Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 07:19   #9751
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
The new Mi QLED TV 4K 55", also known as Mi TV Q1 (Product Model: L55M6-EQG), has launched and will be sold at 55K from 21-Dec-2020.

Any comments on this TV and their weird terms.
I would avoid it.

Peak brightness of the screen has not been specified. So, like the TCL C715 if it is 350 nits, the HDR and Dolby Vision support become practically useless.

Also, there is HDMI 2.1 but no VRR, and the refresh rate is only 60Hz. This also makes the HDMI 2.1 feature useless for gamers.

The Samsung Frame is available for 20k more. That looks really good value for money instead.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:25   #9752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Samsung Frame is available for 20k more. That looks really good value for money instead.
Unfortunately, it is Tizen and not Android.
Old 18th December 2020, 13:15   #9753
Senior - BHPian

SONY 8K is here
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 14:43   #9754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Peak brightness of the screen has not been specified. So, like the TCL C715 if it is 350 nits, the HDR and Dolby Vision support become practically useless.
Found this very interesting article on the topic of Nits and HDR. Its a bit lengthy but worth a read. However I must admit, with all this knowledge I doubt I can make any worthy purchase.
Old 18th December 2020, 19:37   #9755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Yes, period. Sony is Rolls-Royce, Samsung/LG is Hyundai, the rest are Hero bicycles. That is the difference in overall experience.

Gone are the days when people bought a television once in a decade and were happy with paying a premium for a high end brand, also there were established pedigree brands like Grundig, Thomson, Panasonic, Sharp etc which were pretty close to Sony quality though by a big stretch. The Chinese have destroyed electronics globally today, specially Mi.

Sony is 10 leagues above Samsung, the rest, maybe by hundreds of trillions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I am in the same boat as you are, thus created this (The Budget / Frugal TV thread) thread. Please go thru it and do keep us posted on the final choice you make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
After using LG LED 47" from 2011-2019 ( had to replace board midway), I purchased MI FHD 49" in May '19 and Vu Premium 43" 4K in June' 20.

Have purchased extended Vu warranty for 2 yrs. apart from the standard warranty that comes bundled. Cost me INR 2,950/-

Coming to picture quality, Vu is far better than MI, but here the reason is that Vu is 4K. Sound quality in Vu is also very good.

I am satisfied with what MI has to offer in FHD category.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Last few days, I was busy doing research and made a purchase finally.

I went ahead with the Toshiba U7980 55 inch model at 48500 from reliance digital.

The reasons I went ahead with this model are -
1> only TV with FALD (full array local dimming) at < 90K. The other one is Sony X9000H at 94K.
2> 700 nits of brightness, again no other TV offers this at this price range.
3> reliance digital giving 3 years of warranty = peace of mind.

I would highly recommend hifivision.com for interested people, as there are some really knowledgeable people in that forum who are willing to help (like team bhp for electronics or gadgets).

This is my thread for your reference -
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/n...a-u7980.82480/

Also, this is the thread for TOshiba U7980 owners, which is extremely active. This TV has a big fan following and the reasons are very easy to understand.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/t...-review.81286/

Brief review - Awesome picture quality for the price. Some of the Dolby vision/HDR scenes really pop with high brightness and contrast (amazing black levels). I don't think any TV in this price range can match the picture quality of this TV, including the entry level models from Sony/Samsung or the cheaper brands like VU/Hisense/TCL/MI. if you want to match this kind of picture quality, you have to step up to the Sony X9000H, which costs almost double.

Cons? The only cons I can think of is the TV uses VIDAA OS, which is a light-weight Linux based OS, instead of ANdroid. While the OS is extremely fast and responsive, it lacks many of the popular Apps like Hotstar, Voot, Zee etc. Only Netflix, Primevideo and youtube are there. Toshiba has promised to bring the other popular Apps by Q1 2021, but I would recommend a streaming stick like Firetv stick 4K along with this TV.

The other issue is availability as it is unavailable in most of the pincodes. So, you can try your luck before it runs completely out of stock.

Hope it helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by adimicra : 18th December 2020 at 19:49.
adimicra is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 09:14   #9756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hope it helps, let me know if you have any questions.
JVC, Sharp and Sony were the big 3 earlier, followed by Toshiba and Panasonic, so yeah, great choice, as long as it isn't those other 2 letter brands I'm a happy man because I want those companies with a long legacy of quality, R&D and finesse to survive. Philips, Grundig and Thomson are the non-asian brands with that same legacy. However, Sony's obsession with real-life color reproduction alongwith their Bravia engine and X1 Processor is hard to beat by any brand, no contest, rest look cartoonish and over-bloated, of which Samsung is the king. Sometimes, less is more.
Old 21st December 2020, 14:17   #9757
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
JVC, Sharp and Sony were the big 3 earlier, followed by Toshiba and Panasonic, so yeah, great choice, as long as it isn't those other 2 letter brands I'm a happy man because I want those companies with a long legacy of quality, R&D and finesse to survive.
The legacy Toshiba is already dead. The Toshiba TVs are manufactured by Hisense. They have brought the entire Toshiba TV division and are milking the brand. It is almost like MG and SAIC.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:06   #9758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The legacy Toshiba is already dead. The Toshiba TVs are manufactured by Hisense. They have brought the entire Toshiba TV division and are milking the brand. It is almost like MG and SAIC.
Holy goddamn...Sony it is!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:37   #9759
BHPian

Only non Chinese brands I can think of quickly are Sony, panasonic + sanyo, Samsung and LG. Rest of the big brand names, like Philips, Toshiba, Thomson, RCA, kodak etc, have all been bought/licensed by Chinese manufacturers.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:24   #9760
Senior - BHPian

Aren't Philips TVs owned by TP Vision now? Based out of Netherlands?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:59   #9761
Senior - BHPian

Look at the 2020 market share in US. Samsung and LG are making lot of money compared to others. Last one covered by TBHP mark is Hisense.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2021-t...-hype-shrinks/
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-ustv-market-share.png  

Old 22nd December 2020, 13:39   #9762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Aren't Philips TVs owned by TP Vision now? Based out of Netherlands?
Yes. But TP Vision itself is owned by TPV Technology, a chinese company.
Comrade is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:45   #9763
BHPian

Sony procures va panels from samsung and ips/ oled from LG. All top tvs in various forums are from these 3 companies. So lg and samsung are at par with sony now if not ahead. They have beening catching up with sony in last decade nicely.
avimal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:33   #9764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Sony procures va panels from samsung and ips/ oled from LG. All top tvs in various forums are from these 3 companies. So lg and samsung are at par with sony now if not ahead. They have beening catching up with sony in last decade nicely.
On point. The best TVs in recent times are OLED from LG, Sony (LG Manufactured OLED) and Samsung's top-of-the-line QLED TVs. Sony does a fantastic job with respect to the picture quality and that's why they are so popular. Around Rs. 60k budget only Sony does a decent job at PQ as LG OLED and Samsung QLED prices start at Rs. 1L.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:37   #9765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
They have beening catching up with sony in last decade nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
On point. The best TVs in recent times are OLED from LG, Sony (LG Manufactured OLED)
Not quite true without digging further into the past :

Fact 1 - Sony made larger OLED displays (OLED mini-displays were invented by Kodak) for hospital scan requirements and professional 3D rendering a decade before LG and Samsung. I've used one, a 14 inch Sony in-house made OLED monitor, nothing can compare but it costed well over 1.5 lacs.

Fact 2 - Sony invented bendable OLED 2 decades ago.

Fact 3 - Sony and Samsung got into a joint-venture to manufacture LCD panels, but Sony pulled out, instead choosing to focus on entertainment and R&D rather than in production, since the Korean duo had anyway, flooded the market with their mediocre products at cheaper prices then.

Personally, LG and Samsung shouldn't even be mentioned alongside Sony, they are way too inferior to even matter, my friend bought a top of the line LG OLED for 3 odd lacs 3 years ago, my 70k 43 inch 4K Bravia just shatters it in terms of picture quality, realistic colors and eye-comfort, not to mention everything about the Sony feels more intuitive and easy to use, plus since his 60 inch LG has more screen area, it loses in pixel density and the color saturation is set to video-game levels, retina-busting cartoonish picture output. Samsung is just a joke, in everything.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks