Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 10:17   #9301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Does it suffer the same battery drain issues that the regular fire stick does.
I think they have fixed this with a software upgrade. I have two of these 4K and was having to change batteries every week. Then I switched to rechargeable batteries and I use my Panasonic cordless phone to charge them . These days the charge seems to last months.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 00:08   #9302
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
When I upgrade to the 4K TV, the first purchase I will make is the 4K Fire stick.
Thank you for your review of the firestick.
I wish they sold newer Fire Sticks with remotes that could be charged via a usb port.
I think almost all 4K TVs now come preinstalled with all the necessary apps right on their home screen. What would be the use case of the fire stick then? I had always thought it was meant for non smart TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Have been using the TV for about 4 months now, and thoroughly satisfied with the purchase. Quality in Sony is always top notch! A lot depends on the input though and some of content from Netflix is just surreal to watch!
I think the best part of Sony has always been that the video output seems a bit more natural than the over saturated colours that you see in few other TVs.
So, yes, would recommend this! A slight premium over Samsung, but well worth it.
Thanks a ton, this really helped.

The Samsung Frame is available for almost the same price on Flipkart, so am confused between these two televisions.

As much as I can gather, this Sony is an entry level TV, while the Samsung is a QLED.

Last edited by Oxy : 21st March 2020 at 00:10.
Old 21st March 2020, 08:10   #9303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think almost all 4K TVs now come preinstalled with all the necessary apps right on their home screen. What would be the use case of the fire stick then? I had always thought it was meant for non smart TVs.
Good point. I guess people are buying the firestick because not all OTT platforms are still pre-installed. I have an Android smart TV and have downloaded all the OTT apps but I use my firestick exclusively for Prime content. Or maybe, force of habit is making us buy the fire stick.

I hope there is a better answer to this query by fellow members.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:15   #9304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is also my observation. Most of the 4K TV that are android come with WiFi and preloaded with popular apps, in case of our LG 55" 4K Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video have dedicated buttons on the remote itself.

So a fire stick is really not necessary.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:38   #9305
BHPian

Quote:
When I upgrade to the 4K TV, the first purchase I will make is the 4K Fire stick.
Thank you for your review of the firestick.
I wish they sold newer Fire Sticks with remotes that could be charged via a usb port.
Unfortunately yes, keep 2 pairs of rechargeable batteries for them, so you standby pair of the currently used batteries die. But for some reason, the battery of my 4K stick's remote doesn't drain as fast as my other remote which is used with fire tv 4K box.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 09:58   #9306
BHPian

Quote:
I think almost all 4K TVs now come preinstalled with all the necessary apps right on their home screen. What would be the use case of the fire stick then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
So a fire stick is really not necessary.
Watching a movie on the pre-installed Prime app and immediately moved to the fire stick with the same movie.
My observation - subtitles size is bigger when viewing movie via the fire stick.
Other than that I did not find any difference. Another advantage (?) to the fire stick is that it will prolong the life of your TV remote since TV remote is spared all the operations of fast forward, rewind, pause, play and this is done by the fire stick remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Unfortunately yes, keep 2 pairs of rechargeable batteries for them
So the problem persists. Wish they provided usb chargable remotes to get rid of this problem.
Old 28th March 2020, 13:45   #9307
Senior - BHPian

So just spoke to Chroma from where I bought a 43" Hitachi TV (LD43HTS06F). Netflix was not working (freezes on home page). Also Prime works variably, thought that the remote was hard. Got a call from Chroma, Apparently I have to use a mouse (Not provided/ recommended at purchase) as the apps are mobile versions.
Old 28th March 2020, 18:15   #9308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Hello,

I am thinking of Purchasing LG Oled B9 or C9. My current TV is Sony HX850 55 inch. My sony TV shows screen bleeding on all four sides and a few dead pixels at extreme corners of bottom left and right.
I have a TATA sky connection, my concern is Burn in with that persistent TATA sky logo on the OLED TV.
Should I be concerned or it will not have any issue with Pixel refresher built in to the latest gen of LG OLEDs.
Warranty does not cover screen burn in.
Which one did you get?

In the same boat as you. Had a HX750.

Thinking about the X9000F/ X9500g against the C9 as I feel the Sony colour reproduction is better than LG's.
Old 28th March 2020, 21:18   #9309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Which one did you get?
I went with LG C9. Actually bought two of them, one for me and other for my brother. One of the Piece had 1293 hours and other was new. I complained to Kohinoor and they sent a brand new piece.
Picture Quality is just amazing. I also had checked Sony OLED and Samsung Q80. Sony was priced 30k higher compared to LG and samsung was at par price wise. I did not check the models that you mentioned.
Go for the one which fits your requirement and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Make sure you don't get a demo piece like I did and then have to go through the hassle of getting it replaced.
BTW, I hope you will be purchasing after the COVID-19 scenario or any of the shops near you is willing to deliver?

Last edited by sagpatel : 28th March 2020 at 21:20.
Old 28th March 2020, 22:43   #9310
BHPian

Quote:
I went with LG C9. Actually bought two of them, one for me and other for my brother. One of the Piece had 1293 hours and other was new. I complained to Kohinoor and they sent a brand new piece.
Picture Quality is just amazing. I also had checked Sony OLED and Samsung Q80. Sony was priced 30k higher compared to LG and samsung was at par price wise. I did not check the models that you mentioned.
Go for the one which fits your requirement and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Make sure you don't get a demo piece like I did and then have to go through the hassle of getting it replaced.
BTW, I hope you will be purchasing after the COVID-19 scenario or any of the shops near you is willing to deliver?
Wow, that is really unethical. The hours used implies it must have been used for around 5 months. Not acceptable for such a big purchase.

Which Kohinoor did you get it from? I was considering getting it from Kohinoor (Andheri West) as I got my HX750 from there. Also what price did you get it for, if you don't mind sharing?

How is DTH/ Cable upscaling, say sports? I want a TV which is good at upscaling.

Stores aren't open right now, rightly so. Will get one after the lockdown.

Last edited by omar : 28th March 2020 at 22:44. Reason: Formatting
Old 29th March 2020, 11:42   #9311
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I went with LG C9.
What I am interested to know is which factor encouraged you to buy an OLED considering you had the screen burn in fear.

I have seniors at home who like to watch news and other live TV channels, and cricket matches for hours at a stretch. All of these have the static logo/news ticker/static scoreboard issue because of which I am not in a position to even contemplate spending money on an OLED.
Old 29th March 2020, 11:51   #9312
BHPian

Quote:

Which Kohinoor did you get it from? I was considering getting it from Kohinoor (Andheri West) as I got my HX750 from there. Also what price did you get it for, if you don't mind sharing?

How is DTH/ Cable upscaling,
I bought it from Kohinoor Andheri west opp citi mall the same place I bought my earlier sony HX850 from. Price was 1.25L. You can also try Reliance next door, they also offered same price. I wanted to go for exchange but they gave me Zero value for my sony (i had told them there is screen bleeding).
After this incident I have decided I will never ever go back to Kohinoor.
Oh, i fotgot to mention, Kohinoor was not willing to sell me LG , they were pushing me to go for Samsung citing LG has bad brightness and QLED is the latest technology compared to OLED .
Upscaling is good on LG, but streaming content looks much better compared to say DTH HD channels (I have TATA sky).
I went with OLED because I wanted to try something new and Sony OLED was just way too expensive and didn't justify the price difference. I am super happy with my decision. Samsung was not bad by any means and I am sure Sony would be at par if not slightly better than Samsung.

OLED burn in was there at the back of my mind, But did some research and came to conclusion that with my kind of usage burn in will occur after 6-7 years which is good enough for me.

Last edited by sagpatel : 29th March 2020 at 11:58.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 14:04   #9313
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it from Kohinoor Andheri west opp citi mall the same place I bought my earlier sony HX850 from. Price was 1.25L. You can also try Reliance next door, they also offered same price. I wanted to go for exchange but they gave me Zero value for my sony (i had told them there is screen bleeding).
After this incident I have decided I will never ever go back to Kohinoor.
Oh, i fotgot to mention, Kohinoor was not willing to sell me LG , they were pushing me to go for Samsung citing LG has bad brightness and QLED is the latest technology compared to OLED .
Upscaling is good on LG, but streaming content looks much better compared to say DTH HD channels (I have TATA sky).
I went with OLED because I wanted to try something new and Sony OLED was just way too expensive and didn't justify the price difference. I am super happy with my decision. Samsung was not bad by any means and I am sure Sony would be at par if not slightly better than Samsung.

OLED burn in was there at the back of my mind, But did some research and came to conclusion that with my kind of usage burn in will occur after 6-7 years which is good enough for me.
Yeah it is the same store. You got a good deal! You can sell your old tv on OLX if you haven't already. It is really funny when sales people are pushy, thinking you don't know about the product Maybe the margins aren't as high or they did not have stock in hand.

My use is Tata Sky as well. I did also consider the A8G, but as you said, the price difference is just stupid.

I will go to the store when everything is better and decide.
Old 30th March 2020, 11:47   #9314
BHPian

Quote:
You got a good deal! You can sell your old tv on OLX if you haven't already. It is really funny when sales people are pushy, thinking you don't know about the product Maybe the margins aren't as high or they did not have stock in hand.
You can get even better deal at any store because of lockdown they will be desperate to clear the stock. I think Kohinoor has a dedicated section for Samsung, so they must be getting good commission/margin from Samsung.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:19   #9315
BHPian

Quote:
You can get even better deal at any store because of lockdown they will be desperate to clear the stock. I think Kohinoor has a dedicated section for Samsung, so they must be getting good commission/margin from Samsung.
Yes that’s why they were pushing it on you!

Let’s see the situation after the lockdown. Hopefully things get better soon.
omar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks