Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 00:51   #9976
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Hi! I'm looking to buy a new tv in the 65 inch range. I wouldn't want to experiment with any other companies other than OnePlus, Samsung and the LG.

Can anyone please help me understand if the Samsungs and the LGs are worth the extra 17-20k premium over OnePlus with respect to screen clarity, reliability and audio?
Firstly, the picture quality of Samsung, LG, Sony is a class apart. None of the lesser mortals (brands) can aspire to match it. The decision solely rests on the price and how much of a purist one is. Also, audio isn't great on 99% of the current TVs, you'll have to get a soundbar for a seamless audio experience. If you are intent on a big brand, wait for the Diwali sale maybe.

Along with One Plus, you can consider the VU TVs. From what I hear, One Plus TVs are still a hit or miss. VU on the other hand is quite solid, though their TVs are a rebranding of the Hisense ones. Personally using a VU 55" for the living room since 2019 and the customer service has always been excellent. Suffices for watching Netflix, Prime etc. SD channels don't look great though, HD is the way to go. Will upgrade to a VU 65" next year.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 27th August 2021 at 00:52. Reason: Added text
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 12:20   #9977
BHPian

I have decided finally to bite the bullet and buy this Sony tv - https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-Ce...ony+tv+&sr=8-3

This is a budget stretch for me but a showroom visit to Croma and Reliance Digital yesterday made me realise why Hisense, TCL and similar brands sell at comparatively lower prices.

Anyone using this Sony tv can provide real life feedback?
Old 28th August 2021, 12:47   #9978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
But look at ... Tewtross-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless
Thanks, Warrioraks. While this looks a good option, but I'd rather pay that additional 2.5k for a TV that has Bluetooth built-in, than have another device sitting there. Will keep things simpler.

Also, have ruled out the Sony FHD. Looking at the Samsung 8 series / 9 series, and should close it in a couple of days.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:40   #9979
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided finally to bite the bullet and buy this Sony tv - https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-Ce...ony+tv+&sr=8-3
So finally got the tv installed over the weekend. Picture quality is nice. Upscaling on tv channels that my parents watch is amazing. Typical Sony quality paired with Android TV OS.

On the cons, found one major downer till now - Even though TV has bluetooth connectivity, it is by default limited to remotes and keyboards. No out of the box support for connecting headphones/earphones.
I think this is the same issue Condor was highlighting as well in his posts. I did not read the feature description in detail before ordering on Amazon and would now need a hack for it

To summarize - The family is really happy with the picture quality and the big screen. I have watched a few PowerDrift videos till now and things truly came to life. Overall I would give it a 4 out of 5 considering bluetooth connectivity for earphones is a basic expectation in the current times.

Last edited by warrioraks : 6th September 2021 at 14:57.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:20   #9980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the cons, found one major downer till now - Even though TV has bluetooth connectivity, it is by default limited to remotes and keyboards. No out of the box support for connecting headphones/earphones. .
The specs listed by Sony are quite clear:

Quote:
BLUETOOTH PROFILE SUPPORT
Version 4.2;HID (mouse/keyboard connectivity)/HOGP (Low Energy device connectivity)/SPP(Serial Port Profile)
For Bluetooth audio, the TV needs to have two-way Bluetooth functionality. These Sony's look to have one-way only - for the keyboard & mouse.

The hack that you could check is - a BT adapter connected to the Headphone output that is there on this model.

Last edited by condor : 6th September 2021 at 15:25.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:05   #9981
BHPian

Quote:
But look at this.
If the Sony TV has an audio out jack, you should be able to hook this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The hack that you could check is - a BT adapter connected to the Headphone output that is there on this model.
By BT adapter, did you mean something like what I quoted above Condor? Life comes a full circle, isn't it
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:41   #9982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By BT adapter, did you mean something like what I quoted above Condor? Life comes a full circle, isn't it

We were going the same way, bro. Unfortunately for you, the miss happened. But for that, the Sony's are good stuff.

Btw, almost decided on my purchase. Will share here on my observations, just in case it helps others who are looking at the budget 4K TV's.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 11:01   #9983
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone using this Sony tv can provide real life feedback?
Sorry bud. Saw this pretty late. Got the same in 2020 and have no complaints. The picture quality is phenomenal especially playing 4K stuff.
Regarding the Bluetooth, Sony mentions this specifically in the specs.
I have a HT attached, so had no issues. See if you can get one of those Rs. 250 dongles that extend BT capability.

Rest assured you can't go wrong with a Sony Bravia. This is my second one after the 42"

Edit: Seems a lot of BHPians have already suggested the dongle. hehe.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 15:57   #9984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Firstly, the picture quality of Samsung, LG, Sony is a class apart. None of the lesser mortals (brands) can aspire to match it. The decision solely rests on the price and how much of a purist one is.....
You couldn't have been more right. The difference between OnePlus and Samsung screen quality is huge! Also the difference between Sony and Samsung! Sony seems to be some much more crisper and brighter. I have decided to stick to Samsung as you rightly advised! Thank you again!

Just one last help needed from all, the Samsungs sold at the store and the ones available online (65 Inch) price difference was huge. Mainly due to the discounts on MRP available on Amazon. When I enquired about this with the sales rep at the showroom he said that the ones available online have a few features missing and those models aren't sold in Retail stores. Forgot to cross verify the model number unfortunately. So, was this guy stating random stuff to make his sale or is it true that the ones available online are discounting heavily because of difference in features?

Fo example: Samsung 163 cm (65 inches) Crystal 4K Pro Series Ultra HD Smart LED TV UA65AUE70AKLXL is being sold for 89,990 after discount but similar ones in the store was still at 1.2L
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:12   #9985
Distinguished - BHPian

I think LG manufactures the panels for Sony too.
Quote:
I have decided to stick to Samsung as you rightly advised! Thank you again!
In case you are looking at the Samsung UHD's, then I suggest compare the model with similar size models of LG & Sony once. Reliance & Croma have displayed these side by side, and the difference can be seen. Check using skin color as reference point.

What the sales guy has said is likely true. UA65AUE70AKLXL is an online model, with the comparable offline model being 7700. This one is a 7 series, and as per Samsung it has a pic quality index of only 2000 odd, vastly different from the 9 series which has a PQI of 2800

I have just now finalized on a LG (buying at Devi Intnl), after having compared the 4K UHD's. I could have got good price for Samsung via corporate or group employee options, but not taking a Samsung.

Last edited by condor : 7th September 2021 at 16:15.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:31   #9986
BHPian

Quote:

Just one last help needed from all, the Samsungs sold at the store and the ones available online (65 Inch) price difference was huge. Mainly due to the discounts on MRP available on Amazon. When I enquired about this with the sales rep at the showroom he said that the ones available online have a few features missing and those models aren't sold in Retail stores. Forgot to cross verify the model number unfortunately. So, was this guy stating random stuff to make his sale or is it true that the ones available online are discounting heavily because of difference in features?
A lot of these brands have started listing different models for online portals and retail stores. Though the difference in features can be minimal at times, always better to cross-verify a particular model. Have sometimes seen insane discounts on Amazon/Flipkart on the same model, as compared to the price at a Croma/Rel Digital. Do make sure to go through the specifications and list of features minutely to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 7th September 2021 at 18:32. Reason: Typo
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:56   #9987
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Warrioraks. While this looks a good option, but I'd rather pay that additional 2.5k for a TV that has Bluetooth built-in, than have another device sitting there. Will keep things simpler.

Also, have ruled out the Sony FHD. Looking at the Samsung 8 series / 9 series, and should close it in a couple of days.
Why not buy the fire-tv stick which has bluetooth inbuilt and allows connecting to a headset.
Old 7th September 2021, 20:01   #9988
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a quick summary of my search for a budget 4K UHD TV:

After quite a few visits to the showrooms, and many hours of browsing thru the company websites + youtube for reviews, here is the summary:

Brands considered
: LG, Samsung, Sony.
Categories considered: Smart, UHD, and a bit of QLED (Samsung).
Budget: tried to stay within 45k after discounts. Usage is not high - it's only my wife who watches TV. I dont.

Criteria: 43", good pic quality, sound, and basic features to be able to view stuff online. Dont have cable connection at this time- so it would be mainly the stuff available off the net, including Amazon Prime, Youtube etc.

Stayed away from the other brands like Panasonic, and even the Kodak/Sansui & chinese brands.

I initially started with Samsung due to corporate offers, and also group employee discounts through my BiL. If you look up my previous posts here, it was for a 32" Smart TV, but moved one step up, to the 43" UHDs. Thanks to you guys for the suggestions you gave here in the thread.

I had initially shortlisted the Samsung 32" TU4900, then the TU8570, and later the newer AU9070. The TU8570 was a good all round package, and was getting a pretty good price too. The 8570 not available in showrooms, so could not check it further.

VA Panels
are said to be better than IPS Panels, but for the layman what matters is the final picture. For this, I used the skin tone as a measure of color true-ness (the guy at the Croma showroom showed me the pinkish tinge on Samsung screens).

Also, the IPS Panels have better pic when viewed from sides/at angle, than the VA Panels.

Sony's Smart TV have good pic quality, but did not opt for these due to the simple reason that these dont have a Bluetooth, even though one is paying upwards of 50K (after discount).

Quick ref about the models considered:

I am not going into the details here - just the points which I used when deciding.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-4k-uhd.png

Model selected: LG 43UM7790. Purchase at Devi International in Jayanagar. Offer price: 47k, with an adjustable/floating wall mount. (Flipkart price 50k)

High-level suggestion & Observations:

When checking the TV's, check the channels you normally watch. Sony showroom & even demo clips in all brands use tailored 4K content which makes the lower spec TV's look better than they are.

Btw, the 40" BPL Smart TV was a surprise package in the Smart TV bunch. The pic/sound quality was quite good.

A few points about:

Websites:
Comparison is not easy. The compare feature provided is not intuitive.
Not even a search feature where one could select set of features one wants.
Specs sheet not available for most models. OS versions not available.
Samsung website did have some good prices.

Showroom visits:

Both Croma and Giria's have hooked up the TV audio to a common speaker setup. I was not happy with this, since I wanted to hear the audio from the TV speakers itself.

Croma, Reliance Digital, Giria's have displayed same size TV's together. Makes comparison easier.

Hope this set of pointers helps.

Last edited by condor : 7th September 2021 at 20:14.
condor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 15:34   #9989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Sorry bud. Saw this pretty late. Got the same in 2020 and have no complaints. The picture quality is phenomenal especially playing 4K stuff.
Regarding the Bluetooth, Sony mentions this specifically in the specs.
I have a HT attached, so had no issues. See if you can get one of those Rs. 250 dongles that extend BT capability.
No worries man, I am now past the grief stage of missing this feature
What exactly is HT?
Quote:
So, was this guy stating random stuff to make his sale or is it true that the ones available online are discounting heavily because of difference in features?
He is not bluffing. When I went to Croma, I saw a Samsung crystal 55 inch selling for around 65k. Now this tv was on my Amazon wish list since months so I knew it sells for way lesser. Asked the salesman on the price difference as compared to online and he offered to match the Amazon price. I showed him the Amazon listing and he says that although both TVs are called Samsung Crystal 4K, the model number are different. I double checked and he was right. In fact, the model available for display in Croma was nowhere to be found on e-commerce sites. The reverse was true as well - the model available on Amazon was online only as per the salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Why not buy the fire-tv stick which has bluetooth inbuilt and allows connecting to a headset.
That covers only one source. If a person has a set top box or other sources acting as input to tv, then this method doesn’t work.

Last edited by warrioraks : 8th September 2021 at 15:35.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 16:06   #9990
BHPian

Quote:
No worries man, I am now past the grief stage of missing this feature
What exactly is HT?
My bad. HT==Home Theater.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com