Recent conversation with my wife:

I - We should buy a big tv
Wife - No
I - Why not?
Wife - Because our old TV is still working
I - [Speechless]
Wife - But we can think of buying a projector
I - [Speechless again]

Question to fellow members - is anyone using projector to stream OTT apps at home? What are downsides of going for a projector vs a TV? Is the picture quality the main reason not to go for a projector?

I searched for projectors on Amazon but the reviews are not confidence inspiring.
Old 16th May 2021, 11:58   #9857
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

Question to fellow members - is anyone using projector to stream OTT apps at home? What are downsides of going for a projector vs a TV? Is the picture quality the main reason not to go for a projector?

I searched for projectors on Amazon but the reviews are not confidence inspiring.
I have been using a Fire stick to stream onto our projector and home theatre system. It is fun to watch for events like cricket matches, but it is too overpowering to watch tv content. In my case we only use it once in 10-15 days to watch a movie. I am using a 720p hd Epson projector which is now 5-6 years old. The problem with projectors is that you need a completely dark room (even during day) and secondly the contrast ratio of projectors cannot match that of Any lcd or amoled tvs - they will always be more vibrant.
Thirdly a lot of tv content is still in Sd so if watch on a projector it will appear very pixelated and no fun to watch, while it still looks ok on TVs.
If you want a projector you can go for the Epson Tw series which is available in full HD and higher resolutions now.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 12:03   #9858
Senior - BHPian

I thought that HD projectors were more expensive than the current set of 4K 55" TV's.
Old 16th May 2021, 13:28   #9859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

You can use a projector but you’ll have to manage room lighting, precise projector mounting, invest in a proper background screen, a decent sound system and deal with periodic lamp replacements. All this if you want a decent viewing experience. Too much hassle for casual viewing if you ask me.

Better solutions are available in foreign countries. You get short throw laser projectors which provide a sharp and bright picture even in a well lit room. They are to be kept on a table top, just 6-12 inches from your wall/screen. And the life claimed is insane. But they are very expensive. A Xiaomi Mi laser projector costs over 3L, if you can procure from Singapore or Australia.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th May 2021 at 13:31.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 14:32   #9860
BHPian

Started exploring 50-55 inch 4K Smart TVs.

First question is Android or not? or being more specific, How proprietary Operating Systems of LG and Samsung are in comparison to Android?

Initially started search with Android only so Sony (around 60K) and relatively newer brands like VU, OnePlus and MI (Around or below 40K) are candidates, two major mainstream brands LG and Samsung are left.

I have seen some good opinions of LG's WebOS in this thread and elsewhere but only concern is future apps (OTT primary) and casting/mirroring from phone. in a Sony TV with Linux based OS in family, have observed that casting is not as seamless as Chromecast with my current non Smart TV.
Old 17th June 2021, 15:59   #9861
Team-BHP Support

I have 1.5-year-old Vu 55 inch Android TV. Everything is good for the price but the sound quality. It is terrible, so please factor in the cost of sound enhancement if you purchase a Vu.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 17:21   #9862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Started exploring 50-55 inch 4K Smart TVs.

First question is Android or not? or being more specific, How proprietary Operating Systems of LG and Samsung are in comparison to Android?

Initially started search with Android only so Sony (around 60K) and relatively newer brands like VU, OnePlus and MI (Around or below 40K) are candidates, two major mainstream brands LG and Samsung are left.

I have seen some good opinions of LG's WebOS in this thread and elsewhere but only concern is future apps (OTT primary) and casting/mirroring from phone. in a Sony TV with Linux based OS in family, have observed that casting is not as seamless as Chromecast with my current non Smart TV.
If it helps, I picked up the Hisense 55" Tornado about 3 weeks back at 41k from Reliance Digital. There was a promo offer then for 4 year warranty which sealed the deal for me. As a happy user of many VU TV's over the past 5 years and VU's are nothing but rebranded Hisense TV's I knew that the panel would be good. The display is really good with good colour reproduction and nice deep blacks. 4k content is really a treat to watch.

It has all the Dolby formats supported which the LG's and Samsung's will not support in their entry level range. Most of Netflix's 4k content is with Dolby vision and it definitely makes a difference even though I have read that true HDR / Dolby vision needs atleast 800-1000 nits of panel brightness.

The 102w JBL soundbar is good for a TV speaker but still not a substitute for a proper audio system. I anyway had my Sony soundar, so sound was never a priority. The fabric covered speaker gives the TV a very nice premium look though.

Hisense being a sponsor of the Euro 2020 has the 4 year warranty back again till the 21st, so do check it out if it makes sense to you.

General question on Dolby vision to everyone - The default Dolby vision setting has a very 'warm' tone and makes everything look a little yellowish. Luckily there is a custom setting where one can adjust the settings, but I was wondering why this is the default ? I read online that it's like this to make it closer to how it would look on a cinema screen ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 17th June 2021 at 17:24.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:44   #9863
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, again looking to purchase a 55" TV. Any reviews about the new OnePlus units launched at great prices? I can get a 55" for 45K after discounts during this launch week.
Old 18th June 2021, 18:54   #9864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I can get a 55" for 45K after discounts during this launch week.
Chinese products are worth a quarter of what you pay for, as a BMW owner I think you should own nothing less than a Sony, the Rolls-Royce of televisions, a size smaller if your budget is strict but a Sony nonetheless.

I'll always own fewer stuff but of the highest quality per segment.

I can never understand this forums absolute fascination with Chinese goods, the same forum that bashes any car lesser than the Germans, a strong contrast in my view.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 19:34   #9865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Chinese products are worth a quarter of what you pay for, as a BMW owner I think you should own nothing less than a Sony, the Rolls-Royce of televisions, a size smaller if your budget is strict but a Sony nonetheless.
Your point well taken but horses for courses . We rarely watch TV even though we have 3 in the house. This one MAY see more usage but even then personally I expect to watch this set for max 2 hours a week!

For example, the cheapest 2020 Sony on Amazon is : https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-Ce...tronics&sr=1-2

The cheapest model is a 2019 one:
https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-in...tronics&sr=1-1
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 19:39   #9866
BHPian

I received my 2021 Samsung Frame 43inch today from Flipkart. Will be installed tomorrow.
Old 18th June 2021, 19:44   #9867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your point well taken but horses for courses . We rarely watch TV even though we have 3 in the house. This one MAY see more usage but even then personally I expect to watch this set for max 2 hours a week!
If that's the price difference, I'll buy both televisions together, the brand equity itself is a billion times greater.

They'll have to pay me to buy anything Chinese, and I don't take chump change, trillions of dollars may work.
Old 18th June 2021, 21:57   #9868
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For example, the cheapest 2020 Sony on Amazon is : https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-Ce...tronics&sr=1-2

You can find Samsung and LG 55 inchers for about 50k. Might turn out to be the perfect middle ground.

So basically you may end up not owning the Rolls Royce of the TVs but with a Samsung or LG, you will definitely be owning a BMW equivalent of the Television world.

P.S. Apologies for the cheesy post The last few posts got me in the mood.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 22:55   #9869
BHPian

My 8 year old 32 inch Sony LCD TV got some display issue. Planning to buy a new one from Amazon/flipkart since I don't want to visit showrooms in the current covid situation. Also there is lockdown in Kerala during the weekends. Main usage will be for HD/SD channels and little bit of youtube and Amazon prime. I am thinking about getting a 50 or 55 inch one.

The question I have is whether the SD channels will have a decent display in such big TVs. Can anyone using big TVs help
Old 19th June 2021, 06:03   #9870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This model is at 59900 today at Amazon. You may want to check this out. With a few thousand more, the Sony will give you a better experience.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks