Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 15:34   #8236
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Prices are mouth watering, but how do you plan to get it shipped?

One is the voltage 110V vs 220V, another is NTSC, PAL. I guess all TVs support both these formats, isn't it? Apart from these, anything else to be considered?
NTSC/PAL are old systems for Coax cable age. Read this to know more:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...stions-604982/
Old 17th October 2016, 16:35   #8237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
@naveenroy :

US cablenetworks & set top boxes follow different systems from here......
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Prices are mouth watering, but how do you plan to get it shipped?....
Ooops, I missed mentioning the fact that friend plans to use it in the US. That is why I was skeptical of content being available here. But is enough content available in the US?
Old 18th October 2016, 15:31   #8238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I have an older 49 by LG. It does have webos. Mine is a 49LH750T smart full HD. I am extremely happy with the clarity and colours. More importantly the blacks are black and not varying shades of black. The sound is just above average and that suits me. If you are the type who's requirement is great sound, get yourself a sound bar.

As regards to settings don't be worried about the lag. It's only the first 2 days that you will be using the settings. Once you arrive at your required settings you will not go back to it. Go ahead and buy. Search around the web. Amazon and the likes are all at sale now.You will not get the perfect TV just like you won't get that perfect car. There will have to be a few compromises.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rb3TV3VLMdUBVw

This is the video online with regards to the model 49LH600T which really scared me esp when your putting down so much money. It took 26 seconds for the settings options to open up from the youtube app when it was playing a video.

Arjun is yours on the WebOs 2.0 or 3.0? And do you face lags especially when you change channels cause that's really irritating or when you have to move from one app to the other or accessing apps like YouTube?
Old 18th October 2016, 17:31   #8239
Senior - BHPian

The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I guess mine is webos 2.0. I have faced no serious issues with regards to lag. I guess the video is all about some pathetic wifi connection.
When you hit settings a quick setting menu on the right will pop up. You have to scroll down to the end for the advanced setting. When you click on advanced it takes about a sec for the full menu to pop up on the left side of the screen. From hear it is normal operations.

When surfing regular channels it does take less than a second to move from channel to channel. Why don't you go see a display model in a store ?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1476791999.768981.jpg  

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 18th October 2016 at 17:39.
Old 18th October 2016, 22:01   #8240
BHPian

purchased a Sony 48W562D TV through Paytm. Got it installed today and the picture/sound seems to be pretty decent for the price. It effectively costed me Rs.49000 (after 10k cashback) and I was able to avail the 2nd year complimentary panel warranty from Sony.

Was initially planning to buy some VFM brand's 50" TV, but finally decided to go with Sony as I wanted decent audio quality - since I don't have any plan to add a soundbar or a HT setup for this TV.
Old 19th October 2016, 09:26   #8241
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the market for a new Sony tv. I can get a 43" 4K HDR TV or a 50" 3D TV for about the same price. Which one should I go for? Also only android or smart TV is available. I'm worried about updates over the next 8-10 years and about the increased power consumption. Kindly advice.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:27   #8242
Senior - BHPian

Hi there, I have a Panasonic Plasma 42XT50D.

Since the past 1 year, the TV wouldn't switch on immediately after say a power outage. But if we kept the switch off for say 10 mins, it'd switch ON in the next try.

This wasn't a problem since it'd mostly be kept ON for the whole day 8am to 12 midnight coz my parents would use it to watch YouTube as well as some of my mums favorite shows.

This morning it seems like the TV gave up. Doesn't switch ON no matter how many hours it's kept off.

I couldn't find any info online but I'm still searching. Actually I'm guessing it'll be a loose wire connection, but would like to know any inputs so the technician may consider other relevant possibilities too.
Old 28th October 2016, 16:10   #8243
BHPian

The LED Conundrum

Planning to buy an LED given the Diwali offers that are available at this time of year. Requirements from TV are:
1) Good TV with decent picture and sound quality (do not want to invest into a sound bar or any other sound equipment)
2) Should be able to view content from mobile (over wifi) & laptop (connect via HDMI)
3) If support for .mp4 & .flv is available out of the box to play from a USB / HDD even better
4) Full HD is good enough for me. Currently am having a SD set top box from Fastway so that should connect to LED till we upgrade to HD Set top box
5) Plan to go for a brand which offers extended warranty as well for peace of mind, so the longer the warranty the better it would be, all other things being equal

So with these in mind went to Sony showroom and looked at options available. Am currently having a Samsung TV (non LED thick fat ones) with not much knowledge of LED TVs. Told the showroom guy that am looking for a 40~43 inch Full HD TV, no smart features / 3D needed. He started showing me a model but when I mentioned the ability to stream content from mobile devices or view photos / videos from mobile onto TV he said that would not work without a smart TV. So back to smart TV range we were unfortunately.

Looked at 752D series (~ INR 52K for 43”, internet TV, Photo Frame mode, FM Radio, screen mirroring) & W800D series (~ INR 59K for 43”, Android TV) & lastly W950D series (top of the line, integrated with a camera for Skype, Triluminos Display, sub-woofer as part of stand, ~INR 71K). I felt that 71K was a bit too much for a 43” and it offered a Skype camera which was not needed, the woofer bit was tempting though. So kinda ruled it out. Am confused between the basic internet TV (W752D series) versus android TV (W800D series).

Post the visit happened to talk to a friend and we were discussing how many HDMI ports are actually needed. He said that to avoid the hassle of connecting every time we generally put connections for needs like one for HD set top box (in future for me), one for laptop if we connect often and one for a gaming console if at all (I do not play games so not applicable). Then when I mentioned the mobile streaming and need for Smart TV he mentioned about Chromecast and how it could also achieve similar results (see my level of ignorance about things). So discussion went back to buying a basic non-smart FULL HD TV and add Chromecast to it to make it smarter but that causes a problem since one HDMI is used by Chromecast and one by set top box leaving none for laptop (or every time laptop has to connect, remove Chromecast and connect laptop to it).

Have not looked at Samsung / LG. Had a brief look at Panasonic also and the new range which is being advertised. Need help on following points

1) Which brand to consider. Am inclined towards Sony at the moment and there was a video few pages back talking about how Sony has good color reproduction, if not best
2) How does Internet TV (752D) differ from Android TV (W800D series)? To me they appear to be same except that in case of Android TV I can install some more applications from playstore and in case of Internet TV it is enabled to connect to internet via in-built wifi and has few pre-installed applications only. Anything else?
3) Sony is offering 2 year warranty as standard and 2 additional years could be purchased. Given some of the instances of TV going kaput, am inclined to take the extended warranty. Am told that it covers panel only from 2nd year onwards and is that good enough?
4) Currently I plan to connect my Fastway SD set top box to it and am told that it can connect to these LEDs as well (needs 3 wires, black, red and yellow) to connect. Are there any problems in connecting?
5) There was some discussion on making a regular TV a smrt TV via Chromecast and the verdict seemed split down the middle. Any further thoughts on it?

Anything else which should be considered while buying an LED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I've recently gifted myself SONY W800D 50" for 80K. I had to replace my 10y old 29" SAMSUNG CRT tv.
Any feedback around this would be great Ramsagar. How is your experience with the Sony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
From recent personal experience Sony has a better service capability for the consumer, cheaper repairs. I have two Sony LCDs and one LED LG. My 46" Sony needed repairs for a red screen and the LG had no video. LG refused to diagnose the board and flatly asked me to replace the board. Cost me 8k. Sony replaced a chip and cost me 2200. I will probably never buy any tv brand other than a Sony.
Thanks for this. Re-affirms my confidence in Sony. No disrespect to other brands, just a personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Honestly, in terms of picture quality, component quality and calibration/features.. there is no contest, Sony kicks the Panasonic to the kerb like a champ. Sony is simply too big to be dethroned by any brand, Samsung, LG or Panasonic.. they all tried and failed - quality wise.
Thanks for this input dark.knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So finally zeroed in for this model
Sony it is finally - Bravia 40" KVL562D Series.

Got it for 47K from offline store - Mittal Electronics, Pitampura, Delhi.

This TV has all the features I was looking for - Smart TV facility, Built in woofer, power surge protector, 2016 introduced model.

I will share my detailed feedback once I start using it after the installation.
@bluevolt - please share your feedback on this model as well. The additional points you mentioned about power surge protector (X Protection Pro), do they really make a difference or are marketing gimmick?
Also, this is an internet TV so in terms of apps (youtube, netflix etc.) you have what comes pre-loaded or have you been able to install some more apps as well (difference between android n internet TV)?

Any inputs / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Dhanteras to all

Cheers,
S
Old 28th October 2016, 16:48   #8244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
The LED Conundrum
Any feedback around this would be great Ramsagar. How is your experience with the Sony?
SONY it is. I'm big fan of the brand. I've purchased 2 SONY TV's : W800B for my father that was last year and W800D for myself. Both are 50". If you need a better PQ, SONY gives best. If it is Features/Money etc. look for others.

Non-Triluminos : Displays NATURAL colors, very soothing color combinations "Red flowers", "Green lawns" are displayed as is. My personal choice.

Triluminos series : I feel the PQ is more enhanced by brighter colors. Imitating other brands. "Red flowers" are more RED than natural.
Please compare both W800, W950 side by side. You would notice that.

Hence I went for W800 series. I've hook up 5.1channel HT to the setup. It is AWESOME.

I would advise W800 43". If money permits 50"
Old 28th October 2016, 20:35   #8245
Senior - BHPian

@Ramsagar: you might have this TV for the next 10 years. How is Sony about providing updates to the Android system? What is the boot up time? What is the power consumption? Sony doesn't have any TV above 40" without Internet or android features.
Any brand where I can get a simple LED TV with no features other than large screen size and good sound.
Old 28th October 2016, 20:41   #8246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@Ramsagar: you might have this TV for the next 10 years. How is Sony about providing updates to the Android system? What is the boot up time? What is the power consumption? Sony doesn't have any TV above 40" without Internet or android features.
Any brand where I can get a simple LED TV with no features other than large screen size and good sound.
I bought a samsung 43inch FHD LED (J5100 : non-smart, joy series) TV last year and I have been very happy with it. Connected chromecast and bose solo 5 system and its smarter and louder than ever
Old 28th October 2016, 21:42   #8247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He started showing me a model but when I mentioned the ability to stream content from mobile devices or view photos / videos from mobile onto TV he said that would not work without a smart TV. So back to smart TV range we were unfortunately.
Invest in a streaming device like Chromecast for INR 3000. As long as your TV has an HDMI port, you are good to go to stream any content from a laptop / phone.
Old 28th October 2016, 22:17   #8248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Check LG.
Just got a 43 inch Full Hd for living room. Non smart as my parents only watch set up box. Price is around 33k. PQ is really good in both SD and HD. Audio sound is crisp and clear.
Old 29th October 2016, 22:30   #8249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@bluevolt - please share your feedback on this model as well. The additional points you mentioned about power surge protector (X Protection Pro), do they really make a difference or are marketing gimmick?
Also, this is an internet TV so in terms of apps (Youtube, netflix etc.) you have what comes pre-loaded or have you been able to install some more apps as well (difference between android n internet TV)?

Any inputs / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Dhanteras to all

Cheers,
S
Over two weeks since I am using this TV. And initial impressions are really good.

HD content quality is mind blowing and SD channels are good enough when routed through HDMI cables streamed using an HD box (Tata sky HD in my case).

My TV is SMART - it streams wi-fi content, mirrors my phone on the screen, has preinstalled apps - especially Youtube streaming is seamless. I am not much worried about more apps or their instalability as I can use any app via my android phone mirroring. Most important part is the picture quality, sound quality and internet connectivity. And with a mini subwoofer in this TV, sound quality is appreciable as well.

I will not suggest you to go for Android TV at this stage. They are still evolving and I would not want to replace my TV every 2-3 years) just like we have to replace our Android Smartphones due to their specification changes every year and new version rolling out and previous versions getting sluggish on old hardware. I am afraid if that happens to Android TVs as well.

In our family - it is minimum 10 years life that we expect from TV. Our first TV bought in 1986 lasted till 1996. We bought a 21" Colored Videocon CRT in 1996 that we phased out in 2006 (it is still in working condition). A Sony LCD came in 2006 which has ZERO breakdowns till date, still using, switched to different room. Now I have got this 40" Sony LED that I expect to use till 2026. The component quality of Sony is unmatched.

So it is very important to buy stuff that gives you maximum bang for you bucks. I will strongly recommend SONY!
Old 29th October 2016, 23:23   #8250
Senior - BHPian

@kvish; @Eddy; you misunderstood me. I have a Sony Bluray player which also acts as my NAS server and is connected to the net. I would like to buy Sony to use Braviasync. But all Sony TV >32" with 4K seem to be Android only. I want a dumb TV. Something to just display what it receives at the HDMI port at high resolution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks