Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 15:11   #8536
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I would buy it if I was in the market for a tv..
Well iam definitely in the market!

Price and design combo is mouth-watering.

Old 14th February 2018, 15:15   #8537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Xiaomi Mi TV 4 55-inch launched at 39,999/-
Worth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I would buy it if I was in the market for a tv. I have a number of Xiaomi devices for home automation, security, energy saving etc and they are amazing.
And it's 4K too! Its wafer thin too! What a great deal this is! I am tempted. I read that it is an existing model selling in china. Any reviews of the same? I was looking at a Samsung set 49" retailing at 69K. This is much cheaper.

Last edited by saket77 : 14th February 2018 at 15:23.
Old 14th February 2018, 16:08   #8538
BHPian

55 inches for 40K, that too slim and 4K ? OMG!!

I was looking to buy one and got quotes no less than 90k for Samsungs/LGs and Sony's.

Waiting for a review to get my hands on.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:07   #8539

I have a US-bought 2016 Sony 55” LED TV that’s gone bad after less than 500 hours of viewing. The Sony service center technician says the panel needs to be replaced, which is approx 40% of the cost of a new TV. Waiting for the exact quote.

Does anyone know of a reliable TV repair shop or person near Jayanagar Bangalore? Have read online threads about how official service centres rip you and based on the troubleshooting that the technician did, I am not convinced about the replacement. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:33   #8540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMonk View Post
The Sony service center technician says the panel needs to be replaced, which is approx 40% of the cost of a new TV.
In my experience from Chennai, the sony technicians are very capable and do a good job. They do component level repair and do not insist on panel change unless necessary. If you send me a pic and symptoms I can ask the sony technician who fixed my TV, his opinion.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:22   #8541
BHPian

Amazing price for what's on offer:

https://www.flipkart.com/mi-led-4k-s...levision-store

If someone is planning to buy, don't forget the 10% instant discount using HDFC cards.
Old 19th February 2018, 17:13   #8542
BHPian

Other than the cost, how does the newly launched Mi TV compare against the Vu TVs, the following model in particular?
https://www.flipkart.com/vu-140-cm-5...k1519040268700

Should I be concerned that the Youtube and Netflix apps are not available on Mi? Will a chromecast solve these problems for me? Is it worth spending 10K extra for Vu TV (assuming everything else is comparable) to get the ability to install apps of my choice on the TV?
My apologies in advance if my questions sound silly, I am a bit noob as far as smart TVs are concerned.
Old 19th February 2018, 18:13   #8543
BHPian

Very less numbers of MI TV will be available when it goes on sale on 22nd. So be better prepared if you want to grab one. 😋
Old 19th February 2018, 18:17   #8544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Other than the cost, how does the newly launched Mi TV compare against the Vu TVs, the following model in particular?

Should I be concerned that the Youtube and Netflix apps are not available on Mi? Will a chromecast solve these problems for me? Is it worth spending 10K extra for Vu TV (assuming everything else is comparable) to get the ability to install apps of my choice on the TV?
My apologies in advance if my questions sound silly, I am a bit noob as far as smart TVs are concerned.
I am getting this TV. Most of my viewing happens in Netflix and Amazon. But that does not bother me as I use Amazon Fire stick anyway. You can buy it, it only costs 3999 on Amazon. I am satisfied with it and you can have all the apps that you want barring Official youtube app, but Amazon has given a workaround for it. Same is the case with Mi TV.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:22   #8545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Amazing price for what's on offer:

https://www.flipkart.com/mi-led-4k-s...levision-store

If someone is planning to buy, don't forget the 10% instant discount using HDFC cards.
Where is the offer mentioned on HDFC cards?
Old 21st February 2018, 13:41   #8546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have the 49" HD version of the same. Other than the pre-installed Netflix and Youtube, there is nothing great about this Smart Vu on the smartness level.

It is as dumb and dull as the Opera Store and a real pain to use. The remote does have direct Netflix and YouTube launcher buttons.

The quality of panel and viewing is definitely quite comparable to much better known brands though.

Vu used to have Android Smart TVs, though with Android 4.2 version, which they stopped. They were atleast better on Smartness but pain to use for YouTube and other things, much limited on internal disk space and limited by lack of official Android version.

A Chromecast or Amazon stick would be much better coupled with a normal (non-Smart) Vu TV.

Last edited by parsh : 21st February 2018 at 13:44.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:53   #8547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
A Chromecast or Amazon stick would be much better coupled with a normal (non-Smart) Vu TV.
+1

If anyone is tight on a budget, I'd always recommend getting a non-smart TV from Samsung/LG and then a stick to make it smart. That way, you can ensure your TV is always up to date capability-wise by getting the smartest stick.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:06   #8548
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the replies.
So the verdict here seems to be that a chromecast/fire stick + non-smart TV is better than a smart TV. Can the same be said for the chromecast + smart TV combination too? I am asking this because that is the only option on offer from Mi.
Old 21st February 2018, 15:02   #8549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Where is the offer mentioned on HDFC cards?
Under the heading: Mi TV 4- Buy 'world's thinnest LED TV' at best prices on Flipkart

Search for HDFC in the link that I provided in my post.

Last edited by smartindboy : 21st February 2018 at 15:04. Reason: corrected info
Old 21st February 2018, 15:13   #8550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Under the heading: Mi TV 4- Buy 'world's thinnest LED TV' at best prices on Flipkart

Search for HDFC in the link that I provided in my post.
Thanks, read the info. Not sure how many units are in stock.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies.
So the verdict here seems to be that a chromecast/fire stick + non-smart TV is better than a smart TV. Can the same be said for the chromecast + smart TV combination too? I am asking this because that is the only option on offer from Mi.
I am only looking for the picture quality and least bothered about the Patchwall, WebOS, Android TV since have a Apple TV which takes care of the smartness. In the same league, a fire stick or chromecast could easily do the trick.

55" 4k for 36K (10% instant discount on HDFC), deal cant be sweeter than this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks