Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
  Search this Thread
2,964,073 views
Old 16th February 2022, 21:04   #10066
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,564
Thanked: 5,957 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Keep the TV in quick start mode, and instead of 6 seconds it starts immediately
That's true, but the guilt of not being green, spending more power on quick-start standby... I actually found an earlier model Panasonic in Amazon - with an asking price higher than the better OLEDs of today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Wondering why does it take 150 seconds? I have 50" smart TV and it is just a matter of seconds. Am I missing something?
That was a figure of speech

In the mid nineties, when we 'uograded' our desktop to Win95, my uncle commented "what'll you do if your phone too boots like this... You'll wait for Starting Windows... before you can call your doctor..." Context - DOS is almost an instant boot, drops you to the then-ubiquitous C:\> prompt in a jiffy. And then came Win 95 which, well, 'booted'.

The man didn't live to see phones boot like they do these days, am sure he'll have some proper Trivandrum expressions if he sees TVs, set-top boxes, and the kitchen sink "boot"!
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 17th February 2022, 10:59   #10067
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 3,590
Thanked: 11,093 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Panasonic Plasma was terrific. They should have kept that alive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I actually found an earlier model Panasonic in Amazon - with an asking price higher than the better OLEDs of today
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:47   #10068
Senior - BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,937
Thanked: 2,913 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Primary requirements:

1. Should fit the 1m panel
2. UHD 4K smart tv

Would like to stick to Sony/LG/Samsung. Budget is anywhere upto 60k. Appreciate some suggestions and if anyone with experience can tell if a 43 incher can fit in my tight panel?
Panasonic 43" is a good option as your second TV. I own one from 2 years and it is better than LG.
deehunk is offline  
Old 17th February 2022, 14:37   #10069
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BLR/EWR
Posts: 779
Thanked: 368 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Panasonic Plasma was terrific.
Indeed.
We have the TH-P50V20 model running for 10+ years now without any issues.
JMaruru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 22:29   #10070
Senior - BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,001 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

The 40 inch Sony Bravia TV at my in-laws place got horizontal lines. Given that the TV was 14.5 Years old, they decided to change it. They asked me to find another TV in the same size with a budget of 25K as they only watch Cable TV.

Initially considered Pre-Owned Sony TVs and checked OLX - in this price range SONY had only Full HD TVs. Then checked a few Samsung TVs and came across Samsung 43NU7100 which was 4K in the same price range. When I checked for prices - Croma seemed to have this old model on sale still! Samsung 43 inch NU7100 Smart UHD TV

Croma had it at the exact budget I had of 25K here: Link. This is a 2018-19 Model.

Then I started flipping through OLX again and came across someone who had put a less than 10 days old Samsung AU 8000 Crystal 4K TV on sale for 30K. Spoke to him and negotiated for 28K - visited his house - tested the TV, checked the invoice and made the purchase. This is a 2021 model - Link

Seems like a very well specced. TV for the price paid . Hope it lasts the duration as my in-laws keep TVs for a decade and beyond.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 18th February 2022 at 22:32.
vsrivatsa is offline  
Old 6th March 2022, 15:29   #10071
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 500 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

I am looking to buy a 65 incher for my living room. Saw this television called the Samsung Crystal AU9070 selling at 86k on the Samsung corporate website after cashback. Looks decent for the price. Does anyone here own this set?

My only concern is the 350 nits peak brightness, which seems mediocre on paper. I have a bright living room.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 19:56   #10072
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 3,792 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
My only concern is the 350 nits peak brightness, which seems mediocre on paper. I have a bright living room.

For a bright room, IPS panels are more suitable(LG TV range).
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:28   #10073
BHPian
 
@og_adi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 64
Thanked: 536 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Folks, we have a 43 inch LG Full HD LED TV (43LJ617T) which has developed some fingerprint like marks. Tried wiping them off to only realize they wouldn't go.
Question- Are these LED burns or any other display related issues? Or am I missing something here?
If they are indeed display related issues, is it advisable to get a new TV or get it repaired? I know it's hard to identify the problem by only viewing photos but any sort of guidance would help.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20220306_192304.jpg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20220306_190625.jpg

This aside, I was searching for a second TV yesterday and came up with a plan of moving the current one into a bedroom and getting a new one for the living room. Was mainly looking at LG and Samsung (No options from Sony below 40k for a 4k tv) and found these TVs-

1) LG 108 cm (43 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV 43UP7720PTY (Light Black) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0967LWLQ7/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

2) LG 108 cm (43 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart NanoCell TV 43NANO73TPZ (Ashed Blue) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B096VKQ8QL/...6B36A3WC8BAMXZ

3) Samsung 108 cm (43 inches) Crystal 4K Series Ultra HD Smart LED TV UA43AUE60AKLXL (Black) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B092BJMT8Q/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Need your advice regarding the products mentioned above. My expectations from it are only constrained to decent audio and picture quality, good OS (smooth, lag free experience & one which is better for OTT streaming).

The primary reason for not allocating more budget is purely because these appliances are unreliable and require a replacement within a few years again. Be it personal experiences or reviews read online, all hint at a life expectancy of 4-5 years in most cases. However, if there is something worth the stretch (say 25% max), don't hold yourself back from sharing.

Thank you!

Last edited by @og_adi : 7th March 2022 at 15:33.
@og_adi is offline  
Old 7th March 2022, 16:23   #10074
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 3,792 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Was mainly looking at LG and Samsung (No options from Sony below 40k for a 4k tv) and found these TVs-

1) LG 108 cm (43 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV 43UP7720PTY (Light Black) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0967LWLQ7/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

2) LG 108 cm (43 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart NanoCell TV 43NANO73TPZ (Ashed Blue) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B096VKQ8QL/...6B36A3WC8BAMXZ

3) Samsung 108 cm (43 inches) Crystal 4K Series Ultra HD Smart LED TV UA43AUE60AKLXL (Black) (2021 Model)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B092BJMT8Q/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Need your advice regarding the products mentioned above. My expectations from it are only constrained to decent audio and picture quality, good OS (smooth, lag free experience & one which is better for OTT streaming).

The primary reason for not allocating more budget is purely because these appliances are unreliable and require a replacement within a few years again. Be it personal experiences or reviews read online, all hint at a life expectancy of 4-5 years in most cases. However, if there is something worth the stretch (say 25% max), don't hold yourself back from sharing.

Thank you!
Unless you have a bright room(for which IPS panels are better), I'd suggest the Samsung. I have the very same Samsung and it has been running fine for the past 18 months or so. However, are you sure that you wanna stick to 43'' only? It is ultimately your choice but the old notion about the screen size to be based on your viewing distance is hardly valid now. The new mantra is- 'As long as it fits, get it'.

After getting the 43, we realised that we could have got at least the 50 incher if not the 55.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:44   #10075
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 500 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The new mantra is- 'As long as it fits, get it'.
We plan to hang our new one on the TV unit, which happens to be 68 inches wide. Now from what I see online, all 75 inchers are 66 inches wide.

So technically in my case, it fits, but the better half is concerned that it will spoil the looks with the TV basically covering the entire width of the TV unit. Hence I would have to settle for the 65.

Is it possible to win the argument here?
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 17:07   #10076
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 3,792 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
We plan to hang our new one on the TV unit, which happens to be 68 inches wide. Now from what I see online, all 75 inchers are 66 inches wide.

So technically in my case, it fits, but the better half is concerned that it will spoil the looks with the TV basically covering the entire width of the TV unit. Hence I would have to settle for the 65.

Is it possible to win the argument here?
Haha. Well, to each his own but I think a big TV or big slabs of mirror in general, uplift the room ambience. Though yes, with a TV unit, this may not be true. Also, if you are going for a Samsung, the recent ones now have an ambient mode where you can have a picture or a slideshow of pictures on the TV, making it look like a piece of art. A 75 inch piece of art shall look better than a 65 incher. 65 to 75 is like a 30% increase in real estate.

Well, if the above pointers don't turn out to be convincing, I guess until next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Is it possible to win the argument here?
There's also the possibility of getting a 70'' but it seems that most of them are out of stock currently unless you go for the lesser brands.

Last edited by AYP : 7th March 2022 at 17:19.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 19:44   #10077
BHPian
 
@og_adi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 64
Thanked: 536 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Unless you have a bright room(for which IPS panels are better), I'd suggest the Samsung. I have the very same Samsung and it has been running fine for the past 18 months or so.
Thank you for the reply @AYP, your experience with the TV is reassuring. I did some research on it on various platforms and while most of them approved it to be a good product, Amazon reviews spoke otherwise. Nevertheless, it looks like a good bet but have few queries regarding this TV-
1) How is the Tizen OS? The webOS on our LG TV is decent at best mostly because it comes with very less RAM and inbuilt storage. The UI is nicely done though.

2) How are the inbuilt speakers? I'm primarily looking at clarity here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
However, are you sure that you wanna stick to 43'' only? It is ultimately your choice but the old notion about the screen size to be based on your viewing distance is hardly valid now. The new mantra is- 'As long as it fits, get it'.

After getting the 43, we realised that we could have got at least the 50 incher if not the 55.
What you say makes sense but dimensions of the TV prevent me from doing the same . Though we have space to fit an 80 incher in terms of width, height is restricted to fit a 43 only. As soon as I read your reply, measured the height again keeping in mind the 50 to only see 2.5 inches of space if it came. Nothing like a bigger screen like you mentioned but if only it were 2 inches shorter in height.

Last edited by @og_adi : 8th March 2022 at 19:47.
@og_adi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 20:04   #10078
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 3,792 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Thank you for the reply @AYP, your experience with the TV is reassuring. I did some research on it on various platforms and while most of them approved it to be a good product, Amazon reviews spoke otherwise. Nevertheless, it looks like a good bet but have few queries regarding this TV-
1) How is the Tizen OS? The webOS on our LG TV is decent at best mostly because it comes with very less RAM and inbuilt storage. The UI is nicely done though.
I had done my comparison between webOS and Tizen and had come to the conclusion that-

1. webOS is easier to use and is simpler.

2. Tizen offers more features and has a better app support(applicable to India as well as globally).

I'd personally prefer the Tizen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
2) How are the inbuilt speakers?
The speaker quality is good but nothing to boast about. I don't think that there will be a huge difference between a 20W LG and a 20W Samsung.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:54   #10079
Senior - BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,001 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Be it personal experiences or reviews read online, all hint at a life expectancy of 4-5 years in most cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I have the very same Samsung and it has been running fine for the past 18 months or so.
Bit surprised at "life expectancy" comment saying 4-5 years for the Top 3 Brands - Sony/Samsung/LG. My current Sony Bravia 4K 55 inch is 7 years old and doing fine. My older Sony Bravia W series lasted 14 years before the horizontal lines showed up.

Has the longevity of TVs from even the Top 3 brands gone bad in recent times?
vsrivatsa is offline  
Old 10th March 2022, 13:43   #10080
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Bit surprised at "life expectancy" comment saying 4-5 years for the Top 3 Brands - Sony/Samsung/LG. My current Sony Bravia 4K 55 inch is 7 years old and doing fine. My older Sony Bravia W series lasted 14 years before the horizontal lines showed up.

Has the longevity of TVs from even the Top 3 brands gone bad in recent times?
I can say from experience that quality and longetivity has definitely come down. My brand new Samsung LED tv developed dark patch within 6months and panel was replaced under warranty. It lasted for 5 years and same issue cropped up. So decided to buy a new one and not expecting anymore than 5-6 years of trouble free ownership. I feel Samsung appliances quality has deteriorated, be it TV, washing machine, AC or refrigerator, even the mobile phones are giving away after 3 years.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks