Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:22   #8866
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello all,
I am looking to purchase a 55 inch 4K TV for the living room. Currently, I have a 42 inch LG LED smart TV that I am very happy with. Will be moving this unit to the bedroom for Netflix, AMazon Prime and YouTube.
I am hoping to get a TV within 75 to 80K. I know that MI has a couple of options in 55'' 4K segment but I am not convinced about their quality and longevity. Planning to get this in early May. Any input would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Check out the new samsung series 6 models- there is one model for 55 inches, within your budget and recommended above mi. Has 4k HDR Dolby Vision etc.
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:33   #8867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Check out the new samsung series 6 models- there is one model for 55 inches, within your budget and recommended above mi. Has 4k HDR Dolby Vision etc.
Thanks, had a look at it on the Samsung site. But is still higher than my budget, perhaps the stores will be willing to offer a better price. LG too has a few in this range. Will report back once I decide.
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:15   #8868
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
I am looking to purchase a 55 inch 4K TV

IMHO, I'll suggest you to get a great Full HD TV from Sony/Samsung, which you can further move to your bedroom, once LG goes kaput.

Check out Sony Full HD TVs with Triluminous Display tech. Amazing picture quality. I am using Sony KDL-W950A, and the blacks are really great! The same TV without Triluminous Display was 20k cheaper, when I purchased mine in 2014.

4K is kind of a gimmick tech-wise, and finding good quality 4K content is pretty often difficult. For streaming services, seamless 4K playback is a issue still (at least for me).

I'll advise you to save up, and get an OLED TV later on when they become cheaper. Even I'm doing the same

Last edited by sharktale : 3rd April 2019 at 19:32.
Old 4th April 2019, 13:11   #8869
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, had a look at it on the Samsung site. But is still higher than my budget, perhaps the stores will be willing to offer a better price. LG too has a few in this range. Will report back once I decide.
62k for a 55 inch tv. How is this above your budget?
Old 4th April 2019, 13:54   #8870
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

To all the people who want to juice out some more life out of your non-smart TVs or old laptops. Here is an interesting experiment I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Interesting idea I had while dismantling an old aging laptop. If you have a non-smart TV remove the laptop screen from the hinges (needs dismantling), connect it via HDMI/VGA to your TV (considering the TV has the inputs), get a wireless keyboard and mouse, make a DIY concealed wall mount for the laptop (preferably behind the TV) and you now have a smart TV. You can now connect a webcam for video calls, play movies via USB or DVD in any imaginable format, stream internet video (netflix/prime etc.), browse internet on a larger screen - possibilities are endless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Tried this setup with a laptop I have been given for tinkering on. You lose the wireless antenna since it is looped through the screen. But that can be taken care of by a USB based wifi receiver, just hook up a wireless keyboard with a track pad and your smart TV is ready. Work done on this laptop will be shared soon.
Old 4th April 2019, 14:19   #8871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know which TV you are referring to, but on the Samsung India site the cheapest 4k TV I could find was for 95K. And it's this one. Link.
Old 10th April 2019, 11:00   #8872
BHPian

Our 12 year old CRT TV in parents room conked off this week. In the market for 40 / 43 inch TV. Not many requirements barring good picture quality and sound. But our primary TV in Living Room is used to consume a lot of content from online platforms so was thinking, having the ability to stream would be nice in this TV too.

I could go for smart TV or go for non-smart and go the Fire stick way. Flipkart lists TVs around 16k / 17k for 40 inch non-smart, while smart TV for about 19k. Fire stick option with non smart would work out same. Which one would be preferable?

Also, are there any corner TV mounts? Or I have to install swivel mount only? We don't need to move the TV once installed in corner so was thinking if there are any fixed corner TV mounts.
Old 11th April 2019, 20:53   #8873
BHPian

TV - 47LE5500, purchased in Mar 2011, during Cricket World Cup.

The 4 HDMI ports stopped working on the morning of Nov 3, 2018. Haven't been able to use Chromecast since then.

Same thing had happened in 2014, and I had the board replaced from LG service, costed INR 7000/- in 2014.

This time I decided to continue using the AV ports, and all was well till last Friday, when AV stopped displaying video. Only Audio was coming from the D2H HD STB.

Tried replacing cables, didn't work. Also tried using Component ports, same result.

Tried factory-reset at a last resort, didn't work.

Called up LG, they said board is not available.

Authorized LG/Samsung service center guys are offering me a Chinese board (INR 8000/-), with 3 months warranty. They have replaced it in at least 40 TVs it seems, and only 2 complaints of manufacturing defects.

There is also an option of the same Chinese board, with SMART TV software, but I overlooked it since I already have a Chromecast and a Fire TV Stick.

Have a 10 yr. old Dell LCD monitor (19 inches) with VGA and DVI ports. Bought an Amazon Basics HDMI to DVI cable and this sorted out the Video part. I must say that clarity is pretty good on the 10 yr. old Dell.

Problem is Audio!

I have the HDMI from the STB connected to the monitor via the Amazon Basics cable, but for sound I have continued using the AV connection from STB to TV. However, the TV switches itself off after 15 min for want of display, and there is no setting that would prevent this.

In 2014 I had bought a HDMI switch from Ali Express which came in handy this time. Today morning I plugged the STB HDMI in input-1 and Chromecast in input-2, and both are working upon switching inputs on the switch, however, as expected, Audio is still an issue.

There are HDMI audio extractors available on Amazon, but the good ones are in north of INR 4 to 5k, and this being a stop gap arrangement, I am unwilling to spend that amount just for receiving audio.

I also have a SONY BDV-9200W home theatre (HT) system that I am planning to explore for audio, but not expecting much from it since the Dell monitor doesn't have Audio out.

There is also an option of connecting my cell phone's headphone jack to the Audio-in of the SONY HT (3.5 mm to RCA), and use Chromecast, but that doesn't seem viable all the time, especially when you are switching content frequently. But I wll try.

Can anyone pls. suggest a remedy to this - getting audio working for Chromecast?

It goes without saying that I am holding on to a new TV purchase for now since that topic requires a bit of research, and I don't want to end up regretting post purchase.

Also, I am more inclined on buying a plain LCD/LED monitor (> 40 inches) if such a thing exists, rather than a full fledged TV. 2 HDMI ports, 1 VGA port, Headphone jack and USB is enough to get things moving.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Is the INR 8000/- Chinese board worth betting on? It won't display the LG logo at start up, which also means no exchange value of a working TV?

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20190410_114520.jpg

Last edited by Safety is Param : 11th April 2019 at 20:57.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:58   #8874
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung Smart LED 40 inch TV which is just out of it's extended 3 year warranty. Motherboard and screen have been replaced a year ago under warranty. We have been out of town and on returning and switching on, I have noticed that the screen is very dark. Increasing "Brilliance" and "Contrast" has helped a bit but not much.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
SS
Old 12th April 2019, 14:07   #8875
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
TV - 47LE5500, purchased in Mar 2011, during Cricket World Cup.

The 4 HDMI ports stopped working on the morning of Nov 3, 2018. Haven't been able to use Chromecast since then.
I'm now in a situation similar to yours in some ways.

The Panasonic Plasma TV's HDMI ports stopped working and the fix is to get the main board replaced, but it isn't available

The culprit I think is Electro static Discharge/power surge from the cable/DTH set top box's HDMI connection in to the TV.

AV ports are working fine, so I bought a HDMI-VGA converter with audio out - works fine with a laptop but when set top box is connected, only audio is heard, no picture! This probably has something to do with HDCP, so I tried with couple other products and the results were similar. I was told by a friend that there are more expensive HDMI-VGA converters with power source that can manage these codecs, however they're very expensive in the range of USD 250, so they beat the purpose. Might as well buy a new board or TV instead of them.

For now, my plan B is to just use AV ports and extend the life of the TV.

Last edited by NPV : 12th April 2019 at 14:09.
Old 12th April 2019, 19:58   #8876
BHPian

Hi All
I have a Sony Bravia Android Tv. With the latest update, the TV has now become bricked. I called up the service center and the person came looked at the TV, switched it on and said the mother board is broken. This is due to a surge in internal voltage apparently. I dont buy this argument since the TV is stuck in a boot loop. The Sony logo comes up, the Android logo (4 circles) come up and then it goes back to the Sony logo

Before giving to the service center i wanted to troubleshoot it myself. I tried hard factory reset (unplug, press the vol down and power on key and plug the tv to power). The white light turns green and i release the buttons. After a long time the tv goes back again to the bootloop. Tried this 5 times as suggested on some forums, but to no avail

Guys - Anyone here has any idea on this issue or faced similar issue and overcome the same. I do not buy the motherboard argument for now. Any help please ? I am losing faith on Sony as a product and their service capabilities as well
Old 25th April 2019, 12:16   #8877
Senior - BHPian

I am Looking to buy 43 or 49 inch 4K Non-Smart TV. It should support HDR-10. Searched online but could not find any Non-smart TV from reputed brands. Any suggestions?
Old 26th April 2019, 07:47   #8878
BHPian

I am not sure if you will get 4k Non-Smart TVs. Everyone prefers the whole bundle now, specifically in the larger screens.
Old 26th April 2019, 15:57   #8879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this TV that you mentioned on the Gogi Tech YouTube review. Apparently, it is a online only model. Will have a look see at this soon.
Old 26th April 2019, 16:37   #8880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am Looking to buy 43 or 49 inch 4K Non-Smart TV. It should support HDR-10. Searched online but could not find any Non-smart TV from reputed brands. Any suggestions?
Can you try Panasonic 43" 4K TV in FX600 series. i believe it supports HDR 10

Most Viewed