Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 20:32   #10141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I recently got a Sony X80J and the Sony technician who had come for installation is suggesting that I get a screen guard to protect the TV in case of any objects thrown on the screen. Have a 3 year old at home who throws things during his tantrums.

Have any of you used a TV screen guard? If so does it impact the viewing quality? The screen guard costs about 6K for a 55 inch TV and so wondering if it is wise to go for it?
Wow! That's the first time I am hearing about screen guard for TV! I can understand a screen guard might protect a mobile from minor scratches but how does it protect a TV from a kid throwing stuff at it?
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 20:39   #10142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Wow! That's the first time I am hearing about screen guard for TV! I can understand a screen guard might protect a mobile from minor scratches but how does it protect a TV from a kid throwing stuff at it?
It is something like the below one:

https://www.amazon.in/110-Screen-Gua...t_vrnc=hi&th=1

Can protect against screen damage and scratches when objects are thrown at it. Not sure about viewing quality as normal screen though.
Old 25th April 2022, 21:02   #10143
Senior - BHPian

Our LG comes with such a panel. The demo guy threw lots of stuff like tennis ball, remote etc at it to convince us (In the UAE). But in this case the screen flexes. In your case, not sure what a thin film would achieve other than scratch protection
Quote:
I get a screen guard to protect the TV in case of any objects thrown on the screen. Have a 3 year old at home who throws things during his tantrums
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 10:33   #10144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our LG comes with such a panel. The demo guy threw lots of stuff like tennis ball, remote etc at it to convince us (In the UAE). But in this case the screen flexes. In your case, not sure what a thin film would achieve other than scratch protection
It is more than 5mm thick and sort of like a tempered glass rather than a thin film. The installation guy sent some pics and it seems that it is a thick tempered glass attached to the top of the TV. I can't really infer if viewing quality is same from the pics though.
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:48   #10145
BHPian

Is a stabiliser necessary for the new TVs? I got a 55inch Sony X80J and the installation guy mentioned that there is no need for one. But I used one with my old 32 inch TV and I am not sure if the same can be used with the new one. Could any of you let me know your thoughts on this?
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:18   #10146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Is a stabiliser necessary for the new TVs? I got a 55inch Sony X80J and the installation guy mentioned that there is no need for one. But I used one with my old 32 inch TV and I am not sure if the same can be used with the new one. Could any of you let me know your thoughts on this?
I think it depends on the electricity supply in your city/town.

What I have been told by my friend who works in electrical field is that all TVs (old & new) come with some kind of built-in stabilizer. Most other electronic equipment also. The built-in one works for within a particular range of fluctuations (possibly 160V to 240V). If your power supply fluctuates outside that range, it's a problem, else not.

I have never ever used a stabilizer for a TV or anything else in my entire life in Mumbai.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:22   #10147
BHPian

Quote:
if you already have a stabaliser, i would recommend that you use it. you will have some protection.
even for fridge its not recommended by after having lost a compressor and having to spend 9K, i learnt my lesson the hard way.
with power cuts in abundance (which lead to surges), 80J will cost a lot more to repair.
LonelyPlanet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:25   #10148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of stabilizer, you can use UPS if there are voltage fluctuations /frequent power cuts in your area. I have been using UPS for last many years and also connected the set up box with it for seamless experience during power cuts and switchover to backup generator.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:44   #10149
BHPian

Bought the LG C1 OLED TV 65 inch. Extremely satisfied with the quality. My previous TV which still has a great picture quality is Panasonic Plasma PV42. Was worried how moving from Plasma to anything will be but happy with the new TV. Worthy upgrade for Plasma

The price of everything seems like fire crackers though. It came from 3.25 MRP to 1.82 and then some cash back with credit card. Cant blame because people need 'deals' on everything !
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:54   #10150
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Where did you buy it, Devi International?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
The price of everything seems like fire crackers though. It came from 3.25 MRP to 1.82 and then some cash back with credit card. Cant blame because people need 'deals' on everything !
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:46   #10151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Congrats. Where did you buy it, Devi International?
Thanks. Bought in Girias with no cost EMI. Previous Panasonic plasma was from Devi's.
Old 4th May 2022, 21:21   #10152
BHPian

After few days of contemplation and going over this thread, went for Samsung QN90A 55". QN90B is yet to arrive in showrooms and didn't want to put considerably large amounts for some tiny improvements. Wanted LG C1 by all sense, but the burn-in concerns pulled me away from it. Got it for 132500 approximately from Croma which is better than the quotes I received from Samsung Shop app and showrooms in person. Didn't want to put further investments into my OCD feelings and rather just relax and watch
Old 4th June 2022, 07:41   #10153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Asking for suggestions for a 55" TV, preferably UHD/4K.
Picked up LG 55 inch UHD TV last month (55UP7550PTZ). The UHD format movies are a treat to watch. Watched RRR and it was great experience. LG has its own WebOS and works well. The MRP is 85K but got it for 56K from local dealer. Although after some cash back, the price would be lesser than this, haven't received cash back so can't exactly figure out.
Old 6th June 2022, 13:04   #10154
BHPian

My 55 inch iFFALCON TV has suddenly started displaying pixelated video when viewing online content (Youtube, Prime, Hotstar). No issues if I play a local mkv file. I tried resetting everything with no avail.

I don't intend to get it fixed anyway as after sales support is known to be bad for these "frugal" brands. I could use it for some more time with a Chromecast, but I am already on the look out for replacement.

Anyway, no more frugal brands for me. I have to decide between the big three - LG, Samsung, Sony. Sony is the only one with Android OS, but is horribly expensive.

So first question is does Tzen/WebOS give similar experience as Android TV?

There is an enticing deal in Flipkart for an LG A1 48 inch TV (comes to 65K after discounts and exchange), but if I go for it, it will be a significant downgrade in screen size. I had always felt that 55 inch was a tad large for the distance from my sofa, but the advantage was that even for somebody standing in the kitchen it was still viewable.

So second question is, has anybody ever downgraded screen sizes and have you regretted it.

So now the final question: Which is the best TV at the moment in terms of picture quality and reliability and would not break the bank? 50K would be my sweet spot, but can go up to 75K. Although a repeat of the same 55 inch is in order, am willing to sacrifice a few inches in favour of price and picture quality.
Old 6th June 2022, 14:01   #10155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

So now the final question: Which is the best TV at the moment in terms of picture quality and reliability and would not break the bank? 50K would be my sweet spot, but can go up to 75K. Although a repeat of the same 55 inch is in order, am willing to sacrifice a few inches in favour of price and picture quality.
Go for this one
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-inches...79&sr=8-4&th=1

If the room where you watch TV does not have any harsh sunlight sources that fall on the screen, then this TV will exceed your expectations.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks