Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2007, 19:40   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Ah thanks, that was very helpful.

So you mean that there is practically no harmful radiation from a Plasma Display panel and I can safely consider it with toddlers at home...

(of course other issues leading to eye strain would be still there).
All this I said from point of a physics/electronics grad. Quantitative analysis of biological effect on human from plasma v/s CRT is unknown to us.

I never heard anybody had biological cell pattern changed due to EM radiation of TV or bone damaged due to X-ray from TV. Though eye functions are affected by any kind of TV watching for long time. Its subject of study. And all this by-product contribute along with eye straining.

Please make sure about your thoughts from other source.
Old 15th October 2007, 19:52   #422
Senior - BHPian

Hi. Well, i buy LCDs in quantity of 20-30 per month for my business. No, i am not a dealer. The thing is, i got a call from BenQ this morning stating that they have recently launched thier LCDs in India and are offering great discounted prices for the same. They will be coming over to my office tommorow with the price-list. Has anyone used BenQ Lcds? If yes, how are they?
Old 15th October 2007, 21:15   #423

Sony bravia

I hav decided for sony bravia klv-40v300a bcoz of its bravia engine.. and getting for a good deal of 91k ( mrp 99990 )... not going for samsung because the specs r moreover same and in some cases sony has better features than samsung... leaving the glossy finish of the samsung
Old 16th October 2007, 09:41   #424
BHPian

correction

Sorry, Correction for below statements-
Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
2. Direct the same towards phosphor material surface. IN CRT it is Phosphor between negative charged porous screen (Cathode) and in plasma it is transprant conducting surface with low -ve volts.
Please read as -
2. Direct the same towards phosphor material surface. IN CRT it is Phosphor between positive charged porous screen (Anode) and in plasma it is transprant conducting surface with +ve charge.
Old 16th October 2007, 10:44   #425
Senior - BHPian

X- Machine, do check it out yourself by keeping it next to your existing TVs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal
I hav decided for sony bravia klv-40v300a bcoz of its bravia engine.. and getting for a good deal of 91k ( mrp 99990 )... not going for samsung because the specs r moreover same and in some cases sony has better features than samsung... leaving the glossy finish of the samsung
Though on paper Samsung might beat Sony, but Sony's picture quality is anytime better than the Samsung.
And the Gloss Finish - frankly speaking, in real world it (or the blue accent light) doesn't lool so good as Samsung makes it out to be.
But VFM, after including Tata Sky and other discounts you get on Samsung, make Samsung a very compelling option.

If you can afford Sony, go for it. Is 91k the best offer for klv-40v300a??
Old 17th October 2007, 10:58   #426

Quote:
If you can afford Sony, go for it. Is 91k the best offer for klv-40v300a??
As of now this is the best offer I am getting. Samsung maybe a few thousand bucks cheaper but at the end lcd also stands for brand consciousness. A Sony is any day known to be better when it comes to televisions. Any guest coming to your home will see a Sony and be more impressed than a Samsung. I ve seen it!! Not many know about an lcd unless one intends to buy one.

I have a doubt. Will normal cable connection clarity be poor in lcd viewing? And will TataSky or Dishtv solve these problems?
Old 17th October 2007, 12:19   #427
BHPian

I am using tatasky on my sony 42" and the quality is excellent as compared to the local cable wallah I am sure the same holds true for dishtv.

I am not sure about the resolutions provided by these though (maybe 720i) compared to a cable walah (standard definition or 480i sd)
Old 17th October 2007, 12:55   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the resolutions provided by these though (maybe 720i) compared to a cable walah (standard definition or 480i sd)
Can't be 720 coz the TataSky reciever doesn't support HDMI or Component output (which is mandatory for recieving 720i/p).

TS prob uses the same 480 or the slightly better 576 resolution.

I have 720 resolution vids on my computer and TS signal is nowhere close to it.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th October 2007 at 13:02.
Old 17th October 2007, 12:59   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal View Post
Ravi, did you look at Samsung's R81? How do you like that compared to Sony? Any idea what is the price they quoted you on it recently? I am planning to get one soon.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:15   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very True...

I have been waiting for last couple of years to get a good Flat TV under a lac. But even today what you get is mostly crap.

LCDs have blurring and over saturation images (unreal color), the extra brightness they offer tends to create eye strain in home environment.

Plasmas still are not Full HD (1080p), are heavy and fragile, emit radiation (mfgs claim it is safe, but it still does emits radiation), limited Computer connectivity, have burn it issues, consume lots of power.

Every year around this time I start looking at these TVs but still not convinced about replacing the tube with these so called upmarket gadgets :(
I used to be like you till a few months back, and then I bought one anyway. Now I really enjoy watching movies on Television - our friendly neighbourhood video shop is thrilled because we end up picking 2-3 movies EVERY weekend where we used to rent out once in a month earlier.

Go for it - its worth it. I bought Plasma and not LCD - the Panasonic Viera because all Vieras looked like they had the best images of the lot in a showroom filled with Plasmas and LCDs of every size, brand and type.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:40   #431
Senior - BHPian

^^ But plasmas eat tons of power . I heard they consume as much as full loaded AC unit .
Googled an found out a 50 inch will consume 500 watts !

Last edited by black12rr : 17th October 2007 at 13:42.
Old 17th October 2007, 15:11   #432
BHPian

if you want something thats under a lac, then look at lcd projection tvs. I bought my sony 42" 3lcd for 58k and the image quality is excellent. The only difference is you cannot wall mount and there is a vertical viewing angle limitation (60degrees).
In my case i did not want to wall mount and also I am well within the vertical viewing angle of 60 degrees. Horizontal viewing angle is the same as lcd and so is the PQ

Heres the link with prices.
Sony India : 3LCD Projection TV

Sony India : KF-42E200A (KF42E200A) : Details

Note - this tv has the same bravia engine on the inside

I have plenty of friends in aussie, US and UK using lcd/sxrd projection tvs and they swear by the PQ and vfm of these babies Sony also has higher end lcd projection models which are based on SXRD technology and give 1080p and larger sizes (not sold in India yet) FYI mine is 1080i and has 1 hdmi input where i connect my ps3 for hd movies and games

EDIT - note that most dealers are not interested in selling these tvs as they don't make much given the low value, they'd rather make you buy a 1lac 40" lcd/plasma and make that extra buck. As a result they place this tv on the floor below the vertical viewing angle and this makes the PQ look bad compared to the lcds kept at eye level

Last edited by jassi : 17th October 2007 at 15:13.
Old 17th October 2007, 18:23   #433
Senior - BHPian

No Projection TV was ruled out years ago. It just does not cut in.
The picture quality even today is way bad.

I would live with CRT as long as I can, (probably till one day when I stop all this analysis and make an impulse purchase )

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
^^ But plasmas eat tons of power . I heard they consume as much as full loaded AC unit .
Googled an found out a 50 inch will consume 500 watts !
Plasma's do consume more power but not like full A/c!!!
A 42" plasma would consume about 350W, Compared to 180W for a 40" LCD.
So in a year, 4hours a day, will cost about 1k more electricity bill with plasma over LCD. Not really worth considering... is it?

Last edited by ST7677 : 17th October 2007 at 18:29.
Old 17th October 2007, 19:36   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So in a year, 4hours a day, will cost about 1k more electricity bill with plasma over LCD. Not really worth considering... is it?
4 hrs eh ..... I am sure the kids are going to watch a lot more of Cartoon network than that
Old 18th October 2007, 11:28   #435
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone ever used / considered a Home theater projector?
Sony has one for 85k MRP, Just found this on Sony website...
Sony India : VPL-AW15 (VPLAW15) : Details

Please share Pros and Cons...

Most Viewed