Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:43   #9421
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

I have the 65P8e from TCL. I got that one for 48k last year in diwali from Snehanjali.
I am happy with the TV and haven't faced any issues as yet. I do not have a DTH or a cable connection on that. I use hotstar, prime and netflix on the TV. Very happy with the picture quality on 4k for the price I have paid and even with sports I haven't had any troubles with lag or ghosting.
I thing we all forget while buying TV's is that most of the content that we watch on the TV isn't going to be 4k with HDR and end up paying for a technology which we aren't going to use that often.
manas27587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:01   #9422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I thing we all forget while buying TV's is that most of the content that we watch on the TV isn't going to be 4k with HDR and end up paying for a technology which we aren't going to use that often.
Exactly why i am shying away from the big brands, with lot of claims and advanced features we might never use. What i feel is that, since whatever tv we buy, it will be a stand alone somewhere and not beside a 5L + Oled, so we will not be able to make any differences anyways.

All i want a reliable brand (TCL is giving 3 years warranty), good PQ to watch movies - HDR 4K stuff (Grand Tour ) on Prime or some youtube vids and a bit future proof (HDR, Dolby vision, etc). I am very keen on the new TCL Qled 2020 launch, so much so that, i have sent them a mail - TCL 75-inch QLED 4K Android TV (75C815).
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:10   #9423
Senior - BHPian

Another happy VU user here. Took a chance on a 'budget brand' 3 years ago and got a 40" FHD Smart TV at 25k after reading good reviews on VU TV's and I have no regrets at all. In fact, we now have 3 VU's in the family.

I find their panel quality very good and even their upscaling for DTH SD channels is very impressive. Sound on my VU is bad but I knew this upfront and since I had external speakers it didn't matter. The newer one's have much more powerful speakers and are so much better.

Among the other budget brands, have heard very mixed reviews on MI panels and good reviews on TCL.
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:10   #9424
BHPian

After reading all positive reviews here about VU tv’s. I just decided to pick up a 55” VU ultra HD for 29k from flipkart. I’ve been a samsung loyalist since years and this will probably be my first non samsung tv. How are the reviews of the 55” ultra HD. Is it better than MI and are there any issues with the after sales support, etc ? Is it advisable to go for tv protection for 3k extra or should I skip on that ?
speedfreak01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:43   #9425
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Booked the Sony 4K 55 inch TV with Reliance Digital last evening. This is Linux OS based model 7002G. Costed about 71k after all discounts and offers, which was not much by the way.
You purchased this last year didn't you? So why does it say 2020 model here? Is this a new conjob by Amazon?

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-in.../dp/B07STKNJ9R
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:15   #9426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
You purchased this last year didn't you? So why does it say 2020 model here? Is this a new conjob by Amazon?

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-in.../dp/B07STKNJ9R

Yes, I bought this TV in Nov 2019 and this listing in Amazon does not have any new updates in terms of features, per say, so im guessing its the same model. It could be that the seller is trying to state that its a 2020 manufactured model or may be even trying to deceive the buyers, you never know. This is precisely why I prefer to pick up big ticket electronics, home appliances and even my iPhones from offline stores. Most of the time I have bought products from Reliance Digital and the prices are quite competitive all the time, even when you compare online.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 23:18   #9427
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Yes, I bought this TV in Nov 2019 and this listing in Amazon does not have any new updates in terms of features, per say, so im guessing its the same model. It could be that the seller is trying to state that its a 2020 manufactured model or may be even trying to deceive the buyers, you never know.
Just happened to come across this, looks like the same model has been relaunched this year.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/news/son...atures-2250357
Old 24th June 2020, 19:17   #9428
BHPian

I recently purchased a LG TV (Model: 50UM7290PTD) from Flipkart which is an Ultra HD (4K) LED smart TV. The installation was completed today. The technician discarded our old HDMI cable (which was connecting our TV and Reliance Jio set top box) because it was not compatible with 4K display. I was not aware that 4K TVs need a different kind of HDMI cable. I was not present at the time of installation but my father paid Rs 650 for the new HDMI cable. I want to know if this HDMI change is really required?

Also, the technician informed my father that the extended warranty for the TV will cost around Rs 15k for 3 years. Do you think it is worth it?
Old 24th June 2020, 20:42   #9429
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
The technician discarded our old HDMI cable (which was connecting our TV and Reliance Jio set top box) because it was not compatible with 4K display. I was not aware that 4K TVs need a different kind of HDMI cable. I was not present at the time of installation but my father paid Rs 650 for the new HDMI cable. I want to know if this HDMI change is really required?

Was your old TV a non-4k model? Or was it one of the earliest 4k TVs? 4k at 60 frames per second and/or 4k with 10 bit colour display requires HDMI 2.0 and above.

Full HD TVs usually have HDMI 1.4a/b. If your old TV was an early batch 4K, chances are that it would have HDMI 1.4b.

Quote:
Also, the technician informed my father that the extended warranty for the TV will cost around Rs 15k for 3 years. Do you think it is worth it?
This is quite subjective IMO. I for one always believe in having that extra peace of mind. It may not be the most rational decision though, certainly not for each and every product.
Old 24th June 2020, 20:45   #9430
Distinguished - BHPian

Changing the direction of recent discussions, can you guys suggest where to source the front polariser film for a 32 inch Sony LCD TV? I’m looking online but have not found any good leads.

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2020, 22:44   #9431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rs 650 for the new HDMI cable. I want to know if this HDMI change is really required?
Unlikely. Unless the cable was more than 10 years old, cable would have worked fine.

Quote:
I was not aware that 4K TVs need a different kind of HDMI cable.
HDMI Cable have some generations / versions. Newer version (HDMI 2.0) is required if you want to view 4k in best possible quality (Jio set top box does not provide that quality)

This table has more details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-hdmi_versions.png

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th June 2020 at 10:22. Reason: then > than
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:18   #9432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Was your old TV a non-4k model? Or was it one of the earliest 4k TVs? 4k at 60 frames per second and/or 4k with 10 bit colour display requires HDMI 2.0 and above.

This is quite subjective IMO. I for one always believe in having that extra peace of mind. It may not be the most rational decision though, certainly not for each and every product.
My old TV was non-4k model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Unlikely. Unless the cable was more then 10 years old, cable would have worked fine.
Thanks for the explanation! The cable was indeed old. I will try the old cable too in order to see how the picture quality varies.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:26   #9433
BHPian

Hi - Any one recently bought the Panasonic GX655 4k Android TVs? If so what is the feedback. Also, the stores do not have them for display and its not available online as well.

What would be an equivalent TV for me to buy in other brands? I have a budget of around 70K and would want the latest bells and whistles in 55Inches minimum.

A bit confused on what to buy. Picture quality matters and so does budget. Not very sure if should consider TCL, OnePlus, VU. Not related to India/china sentiment, but from a quality perspective.

Some models am looking at /checked out currently are

1. Samsung: RU7100/TU 8570

2. LG: 55SM9000. This is a good model with all features, but on the expensive side for 55inch. Cost is around 1.08 lakhs

3. Sony X80G - Doesn't support Bluetooth, Dolby Vision - Around 70K

4. TCL 55P8E - Not very sure

5. Panasonic GX655 - seems to have all features and is an Android TV

6. Panasonic GX800D - Good PQ, but not an android TV. supports DV, HRD10+ etc.

7. Showroom guys showed a TCL QLED TV (forgot the model). Was good, but the offer price was 90K with 3 years warranty for the 65inch model

Thanks
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:48   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hi - Any one recently bought the Panasonic GX655 4k Android TVs? If so what is the feedback. Also, the stores do not have them for display and its not available online as well.

What would be an equivalent TV for me to buy in other brands? I have a budget of around 70K and would want the latest bells and whistles in 55Inches minimum.

A bit confused on what to buy. Picture quality matters and so does budget. Not very sure if should consider TCL, OnePlus, VU. Not related to India/china sentiment, but from a quality perspective.

Some models am looking at /checked out currently are

1. Samsung: RU7100/TU 8570

2. LG: 55SM9000. This is a good model with all features, but on the expensive side for 55inch. Cost is around 1.08 lakhs

3. Sony X80G - Doesn't support Bluetooth, Dolby Vision - Around 70K

4. TCL 55P8E - Not very sure

5. Panasonic GX655 - seems to have all features and is an Android TV

6. Panasonic GX800D - Good PQ, but not an android TV. supports DV, HRD10+ etc.

7. Showroom guys showed a TCL QLED TV (forgot the model). Was good, but the offer price was 90K with 3 years warranty for the 65inch model

Thanks
Wait a few months. Come Diwali and there will be a lot of discounts and freebies. Last year I bought LG 55" LG-TV-55SM8100 for around 73K.
. On 6 months EMI. The interest was returned at the end
. The discount given at 3 month
. 3 years extended warranty free

With Covid and general economic slowdown expect a lot of lucrative deals
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 15:08   #9435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Wait a few months. Come Diwali and there will be a lot of discounts and freebies. Last year I bought LG 55" LG-TV-55SM8100 for around 73K.
. On 6 months EMI. The interest was returned at the end
. The discount given at 3 month
. 3 years extended warranty free

With Covid and general economic slowdown expect a lot of lucrative deals
Thanks I get what you're saying. Given the current scene, I guess it doesn't matter if it's Diwali or not. Based on the showroom experience, retailers are ready to negotiate on deals if the purchase is immediate and I need a bigger TV asap.

Most Viewed