Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2019, 23:47   #9196
Senior - BHPian

Need some advice folks. Have been using a Sony 32 LCD for the last 9 years now and looking to upgrade to a bigger TV. Preferably 55 or even 49. I stopped subscribing to Tata Sky for the last 6 months, have a Apple TV and thru that I have been streaming all apps like Netflix, Hot star, You tube and the likes.
And I do not have any android devices at home, couple of iPhones and the Apple TV, so no specific reason to buy an Android TV since I will anyway have to stream everything thru my Apple TV anyway. I was looking at something around the 60k mark, and would prefer to buy a Sony again since I have had a issue free experience in my existing Sony for the last 9 years. I came across this model 7002G which after all discounts may end up at around 70K. This is a 4K resolution TV with Linux OS, and the basic smart TV functionalities. Question is, considering I will be streaming content thru Apple TV anyway, the OS does not actually matter, or does it?
Im not inclined to actually spend 70k, but if I have to sort of be a little bit future ready then 4K seems like something that I should not skip. And if I need 4K, then this seems to be the only choice.

Any feedback and suggestions would be welcome.
Old 24th November 2019, 06:40   #9197
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I came across this model 7002G which after all discounts may end up at around 70K. This is a 4K resolution TV with Linux OS, and the basic smart TV functionalities. Question is, considering I will be streaming content thru Apple TV anyway, the OS does not actually matter
The X70G despite being Sony’s entry level 4K TV has amazing picture quality with natural and accurate color reproduction, compared to similarly priced LG or Samsung models. Since you are using Apple TV, the OS or smart features wouldn’t matter anyway and with PQ as the primary criteria, the X70G is a great choice IMHO.

I recently did an extensive comparison and demo tests of Sony X70G, Panasonic GX750 and LG SM8100 (all 55 inches) before finally settling for the GX750, for Rs.70k.
Old 24th November 2019, 06:40   #9198
Senior - BHPian

Get the highest quality spike buster you can lay your hands on. The circuitry inside in really intricate and will need protection from spikes. Stabilizers don't protect and I see it as a scam. There was a surge at my mom's place and it passed through the vguard burning it in the process - but the device let that surge pass through to the TV and Home Theatre (which got burned pretty badly). We incurred a loss of 75K that day. Vguard guys simply said the protection depends on the level of surge the unit receives and raised their hands, giving us a new unit (which I never used). Now the imported spike buster is ensuring we have no issues (for a decade now). We had a lot of surge hits as well, the fuse needs to be replaced - that's all. So yeah that's my learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Our area does not have power fluctuation, but in any case.... Do we need a stabilizer?
Old 24th November 2019, 08:52   #9199
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
The new gen TVs or HTs does not require a stabilizer is what I am told. I am looking for a stabilizer for my 50" TV and HT.

Our area does not have power fluctuation, but in any case.... Do we need a stabilizer?

All TVs come with an in-built stabilizer. In most urban locations, this is more than enough. I have never used a voltage stabilizer or spike guard in Bombay
Old 24th November 2019, 20:49   #9200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
The X70G despite being Sony’s entry level 4K TV has amazing picture quality with natural and accurate color reproduction, compared to similarly priced LG or Samsung models. Since you are using Apple TV, the OS or smart features wouldn’t matter anyway and with PQ as the primary criteria, the X70G is a great choice IMHO.

I recently did an extensive comparison and demo tests of Sony X70G, Panasonic GX750 and LG SM8100 (all 55 inches) before finally settling for the GX750, for Rs.70k.

Thanks for the input. I have got a final quote of Rs.71000 for the Sony X70G 55 inches. Im in a dilemma whether to wait until the new year weekend when usually you have some attractive offers going on. The current deal is not bad as well, but since Im in no hurry, thinking about waiting for another 3-4 weeks.
Also, whats actually the deal with 4K? I see no content in 4K at the moment and I do not know if broadcasters, Channels and apps will actually make that shift anytime soon. And if im actually using a Apple TV to stream content, which by the way is not 4K, then how would a 4K TV help?
Old 24th November 2019, 22:14   #9201
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have got a final quote of Rs.71000 for the Sony X70G 55 inches.
Also, whats actually the deal with 4K? I see no content in 4K at the moment and I do not know if broadcasters, Channels and apps will actually make that shift anytime soon. And if im actually using a Apple TV to stream content, which by the way is not 4K, then how would a 4K TV help?
That’s a good deal no doubt, though you might be able to shave off a few thousands more if you wait till year end season. The best quote here in Cochin was 76k, with a 1TB HDD thrown in.

Regarding 4K, depends on how long you are planning to keep this TV. If it’s anything above 3 years I would suggest to stick with 4K. While hard to come by, there’s no denying that 4K content is pristine, and it is as much of a jump from 1080p, as 1080p is from 720p. Moreover all the manufacturers tend to provide their best (or next to best) processing technology only on 4K panels.

Last edited by Pequod : 24th November 2019 at 22:15. Reason: Spelling!
Old 25th November 2019, 00:03   #9202
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have got a final quote of Rs.71000 for the Sony X70G 55 inches. Im in a dilemma whether to wait until the new year weekend when usually you have some attractive offers going on. The current deal is not bad as well, but since Im in no hurry, thinking about waiting for another 3-4 weeks.

Where was this? I am also hunting for a 55 inch 4K UHD TV. Have only seen LG and Samsung in the 70K price range. Haven't seen a sony in 55 inch 4K. If there is a sony at 70K, i might just buy it by the year end.
Old 25th November 2019, 05:39   #9203
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have got a final quote of Rs.71000 for the Sony X70G 55 inches.
IMO, you should book the TV now. You may try and fish for some further discount or store credit.
The additional discount for a Sony 4K may be 2-3k max. It's not worth the anxiety for the waiting period as you'll constantly want to check up with the store for current offers. The wait is justified only if you can get full details about the timing and particulars of the offer!
Old 25th November 2019, 21:12   #9204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
That's a good deal no doubt, though you might be able to shave off a few thousands more if you wait till year end season. The best quote here in Cochin was 76k, with a 1TB HDD thrown in.

Got it, thanks. Im thinking of the next 7 years minimum, so 4K does make sense from that angle. But you never know, some technologies do not take off. But I read somewhere that 8k is also on the horizon, but it may be too expensive and would take another 5-7 years minimum to be more accessible, so 4K content should be the one to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Where was this? I am also hunting for a 55 inch 4K UHD TV. Have only seen LG and Samsung in the 70K price range. Haven't seen a sony in 55 inch 4K. If there is a sony at 70K, i might just buy it by the year end.

I got this quote from Reliance Digital, Phoenix mall, Bangalore, but this was after a lot of negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
IMO, you should book the TV now. You may try and fish for some further discount or store credit.

The additional discount for a Sony 4K may be 2-3k max. It's not worth the anxiety for the waiting period as you'll constantly want to check up with the store for current offers. The wait is justified only if you can get full details about the timing and particulars of the offer!

Yes, im thinking of finalising sometime this week. Also being told that there will be zero interest EMI scheme from Bajaj finance with Rs.2500 cash back.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:00   #9205
Senior - BHPian

What is the word on the Mi TV 4A 100cm? Any good or krapp?

For those who own a Mi TV, what exactly is Mi's Patchwall? Does it require signing in to the service? Is it paid? If Yes, how much does it cost per year?
Old 30th November 2019, 01:51   #9206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What is the word on the Mi TV 4A 100cm? Any good or krapp?
For those who own a Mi TV, what exactly is Mi's Patchwall? Does it require signing in to the service? Is it paid? If Yes, how much does it cost per year?
I follow Tech Singh on YouTube for all things related to MI TV. Not that his content is rocket science, but the guy does a good job and we get some useful tips from almost every upload of his.

Simply put, Patchwall is MI's version of Fire TV Stick interface.

One has a choice to boot into Patchwall or Android interface by setting your default choice.

Patchwall is free, the content you watch through Patchwall may or may not be paid, based on what you select.

I purchased the 49" set in June this year, from Amazon.
Old 30th November 2019, 05:18   #9207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got it, thanks. Im thinking of the next 7 years minimum, so 4K does make sense from that angle.
I owned a Sony 4K Tv, the picture quality is the best even for SD content. The price quoted is very good, just opt for extended warranty.
Old 30th November 2019, 09:27   #9208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I owned a Sony 4K Tv, the picture quality is the best even for SD content. The price quoted is very good, just opt for extended warranty.

Booked the Sony 4K 55 inch TV with Reliance Digital last evening. This is Linux OS based model 7002G. Costed about 71k after all discounts and offers, which was not much by the way. Have never used a stabiliser till date for my existing Sony 32 LCD, but considering the investment I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

I checked on the extended warranty in Reliance digital and they offer their own plan, but it seemed very expensive, something like 12k for additional 2years. I do not know if we can buy an extended warranty from Sony directly, but this cost seemed very high, almost like what we pay for our cars! Delivery and Installation due this evening.

From whatever I have seen in the last 2 weeks of showroom and internet research, Sony still seems to have an edge over Samsung and LG with regard to the picture quality. I tried setting all TVs in the default display settings and with the same video input, Sony felt way better. Not sure whats wrong with LG, but a lot of sales folks mentioned about a black effect on the display of LG nano cell TV model.

Anyway, had always made up my mind that it was going to be a Sony since we owned one for 9 years now. The deliberation was to whether to opt for an android OS which was about 10k more or the Linux OS. Two aspects swayed my decision towards Linux, one I do not have any android devices at home and use an Apple TV to stream all content. And second I was wary of the possibility of a laggy Android OS, read this in many reviews and personally I have never had a good experience with Android OS, although my usage has been very limited.
Old 30th November 2019, 19:38   #9209
Senior - BHPian

Sony is far ahead of LG and Samsung in terms of picture quality. I have played many Kannada and Telugu black and white movies, it still looked good on Sony. I recently upgraded to projector setup. Since I personally use Ubuntu OS, Linux is much lighter and will serve you well in long term.
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:45   #9210
BHPian

Quote:
Have never used a stabiliser till date for my existing Sony 32 LCD, but considering the investment I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.
No need of Stabiliser which has poor response times during a spike. It'd be better to invest in a good spike burster with response times in nano seconds and anything upward of 400 Joules.

Most Viewed