The TV turns ON.

Is power supply ok ?
Old 9th July 2018, 23:56   #8657
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Is power supply ok ?
Yes, the Screen Turns On with whitish backlight. Also the Remote Control Sensor responds to inputs from Remote (the Red LED glows on pressing button on Remote.

When I inserted Pen Drive in USB Slot, the reading light (USB Accessing Light on Pen Drive) was blinking. But nothing was seen on the screen.
Pressing Menu, Settings did not give any result other than Red LED glowing.

The SMPS did not have any visible burnt part either.
Unable to differentiate between the Power Supply Board (SMPS) and Motherboard

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 9th July 2018 at 23:58.
Old 10th July 2018, 00:32   #8658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Our LG 3D Smart LED TV has malfunctioned (or is it?).
Why I advice everyone to stay away from smart TVs. Just like mobile phones they will become laggy and eventually die out in around 2 years. Either the hardware or the software will fail, that's not even a chance it's a sure thing.

Get a full HD TV, pair it with a smart box and you are golden. It will last way more than any smart TV on the horizon and would provide an even better experience. I have been using M8S Pro android smart TV box and it's been almost 1.5 years of a wonderful experience. And those ultra high defination 8GB blue ray movies look absolutely breath taking on my humble BPL 40 inch LED TV bought 2.5 years ago. When I connect it to the projector and monitors people awe in wonder how such small device can do such incredible things. And god forbid if a day comes when it fails I will still have a working TV, and if TV fails the smart part would stay alive.
Old 10th July 2018, 09:15   #8659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
When I inserted Pen Drive in USB Slot, the reading light (USB Accessing Light on Pen Drive) was blinking.

Call LG repair shops in Mumbai. They should have stock of replacement Chinese boards. It would cost around 3k - 5k.

How much is LG quoting for the board ? They can ship in couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Why I advice everyone to stay away from smart TVs. Just like mobile phones they will become laggy and eventually die out in around 2 years.

This part is common across all kind of TVs (Even Plasma). Every digital TV needs a board that does video processing and drives the panel.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:45   #8660
BHPian

Quote:
This part is common across all kind of TVs (Even Plasma). Every digital TV needs a board that does video processing and drives the panel.
I know, that is even true for the traditional TVs with picture tube. You missed the point here, all I was suggesting was that smart TVs have high failure points in comparison to normal LED TVs. So, buy a normal LED TV and pair it with smart TV box, and they both will have a longer life span than a smart LED TV and provide a better overall experience than the Smart LED TV.
Old 10th July 2018, 17:41   #8661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all I was suggesting was that smart TVs have high failure points in comparison to normal LED TVs.

This should not be the case, smart TVs have just one additional SOC on the same board. MTBF of these SOCs are not different from other SOCs like Video Processor / Interface handler etc.

Quote:
So, buy a normal LED TV and pair it with smart TV box,.

Agree, this is the most optimal choice. Chomecast / Fire TV adds the same functionality to any TV.
Old 10th July 2018, 18:57   #8662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
buy a normal LED TV and pair it with smart TV box, and they both will have a longer life span than a smart LED TV and provide a better overall experience than the Smart LED TV.
Where do you get a normal TV? Nowadays all the options are smart tv only. For Ex Sony has non smart TV only in 3 sizes, the largest being 32". I am more worried about the software becoming obsolete, companies are not going to provide updates for 10-15 years.
Old 10th July 2018, 20:15   #8663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I am more worried about the software becoming obsolete, companies are not going to provide updates for 10-15 years.

Agree, I am also concerned about vulnerabilities in something that is listening to everything 24x7 in living rooms.

Its better to use these TVs as just "Display Panels" and attach Chromecast / FireTV. These devices will have better security and update policies.

TVs should not be connected directly to WiFi / LAN.
Old 13th July 2018, 17:24   #8664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
I am contemplating buying the IFFALCON 55 in 4K TV. Anybody using the TV here, reviews ? Do we have any other 55 inch options within 50K ?
I bought one a couple of weeks back and have been using it for last 2 weeks. My criteria for buying it was a

1. Set a budget - 45-50 K
2. Buy the biggest display i can add in my living room

Whats good about this TV?

1. Is an Android tv (I think 7 and may be upgraded to Oreo) and is a very familiar interface for me.

2. Is a decent IPS Panel

3. 2 Remotes and the bluetooth remote is a solidly built and has voice control

4. Has enough inputs to connect most of what a regular home entertainment setup would have and more.

5. I read that it has a little better panel than the MI Tv Panel something about 8 Bit vs 10 Bit panel

6. Comes with the Wall Mount in the box.

7. To my layman and a little colour deficient sighted eyes, the HDR and 4K videos have amazing clarity. I was watching Shrek on HD from tata sky and that looked very nice too.

Whats not good

1. Technically is not the brightest backlight but having said that i turned down the backlighting brightness and it still fine in my decently bright living space.

2. Has 2 remotes and for some reason shuts down completely with the IR Remote, I have set it to go to sleep and it does work correctly if i power it down using the bluetooth remote. But with the other remote It takes 30 - 45 secs to boot if completely powered down. ( i think its a setting i am missing)

3. 60HZ refresh rate- Its considered low on the UHD 4K panels, but unless or until you are watching games like foot ball with a lot of movement its fine. Even then its a bit of artifacts that is the trouble.

4. I don't think it does a good upscaling job of SD TV.

Would i recommend it- Yes I would because

- The closest competitors are VU, Thompson, MI and some generic named TV's like Daiwa, Aiwa , (Put any other equivalent here)

- VU is more expensive when comparing the real estate which you get for the money and I did not like the aesthetics of its Android tv with a Big Chin

- I could not buy the MI Tv the one time i tried and i did not try again.

- TCL has decent reviews in the North American market and Amazon US has it in one of the best selling Budget TV segments (For its ROKU and better specced versions) and this is basically and sub brand for TCL.

I basically think buying a Budget UHD tv in above 40 inches is a Crap Shoot and preferences would change every week. Today i saw and add for a 55 inch 4k Daiwa tv for 35 K with Android 4.4 (But i would probably would still have bought the TCL Again)

Hope this helps.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:04   #8665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
I bought one a couple of weeks back and have been using it for last 2 weeks.
Thanks for your review. I am also considering buying a 4k 55 TV and i am able to secure a good deal for a TCL TV from BestPrice. They are offering a TCL 55p6US for 43999 which is cheaper than the iFfalcon. The body design is also better but it kind of lacks in the Smart Department as i doesn't have the pure Google experience.

i'm still considering this as i'm mostly going to connect an Apple TV to the TV for all the streaming content. and a PS4 for gaming.

what do you think is 55p6us a better buy than ifFalcon

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th July 2018 at 10:41. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 16th July 2018, 17:55   #8666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post

what do you think is 55p6us a better buy than ifFalcon
The only difference between the 2 is the SMART TV part, and has one HDMI less than the IFFALCON

It also is much thinner than the Iffaclon. There is not much other technical details regarding the panel type or color gamut etc.

BTW there is a AMAZON sale for tcl smart tv that gives you a 32 inch for one rupee more in a few mins
Old 16th July 2018, 18:53   #8667
BHPian

Looking through all the comments I'm thinking of getting just a display unit with the usual inputs - like a computer monitor albeit bigger in size and use it with firestick or something similar. Is there any full HD display units available in sizes upwards of 43"?

Another questionl - I have zeroed in on Sony X7500E series 43" and LGUJ632T 50" - both at the same price range of 60k. I'm inclined towards Sony but hey bigger screen is always better Any feedback on either of these TVs are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 16th July 2018, 22:17   #8668
BHPian

Quote:

Agree, this is the most optimal choice. Chomecast / Fire TV adds the same functionality to any TV.
You would tend to miss out on 4K content. And buying a 4k enabled OTT devices are expensive. I agree with the updates - the TVs are a problem. Another problem for me is that most Smart TVs have pathetic interfaces.

I have seen Samsung & LG - Horrible interfaces, pathetic remotes but you are stuck with them. Sony has a good remote but a pathetic interface.

Also most of the TVs use LAN, which is far more stable with overheads than wifi dongles. Yeah, so a lot of confusion.

I was in the market for a new TV, atleast 55 inch and up. After going through all of it, I eventually bought a Toshiba 55 inch HD rather than a smart TV. It too has a pathetic interface, even for a non smart TV. I just have too many of these OTT devices, each serving a different purpose. Right now paired with a fire TV & WD TV. Also the TV was damn cheap - it will serve the purpose for a year, after which I might use it in the basement for a secondary device.
Old 17th July 2018, 10:14   #8669
BHPian

Alexa Enabled:
I had bought android sony tv (8200 E) last year. This month I tried and found that Alexa is enabled now. You can switch on and off and volume up down works by voice command. Overall a happy experience with this sony TV,
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:52   #8670
BHPian

Thanks. So i finally picked up the 55P6US from best Price for 44k taking into considering 28% GST ITC it costed me around 34k.

Pretty happy with the quality so far. Not so bothered about the Smart TV stuff because
1- I'm soon going to hook up an Apple TV4k for all the smart Stuff.
2- NetFlix is working just fine
3- Already hooked up to a PS4 for Amazon Prime

One negative is the clarity of vocals, the speakers are decently loud. but a Sound Bar or a 5.1 should fix that in due course of time.

So all in all pretty satisfied

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks