Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 12:39   #7936
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why nobody is buying Plasma anymore? They are better and cheaper than the LED TVs, aren't they? The LED wins only in brightness.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-v...icture-quality

Edit: Ok, they are officially dead.
LG introduced some new models at the beginning of 2014, but stopped in June 2015. I never saw any superiority with LED's over Plasma but may be profit margins are thinner and so they stopped. I still love my Samsung 43" Plasma while playing Blue ray disc or HD telecast of cricket matches, very pleasing to your eyes with crispness.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:23   #7937
Oxy
BHPian

I still use a Panasonic Plasma - X30. Three years done and zero issues so far, touchwood.
Old 6th November 2015, 20:10   #7938
BHPian

Am in the market for a 48 to 55 inch LED. Budget is not a constraint but it should be VFM.

My current setup is Yamaha YHT 299 5.1 connected with a dedicated Windows Laptop acting like a Media server along with a Tata sky HD box. Broadband is ACT 30mbps working as it should.

Now, contemplating whether to go in for a 4K screen or a FHD. Last few pages suggest FHD and I agree with the most part.

With a dedicated laptop, do I really need the smart feature? I have XBMC installed on the laptop which does a good job of streaming/Playing/controlling all my media content over a beautiful interface through the smartphone.

Watch a lot of downloaded FHD movies, YouTube, HotStar etc. apart from Tata sky channels.

Thinking about Samsung 50J5500 Smart which is an import model available on ebay for approx 55k. I can also go for the 50j5100 which is non smart for 46k. Or Samsung 55JU6400 UHD smart available for 88k on ebay. Many friends have bought imported TVs with dealer warranties in past few years and none of them has any complaint. I have also bought other electronics through this channel without company warranty and never faced any negative situation. Couple times got defective product which was promptly exchanged without much fuss.

Which of the above should I go for? Also can you suggest equivalent Sony/LG/Toshiba etc. models. Am a bit skeptical about VU/Micromax/Videocon etc. in terms of reliability as have read many bad reviews and seen bad experiences around.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2015, 21:19   #7939
BHPian

okay...
smart vs not so smart tv - I faced the same conundrum but the difference when I was in the market was substantially more so I bought a not so smart led tv and hooked a chromecast and was on my way. saved $$$
Sound - Like you I also had alternative arrangements for reproducing sound so did not spend extra on built in speakers.
4K - Will not offer returns in the foreseeable future.
Since you are gonna be spending a substantial amount on this purchase make sure you hv warranty of at least 3 yrs. Someone on this thread mentioned a 5 yr warranty - excellent! Make sure you walk through the fine print with a fine comb.
I have a VU and when I look at the prices being asked for similar sz from sony etc it always brings a smile to my face. Do hv a look and then have a hard look again..!
Best of luck and hope you hv hrs of happy viewing..!👍
Old 6th November 2015, 21:58   #7940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
okay...
smart vs not so smart tv - I faced the same conundrum but the difference when I was in the market was substantially more so I bought a not so smart led tv and hooked a chromecast and was on my way. saved $$$
Sound - Like you I also had alternative arrangements for reproducing sound so did not spend extra on built in speakers.
4K - Will not offer returns in the foreseeable future.
Since you are gonna be spending a substantial amount on this purchase make sure you hv warranty of at least 3 yrs. Someone on this thread mentioned a 5 yr warranty - excellent! Make sure you walk through the fine print with a fine comb.
I have a VU and when I look at the prices being asked for similar sz from sony etc it always brings a smile to my face. Do hv a look and then have a hard look again..!
Best of luck and hope you hv hrs of happy viewing..!👍
How old is your Vu? Did you face any issue till now? As i bought videocon tv for the first time i was little scared. But when i look at the price and warranty i get, i feel little better
Old 6th November 2015, 22:32   #7941
BHPian

Does anyone know when Xiaomi will be launching their Mi TV? It looks amazing on paper! Also, are there any TVs which offer similar features, are about 47"-50" at least and cost below 70,000? My LED just failed after nearly 2.5 years and I am looking for a replacement.
Old 7th November 2015, 19:20   #7942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Am in the market for a 48 to 55 inch LED. Budget is not a constraint but it should be VFM
So I went around showroom hopping and stumbled upon a pleasant surprise. Was looking around for the usual suspects Samsung/LG/Sony when a 2016 Ford Mustang promo video caught my eye. At first looked like a 4K so I dismissed. But after some time had a closer look and it was FHD.

The culprit was Phillips 55PFL5059. Yes, it was so awesome it looked like those 3 lac rupee TVs. Got hooked and checked it in every aspect. Played same video on the next best Panasonic 50 and another Sony 48. But the Phillips totally blew me away. The black interior of the Mustang were really black and the grainy texture of the dash and gear looked so sharp and realistic.

I went with IPS as my target in my mind but both the IPS brands LG and Panasonic were no match for the Phillips.

List price was 69990. Similar LG retails for 1.1 lacs and Panasonic was for same price. The sales rep will check for further discount while I will go with home minister tomorrow to finalize the deal.

Will keep you guys updated.

PS: Thanks Cowardly Lion for the inputs.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 7th November 2015 at 19:21.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:11   #7943
BHPian

What's the best Price of SONY Bravia KD-43X8500C.

If anyone has bought recently, kindly update the performance and any hanging & heating issues. Sony has discounted on 49" Model by 15%.

Just in a fix, whether to go for this or pay half the amount with almost same features on VU. I can't increase the Size considerable due to limitations on the viewing distance, or else Budget is not a constraint.

Please advice..
Old 10th November 2015, 14:37   #7944

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

If anyone has bought recently, kindly update the performance and any hanging & heating issues. Sony has discounted on 49" Model by 15%.

Just in a fix, whether to go for this or pay half the amount with almost same features on VU. I can't increase the Size considerable due to limitations on the viewing distance, or else Budget is not a constraint.

Please advice..
As I understand, as per your requirement(s) you can consider samsung's one of offerings in 4K range, model named "JU6670". In a relatively smaller estate than Sony's you can experience the the same joy of watching TV. Thanks to curved design which aids in helping in reduction of pupil movement to reach corners.
Old 10th November 2015, 15:47   #7945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

Please advice..
The viewing distance should be >= 1.5 and <=2.5 times the diagonal of the tv.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3Woqpt1IZ8q/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

Last edited by Cowardly Lion : 10th November 2015 at 15:52.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:35   #7946
Senior - BHPian

A big batch of us from tbhp had bought the Panasonic plasma pv80d , 42 inch in mid to late 2008, still going strong, not a single issue ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I still use a Panasonic Plasma - X30. Three years done and zero issues so far, touchwood.
Old 14th November 2015, 23:24   #7947
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Went to Bajaj electronics today near Panjagutta, Hyderabad. They had 5059 series Philips TV in sizes 55 and 50 inches. Initial prices quoted were 65k for 55 inches and 57k for 50 inch tv.

They were also offering 5 year's extended warranty from Philips as part of Diwali offer. Looked quite lucrative deal to me. Didn't took the plunge as I will need tv only in early next year.

Last edited by ottocycle : 14th November 2015 at 23:25.
Old 15th November 2015, 08:45   #7948
BHPian

Picked up a VU 40-inch LED TV on Flipkart during the Big Billion Day event. Got it for Rs. 18200, which I think is incredible value-for-money. Paid 2.6K for an additional 2 year warranty from VU TV site directly.

Coming to the TV itself, the picture quality is incredible. Colors stand out (a bit too much and needed to be toned down). HD content looks amazing. SD content looks good too except really old content (e.g. Bollywood movies from 70s or earlier) which look flaky.

Sound quality is not great, but I understand this is the case with most LED TVs. Playing around with the equalizer helps to an extent.

The HDMI connection slot is very poorly placed and difficult to reach when wall mounted. USB slots are also slightly difficult to access (but not as bad as the HDMI slot). Connecting 2 USB pen-drives is challenging.

Not a very slim model either, unlike my 29 inch Philips LED TV (but then I am comparing a 29 inch tv to a 40 inch tv).

But those seeking value-for-money, look no further. A friend had picked up a 55inch 3D 4K Vu TV earlier, so had confidence in the brand itself. Worth a try.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:24   #7949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Picked up a VU 40-inch LED TV on Flipkart during the Big Billion Day event. Got it for Rs. 18200, which I think is incredible value-for-money. Paid 2.6K for an additional 2 year warranty from VU TV site directly.

Coming to the TV itself, the picture quality is incredible. Colors stand out (a bit too much and needed to be toned down). HD content looks amazing. SD content looks good too except really old content (e.g. Bollywood movies from 70s or earlier) which look flaky.

Sound quality is not great, but I understand this is the case with most LED TVs. Playing around with the equalizer helps to an extent.

The HDMI connection slot is very poorly placed and difficult to reach when wall mounted. USB slots are also slightly difficult to access (but not as bad as the HDMI slot). Connecting 2 USB pen-drives is challenging.

Not a very slim model either, unlike my 29 inch Philips LED TV (but then I am comparing a 29 inch tv to a 40 inch tv).

But those seeking value-for-money, look no further. A friend had picked up a 55inch 3D 4K Vu TV earlier, so had confidence in the brand itself. Worth a try.
We bought a 55 Led from VU and the issues that we faced were quite similar to yours.
1) Did not use the wall mount that came with the TV. Bought one (Tanotis) from amazon.in that allows me to pull the TV away from the wall and or swivel it. This has allowed us unfettered access of the complete back when we want.

2) Even after installing the mount did not want to move the TV around too much so in one usb port installed a USB hub permanently. It basically extends the port from behind the tv to anywhere you want. Again from amazon.in.

3) Since I'm using a home theatre I use the headphone socket in the receiver. The one in the TV is pretty much redundant. But you can get a port extender for headphone as well if you want to use the tv's output - basically a wire with male 3.5mm on one end and female 3.5mm on the other. again length is highly customizable and this can be made at home (little bit of soldering involved though.

4) In one of the remaining USB port permanently attached chromecast and the not smart TV has become almost smart..!

Hope this helps and yes Congratulations on the purchase..!
Old 16th November 2015, 15:08   #7950
BHPian

Planning to buy a Sony SmartTV KDL-43W950C - prices around 80K. Our requirements are FHD, should stream YouTube, we prefer watching movies/TV Series (downloaded) than the regular TV shows, might not even go for a set top box immediately.

I am a bit biased towards Sony, but would be interested in buying from Toshiba/Sharp/Panasonic/LG as well.

Not very sure about VU/Micromax, have been waiting for MiTV for some time now.

Last edited by Ritzvxi : 16th November 2015 at 15:10.

Most Viewed