Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 15:56   #9826
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Recently bought a UHD LED TV. Also upgraded to Tata Sky HD receiver box. Now all the non-HD channels are of mediocre quality. Is this how it is in HD world, that only HD Channels will be off superior quality and all the non-HD ones would go for a toss?
Non-HD (or SD) content on an HD/UHD panel will appear blurred and generally unpleasing to the eye, especially the larger your TV and the closer you sit to it.

This is because SD content meant for display on 0.4 million pixels is being output on over 8 million pixels on your UHD panel.
Pequod is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:28   #9827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Not quite true without digging further into the past :

Personally, LG and Samsung shouldn't even be mentioned alongside Sony, they are way too inferior to even matter...

Samsung is just a joke, in everything.
Well if Sony was that great, why does it buy Oled panels from LG? Even Apple buys displays from Samsung.

Why do such superior companies buy displays from such inferior companies? As if Sony invented everything in the world of electronics. This is the link which shows the milestones of LG Display:
https://www.lgdisplay.com/eng/company/history

I hope you'll find many of the world's firsts in that list by such an inferior company.

Is Samsung was a joke, why did Sony agree to a JV with them?

Samsung & LG together command about 40% of the global TV market which is not a joke. The joke is Sony having a market share of about 10% which includes Oled panels bought from LG!

Samsung which according to you is too inferior is the 5th most innovative company in the world (2020) as per BCG while superior Sony is 9th on the list.

And as per this link, these two companies are among the top 15 with patent applications:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-applications/
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20210330211737.png  

CarNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 16:49   #9828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Well if Sony was that great, why does it buy Oled panels from LG? Even Apple buys displays from Samsung.

Why do such superior companies buy displays from such inferior companies? As if Sony invented everything in the world of electronics. This is the link which shows the milestones of LG Display:
https://www.lgdisplay.com/eng/company/history

I hope you'll find many of the world's firsts in that list by such an inferior company.

Is Samsung was a joke, why did Sony agree to a JV with them?

Samsung & LG together command about 40% of the global TV market which is not a joke. The joke is Sony having a market share of about 10% which includes Oled panels bought from LG!

Samsung which according to you is too inferior is the 5th most innovative company in the world (2020) as per BCG while superior Sony is 9th on the list.

And as per this link, these two companies are among the top 15 with patent applications:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-applications/
There is a difference between a Display Panel and the end product. Panels are commodity products and a few companies mass produce high end components. It is same with semiconductors.

A TV is more than the panel. There are a host of design elements that distinguish one manufacturer from another. So in my opinion Sony may have a better product in some areas, but that does not mean that LG and Samsung are inferior, just that their focus is in OEM numbers first and derivatives second.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:45   #9829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There is a difference between a Display Panel and the end product. Panels are commodity products and a few companies mass produce high end components. It is same with semiconductors.

A TV is more than the panel. There are a host of design elements that distinguish one manufacturer from another. So in my opinion Sony may have a better product in some areas, but that does not mean that LG and Samsung are inferior, just that their focus is in OEM numbers first and derivatives second.
The panel is the heart of a TV. It's like an engine which you can tune it according to your requirements. But without it, there is no TV. Sony which has a history of making TVs starting from transistor TV, developing Trinitron technology, flat TV, etc has fallen behind others. It now buys panels from others. It's like Honda buying engines from Hyundai! I don't think today's Sony is the Sony of 80's or 90's or even 2000's where it was dominant in the market.

Last edited by CarNerd : 9th April 2021 at 09:54.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 07:45   #9830
Oxy
BHPian

The latest Sony J series has started showing up:

https://www.digit.in/article/amp/tvs...specifications
Old 11th April 2021, 07:59   #9831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

There is very little these days beyond the panel. There is the panel and a single board that contains the display processor and an SoC that controls the tv functions. In many cases, this is a single chip. In simplest terms, it's like a panel which is being controlled by a raspberry Pi type board over a display interface - typically MIPI or something similar. That is the reason every Tom dick and harry Chinese company is building a tv by buying panels from one of the panel vendors.

In modern tv terms, panels are everything and LG display is the king.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:52   #9832
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though LG seems to be supplying panels to Samsung and to Sony, Sony's TVs seem to hit it out of the park. I was at a Croma outlet last Sunday to get a side-by-side look-see at the LGs, Samsungs and Sonys...I didn't look at OLEDs and QLEDs since their longevity is unknown. Looking purely at 4K TVs, Sony's X8000H and X9000H are far superior to mid-range 4K TVs from LG and Samsung. The X9000H actually beats some of Samsung's vaunted QLED TVs.

What I don't like about any of them - how much I would need to pay for these, given the fact that beyond 2-3 years, they can need costly repairs. I'm questioning my sanity, so help me God, but I hope I don't plonk 1 lac on a Sony 55" X9000H. That's money well-spent indeed, but not if there's no guarantee of longevity. Maybe I should just get a low range budget TV that I can junk 3 years down the line. I'm confused.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 19:27   #9833
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Even though LG seems to be supplying panels to Samsung and to Sony, Sony's TVs seem to hit it out of the park. I was at a Croma outlet last Sunday to get a side-by-side look-see at the LGs, Samsungs and Sonys...I didn't look at OLEDs and QLEDs since their longevity is unknown. Looking purely at 4K TVs, Sony's X8000H and X9000H are far superior to mid-range 4K TVs from LG and Samsung. The X9000H actually beats some of Samsung's vaunted QLED TVs.

What I don't like about any of them - how much I would need to pay for these, given the fact that beyond 2-3 years, they can need costly repairs. I'm questioning my sanity, so help me God, but I hope I don't plonk 1 lac on a Sony 55" X9000H. That's money well-spent indeed, but not if there's no guarantee of longevity. Maybe I should just get a low range budget TV that I can junk 3 years down the line. I'm confused.
There is a lot of discussion on this very thread describing how showrooms tweak the display settings to favour one brand/model over another.
If you adjust the setting of the Samsung/LG/Panasonic, they would almost match the Sony panels. I would suggest visiting a different outlet like Reliance/Vasanth/etc. before taking a call.

But your point about the comparison with budget brands is right. It becomes very difficult to justify paying Sony twice the price of an equivalent Mi TV.
m8002? is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 05:45   #9834
Oxy
BHPian

I would like to urge everyone to avoid buying Samsung. Today they launched the QN900A Neo QLED 8k at 13.5 lakhs (for the 85 inch screen size), while the USA price is $9000, which is about 6.7 lakhs. What's the logic of this idiotic pricing?

From what I know, they even make a large chunk of their TVs and smartphones here in India under the Make in India initiative, so they get cheap labour and incur zero import costs. Then where is that benefit in pricing for us Indians? Why are we always taken for a ride by these bloodsuckers?

Will personally now wait for Sony's prices for this year's models. If that disappoints too then will look at LG or will buy some budget brand this year.

Last edited by Oxy : 15th April 2021 at 05:48.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 18:37   #9835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I was at a Croma outlet last Sunday to get a side-by-side look-see at the LGs, Samsungs and Sonys...I didn't look at OLEDs and QLEDs since their longevity is unknown. Looking purely at 4K TVs, Sony's X8000H and X9000H are far superior to mid-range 4K TVs from LG and Samsung. The X9000H actually beats some of Samsung's vaunted QLED TVs.
Looking at TVs sideways in a showroom is different from professionally testing them. There are many websites and YouTube channels devoted to testing TVs like Rtings, HDTV Test, etc. They calibrate TVs before testing and according to them, Sony is slightly better in terms of out of the box color reproduction and motion processing.

Samsung TVs have more color saturation (colors appear more vibrant). Some people prefer Sony's more natural looking colors while others like Samsung's punchy colors. Dark room performance is a different story. Samsung hides details and less blooming while Sony does the opposite. It all depends on individual preferences and TV models.

Coming to the longevity, I don't think QLED suffers from burn-ins like OLED as it is basically a LCD display. Newer OLED displays may be better at preventing burn-ins which happen in extreme cases anyway.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 19:58   #9836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I would like to urge everyone to avoid buying Samsung. Today they launched the QN900A Neo QLED 8k at 13.5 lakhs (for the 85 inch screen size), while the USA price is $9000, which is about 6.7 lakhs. What's the logic of this idiotic pricing?

From what I know, they even make a large chunk of their TVs and smartphones here in India under the Make in India initiative, so they get cheap labour and incur zero import costs. Then where is that benefit in pricing for us Indians? Why are we always taken for a ride by these bloodsuckers?
Some of their TVs are made in India. However such high end TVs are always imported and India has a horrendous customs duty structure. So your ire at the price differential is justified but directed at the wrong entity.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 19:12   #9837
Distinguished - BHPian

I was deeply studying the TV market of today. YouTube channels such as "Stop the FOMO" and "HDTVTest" are real goldmines of information for evaluating the big 3 brands - LG, Sony and Samsung.

What I learned is that LG's OLED TVs are alone top notch. Samsung's flagship TVs are alone top notch. And Sony's main TVs are good whether it be OLED or 4K (e.g., X90H). But all of these, with 120 Hz refresh rate, the best contrast ratio, minimal bloom, low stutter, optimum brightness, colors and more - all cost upwards of 1 lac INR. All the other offerings are half-hearted products placed by these brands to fill up shelves.

I junked all those premium product considerations and just bought a VU 50" Premium TV on Flipkart. Once its bought, my 5 year old is going to stream doll dramas on YouTube 6 hours a day. And I'm not even going to get to watch it. Rs.36,000 is enough, if not excessive, for that!

I'll purchase an extended warranty next from VU. And then its time to move on with life. Hell, I'm a big spender on cars. And it looks to me like we're going to go down with Corona in the family... I can't afford to blow anymore money ongizmos.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:46   #9838
Distinguished - BHPian

Any thoughts on the Mi QLED TV with 75-inch screen and Android 10? Launching at a very competitive price of 1,19,000 with an introductory HDFC cashback of 7,500 + 12 months no cost EMI.

It's also made in India!

https://www.mi.com/in/mi-qled-tv-75/
Old 24th April 2021, 09:43   #9839
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any thoughts on the Mi QLED TV with 75-inch screen and Android 10? Launching at a very competitive price of 1,19,000 with an introductory HDFC cashback of 7,500 + 12 months no cost EMI.

It's also made in India!

https://www.mi.com/in/mi-qled-tv-75/
It offers incredible value for money.

1000 nits peak brightness, 10000:1 contrast ratio, 120 Hz panel, all HDR formats supported, HDMI 2.1 compatible, DCI-P3 95%.. for this price these are unreal specs.

The same size from one of the big 3 will cost atleast twice the money.

If you have the space, this looks like a no brainer.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:50   #9840
Senior - BHPian

Apparently it can't do 4k120 over HDMI 2.1. For that kind of money, it's a serious downer.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks