Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 14:45   #9391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

I have a question that may be stupid but I am going to ask it and hopefully get an answer.

Since WFH has increased I find myself more on the laptop than ever before.

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 with an i5 Processor and 8 Gb & 256 GB SSD running Windows 10.

I want to add an extra LED Monitor. Now my query is that I do not want to add a duplicate display but rather is it possible for me to do my emails etc on the laptop screen however when it comes to Excel and browsing in additional window can that be open on the Extra Monitor ?

I googled and found extended display but could not find one where I can open separate windows in this.
Old 17th June 2020, 14:51   #9392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have a question that may be stupid but I am going to ask it and hopefully get an answer...
I want to add an extra LED Monitor. Now my query is that I do not want to add a duplicate display but rather is it possible for me to do my emails etc on the laptop screen however when it comes to Excel and browsing in additional window can that be open on the Extra Monitor ?
Yes, you can get an extra monitor and have a second screen for work.
Use "Windows Key+P" in Windows 10 and you'll get a set of options, where you can select "Extend" to have a second screen (once you have connected the external monitor). This is similar to what happens when you connect your laptop to an external projector.
Then simply hold and move the excel, browser, etc. to the right to see in the extended screen.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 17th June 2020 at 14:52. Reason: added text
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:08   #9393
BHPian

Guys, my wife and I are planning to move into our new house soon (Aug ~ Sep) and i am looking for a 75 inch and above TV (to wall mount). I know sky is the limit to spend on these things, with newer features coming up every day.

I do not use any Cable TV box, nor do i watch any cable. My main apps are Youtube, Amazon Prime and a bit of Netflix & hotstar (on Wifi mostly). I do not plan on doing any serious gaming on the TV, might play some casual titles (using a Dell G3, i5 8th gen qaud 'H' processor and 4gb GTX 1050 laptop).

I was looking at this LG 75" - 1.7L https://www.amazon.in/LG-inches-Smart-75UM7600PTA-Titanium/dp/B07STRHPC2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1IVUX9SFHMDCP&dchild=1&keywords=75 +inch+tv&qid=1592392707&sprefix=75%2Caps%2C284&sr= 8-7

Then i came across TCL Tv's -

75" for 1.2L (2018 model)https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/c2/c2-75.html

85" for 2L - https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/p...series-85.html

Does any one use TCL TV's? TCL is providing 3 years warranty on the 85" model. How is the picture quality?

So basically i would be needing a 4K TV with HDR 10 (and above, if possible), HDCP 2.2, Wifi (Dual Band, if possible), Optical out for Atmos HT.

I am present;y using a 43" full HD Panasonic smart TV (TH-43FS601D, bought last year for 38K) and i am happy with it. I notice on some other TV's cheap panels, there is a lot of light bleeding, bright spots, especially when there is a dark seen on the screen. My Panasonic has no such issues.

The room where we intend to put the TV up is pretty big and we would be sitting at least 6ft away. I am off OLED's cause of the price. Picture clarity is my top most priority.
So with this in mind, kindly share your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:23   #9394
BHPian

I want a new television of 55 inches. Must be an android. Any models around? I have no clue about televisions. All look the same to me. The later part of buying will be done from Great Eastern as they are sellings electronics dirty cheap due to the loss they had. We buy all home electronics from there. Make sure it's not a website exclusive TV.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:29   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I want a new television of 55 inches.
Great Eastern is a great chain! However, the customer has to know what they are in the market for, else one can be taken for a ride.

If your pocket permits, go for a Non-smart/Semi-smart Sony Bravia / LG at a huge discount. Slap on a MiBox 4K or Firestick and make it smart again. The inherent OS often suffers from lag (especially in Sony) due to slower processors and are less frequently updated.

In terms of cheaper brands, Vu TVs have been hugely successful in our extended family!

Sony Android 50inch with Triluminous Display (<- This tech is amazing)

VU ultra 4k 55inch

Last edited by sharktale : 17th June 2020 at 17:39.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:36   #9396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Great Eastern is a great chain! However, the customer has to know what they are in the market for, else one can be taken for a ride.

If your pocket permits, go for a Non-smart/Semi-smart Sony Bravia / LG at a huge discount. Slap on a MiBox 4K or Firestick and make it smart again. The inherent OS often suffers from lag (especially in Sony) due to slower processors and are less frequently updated.

In terms of cheaper brands, Vu TVs have been hugely successful in our extended family!
My parents are very blunt with technology. Moreover impatient like 'Karen'. If I go on to instruct them some DIY project on attachment they will eat me half alive
They want to watch Youtube, Amazon Prime and Netflix rather than on an iPad. There is no constraint in budget.
It's not for me. I am very restless to watch a full movie. If I were to buy a TV, I would have gone the way you recommended.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:46   #9397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
My parents are very blunt with technology. Moreover impatient like 'Karen'.
I must say my parents are equally similar. Do geographic/climatic conditions make them that way?

However, trust me, you will hear more "Why does this take so much time?" if you go ahead with native ones. Feedback times matter the most to them, and the response time these small gadgets make it worth the learning/teaching curve of using 2 remotes instead of one. If my parents learnt it, yours definitely can!

I'd go ahead with the best deal on Sony you can grab. Don't worry about 55 vs 50 inches. I had got 46w950a and had paid 20k extra for triluminous display. Till this date, it's never made me fret to buy either a 4K/Oled panel TV. The colour reproduction is AMAZING and comes with Sony reliability!

Last edited by sharktale : 17th June 2020 at 17:47.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:52   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I must say my parents are equally similar. Do geographic/climatic conditions make them that way?
Honestly. It gets more annoying during this lockdown when they keep complaining and relying on me selecting a TV model or be it anything. I make sure it's something reliable or else I will get these beautiful phrases over time, "You only selected this. Look what has happened to it now? Didn't you research?", "You are selfish!", "It's not as good as the one we saw in xxx's house", "Does money grow on trees?", "When you will earn, you will know". Spoiler alert they are not even Bengali but the city has changed them dramatically.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:26   #9399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Then i came across TCL Tv's -

75" for 1.2L (2018 model)https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/c2/c2-75.html
While the TV features and look is very impressive , the refresh rate is only 60Hz . This is not good. I was expecting it to be at 100Hz at min if not 200Hz.
Old 17th June 2020, 20:43   #9400
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents.
If someone is willing to spend 1 lac+ on a TV I will strongly suggest them to go for Sony. Their PQ is fantastic. If you are going for an OLED I will suggest check out LG as well. Brands like TCL, VU, MI etc are VFM for budget buyers. Don't buy in a hurry. Take your time in visiting showrooms and comparing different models. Also 100Hz do make a difference when you compare it with a 60Hz TV.

Last edited by harry10 : 17th June 2020 at 20:44.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:51   #9401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My 2 cents.
If someone is willing to spend 1 lac+ on a TV I will strongly suggest them to go for Sony. Their PQ is fantastic. If you are going for an OLED I will suggest check out LG as well. Brands like TCL, VU, MI etc are VFM for budget buyers. Don't buy in a hurry. Take your time in visiting showrooms and comparing different models. Also 100Hz do make a difference when you compare it with a 60Hz TV.
Tomorrow I'll visit Great Eastern and ask them to show Sony 55inch because the last time they were pestering me to go for Samsung. On an honest note. I find buying a TV -waste of money.

90% of the time I'm sure my dad will watch newz channel with the home theater on. It's so noisy to hear the same thing on loop. These days I only hear the corona virus newz echoing in all four corners of the house.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 17th June 2020 at 20:53.
Old 17th June 2020, 22:09   #9402
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my wife and I are planning to move into our new house soon (Aug ~ Sep) and i am looking for a 75 inch and above TV (to wall mount). I know sky is the limit to spend on these things, with newer features coming up every day.

So with this in mind, kindly share your thoughts and suggestions.
My 51 inch Samsung plasma TVs panel conked off during the worst time possible. Its been a couple of weeks and it served me well for a little over 6 years. Unfortunately Plasma TVs are not manufactured anymore and if I am correct worldwide all manufacturers have stopped.

The PQ of plasmas is brilliant and OLEDs match them but other panels wont come close. Now for someone used to plasmas PQ is the most important aspect.

In the last few days I have been scouting for a replacement TV as Samsung doesn't produce plasma panels any more. While I wait for Samsung to provide a final resolution I continue to check out TVs.

I had zeroed in on TCL C8 55" based on various reviews costing around 50k. Though I would have wanted to go whole cog and buy an OLED or at least a 65" high end non OLED TV but current situation is compelling me to rather save some money for rainy days.

I did a side by side comparison of LG 65" IPS Panel TV and a TCL 65" TCL VA panel TV. LG was better in every aspect as far as PQ was concerned. 4k videos were comparable with LG still ahead of TCL but Full HD videos on LG were a class apart. The processing engine of LG is obviously better and does better job of upscaling Full HD videos. There was no way I could have checked PQ in dark conditions but ideally a VA panel should have better color reproduction, better contrast and better black levels compared to an IPS panel. But LG IPS panel beat TCL VA panel black and blue in every aspect. May be the difference would be lesser in dim/dark conditions. But as they say you get what you pay for. The rest of components on LG would obviously be better which made all the difference.

For ultimate PQ nothing comes close to OLEDs.

If you can afford would suggest LG or Sony OLED and 65" would be ideal size if you are going to watch from a distance of 6ft. Check out LG B9/C9 models or Sony OLEDs. Be aware that you would pay quite a bit of premium for Sony models.

In case you end up buying non OLED models I would suggest TVs with VA panels (Samsung - same category) as PQ is better on VA panels compared to IPS especially if you are into movies and want the best movie experience.

Unfortunately there is a caveat with Samsung TVs (they don't support Dolby Vision HDR). DV is more accepted version for HDR worldwide compared to HDR10+. You will find more 4K DV videos compared to HDR10+. Netflix has lot of DV videos . Amazon has mix of both HDR10/10+ and DV.

This actually leaves you with LG or Sony as the only option. Both support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The OLEDs/high end usually support all required sound formats, codecs etc. I never bother about sound reason being you can always install a good sound system later on.

Non OLED TVs from Sony and LG both use IPS panels and comparable VA panels from other manufacturers(not the budget brands) will have better PQ.

As far as I am concerned I will either go for a 55" LG OLED(Sony has a premium and the incremental quality is negligible) or go for a MI 4k 55" TV or Moto 4k 55" for under 40K. Both use LG IPS panels any way. Need to check the finance options and decide by weekend. Only reason being if it would be prudent to put close to 1.2 L given the current scenario or do a compromise and get a cheap TV use it for a couple of years and buy an OLED once Covid decides to go milder.

Last edited by nibedk : 17th June 2020 at 22:13. Reason: Correction
nibedk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 22:27   #9403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
While the TV features and look is very impressive , the refresh rate is only 60Hz . This is not good. I was expecting it to be at 100Hz at min if not 200Hz.
I think you are talking about the motion enhancer feature that manufacturers provide. It is more of a gimmick that most people don't know that their TV has or just turns it off.
The 4k 55" Panasonic in my hall right now has 1800hz
https://www.panasonic.com/in/consume...30d.specs.html

And the TV that i am using now had 800hz
https://www.panasonic.com/in/consume...30d.specs.html

But this is not the native refresh rate. Almost all manufacturers stick to 50hz native refresh rate. Just to make the picture look more fluid, artificial/ duplicate frames are introduced by this feature.

I had a bad experience with Sony in the past. Before we bough the 55" 4k Panasonic, the 1.5 year old Sony 55" non smart tv conked off and they said the repair would cost 60k. We gave off the TV for recycling, for free, as it was worthless. Hence we shifted to Panasonic. This was the first time our house hold had bought a TV other than Sony The 55" Panasonic was so good, that i bought it's small brother 43" for my bedroom. This 43" TV will be taken to the new house for use in my bedroom.

Also, as far i remember, what ever models i am seeing online now, have been there even an year ago, when i was looking for my 43". Is it that new (2020) models have not been yet released online? or are they not released even in the offline stores?
I am bit skeptical to go to these electronic stores now, as i feel they will try to push the old stock (not sold, due to lock down) and not put up any new stuff as yet, untill the old ones are gone.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 17th June 2020 at 22:35.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 23:11   #9404
BHPian

Quote:

I am off OLED's cause of the price.
Since you dont want OLED because of the price, why not have a look at samsung QLED tvs, PQ is very good and you will get that one connect box which will be super convenient.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 09:12   #9405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
My 51 inch Samsung plasma TVs panel conked off during the worst time possible. Its been a couple of weeks and it served me well for a little over 6 years.
I too have a Samsung Plasma from 2013. Probably the same model. This has developed 3-4 lines near one of the sides. It is not progressing rapidly so we are okay to watch it with the lines.

Please keep us updated on whether Samsung was able to help you on repairing it.

Most Viewed