches - December 2022 and November 2023 respectively. We switched to Sony because the Image Reproduction is just great! TCL was not good enough on the performance, although everything else is absolutely great. LG we didn’t have a very good experience and didn’t like the options very much and SAMSUNG doesn’t offer Android, so we didn’t go for it.

Xiaomi and other chintu mintu/chinese brands were never in the race because we’ve found some apps just don’t work on them.

I have, only once heard of an LED failing in the first few years, which was again a SONY. Never have I observed it being the norm.

Last edited by SixPistons : 1st January 2024 at 14:05.
Old 1st January 2024, 14:36   #10402
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
I have, only once heard of an LED failing in the first few years, which was again a SONY. Never have I observed it being the norm.
I have written here about my problems with my LG. And if you go through this thread, you will lots & lots more.

2 examples from last couple pf pages
Quote:
I am sick and tired of failing Samsung's so would rather not buy their TV's ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
My last TV purchase was many years back - Samsung 40 inch, non smart. After running well for 3-4 years it just conked off suddenly and required panel change (out of warranty). Was never the same after that and the display just went away again after 2 years and then I finally decided to sell it off since the usage was very low.
There are few more complaining of problems in 5-6 years.
Quite obviously, not every piece will fail. But I think 20-30% of them start giving problems are 4 years. It's a lottery I am not going to play anymore.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 16:33   #10403
Senior - BHPian

Its only of-late I guess. Our Samsung is from 2005, no issues. The latest Sony gave up early, in 3 years, due to power fluctuation - but is back in condition after authorised repair
Quote:
Old 1st January 2024, 16:38   #10404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Its only of-late I guess. Our Samsung is from 2005
LED/LCD or CRT? Anyway, I am not talking about Samsung in particular - seen this with all the premium brands of LED/LCD TVs - Sony, Samsung & LG. CRT TVs of these same brands were robust & could last so long that you would finally throw them out because you are bored with the same TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The latest Sony gave up early, in 3 years, due to power fluctuation - but is back in condition after authorised repair
As per what I have seen almost all brands have high rate of problems (like 20-30% of TVs have a lot of repairs mostly starting after 4 years or so)

Last edited by carboy : 1st January 2024 at 16:40.
Old 3rd January 2024, 20:45   #10405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have written here about my problems with my LG. And if you go through this thread, you will lots & lots more.

2 examples from last couple pf pages

There are few more complaining of problems in 5-6 years.
Quite obviously, not every piece will fail. But I think 20-30% of them start giving problems are 4 years. It's a lottery I am not going to play anymore.
The LG LED TV (21 inch) in our bedroom stopped working after 5 years (limited usage) and the motherboard had to be changed where as the panoramic plasma (40 inch) is going strong for the last 14 years with very rough (frequent power outage) and frequent use.

The Sony CRTs (90s) were going strong even after 20 years and we got bored of it.

Is there any alternative now with LEDs giving issues after a few years? It makes sense to buy a decent low end brand (TCL, VU, Oneplus etc) than spending more than 50k on renowned brands (Sony/ LG etc) that would give up after 3-5 years.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 3rd January 2024 at 20:47.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 08:07   #10406
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, please recommend me a TV!

Budget: 1L
Size: 65 inch (can't fit bigger and don't want smaller)
Need minimum 5yr warranty (paid if required) from a company that will honour.
Usage will be very basic, occasional movie watching (max 2-4 hrs of usage per week). Happy to settle for an older model and from a budget brand (warranty support is a must). Agnostic to tech/features as long as the movie looks half-decent.

Thanks!

Last edited by androdev : 7th January 2024 at 08:09.
Old 7th January 2024, 09:57   #10407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Folks, please recommend me a TV!

Need minimum 5yr warranty (paid if required) from

Thanks!
Bought a Sony X82L 65" 4 months back since I had the same requirements. The TV is really good and am not using a soundbar even though I have one as the sound output is adequate for my usage. Mine came with 1 yr warranty and I bought ext warranty from Onsite Go for another 3 yrs. Total damage to wallet 1.05L

Sony gives extended warranty free of cost during festival days so you might want to wait till Jan 15th to take advantage of the same. Hope this helps.
smrtdvl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 11:15   #10408
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Is there any alternative now with LEDs giving issues after a few years? It makes sense to buy a decent low end brand (TCL, VU, Oneplus etc) than spending more than 50k on renowned brands (Sony/ LG etc) that would give up after 3-5 years.
Based on various comments on this thread, it seems as if VU is overall better in terms of service, quality etc. I am currently trying without a TV - i.e. no cable or dish. All content watched on paid OTT platforms. It's going well for a month or so. If I decide I need a TV again, I will probably get a VU.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 13:51   #10409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Need minimum 5yr warranty (paid if required) from a company that will honour.
Usage will be very basic, occasional movie watching (max 2-4 hrs of usage per week). Happy to settle for an older model and from a budget brand (warranty support is a must). Agnostic to tech/features as long as the movie looks half-decent.
Considering the very limited usage, best you opt for a brand like VU or One Plus. Of course, there are also some decent options in the sub-1L segment in the established brands as well. Listing some decent options below, as per my own research for upgrading my Living Room TV from the current 55" to 65".

https://www.reliancedigital.in/sony-...ck/p/493837810

https://www.reliancedigital.in/onepl...1s/p/492338515

https://vutvs.com/products/vu-masterpiece-tv
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 22:11   #10410
BHPian

Its CES time & transparent TVs & glass free 3D monitors are the next big thing

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks