Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:25   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csenthil
For the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma - 69000/- (I'm not sure) freebie - xbox core system !!! (its price is 19K in Hometown !!)
That's right, however (as per the Panasonic dealer) these are two generation old TVs and old stock is being cleared, so be aware about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csenthil
Panasonic is insisting that plasma will not be obsolete and that they are in it for the long run. Did some research on the net and a lot of people are still betting on the Plasma.
Maybe in India Plasma will disappear??
Panasonic is only insisting but they themselves do not believe in it. That is the reason they have now themselves got into the LCD race, just in case...

It's not an India specific phenomena, looks like this is world phenomenon. Big producers like Sony, LG, Philips are closing their Plasma shops and concentrating on LCD and other newer FPV technologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense
Can anybody tell me why 47" is selling for lower than 42" and is it really worth chosing 47" over 42" ?
The 42" on right is from Ambilight series of Phillips, where there is light which comes from behind the TV (in relation to the picture on TV), that is why it is expensive. It's a novelty, but I don;t think it will appeal to many as it doesn;t make much sense in day to day scenario. There are some demos available on net.
Philips range by and large is bad and not comparable to Sony and Samsung.

Last edited by ST7677 : 22nd October 2007 at 13:34.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:30   #467
BHPian

The 47" philips is the 7422 model. This is philips midrange LCD.
Generally the philips LCDs are 5xxx for the entry level ones, 7xxx for the midrange ones and 9xxx for the topend models.

However the 2800 etc has me confused []

The 7422 has the older pixel plus HD engine whereas the 9532 has the perfect pixel engine which is supposedly superior. also no ambilight which may be gimmicky but i really like it.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:53   #468
BHPian

For 22inch LCD around 20k

If you want to get 22 LCD TV at the price of <20k then

Buy Dell 22in monitor from dell india website ( currently offering 3.1 k discount ) use 600 rs external tuner card + 150 rs speakers..( or best connect it to h.t)

Usually this monitor sells for around 22k now going at ~17k OTR price..
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:21   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody tell me why 47" is selling for lower than 42" and is it really worth chosing 47" over 42" ?
Not sure about the huge price diff but 47" surely makes more sense considering the fact that it's a Full Hd tv.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:01   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
If you want to get 22 LCD TV at the price of <20k then

Buy Dell 22in monitor from dell india website ( currently offering 3.1 k discount ) use 600 rs external tuner card + 150 rs speakers..( or best connect it to h.t)

Usually this monitor sells for around 22k now going at ~17k OTR price..
I had seen an ad yesterday for either a Sansui or Akai lcd tv around 22"s for about 21k
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:25   #471
Senior - BHPian

I have posted this from a paid site which might help all in choosing a LCD (am also planning to buy one once I see a good one in my price):

Once available only with small screens, LCD TVs now come with bigger screens suitable for a household's primary set. The introduction of 37- to 50-inch sets has positioned LCD TVs as strong competition to flat-panel plasma sets. In fact, Sony has stopped offering plasma TVs for the consumer market, instead focusing its flat-panel effort on LCD sets. That illustrates the growing importance of this category.

LCD TVs cost more than comparably sized plasma sets, but the gap is gradually narrowing. Differences in picture quality are narrowing as well. Recent improvements in LCDs address earlier weaknesses at displaying deep black levels, accurate colors, and fast motion. The introduction of some LCD sets with 1080p resolution (also called 1920*1080) has also raised the bar for picture quality.

Regardless of screen size, LCD TVs are only a few inches thick, giving them a small footprint. They're also relatively lightweight--30 pounds or less for midsized models, 60 pounds or so for big-screen sets--so they're easily moved or wall-mounted. But LCD technology, like plasma technology, is fairly new, so long-term reliability of these TVs is still a question. However, preliminary data are encouraging.

Top-selling brands include Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, Magnavox, and Westinghouse. Prices have been dropping steadily at around 25-30% per annum.

Most LCD TVs with screens larger than 20 inches or so are high-definition (HD) models. HDTVs can display the sharpest, most detailed images. On most high-def sets, the resolution is 1024x768 or1366x768. Recently, some 1080p HDTVs have been introduced. With a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, the highest so far, 1080p TVs are the first with the potential to display all 1,080 lines in the most common high-definition format, called 1080i. The improvement is most noticeable on large screens, say, 50 inches and up.

In the US, major-brand LCD HDTVs with 26-inch screens typically start at $1,000; $1,200 to $2,000 for a 32-inch set; and $2,000 to $2,500 for 37-inch set. In all size categories, less-familiar brands sell for hundreds less. A growing number of LCD TVs have even larger screens--up to 50 inches or more--and prices go up along with size. Prices are at least 40% higher in India.

Consider what level of picture quality you're willing to pay for. The best LCD TVs are capable of excellent picture quality, although blacks may not be quite as deep as on a good plasma set. For a main TV or one you'll watch often, it is recommended to buy an HD set with resolution of at least 1024x768. On screens larger than 30 inches or so, 1366x768 has the potential to offer better quality, though native screen resolution in and of itself doesn't guarantee a certain level of picture quality. It's probably not worth paying the premium for a 1080p set with 1920x1080 resolution for screens much smaller than 50 inches. The quality difference isn't as noticeable below that size. ED or standard-definition LCD TV is only for small sets used for casual viewing in the kitchen, for example, where you wouldn't want the cable or satellite box you generally need to receive HD signals. The picture quality almost certainly won't be as good as what you'll get with an HD set.

Check the viewing angle. Viewing angles have improved, so many new LCD TVs display a better image from off-center than older sets did--a must if the TV will be watched by several people at once. Some sets have wider viewing angles than others. Before buying one, see how the picture looks if you step off to the side or move up and down. With some, you'll see a dimmer, somewhat washed-out image as your viewing position angles away, particularly in a vertical direction.

Look for easy-to-use inputs. On many LCD televisions, the connections are on the side or rear of the panel and might be hard to reach. Some larger models have a separate control unit to which you connect all your external audio/video devices, such as a DVD player or cable box. You then have only one cable going from the control box to the panel itself. That's a plus for wall-mounting and can make the inputs easier to access. But it does give you another box to contend with.

Consider a set that doubles as a computer display. If you need a computer display as well as a TV, check connectivity options. An HD set with high native resolution is best for computer use. A standard VGA connection works with all computers; a Digital Visual Interface (DVI) input would be compatible with newer midrange computers.

Survey data found few repair problems during the first year of use for LCD sets from Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:48   #472
Team-BHP Support

We are at the final stage
The candidates are 32" televisions
1. Sony : 12000:1 dynamic contrast ratio 52K
2. LG : 10000:1 dcr 48K
3. Panasonic : 8000:1 dynamic contrast ratio 39K

Panasonic looks like the best value for money right now. Sony has the best picture quality(Demoed them side by side from the same samsung demo CD
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:13   #473
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see Samsung not in the list!!!
Also pl don't go just by the contrast ratio, other specs, look at the pic yourself.

Quote:
BTW both Sony and Samsung have contrast dynamic ratio of 8000:1
source: Sony India : KLV-32V300A (KLV32V300A) : Details

I found Sony and Samsung very comparable and above all others available.
Sony being better with better noise reduction for our standard def signals.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:25   #474
Senior - BHPian

What is a good wide screen TV size recommended for 10-15ft viewing distance? Considering SD cable (85% viewing), DVD (15% viewing)

I have seen the charts available on the net, but I would like to hear from your own personal experiences.

32" seems to small, 40" seems to big, to me 37" seems right, but then not many mfgs have it in that size...
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:25   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We are at the final stage
The candidates are 32" televisions
2. LG : 10000:1 dcr 48K
3. Panasonic : 8000:1 dynamic contrast ratio 39K

Panasonic looks like the best value for money right now. Sony has the best picture quality(Demoed them side by side from the same samsung demo CD
Looks like an old Panasonic model. check out the new one: TX-32LX700. Showroom price was 58K. Its supposed to be full HD, though the showroom guys didn't have a brochure for it. I had checked out all these models and felt the Panasonic & Sony pretty much at par with each other, except the Panasonic came with a Memory card slot and 2 HDMI inputs I think.
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:09   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
What is a good wide screen TV size recommended for 10-15ft viewing distance? Considering SD cable (85% viewing), DVD (15% viewing)
i read somewhere that the viewing distance should be thrice the diagonal length.
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:06   #477
BHPian

st - I am using my 42" 3lcd from a viewing distance of 12 to 15 feet. Pretty comfortable.

tsk if you can bump up your budget from 52k to 58k then you can get the 42" 3lcd - heres the linky for the same - give it a thought

Sony India : KF-42E200A (KF42E200A) : Details

cheers,
j
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:31   #478
Senior - BHPian

Jassi, most dealers do not have that in stock, and Sony said this in a response to a query I sent them

"This has reference to the mail sent by you.We have taken note of your query and hereby inform you that KF-42E200A is currently out of stocks.Hence,it is not available.

We will not be in a position to specify any time frame for availability."

I did consider this strongly for the VFM, but was not even able to see one anywhere here in Bangalore.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:40   #479
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
LCD TVs cost more than comparably sized plasma sets, but the gap is gradually narrowing. Differences in picture quality are narrowing as well. Recent improvements in LCDs address earlier weaknesses at displaying deep black levels, accurate colors, and fast motion.
What about the problem of dead, stuck & hot pixels?
Old 23rd October 2007, 19:58   #480
Senior - BHPian

Haven't seen this ever...

Most Viewed