Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:39   #8116
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Just my personal research and thoughts. Not here to convert anyone, also I might not be able to respond to individual queries as I do not have access to local TVs. I just wish to objectify the TV buying experience and give reference to those who are in market for one currently.

I had strong biases towards the brands (Sony in particular), after all when you plonk a bundle on something you want to watch and use for about 1-2 hours a day then some satisfaction/assurance of quality is warranted. This is no longer the case with one brand/series/size. 42inch might be better in a company compared to 55inch or 65inch. Not all are made equal.

Rant: Due to electronic cycles and integration of latest technology the TV manufactures have lost sight of the thing that is most important for the consumer. PQ has been lost with LCD-LED it is now a rocket science to figure out why and which TV is better. Permutations and combinations of components and prices thrown in the mix = big data analyst's wet dream.
3D was buzz word but they never told you the fact that it was for 55 ich and bigger and that too for maybe 2 people in the room for rest it was fuzzy and washed out image. Content is/was not easy to generate and high energy bills, headache aches (due to viewing) were to ensue.

Curved TV, to initially better the 3D experience but again with same issues of PQ taking a hit and not everyone having a great view angle. It looked rather silly on the wall mount.

Thin is not better because if it is thin it must be side lit and not back lit. It makes dark screen unbearable. Backlit panels over thin panels. OLED is different for the diodes themselves light and do not require another source.

Vorsicht : Ok, the post gets a bit technical and suggestive here.

What to do if you are in for one.

Suggestion: Wait, if can't then buy the biggest best 1080p TV with best PQ.

Wait if you can, suck it up with bad quality and repairs to survive 1 year. The pitch with change, here in Europe (current abode) none of the panels are competing for curve or 3D the sales pitch has died. People demand PQ and so 4k is also not cutting the ice.

For those who are buying 4k in India, it is future proofing but unless you have access to SUHD from Samsung or the panel specifically mentions it is HDR10 or DolbyVision ready please buy a expensive 1080p with contrast rather than a washed out 4k. Samsung is the biggest winner and rest of the industry is reeling. Sony in EU (checked 4 countries) is playing only in high-end of the market Xseries and that too sucks, don't know why. Panasonic is using LG panels (marking up the picture engine and demanding premium). The rest are just fringe players not to be taken seriously. LG has played the LED game well but it has at number 3 in the market, however they have invested heavily where Sony should have = OLED and seeing is believing those TVs throw everyone out of the water, no contest. In EU, All the panels are flat again and bigger is better mantra continues.

OLED latest gen do not have the purple hue and motion blur is sorted out, latest OLEDs are also approved by both UHD alliance and Dolby Vision.
The -ves are: Still very expensive, the life of the panel, burn in effect and the brightness.

Help links.
Please query your current contenders.

Color Gamut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3. Because next time your salesperson bumps up the settings and tells you to look at greens and crispness of the UHD content they are playing inshore, ask them to put HD channel from your setup provider. Note, not many panels reach P3 (97% = very expensive TVs and 95% = still expensive siblings).

I recently had to send back Samsung SUHD 9 series panel back because of the clouding effect. And believe me it was very expensive latest TV. Please do not rely on the brand, Sony/Panasonic and others have terrible displays. Clouding is when you put all the lights off in your viewing room and watch a dark movie/just make your TV display a dark solid image sample (maybe stream it from your USB or Laptop). The panel will show how well the panel has been put together. My panel had a little bit of light bleed from right and clouding, it got 50% better after getting settled for 5 days and after 8 days the technical expert wanted to loosen few screws on the back of the panel, it did not help any bit and that is when I sent it back.

So end game:

1. Check your contender as an entity do not rely on laurels of it's sibling in another price point/screen size.
2. PQ > Size
3. 4k HDR10 + Dolby Vision > bigger size 1080p PQ > 4k with low PQ > 1080p lower PQ/size.
4. External Smart Hub > SmartTV.

Cheers!
Old 10th May 2016, 22:07   #8117
BANNED

Facing problem with panasonic.

One month old led panel broke by just wiping the screen (with gentle pressure) & they aren't replacing under warranty, they quote 24k for panel + installation charge ( saying warranty void as its broke so have to pay installation + delivery charge) I told them to take back the led, return me the cost minus the panel cost, they aren't listening, I'm fed up the the service centre they have assigned me, they aren't helping.
Like to what Should I do or where I can buy the panel from market/online ? I guess panasonic use lg panel ?
Old 10th May 2016, 22:24   #8118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One month old led panel broke by just wiping the screen (with gentle pressure) & they aren't replacing under warranty, they quote 24k for panel
You have not mentioned size , how much did the new one cost you? Unless you have insurance it will be hard to get a claim from the manufacturer. Your best bet will be to involve dealer from where you purchased this and let him try to negotiate some better rates for the screen. Normally these things don't break so easily unless something hits or is dropped. Are you the one who was cleaning or someone else in which case this reason can be probably an afterthought

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th May 2016 at 22:27.
Old 10th May 2016, 22:45   #8119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You have not mentioned size , how much did the new one cost you? Unless you have insurance it will be hard to get a claim from the manufacturer. Your best bet will be to involve dealer from where you purchased this and let him try to negotiate some better rates for the screen. Normally these things don't break so easily unless something hits or is dropped. Are you the one who was cleaning or someone else in which case this reason can be probably an afterthought
Led costed me 48k & size is 42 inch, I wasn't cleaning it was cleaned by servant & no question of dropping as it was wall hung, servant denied of any mishap, still can't say about him though, after market repair is possible ?

Last edited by unknown : 10th May 2016 at 22:46.
Old 11th May 2016, 03:52   #8120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
after market repair is possible ?
Aftermarket repair is possible by calling the company technicians directly. I have a Sony contact in Chennai, not sure which city you are in.
Old 13th May 2016, 13:05   #8121
BHPian

Sony KDL 800C / D Users ;

Have been using 800D for the last one week and its a fantastic machine.

Got some quires on the application of the TV.

1. I am not able to play *.mp4 files on the aforesaid Android TV. Did anyone face similar issues ? Sometimes *.avi files also do not play.

2. Installed vlc player on the TV, But I am not able to select any videos or anything. VLC doesn't give me an option to choose. Wondering if VLC is optimised for TV play. Do MX player work better ?

3. Did anyone upgrade the software on the aforesaid machines ? Location at

http://www.sony.co.in/support/downlo...ct/kdl-50w800d

Expecting to hear your inputs and suggestions.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:41   #8122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Well the Dealer sent the replacement TV and according to him that was a "BRAND NEW" one. To my surprise again the the Power on Time on this TV was 330+ hours..WOW ! Please avoid Unilet Stores.Checked few reviews online and everyone seems to complain about dealer delivering Display TVs.(Wish I had read the reviews before I purchased the TV!)
I picked up a LG43LF6300 from Unilet yesterday as they were offering the best price. Since I had already seen this comment here, I made it very clear to the sales guy that it should not be a display piece. Got the TV delivered today and installation also happened by evening. Checked the total power on time and it was 1 hour. And the packaging also looks direct from factory

Any idea what is the cost of the swivel mount that comes with the TV? I have ordered a 360 degree mount and the installation technician has offered to buy back the original mount for Rs. 500.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:47   #8123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I picked up a LG43LF6300 from Unilet yesterday as they were offering the best price. Since I had already seen this comment here, I made it very clear to the sales guy that it should not be a display piece. Got the TV delivered today and installation also happened by evening. Checked the total power on time and it was 1 hour. And the packaging also looks direct from factory

Any idea what is the cost of the swivel mount that comes with the TV? I have ordered a 360 degree mount and the installation technician has offered to buy back the original mount for Rs. 500.
Total power on time should be ZERO basically and when you turn on the TV it should take you to the TV settings directly with some cartoon thing playing . The original mount Def costs more like 3k or something. I suggest you keep it instead of giving it for 500 to the technician and later sell it on olx that will at least fetch you 1 grand.
Congratulations on the TV
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:16   #8124
Senior - BHPian

What a coincidence, I picked up the same model last week but in 32" screen size i.e. LG32LF6300.

Intrigued to know about this swivel stand/mount. Is this a wall mount or a table stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Old 23rd May 2016, 23:39   #8125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Total power on time should be ZERO basically and when you turn on the TV it should take you to the TV settings directly with some cartoon thing playing . The original mount Def costs more like 3k or something. I suggest you keep it instead of giving it for 500 to the technician and later sell it on olx that will at least fetch you 1 grand.
Congratulations on the TV
Thanks. Yes, the initial startup was some angry birds type cartoon. I checked the power on time after a while. Took some time to figure out. So 1 hour is probably correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What a coincidence, I picked up the same model last week but in 32" screen size i.e. LG32LF6300.

Intrigued to know about this swivel stand/mount. Is this a wall mount or a table stand?
It is a wall mount and allows you to slight bring the TV back and forth and left and right. After looking at the actual thing, I realized it is just a hype.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:13   #8126
BHPian

Hey all,

I bought a Sony 102 cm (40) KDL-40W700C from Vijay Sales, Baner, Pune. Paid around 48K for it. Experts please share available inputs on the same. Prospective buyers can also share their purchase dilemma.

Sundeep
Old 21st June 2016, 13:50   #8127
BHPian

I've been eyeing the VU 50" Full HD LED TV @32-34k (depending on offers)

Anyone out here who has this particular model or some other model by VU? Online reviews seem positive overall apart from a few negative ones. So, just want to make sure that it's not a bad idea investing 30k+ on this brand and later regretting it
Old 21st June 2016, 15:11   #8128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Anyone out here who has this particular model or some other model by VU? Online reviews seem positive overall apart from a few negative ones. So, just want to make sure that it's not a bad idea investing 30k+ on this brand and later regretting it
Bought a 32" LED TV for my mom in law some years ago. We had some problems just after installation when the set used to emit a loud hum that interfered with the audio. Needed a couple of visits from the repairman during warranty period.
Other than that it's quite good: decent picture and nice features. It was among the cheapest options when we picked it up.
Since you are opting for 50" am sure you'll have many good options like Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sony. Do check out everything before deciding.
Old 21st June 2016, 17:47   #8129
BHPian

Planning to purchase a 55inc LED TV and checked lg-55LH600T. Any body has purchased it let me know the feedback. @croma they are quoting 99K and 7K exchange offer for a old CRT monitor
Old 2nd July 2016, 01:45   #8130
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any experience buying this TV http://www.amazon.in/LG-43LF6300-inc...ords=lg+lf6300 from Amazon?

Its the LG 43LF6300. And after delivery if I discover some hours already on the TV will I be eligible for a return?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks