Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 09:52   #9406
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Have a panasonic plasma for the last 12 years. Touchwood its running fine. As many of the comments mentioned above, the picture quality is unmatched with any TV below the 50K bracket. OLED is too good but pricey. Not looking to change unless this one bites the dust.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:17   #9407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I too have a Samsung Plasma from 2013. Probably the same model. This has developed 3-4 lines near one of the sides. It is not progressing rapidly so we are okay to watch it with the lines.

Please keep us updated on whether Samsung was able to help you on repairing it.
Even I had a 51 inch Samsung Plasma which I used for 8 good years. Since Jan 2019 it had also developed a couple of lines on sides. I called Samsung for repairing but they confirmed that plasma tvs are obsoleted and no longer available in India. Even if display panel is available by chance, the cost will be as much as the TV which I bought 8 years ago, hence I chucked the idea of repairing and continued to use as long as possible.

However mid of Aug 19 some new lines started appearing in the middle of the screen, and the tint also became a little pinkish. Finally I decide to get rid of it and replaced with 55 inch VU Android TV.

I love plasma screens because of their ability to display deeper blacks. Unfortunately Plasma Tvs are no longer available.

BTW I had bought a smaller VU LED tv at same time I bought Samsung Plasma for another room, which is running perfectly till date.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 19th June 2020 at 11:27.
Old 19th June 2020, 13:08   #9408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
TV was delivered today. Installation will most probably happen tomorrow.

Had also ordered another display from Amazon, which too got delivered today.
Both, the 43" Vu Premium 4K TV and the 24" BenQ FHD are fabulous, and worth every penny.

There's sufficient literature available online for both these models, so I will not add to the redundancy, however, any specific questions are welcome.

Just need a quick help - what is the best way to maintain the screens for TVs and large monitors?

Can you please suggest ways/items to periodically wipe the screen?

I assume a good quality micro fibre cloth is sufficient to wipe the plastic/fibre body.

Thanks in advance.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:24   #9409
BHPian

During this lock-down, I had multiple electronic items in my house malfunctioning. Just yesterday, my LG 42 inch LED TV, bought in 2011 developed a weird problem. The TV functions normally for 15-20 minutes and then the display goes off while the audio is still working. I switch off the main TV and the same cycle repeats when the main switch is put on.

I called a LG technician and he quoted a figure for 11k for repairing the TV. I do not think it makes sense to spend so much for a 9 year old TV. The technician himself advised me to buy a new TV rather than repairing the existing one.

So, I have now started my hunt for a new TV. I am looking for a dumb TV (40-50 inch in size) as I already have Chromecast and Firestick. I am fine if I do not have dedicated steaming Netflix/Amazon buttons on the TV remote.

I started my preliminary research on Amazon/Flipkart and got overwhelmed by the number of choices. This is a primary TV for the living room hence a bit hesitant to try out budget brands.

Any particular suggestions?
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 21:59   #9410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So, I have now started my hunt for a new TV. I am looking for a dumb TV (40-50 inch in size)

Any particular suggestions?
I am using VU 40" Full HD LED TV from last 5 years, bought in 2015 from Flipkart for ₹19k. Picture quality is comparable to Samsung or LG TVs of similar specifications. It had a 1 year warranty and I had also bought 2 years extended warranty since I wasn't sure of the brand, but absolutely no issues since purchase.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 10:37   #9411
Senior - BHPian

Long time here as well. Panasonic plasma is the best (like Sony Trintron of yore). Ours is 2007-8 model. Barring the panel thickness everything looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Have a panasonic plasma for the last 12 years. Touchwood its running fine. As many of the comments mentioned above, the picture quality is unmatched with any TV below the 50K bracket. OLED is too good but pricey. Not looking to change unless this one bites the dust.
Old 21st June 2020, 11:02   #9412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
During this lock-down, I had multiple electronic items in my house malfunctioning. Just yesterday, my LG 42 inch LED TV, bought in 2011 developed a weird problem. The TV functions normally for 15-20 minutes and then the display goes off while the audio is still working. I switch off the main TV and the same cycle repeats when the main switch is put on.
It may be that some component is failing in the TV due to overheating. Check if there is sufficient airflow at the rear of the TV. You can easily check it by running the TV with AC on.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 13:57   #9413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I am using VU 40" Full HD LED TV from last 5 years, bought in 2015 from Flipkart for ₹19k. Picture quality is comparable to Samsung or LG TVs of similar specifications.
Thanks for the suggestion! I do have a VU tv in one of our rooms and the TV is performing well. The sound quality of the VU is not good but it works for us as the usage is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It may be that some component is failing in the TV due to overheating. Check if there is sufficient airflow at the rear of the TV. You can easily check it by running the TV with AC on.
I did that but the problem still persists.

We went ahead and bought another LG TV (model: Ultra HD (4K) LED Smart TV - 50UM7290PTD).
Old 21st June 2020, 20:07   #9414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
i am looking for a 75 inch and above TV (to wall mount). I know sky is the limit to spend on these things, with newer features coming up every day.
Then i came across TCL Tv's -
75" for 1.2L (2018 model)https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/c2/c2-75.html

Does any one use TCL TV's? TCL is providing 3 years warranty on the 85" model. How is the picture quality. So basically i would be needing a 4K TV with HDR 10 (and above, if possible), HDCP 2.2, Wifi (Dual Band, if possible), Optical out for Atmos HT..
I bough this TCL 75 inch TV in Jan 2019 and I absolutely love it. It does support HDR 10 but I believe it isn't true HDR10 as the brightness is only 350 nits whereas you supposedly need 1000 nits for true HDR. You do get a notification stating HDR 10 video is playing so it can decode it without issues. Here is my review on Amazon that provides some details:
The television far exceeded my expectations. The picture quality is superb. It displays 4k video flawlessly from Netflix, YouTube or usb drives. The clarity, colour reproduction and sharpness are unbelievable. The picture quality is at least 5 times better than my 60 inch VU 1080p TV. Every image is incredibly immersive and life like. The colours pop out of the screen.

The Harmon Kardon soudbar in the TV produces rich and high quality sound. I have removed my dedicated soudbar which was used with my earlier TV. I have done extensive picture quality comparison with Sony and Samsung TVs and this TV seems to match them. In addition, the TV can play virtually any file type which is lacking on Sony and Samsung. The Android interface is super smooth with no lag and the built in file manager and Media Center are good as well. The TV comes with 2 remotes. One of them is voice enabled and has air mouse function. Voice recognition is very good and you can find YouTube or Netflix movies easily by doing a voice search. In addition it has Chromecast built in so you can stream from any device. The contrast and brightness are amazing. Blacks are super dark. The TV plays HDR content very well.

On the negative side, the TV gets a little hot on the back if you stream 4k for a long time in hot weather. It doesn't affect its performance in any way though. Still, I turn on a portable fan on its back for a few minutes after each hour There are a few areas of backlight bleeding but you can only see them in total darkness. You can't see them during normal usage. I have seem worse bleeding on Sony and Samsung TVs so this is normal for large screen TVs.

In summary this TV is a great value for money. You get great picture quality, great sound and all the smart features at less than half the price.

Note: Vu 75 inch 4k is listed on Amazon at just 87k which makes it a great deal!!

Last edited by Lobogris : 21st June 2020 at 20:13.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:43   #9415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Guys, my wife and I are planning to move into our new thoughts and suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I bough t deal!!
I got a 65" one on Diwali, and have been REALLY using it for the last three months. I have a Sony 49" or some similar size in another room, used to be my primary one. There a certain lack of rich colours in the tcl as compared to the Sony, but you really need to a videophile (?) to notice. Fiddling with a few settings in the tcl fixed that issue.
Second, ever since I've begun buying the flat thin Tvs, this is the first one where the sound is brilliant without adding on a soundbar. The croma guys gave me a Samsung 3 speaker setup for free with the TV, but it's still in the box. All my other Tvs before this had to be connected to my stereo through aux or bt for an acceptable sound.
So, satisfied altogether.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:55   #9416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I got a 65" one on Diwali, and have been REALLY using it for the last three months. I have a Sony 49" or some similar size in another room, used to be my primary one. There a certain lack of rich colours in the tcl as compared to the Sony, but you really need to a videophile (?) to notice. Fiddling with a few settings in the tcl fixed that issue.
My review is limited to thr 75 inch model. Not all TCL TVs have the same quality. For instance, I bought a 55 inch TCL this March and I expected it to be as good as the 75 inch one but unfortunately, it is just mediocre. The biggest problem with it is judder or shaking when the camera pans slowly. I have tried adjusting various settings but it hasn’t improved. Still, since I paid just 22k and it plays 4k quite well and the colours and picture quality are good overall, I find it quite acceptable.

Last edited by Lobogris : 21st June 2020 at 20:58.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 22:54   #9417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
...Note: Vu 75 inch 4k is listed on Amazon at just 87k which makes it a great deal!!
I too was looking for a large size TV from TCL, but I was waiting for the older stock to get over so that I don't miss out on something.

Which version would the Vu 75" unit be ? Link to the would be helpful as I can't find it listed there somehow.
Old 21st June 2020, 23:14   #9418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Which version would the Vu 75" unit be ? Link to the would be helpful as I can't find it listed there somehow.
They seem to have increased the price to 95k but here it is:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B082PSHRP5/..._aX57Eb0YZEMJP
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:25   #9419
BHPian

Thanks every one for your personal reviews. Apparently, TCL has launched a range of new products few days ago -https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...299-2020-06-18

I guess every one using TCl have good things to say about it. Will wait for these new TV's to come on sale, since i have a couple of months to buy the TV's.

BTW, i was looking at the specs and saw that the TCl panels are typically 8bit (for the older models). But i can't seem to find the same specs for the other manufacturers. I was under the under the impression all high tier models were 10 bit. Any info on this?

I guess as Lobogris said, these manufacturers are posting HDR input/ processing support as a normal HDR output. I guess there are some specs regarding this - like HDR 400/ HDR 600/ HDR 1000 which are not shown in the specs, for obvious reasons . I don't think any of the VFM or even the reasonably priced mainstream TV's, have more than 450 nits of brightness.

More info here -
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/co...m_medium=web2x
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:49   #9420
BHPian

Surprisingly the Motorola 75 inch tv specs mention the following -
10bit colour depth
Dolby Vision & HDR 10 @ 450 nits peak brightness.
Memc - Picture fluidity engine, but exact number is not given.
DTS X with 30W soundbar
Game controller
Price - 1.2L
https://www.flipkart.com/motorola-18...b72d98fc38352c

Any thoughts on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks