Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 17:03   #8461
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

I am using a Sony LED 32" TV connected to my Yamaha HT. Other devices connected to the HT are Airtel STB, Apple TV, PS3. My Yamaha controls everything through HDMI.

Off late, i am seeing a message in the TV "TV speakers active due to audio system communication failure". Dont think the TV speakers get activated but when it is on mute, the mute turns off after this message. After 2 seconds, get a message "Audio system active"

Tried changing the HDMI to no avail. Any other suggestions apart from a master reset?
Old 27th September 2017, 17:14   #8462
BHPian

I think the current breed of TV's are not made to last or their fall out rate must be higher. I had a Samsung plasma 50", which conked off twice in 3 years. I had extended warranty. The last failure ofcouse Samsung took the TV back and gave a cheque for ~30% purchase price as they have stopped making Plasma

So this time I went in for Panasonic just because Sony is just a bit more expensive! while Panasonic is known for reliability of their product, I am not too sure of their customer service. I have a washing machine , which has a power cable which is shorter than most others. On the TV front, when you wall mount the TV it is difficult to access 2 of the HDMI ports, optical outs, components cable etc. They just have 2 usb & 1 HDMI on the side! Anyhow these are some nuisance. As long as the picture is good, lasts long...I am good. And it is not Chinese
Old 27th September 2017, 18:47   #8463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have a Panasonic Plasma at home which stopped working around 6 months back. They are not able to get parts of their own TV, and offered replacement LED TV at a cost higher than it's market price. Their customer service is poor!
I have a Panasonic plasma 42 inch since 5 years, so far not a single complaint. I moved to VU 50 inch 4K just for the convenience of watching 4K content from YouTube, connectivity to my other 4K devices etc. Plasma is up for grabs, may be you can take mine for fraction of a new TV ! Its kept on the floor, uninstalled from the wall, without any specific agenda on its disposal plans as of today !

BTW, it was connected to a heavy duty Adya servo stabilizer and the delivery executive had told me 5 years back "this stabilizer will last you more than your Plasma TV" and his words are 100% true ! He had told me it has fish oil in it, I dont know the technicals on that part
Old 27th September 2017, 19:03   #8464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Plasma is up for grabs, may be you can take mine for fraction of a new TV ! Its kept on the floor, uninstalled from the wall, without any specific agenda on its disposal plans as of today !
Sent you a pm for the plasma.
Old 27th September 2017, 21:42   #8465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Even more disappointing is the after sales. The Panasonic guys flatly said that they do not have motherboard for the same and offered to buy back the TV for Rs 15000.
Wow! You have been offered 15K for a 6+ year old plasma of Panasonic!!

Hope, we would get similar offers for our plasma sets!
Old 28th September 2017, 08:45   #8466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Panasonic plasma 42 inch since 5 years, so far not a single complaint. I moved to VU 50 inch 4K just for the convenience of watching 4K content from YouTube, connectivity to my other 4K devices etc. Plasma is up for grabs, may be you can take mine for fraction of a new TV ! Its kept on the floor, uninstalled from the wall, without any specific agenda on its disposal plans as of today
I think fordday already sent you a PM regarding plasma.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:17   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have a Panasonic Plasma at home which stopped working around 6 months back.
Quote:
I don't know which Panasonic TV you are considering, but my Panasonic 50" Plasma TV purchased in 2011, conked off(motherboard issue).
I think both of you faced issue with the Plasma and more so because they stopped manufacturing Plasma sets later.

I am considering only a simple LED. Not an LCD, not a plasma and not even a smart TV

Quote:
Very disappointed that the TV gave away in only 6 years. Will be going for a new VU 50" LED 4k with HDR in the next couple of days.
You are talking about 6 years? I would say its a really good life. My LG LED purchased at a very high price conked off within a week after the warranty got over. I just happened to view the reviews for the TV and many others have mentioned about the same problem that I faced, that too in the same time frame (almost immediately after warranty got over). This definitely cant be a coincidence that many TVs are failing as soon as the warranty of 1 year is getting over. If my TV lasted 6 years I wouldnt bat an eyelid in changing it. Anyway, thanks to that experience, I took an extended warranty for the new Panasonic when I purchased the TV

One more thing, while VU is cheap please do check with after sales because it might be cheap but at the end of the day is still an electronic gadget. Another piece of advice, please take the extended warranty. Doesnt cost much, and the peace of mind that comes with it is priceless and complimentary too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
So this time I went in for Panasonic just because Sony is just a bit more expensive! while Panasonic is known for reliability of their product
I hope that your words are true because if my Panasonic doesnt last, henceforth I will be going for the cheapest TV available out there which fulfills my requirements irrespective of the brand. I still feel a slight heart burn this time that I did not choose VU, which would have costed me 8K less in the sale. Thanks to the constant reminder from Home Minister on the word called "Brand" though I still think why did I fall for it after my experience with LG. Have time until 2nd October to take a call on returning the Panasonic and going for a VU, albeit a slightly higher price that what it was in the sale but still cheaper that what Panasonic was selling for in the sale

Quote:
I have a Panasonic plasma 42 inch since 5 years, so far not a single complaint.
I think in electronics no one can predict how it will behave for you. What failed for others, is working excellently for you
Old 28th September 2017, 11:18   #8468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I think in electronics no one can predict how it will behave for you. What failed for others, is working excellently for you
I remember one of the team bhpians had strongly suggested me a servo stabilizer that time because I had a home theater, vcd player and the plasma all into one power outlet. I strongly feel the life of these items heavily depend on the wild voltage fluctuations which a cheaper stabilizer can't manage. So it was worth spending around 10k because none of these devices stopped working till date. Now my VU 4K and the airtel HD are connected to it.
Old 8th October 2017, 09:32   #8469
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need help with a small query. I have a LG LED TV, a TATA SKY HD box and a Sony Home Theater System. Currently there is a HDMI cable which goes from TATA SKY to the TV. Is it possible to connect the home theater system so that I can get audio from the Sony system rather than the TV?
Old 8th October 2017, 12:42   #8470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help with a small query. I have a LG LED TV, a TATA SKY HD box and a Sony Home Theater System. Currently there is a HDMI cable which goes from TATA SKY to the TV. Is it possible to connect the home theater system so that I can get audio from the Sony system rather than the TV?
The tata sky box should have a digital and/or optical audio out and your home theater should also have a digital audio in( depends on the model though). So if you get an optical/digital audio cable and connect you will get the audio to the home theater.
Old 8th October 2017, 13:50   #8471
BHPian

Hello guy's.

I'm not sure if this is the right place but my aunt is interested in buying an OLED TV(55 inch) from Bangkok. She have a couple of known people there who gave us the current rates , which are almost half price as compared to India. She is mostly interested in LG OLED TV and if not available for the right price then Samsung, Sony is out of contention unless there is some massive clearance sale going on.

We have someone in Mumbai customs who assured us that we won't be paying too much of duty and they will calculate duty on the TV invoice from Bangkok and not the current Indian price.

Even after taking into consideration TV cost plus duty and transport fees it's still way cheaper. Any tips or recommendations on how best to import a TV? The model we are looking at is lg 55C7T Which is doesn't have the extra speakers which the 55E7T has.

Regards
Old 8th October 2017, 17:25   #8472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
. Any tips or recommendations on how best to import a TV? The model we are looking at is lg 55C7T Which is doesn't have the extra speakers which the 55E7T has.
my brother is getting me a 49" sony 4k next weekend from KL. The size is due to his airline restriction of tvs not to exceed 50". The duty they usually calculate on the invoice price and one can haggle a bit on arrival. My colleagues cousin got him a 55" from Dubai for a duty of 18k. The customs officer reduced the invoice value to 70k instead of the real 90k. Will update once I get my TV in hand.
It is better to get it through someone you know is coming or for OLED it might be cheap even if you fly in and get it yourself.
Old 8th October 2017, 20:51   #8473
BHPian

Hi guys, it is 2 weeks since I bought my Panasonic 55" for 128K. Today Panasonic has come out with an ad for the same TV at 101K

I think at this price it is a steal, as it also comes with a floor standing speaker!

I went to Pai store from where I had brought my TV, they are now quoting 110K! I had a similar experience earlier with Pai, where after I buy the item, the cost had come down in other shops. When I casually mentioned it to the sales guy, he said, if the price comes down within 3 weeks, they will offer the difference provided you get the quote. Not sure how much true it is. There is nothing like that now when I enquired!
Old 9th October 2017, 06:45   #8474
Senior - BHPian

I had bought a Pioneer Kuro 428 Plasma in 2008 based on the advice of my friend reignofchaos here and fortunately it still works as of now though the remote stopped working for a week some months ago.
Old 9th October 2017, 08:56   #8475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

You should have an audio out on the TV. Connect that to the home theatre.

Most Viewed