Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 14:57   #8041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I purchased a Sony Full HD TV KLV 32 NX500 in March 2010. It has been doing well till last month. Since the last month I am seeing double images and some horizontal lines at the bottom of the display.

After a few checks he confirmed that the entire panel needs replacement and would set me back by Rs13500/-.

So I am wondering if I should just pack this TV and go for a 32" HD LCD from Micromax at the same cost of the Sony LCD screen itself, or take the plunge and the get the panel changed in my existing TV itself. The replaced panel comes with 1 year warranty. Please advise.

-Ilango
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
ask the guy if he can change components. My friends Sony 32 recently had board issues and was first told the board needs to be changed. On pushing the technician to find a cheaper solution he finally did it by component change at a total cost of 1800.
I am also facing a display issue with my Sony EX 400 Series 40-Inch LCD purchaced in 2012. The Sony technician says that he can try fixing the board but won't gurantee anything. Moreover, the fix will either work or will distroy the panel requiring a replacement board worth approx 9k. The replacement will come with a 3 months warranty only.

The technician is suggesting (read persuading) me to sell off the TV now while it is still working for around 10k and buy a new one. He even offered to arrange for the sale, which leads me to believe that it would be an easy fix. But how do I trust him with the repair now?
Old 28th March 2016, 15:21   #8042
Distinguished - BHPian

Having spent some 10k over the past couple of years with 2 repairs on my LG smart TV, I've finally decided to let it go. Would really appreciate some advice.
The biggest size, at the cheapest cost. I watch maybe an hours worth of TV a day, hike it up to 6-7 hours on weekends, maybe 10 on race weekends.
Not brand concious. Not a picto(??)phile. Should be clear, Full HD. USB etc included.
Audio will be taken care of by an external boombox.
Am completely un-averse to the lloyds, micromaxs, etc. Are these reliable? 25k for 40inches seems too hard to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The technician is suggesting (read persuading) me to sell off the TV now while it is still working for around 10k and buy a new one. He even offered to arrange for the sale, which leads me to believe that it would be an easy fix. But how do I trust him with the repair now?
Actually, this is exactly what the LG mechanic tried to pull on me a couple of years ago. Thats the TV that I am getting rid of now. The eventual fix came up to some hundreds of rupees only. I am not saying its the same for you, but usually when they're put to cheat you, they'll scare you, and try to get the unit off of your hands.

Last edited by mayankk : 28th March 2016 at 15:25.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:37   #8043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Am completely un-averse to the lloyds, micromaxs, etc. Are these reliable? 25k for 40inches seems too hard to ignore.
Have experienced the Micromax 40 incher Full HD at a friends place. It is very good and the picture quality is very good for the price paid. Even the audio from the TV is quite loud to fill the viewing room pretty well. Saw one movie and one cricket match. The color rendering is superb!
Old 29th March 2016, 08:55   #8044
BHPian

Quote:
I am also facing a display issue with my Sony EX 400 Series 40-Inch LCD purchaced in 2012. The Sony technician says that he can try fixing the board but won't gurantee anything. Moreover, the fix will either work or will distroy the panel requiring a replacement board worth approx 9k. The replacement will come with a 3 months warranty only.

HI, What was the best offer for your TV?
Old 29th March 2016, 10:45   #8045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have experienced the Micromax 40 incher Full HD at a friends place. It is very good and the picture quality is very good for the price paid. Even the audio from the TV is quite loud to fill the viewing room pretty well. Saw one movie and one cricket match. The color rendering is superb!
What about reliablity? If a 25K micromax works well for 2-3 years and the 50k sony works for 5-6 years, then the overall cost works out to be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI, What was the best offer for your TV?
The repair guy told me, I'll get around 10k. I haven't checked outside.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:03   #8046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Would really appreciate some advice.
The biggest size, at the cheapest cost.
Since you are in Delhi, just go down to Gaffar Market. And invest in the biggest TV you can afford according to your budget. Go for a good brand like Samsung or Sony. Since they are all original but without warranty, hence at almost half the price from the showrooms, invest in a good quality UPS (like a double battery one from Microtek) and you should be good to go. Talking from experience of at least 10 TVs I have bought from there for myself, family and friends.

Cheers...
Old 29th March 2016, 13:58   #8047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about reliablity? If a 25K micromax works well for 2-3 years and the 50k sony works for 5-6 years, then the overall cost works out to be the same...
Not sure on the reliability part, sorry! He has only bought it about 10 months ago and it has been working without a hitch so far.
Old 29th March 2016, 14:18   #8048
Senior - BHPian

My brother in law's Samsung 50+ inches size LED TV saw its display got replaced under warranty and the replaced display panel also developing big patches after the warranty is over.
75K down the drain.
Old 29th March 2016, 14:49   #8049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
invest in a good quality UPS (like a double battery one from Microtek) and you should be good to go. Talking from experience of at least 10 TVs I have bought from there for myself, family and friends.
Cheers...
Will UPS be a better choice or a V Guard type Stabilizer ?
Old 29th March 2016, 16:44   #8050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Will UPS be a better choice or a V Guard type Stabilizer ?
A stabilizer doesn't protect you from sudden power cuts, when the TV is forced to shut down suddenly without a proper power down as you would do with the power button. That is when maximum damage occurs. A UPS anyday over a stabilizer. When it can protect your PC, it is certainly a better choice for a TV. And you get the added advantage of watching for some duration in power cuts.

Cheers...
Old 29th March 2016, 21:13   #8051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A stabilizer doesn't protect you from sudden power cuts, when the TV is forced to shut down suddenly without a proper power down as you would do with the power button....
TVs do not have a controlled shut down; because they do not need it. TVs are simply turned off or turned on. Any 'protection' that is needed is built in. The main danger for TVs is power surges and spikes. A simple voltage guard like Sollatek TV Guard will be sufficient. You can buy these on-line.
Old 29th March 2016, 21:19   #8052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
TVs do not have a controlled shut down; because they do not need it. TVs are simply turned off or turned on. Any 'protection' that is needed is built in. The main danger for TVs is power surges and spikes.
I beg to differ. I had lost a LED TV 5 years back, which was attached on a very excellent Bhurji CVT due to sudden power cuts here in UP. It had all kinds of spike and surge protection and still developed a display issue, and it was just 1 month old. I subsequently shifted to a high quality UPS and have been living happily ever after.

Cheers...
Old 31st March 2016, 12:57   #8053
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

While discussion is happening on a good UPS for tv. I wanted to know of an specific model/brand along with capacity which will serve the purpose for a 50" LED TV. I am looking to buy a 50" LED TV which is going to be hole in my pocket of around 80k. So I want to be safe rather than sorry due to power cuts etc.
Old 31st March 2016, 13:10   #8054
BHPian

I am in plans to get an LED tv, as my 6 years old Panasonic LCD conked off, with a budget of around 60k. I am not keen on buying a big brand, expensive ones as the usage is minimal.

So it's between VU 55" and Philips 50PFL4758.
The main difference between two is the panel and 60Hz vs 120Hz refresh rate.

Any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
While discussion is happening on a good UPS for tv. I wanted to know of an specific model/brand along with capacity which will serve the purpose for a 50" LED TV. I am looking to buy a 50" LED TV which is going to be hole in my pocket of around 80k. So I want to be safe rather than sorry due to power cuts etc.
HI Otto,

UPS/Stabilizer are passive devices i.e there will be a lag in stabilization before the output is send to the device. By the time the regulated supply reaches the Tv it will be mostly damaged. Why don't you invest in a good power surge protector? It's very effective and pocket friendly too.
Old 31st March 2016, 14:16   #8055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I would suggest you get one of these: http://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-tvg...mdk6sftr3dbhh4

Most Viewed