Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 21:42   #9061
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Question to Users of MI TV -
If I go from a 48 inch fullHD Samsung TV 120 Hz panel to 4K 55 inch Mi TV, will the picture quality drop be significant in terms of brightness, contrast, smoothness etc?
Old 4th September 2019, 22:59   #9062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Another alternative is to take a Hathway connection and they are providing a free chromecast based device that runs on Android
Hi diyguy,

Thanks for the suggestion but Hathway is not available in our area.
I think I will just have to use my phone and cast for the time being.
Cheers,
SS
Old 5th September 2019, 09:08   #9063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
If I go from a 48 inch fullHD Samsung TV 120 Hz panel to 4K 55 inch Mi TV, will the picture quality drop be significant in terms of brightness, contrast, smoothness etc?
Yes, it will drop significantly. The difference is much worse for SD content, lesser for 4K video content.

Last edited by deehunk : 5th September 2019 at 09:09.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:45   #9064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on how old the Samsung TV is. If it is a top end model and less than 5 years old then the Mi TV 4K would be more or less similar to the samsung. If your TV is older than 5 years then the Mi TV 4K would look much better.

The main problem with 4K TV is how it upscale SD content. With most of the regional channels still in SD, the MiTV up scaling causes the content to look patchy and pixelated on the 4K TV. If you are someone who mainly watches HD and SD content then stick to a good quality Panasonic HD TV in whichever size suits you. Do not just go by the fad of 4K. A good quality HD TV of 2019 will blow away the Mi TV 4k.

My cousin bought the MiTV 4k and is regretting since he stays in a Tier 2 city and most of the content is SD!I did the same mistake when i purchased TCL 4k. With my parents mainly watching SD content, they are unhappy with the TV and infact curse me for upgrading the TV from the old Panasonic Plasma HD to TCL 4K.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:06   #9065
Senior - BHPian

Folks are any "Dumb" TV in HD or 4K format available? My requirement is Tata Sky and Firestick and have no need for fancy appliances with loads of Apps, as I mostly watch Sports or News.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:18   #9066
BHPian

Quote:
I replaced a 2010 LG 42 inch FHD (possibly inferior to your Samsung) with a iFFALCON 55" 4K (superior to MI TV according to reviewers), and apart from the bigger screen size I do not see any appreciable improvement in picture quality.

I suggest you hold on to the Samsung for a few more years and save up for an OLED. 48 to 55 inches does not seem like a real upgrade.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:42   #9067
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The difference is much worse for SD content, lesser for 4K video content.

What is the reason SD content is worse?
Old 5th September 2019, 10:46   #9068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Yes, it will drop significantly. The difference is much worse for SD content, lesser for 4K video content.
Depends upon your source. If its a STB then yes everything will be blurry as these have terrible SoC based upscaling.

If it is a PC, then there are way better upscaling systems available where perceived loss of detail is imperceptible. Upscaling using a mid-high end GPU on a PC will be far superior compared to the TV's upscaling unit too.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 5th September 2019 at 10:47.
Old 5th September 2019, 14:51   #9069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the reason SD content is worse?
The quality of screen is different, even with my LG and Sony, I see that Sony has superior picture quality. I had a Samsung Plasma TV earlier, then too noticed better quality in black levels and crispness compared to other Plasma TV's.
Old 5th September 2019, 15:17   #9070
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for Oneplus TV , seems 55 inch is on the way as an Amazon exclusive. Hope 43 inch option will also be offered down the line.
Old 5th September 2019, 15:20   #9071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgun View Post
Eagerly waiting for Oneplus TV , seems 55 inch is on the way as an Amazon exclusive. Hope 43 inch option will also be offered down the line.
They are not going for a "Flagship Killer" pricing strategy. Not sure how the market will react to a One Plus TV with a price range close to the established brands like Samsung, LG.
Old 6th September 2019, 20:18   #9072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@lobogris ~ I read that you have a TCL 75 inch tv. Would you be able to give your views on how the tv is performing and what works for it and against it.

Looking to get a 75 inch tv but the reviews for such a scare in the Indian context. Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't see your question till now.

I am really happy with my purchase. The television has far exceeded my expectations. The picture quality is superb. It displays 4k video flawlessly from Netflix, YouTube or usb drives. The clarity, colour reproduction and sharpness are unbelievable. The picture quality is at least 5 times better than my 60 inch VU 1080p TV. Every image is incredibly immersive and life like. The colours pop out of the screen. I have done detailed comparisons using 4k and 1080p content with Sony and Samsung 4k TVs and the TCL seems just as good. At the most I would grant Sony a 10% higher quality and even that I think is induced by a bias towards the brand due to its much higher price.

The Harmon Kardon soudbar in the TV produces rich and high quality sound. The base is reasonable but the voice quality and instruments come out really sharp. I have removed my dedicated soudbar which was used with my earlier TV. In addition, the TV can play virtually any file type which is lacking on Sony and Samsung. The Android interface is super smooth with no lag and the built in file manager and Media Center are good as well. The TV comes with 2 remotes. One of them is voice enabled and has air mouse function. Voice recognition is very good and you can find YouTube or Netflix movies easily by doing a voice search. In addition, it has Chromecast built in so you can stream from any device. The contrast and brightness are amazing. Blacks are super dark. The TV plays HDR content quite well. There is some debate on whether it is actually fully HDR compliant but visually it looks great. The TV displays a brief message stating "HDR 10 video is playing" when playing HDR content.

On the negative side, the TV gets a little hot on the back if you stream 4k for a long time in hot weather. It doesn't affect its performance in any way though. Still, I turn on a portable fan on its back for a few minutes after each hour during extremely hot days. This is just a precaution as there are no issues with performance. If you use the TV with a cable box or via usb or with a PC then it doesn't get warm. There are a few tiny areas of backlight bleeding but you can only see them in total darkness. You can't see them during normal usage even in dark rooms. I have seem worse bleeding on Sony and Samsung TVs so this is normal for large screen TVs.

In summary this TV is a great value for money. You get great picture quality, great sound and all the smart features at less than half the price. It is so much more responsive than my old smart TV. It does take about 30 seconds to boot up like a computer. You can enable instant on and then it would boot up instantly but that will reset once you disconnect its power. So you can have it boot up slowly the first time and then if you need to switch it off for say 1 hour, it will boot up instantly after that. However when you switch it on the next day, it will take the full 30 seconds again. The WiFi has both 5Ghz and 2.4 options in addition to LAN cable. 5Ghz band is sometimes a little finicky. I takes about 30 seconds for the TV to connect to the internet after boot up on some occasions. However I get full 100 Mbps speed on the TV on my 100 Mbps connection and there is no lag or stuttering of any kind when playing 4k content via Netflix or usb.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 20:52   #9073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Sorry, I didn't see your question till now.

I am really happy with my purchase.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for a detailed evaluation. Heat is not an issue, I have a 65 inch plasma and I can cook an egg on it while its running. I do also have a HT system attached so sound is secondary.

I was basically interested in knowing how the picture quality is and if its acceptable for everyday netflix etc. Seems like it will fit the bill fine.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:38   #9074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have two of the 4k fire tv and I use aaa rechargeable batteries that I charge using my Panasonic cordless phones. I started with the aaa due to the rapid discharge of the batteries on the fire tv remotes. I am guessing the Bluetooth nature of the remotes is causing it, not sure. Since then all my remotes, weigh scale etc that support aaa, I am using rechargeables for the primary reason to avoid battery leak and spoil the remote or device. I have had too many such remote loss instances.
Why don't you get a charger for rechargeable batteries? They can charge up to four batteries either aa or aaa simultaneously. I am sure that would be a far more easy and more efficient way to recharge batteries.
Also I think for low discharge applications, normal batteries are a better option than rechargeable batteries. You may opt for alkaline batteries like Duracell etc. As someone else suggested.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:22   #9075
BHPian

Will any LED TV bought in the USA work in India? I know it may need a voltage converter but do we need a PAL converter as well?

Any first hand experiences?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks